Camper fridge not working

Jeremy A.K.
Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 1:32pm
Do any of you guys have any experience working on camper refrigerators ? The freezer is as cold as i would expect a freezer to get ,the fridge ,not so much. I tried gas and AC . I put a thermometer in the fridge and it started to get cold and then stopped going down, the "check" light came on while in auto mode which would be running on AC. I guess ill be reading through google all night looking for stuff to try before we leave friday.
|
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/24/2022 6:15pm
Probably a little fan that's bad?. I think the only cooling is in the freezer area and then they bleed the cold to the fridge portion.
Jeremy A.K.
7/24/2022 6:25pm
After doing some research ,I read about the thermistor . There is an upgrade kit for that unit that people are using . I realized mine wasn't even attached to the aluminum fin. This kit I bought replaceses the thermistor with a thermostat type device that mount on the fridge wall instead of the cooling fin. I guess I'll start there gor now.
Jeremy A.K.
7/24/2022 6:45pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Probably a little fan that's bad?. I think the only cooling is in the freezer area and then they bleed the cold to the fridge portion.
I pray it's nothing behind the fridge , there's no access to anything back there as far as I can tell. It would suck to pull that damn thing out.
Nighttrain
7/24/2022 7:45pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Any chance the freezer door was left open, ice melted, pooled over the refrigerator vent, and froze again when the freezer door was closed blocking the air vent to the lower section? That used to happen to a refrigerator I had in a garage where the kids were always pulling out freezer pops.

The Shop

tuggy450
7/24/2022 8:29pm
Could possibly need freon? Had a boat fridge go on me charged it up fixed. similar but doesn't use the gas option ac/dc
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/3/2022 1:32pm
Dumb question, but is your RV level? Sometimes the refrigerators freak out (especially when operating on LP) if they aren't level.
8/3/2022 4:28pm
Don’t remember the details since it’s been 5ish years ago but my boss who has since retired. Bought a brand new camper out in Ohio or Indy and he had the same issues. Not sure of make and all that but maybe the fridge issue is a thing? Last time I ran into him he was still having trouble and the camper was at the dealer more than not home. Traded it in for something new.
hubbardmx50
8/3/2022 5:00pm
Was your camper parked on an angle recently? Buddy of mine had that issue last winter. We had to pull his fridge out at ocotillo and "burp" it, lean it on its side to get the air pocket out. Worked fine after.
Jeremy A.K.
8/4/2022 9:43am
Was your camper parked on an angle recently? Buddy of mine had that issue last winter. We had to pull his fridge out at ocotillo and...
Was your camper parked on an angle recently? Buddy of mine had that issue last winter. We had to pull his fridge out at ocotillo and "burp" it, lean it on its side to get the air pocket out. Worked fine after.

After some reading I realized the wire needs to come in contact with the fin so I clipped it on , I also learned that sliding it up or down will adjust tje temperature. I used it this way during our trip but did buy a small unit that replaces the thermistor.
peelout
8/4/2022 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2022 1:32pm
could be your vent on the roof or on the side of the trailer is blocked? i had a similar issue the freezer was ice cold but the fridge was warm. my vent was completely blocked by mud-wasp nests.

you could also try pulling the fridge out and rolling it then put it back in. or just tow it down a dirt road for a bit then take it back home and plug it in/turn on the gas.

Post a reply to: Camper fridge not working

The Latest