California Pot Smokers

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 10/12/2018 3:58am
With pot legalized here has it affected pre-employment drug screens? Does weed now get a pass and only meth/opiates etc. disqualify? Without an established legal limit for weed like alcohol, what happens now? I have heard that employers in Colorado had a hard time finding new hires to piss clean. I know any type of government job will disqualify. Any HR people here?
|
2/11/2018 9:47am
It doesn't get a pass on my experience. It isn't hard to pass those tests though if you aren't a habitual smoker. Quit smoking for a week or two and drink a lot of water.

I had one close call and actually saw that the lines on the marijuana section came up a little faint, but the lady was cool about it.
APLMAN99
2/11/2018 11:03am
Up here, most larger employers are still following federal law when doing preemployment testing. I am pretty sure that DOT medical testing does also.

As to the number of people passing tests, it was an issue long before legalization occurred here. I don't know anyone who didn't smoke pot before who decided to start after legalization, but I've been told that Walmart no longer tests before employment up here. They still consider pot a banned substance for post accident and reasonable suspicion tests, though. And I think that no testing policy only applies to new hourly store hires, not distribution centers, trucking, or salaried management.
gabrielito
2/11/2018 11:33am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2018 11:34am
I don't know anything about drug tests but the last time I flew the TSA screeners said my laptop registered a "suspicious substance". They searched me there and the police pulled me out of the boarding line and searched all of my stuff again. Lame because I was flying home to Seattle. All that because I use cannabis in order to tolerate Vital.

The Shop

Ebs
2/11/2018 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2018 2:16pm
A business owner can set any criteria they see fit as a requirement for employment. Just because pot is legal doesn't mean you are protected, that's not how it works.
Asimo
2/11/2018 3:13pm
The old ladies company has never popped anyone for anything, and being worldwide and South Florida based its amazing no one ever has. . But those are jobs you can't be a loser and fuck up on. They'd let coke fly before weed.
That's for damn sure. Totally different mindset.

The above picture would apply.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/11/2018 4:13pm
I think most small business employers don't care about recreational users, but
the guys that are baked all day might have still have problems. Especially
in an environment where safety is involved.
TM
IWreckALot
2/12/2018 5:25am
Ebs wrote:
A business owner can set any criteria they see fit as a requirement for employment. Just because pot is legal doesn't mean you are protected, that's...
A business owner can set any criteria they see fit as a requirement for employment. Just because pot is legal doesn't mean you are protected, that's not how it works.
I don't think most companies care but usually their insurance requires them test. We used to get randomly selected but when we changed insurance companies they quit testing.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
2/12/2018 9:10am
It hasn't changed anything at my company in SD, we still test.
NorCal 50+
2/12/2018 9:28am
If you have a legal cannabis card for medical use, you might be able to sue and win- but who knows. I worked at a place where they tested and it became legal- it didn't make any difference, they still tested.

Anyhow, if you want to rip bongs up the morning of your test stress-free, go to cleartest.com bro! It works 100% ( a fellow Bro told me). Stop workplace discrimination! It's dope!
Pot testing is nothing but discrimination- smoking weed (when you're not at work) has no impact on your ability or responsibility level.
kkawboy14
2/12/2018 10:41am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2018 10:41am
Seems like they made it legal in California so that some people wouldn’t leave the state and since the ones who stayed are getting taxed to death are suffering from anxiety and depression it is a good way for them to self medicate!

Smart politicians!
NorCal 50+
2/12/2018 11:04am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seems like they made it legal in California so that some people wouldn’t leave the state and since the ones who stayed are getting taxed to...
Seems like they made it legal in California so that some people wouldn’t leave the state and since the ones who stayed are getting taxed to death are suffering from anxiety and depression it is a good way for them to self medicate!

Smart politicians!
Pot is actually a lot more expensive since they legalized it, because of taxes. But if you have a medical card, you don't pay the taxes.
vetmxr
2/12/2018 5:05pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seems like they made it legal in California so that some people wouldn’t leave the state and since the ones who stayed are getting taxed to...

Smart politicians!
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Pot is actually a lot more expensive since they legalized it, because of taxes. But if you have a medical card, you don't pay the taxes.
Or just continue buying it on "the corner" Smile Save a few taxes??
Lucifa.
2/14/2018 5:00pm
Question. If you have an car accident after getting high and have a medical card, can you be charged with DUI?
2/14/2018 5:16pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Question. If you have an car accident after getting high and have a medical card, can you be charged with DUI?
Simple answer, yes. If a cop has reason to suspect you're impaired and its a serious accident you'll likely be required to submit to blood testing. You could very well fight it in court and possibly win, but it is still considered a 'mind altering substance', and if it can be proven as a main factor in the accident you could get popped for it.

A lot of places still follow federal law because of insurance. It really does come down to the owner of the business and what he deems necessary. In my profession, one employer cared before it became legal in Oregon than could give two shits the day it became law, at least for pre-employment. Any accident claims or work accidents and a test would get you fired right away. Another employer didn't care for pre-employment either as long as nothing else popped up, but when he sold the business the new owners flipped that around real quick. None of us got drug tested during the buy/sell, but we've lost a few potential hires due to it.
APLMAN99
2/14/2018 7:50pm
Lucifa. wrote:
Well, since you can be charged for driving under the influence of most prescription drugs, the answer is obviously yes......
2/15/2018 4:37am
Does anyone know how much weed you can smoke and still drive a motor vehicle? Drinking and driving, you can have like one beer an hour. So can you smoke a couple one hits every hour or so and be fine? .08 is too much to have in your system. And what if you’re just under the legal drinking limit and you stay under the legal high limit , if there is one, is there a combined over the limit amount you can use? Like one beer every other hour and three one hits every two hours? Cool
three9zero
2/15/2018 6:12am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2018 6:12am
Can anybody answer this ^^^^^^ ? Asking for a friend ?
Spydee
2/15/2018 6:18am
Does anyone know how much weed you can smoke and still drive a motor vehicle? Drinking and driving, you can have like one beer an hour...
Does anyone know how much weed you can smoke and still drive a motor vehicle? Drinking and driving, you can have like one beer an hour. So can you smoke a couple one hits every hour or so and be fine? .08 is too much to have in your system. And what if you’re just under the legal drinking limit and you stay under the legal high limit , if there is one, is there a combined over the limit amount you can use? Like one beer every other hour and three one hits every two hours? Cool
Please tell me you're being sarcastic...
Uncle Tony
2/15/2018 7:48am
Does anyone know how much weed you can smoke and still drive a motor vehicle? Drinking and driving, you can have like one beer an hour...
Spydee wrote:
Please tell me you're being sarcastic...
I think you're allowed to smoke up to 3 joints an hour before you're considered stoned
Spydee
2/15/2018 7:55am
Uncle Tony wrote:
I think you're allowed to smoke up to 3 joints an hour before you're considered stoned
But Whiskey dilutes the substance enough to level out effects, so they recommend a shot after every joint Grinning
MR. X
2/15/2018 8:50am
Uncle Tony wrote:
3 joints an hour !? I'd be lost in my own house after that !Laughing
gabrielito
2/15/2018 9:04am
The whole driving while high thing is going to be problematic. There is not a field test that can adequately determine intoxication. For the most part, high drivers are not obvious like a swerving drunk driver. Most stoners can drive, pass any stand on one foot type of test. Saying the alphabet backwards and stuff like that is easier if you are high. The problem with driving while high is you are most likely fine unless something out the ordinary happens (like a kid running into the street) etc.
Spydee
2/15/2018 9:11am
Does the law out there not have the drugalyser test to check for to check for cannabis and cocaine? The testing kit uses a mouth swab to check for the presence of drugs and a blue line appears after eight minutes if the person has taken them.
gabrielito
2/15/2018 9:18am
Spydee wrote:
Does the law out there not have the drugalyser test to check for to check for cannabis and cocaine? The testing kit uses a mouth swab...
Does the law out there not have the drugalyser test to check for to check for cannabis and cocaine? The testing kit uses a mouth swab to check for the presence of drugs and a blue line appears after eight minutes if the person has taken them.
They do, but it doesn't discern the amount. Right now in Washington state (which is legal) cannabis users are in jeopardy of testing positive by the testing methods whether they are under it's influence of it or not. It hasn't been a significant problem though because it isn't nearly as dangerous to drive while high as it is driving drunk.
NorCal 50+
2/15/2018 9:49am
I read a couple things where they tried to train cops to catch stoned drivers, but they kept arresting people that weren't stoned. Prescription drugs are probably a bigger hazard- you ever see a hardcore opioid addict?

Today's weed is crazy potent. Pretty much one hit and you can get the 1000-yard stare. If you smoked three joints of today's KB in an hour you would probably pass out. If you are an inexperienced smoker you wouldn't want to go near a car after taking just one hit of good stuff. (But your Led Zeppelin CD will never sound better, especially with headphones).
akillerwombat
2/15/2018 9:52am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I read a couple things where they tried to train cops to catch stoned drivers, but they kept arresting people that weren't stoned. Prescription drugs are...
I read a couple things where they tried to train cops to catch stoned drivers, but they kept arresting people that weren't stoned. Prescription drugs are probably a bigger hazard- you ever see a hardcore opioid addict?

Today's weed is crazy potent. Pretty much one hit and you can get the 1000-yard stare. If you smoked three joints of today's KB in an hour you would probably pass out. If you are an inexperienced smoker you wouldn't want to go near a car after taking just one hit of good stuff. (But your Led Zeppelin CD will never sound better, especially with headphones).
I second that – today's weed is way too strong.

It's rather frustrating because I want to sit around with a joint, chill with my woman, and enjoy it like wine – where as now a days everything is like hard lining a four loko.
Shawn142
2/15/2018 10:01am
I'm currently getting my background and drug screens done for Lockheed Martin in Palmdale. I can tell you a positive drug test of any sort would disqualify me from finalizing the job. Weed or otherwise. So for at least aerospace the law change has not affected their substance policy for hiring.
gabrielito
2/15/2018 10:49am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I read a couple things where they tried to train cops to catch stoned drivers, but they kept arresting people that weren't stoned. Prescription drugs are...

I second that – today's weed is way too strong. It's rather frustrating because I want to sit around with a joint, chill with my woman, and...
I second that – today's weed is way too strong.

It's rather frustrating because I want to sit around with a joint, chill with my woman, and enjoy it like wine – where as now a days everything is like hard lining a four loko.
Honestly, it's not like this. You can buy any potency you want. There is such a diversity now it's ridiculous. A good example is how diverse dogs are. A pug and a German shepherd are both dogs but extremely different from one another. You can buy a high CBD strain and feel no altering affect at all.

this is a good website for investigating strains. https://www.leafly.com/explore

Also, I am very knowledgeable on the topic if you have any questions. I was a hospice chaplain when it became legal in Washington and researched the heck out of it.

Post a reply to: California Pot Smokers

The Latest