Californian driving standards???????

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2019 12:10 PM

Recently spent 2 weeks over for the San Diego SX then a two week tour over to Vegas, National Parks and back to San Diego via Palm Springs.
It was very noticeable that by far the worst drivers were in Ca. Driving along freeways in fast lanes with no traffic inside them, refusing to pull over when flashed.
By far the most dangerous was watching them going 60 mph plus in heavy rain, zero visibility tail gating each other with NO LIGHTS on.

It was inevitable that on I-15 heading south to Escondido one of them either hit central divider or back of another car and somersaulted end of end 150 yards in front of us, miraculously missing other vehicles.
Although roof was crushed in to 3* window gap he seemed to still be alive!!!

Seem's like CA drivers just don't know how to drive or handle rain?

|

www.robkinsey.com
http://robkinseyart.wordpress.com
Accountant's only look at the bottom line, whereas an Artist see's it all!

2/20/2019 1:00 PM

So what? You all drive on the wrong side of the road. smile

Those of us who live in the USA don't really do the "flash to pass" thing. Thanks for thinking that "WE" should conform to YOUR standards though. :-)

|

2/20/2019 1:09 PM

I live in Colorado now and I've noticed that there's a Mosh pot of out of state drivers here because of the Many Military bases here. I was wondering why the Cali drivers always go right to the fast lane even though they do 5 MPH under the speed limit?

I've gotten used to passing in the slow (Right) Lane because of it.

|

2/20/2019 1:17 PM

robkinuk wrote:

Recently spent 2 weeks over for the San Diego SX then a two week tour over to Vegas, National Parks and back to San Diego via Palm Springs.
It was very noticeable that by far the worst drivers were in Ca. Driving along freeways in fast lanes with no traffic inside them, refusing to pull over when flashed.
By far the most dangerous was watching them going 60 mph plus in heavy rain, zero visibility tail gating each other with NO LIGHTS on.

It was inevitable that on I-15 heading south to Escondido one of them either hit central divider or back of another car and somersaulted end of end 150 yards in front of us, miraculously missing other vehicles.

ha, oh yea the flash to pass thing probably forced them to stay in the lane and slow down even more just to piss you off.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/20/2019 1:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2019 1:25 PM

Sounds like child's play, you ever driven in Italy? I saw 3 cars tailgating each other at 90mph on an Italian autostrada with the car in the middle being a police car. Awesome country ?

|

I no longer regret my username.

2/20/2019 1:27 PM

Drivers here in Cali are insane. We either drive 5mph under the speed limit in the fast lane, or we go 30mph over the limit, which leads to constant tailgating and nobody moves over; they actually slow down more to piss you off as if to say "F*ck you, I'm going fast enough". Same principle in the rain, 1/2 people are going way too fast and the other 1/2 going way too slow. Frequent high-risk passes on 2 lane highways going uphill (blind). Everyone here is so extremely stressed out while driving and/or totally not paying attention (on the phone, texting, singing, etc). Best thing I ever did was buy a house 1 minute from my work, my stress level has dropped significantly.

|

MCM2 name - RXR_ProKawi24
PS4 Gamertag "Rocko24" - Add me for MES2 (soon to be MES3)

2/20/2019 1:36 PM

Too many people here with varying degrees of skill, and it is far easier to get a driver's license than it likely is in GBR.
Drivers here also don't pay enough attention. It is literally my biggest worry that my wife will cause a horrific accident and not even know why it happened.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

2/20/2019 2:16 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

Those of us who live in the USA don't really do the "flash to pass" thing. Thanks for thinking that "WE" should conform to YOUR standards though. :-)

So are you saying it's okay to sit in the fast lane with no traffic to pass? Just show's ignorance and lack of common courtesy to me?

|

www.robkinsey.com

2/20/2019 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2019 3:37 PM

I deal with the same thing all the time in southern California. It is frustrating as hell. I always wanted s big sticker for the back of my ranger to just say that the left lane is for passing. I used to drive to Riverside and it was insane. I could do 80 the whole way there sometimes in the slow lane because it would be clear, but the other lane would be crowded.

It ain't right!!

Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

2/20/2019 2:42 PM

The best is when they get to the chain control truck in the mountains, get the chains out ... look at tires ... look at the chains ... look ... then put the chains on the back of a front wheel drive car. Freakin hilarious !

|

2/20/2019 3:29 PM

Yes they suck here (not me). If it rains, you'll see a car in the middle of the highway going 35mph. In normal, nice weather a car will merge onto the highway and immediately go over to the left lane and drive slow. I've never seen so many cars with no lights on when it is dark it out, it happens just about every time I am out driving. Lastly, not many people out here in the west use a turn signal ever.

|

2/20/2019 3:55 PM

Ya I noticed, I flew into Chicago rented a car then drove to RedBud for the MXON. Got on the so called freeway and before I knew it I had to stop and pay a 1.25 toll fee, drove another 10-15 miles another stop to pay a figgen buck 25 toll fee, raced to the next stop. so-on-so forth all the way to Michigan line. It was one big mass of racing cars racing to the next toll booth.... What a bunch of shit.
If I had to do it over I'D fly into Detroit so I can go 100 MPH without stopping every 15 miles to pay a toll, probably make it there the same time without the agravasion.

|

2/20/2019 4:25 PM

Seattle area drivers in the snow are the worst. For years when it snowed in this area to the point where the roads were covered, I would always strive to make it into work while many of my coworkers would call in sick or take a vacation day. Hey I moved here from Montana, I know how to dive in the snow, a little snow is not going to keep me from getting into work. It was a matter of pride for me, snow driving ability pride.

But soon I realized that my snow driving pride was not worth getting nailed by a Seattle driver that shouldn't be within a mile of their car when snow is on the roads. So I started taking sick days when it snowed also.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

2/20/2019 4:29 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

robkinuk wrote:

So are you saying it's okay to sit in the fast lane with no traffic to pass? Just show's ignorance and lack of common courtesy to me?

No he's not saying it's okay. He's saying that he's likely one of the dumb asses that drive in the left lane at the speed limit or less and think it's ok. GET THE FUCK OVER IN THE RIGHT LANE ALREADY!

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

2/20/2019 4:30 PM

Florida now has giant lit digital signs every few miles that tell you that the left lane is for passing or you will receive a ticket.. It also says lights on for rain but no hazard lights unless you are under distress or you will be ticketed. I hate when it starts raining and people move into fast lane and slow down and put hazards on.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

2/20/2019 4:32 PM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

ha, oh yea the flash to pass thing probably forced them to stay in the lane and slow down even more just to piss you off.

One note: People in Ohio drive in the left lane slowly-all the time. WTF?

|

2/20/2019 4:35 PM

FLmxer wrote:

Florida now has giant lit digital signs every few miles that tell you that the left lane is for passing or you will receive a ticket.. It also says lights on for rain but no hazard lights unless you are under distress or you will be ticketed. I hate when it starts raining and people move into fast lane and slow down and put hazards on.

Seriously, this too. It's just started in last few years. Driving down the middle of the road with four ways on?

|

2/20/2019 7:34 PM

robkinuk wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

GIwasB4 wrote:

It’s everywhere. 50/50. Id say half will move. The other half are in their own fuckin world. It’s ridiculous. Route 90 is even worse. People pace eachother side by side on a 2 lane freeway. Drives me insane.

|

GP740
Since 1987

2/20/2019 8:55 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

robkinuk wrote:

GIwasB4 wrote:

No he's not saying it's okay. He's saying that he's likely one of the dumb asses that drive in the left lane at the speed limit or less and think it's ok. GET THE FUCK OVER IN THE RIGHT LANE ALREADY!

No, Jethro Clampett Jr., I am not one to cruise in the left lane.

In Alabama, we have a "move over" law.

"yellowhammer news"...Alabama is one of 29 states with a law saying any car moving slower than the “normal speed of traffic” should move over to the right lane. This means even if you’re going the speed limit in the left lane, you should move over if there are others trying to go faster.

|

2/21/2019 1:49 AM

Interesting discussion guys, thanks for your imput. Guess the stupidity of drivers in CA is a cost effective way of "thinning the herd"?wink tongue
Get rid of a few Bros too consumed in their cell phones, getting a hit off their bongs to care!wassat grin grin

|

www.robkinsey.com

2/21/2019 2:21 AM

robkinuk wrote:

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

GIwasB4 wrote:

We call them “fifo’s” at work. Stands for fu***** idiots from Ohio. There is a lot of them.

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

2/21/2019 6:12 AM

There is much to complain about when driving in SoCal. The biggest problem is the godamn foreigners. You can always tell who they are too because they have bad teethe and they drive around flashing their headlights.

|

2/21/2019 7:32 AM

borg wrote:

There is much to complain about when driving in SoCal. The biggest problem is the godamn foreigners. You can always tell who they are too because they have bad teethe and they drive around flashing their headlights.

Can't even spell teeth? grow up Bro! Hopefully you will be part of thinning the herd shortly...……………..wink blink w00t

|

www.robkinsey.com

2/21/2019 8:02 AM

There are good local drivers and shitty ones everywhere.
There are good foreign drivers and shitty ones everywhere.

The problem is, you only remember the shitty ones, and because California (like other places with extremely high density) the odds you encounter one of the shitty drivers is exponentially higher than other places you may be used to.

|

2/21/2019 8:20 AM

JOE_SPROCKETS#1 wrote:

We call them “fifo’s” at work. Stands for fu***** idiots from Ohio. There is a lot of them.

I've been dealing with them a lot on 70 every day, get the hell over if you want to drive 45mph on the interstate, quit using the left lane.

|

Only 2 things that money can't buy, thats true love and homegrown tomatoes.

2/21/2019 8:33 AM

The problem with driving standards in America is that there are no standards. The bar is set very low.

If you want bad driving come to Utah. The name "Utard" is well deserved.

|

No Signature.

2/21/2019 9:06 AM

KDXGarage wrote:

robkinuk wrote:

Technically there is no "fast lane" They are numbered 1,2,3 etc.. #1 would be the "slow" lane and #3 the "fast". Our carpool lanes are a joke here in northern Los Angeles county. the opening in the lines needed to use to move over to where you need to exit is less then a 1/4 mile from the off ramp. So in high volume traffic times its nearly impossible to merge over in time to get off but if you cross the double yellow you can be fined. And if your the sole occupant they don't tell you is you can be fined for entering the carpool lane, staying in the carpool lane and exciting the lane. So if the fine is $500 you could be fined $1500 for single person occupancy.

|

2/21/2019 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 9:25 AM

A run out of San Francisco on I-80 on a Friday evening is like an effing Mad Max movie. One thing I noticed moving from the east coast is there seems to be literally zero speed enforcement. I saw homicidal drivers running off on the shoulder on the right and swerving back in at 90 mph. It's basically no rules- that "California freedom" attitude extends to the drivers- no effs are given. The roads where I live near the Sierras are crazy dangerous.
That said- the most psycho driving I think I have ever seen is the DC Beltway/suburban Maryland. Total psychos- One day trying to get home from work I saw four accidents.

|

2/21/2019 9:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 9:28 AM

mx295 wrote:

Technically there is no "fast lane" They are numbered 1,2,3 etc.. #1 would be the "slow" lane and #3 the "fast". Our carpool lanes are a joke here in northern Los Angeles county. the opening in the lines needed to use to move over to where you need to exit is less then a 1/4 mile from the off ramp. So in high volume traffic times its nearly impossible to merge over in time to get off but if you cross the double yellow you can be fined. And if your the sole occupant they don't tell you is you can be fined for entering the carpool lane, staying in the carpool lane and exciting the lane. So if the fine is $500 you could be fined $1500 for single person occupancy.

Actually #1 is the fast lane, closet to the center divider, then it goes up from there depending on how many lanes there are, could be #2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

|

2/21/2019 10:14 AM

sumdood wrote:

Actually #1 is the fast lane, closet to the center divider, then it goes up from there depending on how many lanes there are, could be #2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

Yep my mistake.

|