Calif. considering ban on sale of internal combustion engine?

oldblood
10/2/2017 5:58pm
TXDirt wrote:
I saw a news article earlier today that GM is moving to all electric in the future. Don't have the link.
GM (government motors)
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/2/2017 6:41pm
tcannon521 wrote:
My 10 year dream: 1. Leave for work in my electric vehicle 2. Solar panels charge my home battery pack and power my house during the...
My 10 year dream:

1. Leave for work in my electric vehicle
2. Solar panels charge my home battery pack and power my house during the day
3. I live off the battery pack and charge my car when I’m home in the evening.

Those concerned with viability of EV’s need to remember this revolution has only gained traction in the last 5 years (forget the late 1800’s) During this short time Tesla has achieved 340 Miles of range, 80% full charge in less than 30 minutes and built all this in a vehicle that is the fastest production vehicle in the world 0-60. It only took 5 years for a startup to dethrone 115 years of ICE evolution. In the next 5 to 10 years everyone will wonder why we didn’t get to this point sooner.

Like Sondra said, once you go electric and see first hand how much more convenient and enjoyable it is you will never want to go back.
early wrote:
What alot of proponents of electric/renewables fail to recognize is that much of the good electric/renewable technology didnt exist 5 or 10 years ago. There is...
What alot of proponents of electric/renewables fail to recognize is that much of the good electric/renewable technology didnt exist 5 or 10 years ago. There is an attitude like "why havent we been doing this forever" but the reality is that it wasnt a good option. More left wing billionaires should have put their money into development a long time ago. When things work well and it makes sense to integrate them into your life laws wont be necessary.
Brad460 wrote:
Billionaires use who's money?! You mean tax payers money?
Gates, Jobs, Soros. It took Musk to really show the way.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
10/2/2017 8:15pm
tcannon521 wrote:
My 10 year dream: 1. Leave for work in my electric vehicle 2. Solar panels charge my home battery pack and power my house during the...
My 10 year dream:

Those concerned with viability of EV’s need to remember this revolution has only gained traction in the last 5 years (forget the late 1800’s) During this short time Tesla has achieved 340 Miles of range, 80% full charge in less than 30 minutes and built all this in a vehicle that is the fastest production vehicle in the world 0-60. It only took 5 years for a startup to dethrone 115 years of ICE evolution. In the next 5 to 10 years everyone will wonder why we didn’t get to this point sooner.

Like Sondra said, once you go electric and see first hand how much more convenient and enjoyable it is you will never want to go back.
early wrote:
What alot of proponents of electric/renewables fail to recognize is that much of the good electric/renewable technology didnt exist 5 or 10 years ago. There is...
What alot of proponents of electric/renewables fail to recognize is that much of the good electric/renewable technology didnt exist 5 or 10 years ago. There is an attitude like "why havent we been doing this forever" but the reality is that it wasnt a good option. More left wing billionaires should have put their money into development a long time ago. When things work well and it makes sense to integrate them into your life laws wont be necessary.
Brad460 wrote:
Billionaires use who's money?! You mean tax payers money?
Are you talking about big oil and traditional energy sources? They have been and are still living off our tax dollars at an enormous level.

The difference is my dream creates a path to self dependency living off renewable resources.

Of course, I’ll take the by product of cleaner air and maybe slow the rapid rate our beautiful earth is warming at.
oldblood
10/2/2017 8:53pm
tcannon521 wrote:
My 10 year dream:

You forgot :
4. Ride my ebike on the local government artificial turf (no dust or mud) coarse with safety jumps and gentlemen rules.

The Shop

oldblood
10/2/2017 9:22pm
Titan1 wrote:
I've got no loyalty to the ICE engine...but I do like the lifestyle and freedoms it affords. If electric (or whatever) vehicles can better the ICE...
I've got no loyalty to the ICE engine...but I do like the lifestyle and freedoms it affords.

If electric (or whatever) vehicles can better the ICE vehicles in performance, reliability, range, price etc etc...I'll start buying them.

All I know is I stopped at the gas station on my way to the grocery store the other night, filled up my car in about 3 minutes and left (knowing I'll get nearly 500 miles out of those 14 gallons of gas...it's a VW TDI), as I'm leaving I notice at electric car with some converter or something plugged into the side of the building (charging his batteries as best I can assume)...I have no idea how long he'd been there, but he was there when I pulled up (the driver was sitting in the drivers seat playing on his phone) and there when I left.

About 45 minutes later, as I drive past that same gas station on my way home, and I glance over and the car is still sitting there plugged into the building.

This is a MAJOR issue electric cars will have...range...and then recharge times. I don't care if I can get 500 miles out of a charge if I have to part for over an hour to charge the batteries. That would make a road trip miserable.
I charge my car every night when I get home, I do the trickle charge, takes all night, it add's about $40 a month to my...
I charge my car every night when I get home, I do the trickle charge, takes all night, it add's about $40 a month to my electric bill. You can do the quick charge, takes 20-30 mins, which is ok for me, but I don't have to do that very often, maybe 5 times a year. I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf, I drive the carpool lane on the 405 Mon-Fri by myself, it's awesome.

Nissan is coming out with a 150 mile range Leaf beginning of 2018 which I signed up for. After driving an electric car I'll never go back to gas/diesel. I love my car.
I miss the golden state nationals
NorCal 50+
10/3/2017 9:49am
A big problem right now is that only relatively wealthy people can afford rooftop solar with an EV. And those people can sometimes sell power back to the grid, which poor people living in an apartment can't do currently. So in effect the low-income people are subsidizing the wealthy people by paying for the electric grid infrastructure through their electric bill- and that declining ratepayer base is saddled with more costs to repair and maintain grid infrastructure.

In California, the investor-owned utilities are left with tens of millions of dollars of old contracts that are now paid for by a dwindling ratebase, often low-income people, while the people that engage in electricity choice flee the old system. And the Community Choice Aggregators (people leaving utilities) are usually targeted in wealthy areas.
SCR
10/3/2017 12:39pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
A big problem right now is that only relatively wealthy people can afford rooftop solar with an EV. And those people can sometimes sell power back...
A big problem right now is that only relatively wealthy people can afford rooftop solar with an EV. And those people can sometimes sell power back to the grid, which poor people living in an apartment can't do currently. So in effect the low-income people are subsidizing the wealthy people by paying for the electric grid infrastructure through their electric bill- and that declining ratepayer base is saddled with more costs to repair and maintain grid infrastructure.

In California, the investor-owned utilities are left with tens of millions of dollars of old contracts that are now paid for by a dwindling ratebase, often low-income people, while the people that engage in electricity choice flee the old system. And the Community Choice Aggregators (people leaving utilities) are usually targeted in wealthy areas.
I mentioned this earlier that lower income folks will be hurt in this process. The why, how, and when is extremely important. There are a lot of moving parts and potential negative consequences if the state is going to set deadlines and mandate, regulate, punish, and fine our way to EVs and solar panels. That's just EVs not the infrastructure and charging stations that will be needed with millions of EVs on the road. Low income, middle class, and business will also pay for increase gasoline costs they will come as they lose revenue from gasoline taxes they will increase gasoline taxes. Im sure that there will be tax or punishment fees for purchasing gasoline cars and large trucks at some point ? When low income people get priced out of driving does driving become a right like healthcare and education and we start further subsidizing purchases of EV vehicles and SNAP cards to use at charging stations.

I heard about a bill that is being pushed to approve $3B in subsidies for EVs in CA. I think over $1B in subsidies in CA has been spent so far to get about 1% of new cars being EVs. Some people posted that we have a model power infrastructure but from what I have read and experienced over the years CA has not had a good track record with our electrical infrastructure and delivering it. We rely on a large part from imported Natural Gas and when that is maxed out we have a bunch of Diesel Generators to tack up the slack. In SoCal we get flex alerts every summer because things get really sketchy on summer days.

No doubt its a complex thing. I worry weather we really have a well thought out plan when I look at the high speed rail debacle that has been going on for years, cost billions so far and its basically stuck in the mud there is no money or plan to pay for this thing. Cap and trade was supposed to pay for it or most of it I think. And now the money for the $3B EV subsidy is supposed to also come from cap and trade ?

Lots of stuff. I hope our lawmakers are thinking this through before we get in another situation like we are with Jerry's Train.

Post a reply to: Calif. considering ban on sale of internal combustion engine?

The Latest