CNC Router and guitar build

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2018 6:10 PM

The router has been done for a while. This video is a body for a Strat type guitar. The final product is somewhat different from a regular Strat because I don't use the plastic pick guard and the body is carved. Of course the important shit like finishing cant be done with automation. At least not by me.

|

12/29/2018 6:23 PM

Holy shit dude! That's friggin' sweet as hell!!!!! Totally blown away by that CNC setup you put together.

|

12/29/2018 7:29 PM

Ivan is a quick study!

|

12/29/2018 7:54 PM

I know less than nothing about woodwork, but that is pretty damn cool.

Where you talked about digging into your work surface just a little, could you put a 1/8” spacer between your guitar blank and the table? Would that allow you to cut the whole blank and give you a buffer to keep your bit away from the surface? Also, when you flip the guitar over does your programming just “mirror” the dimensions and rotate on a centerline, or do you have to make a completely different program?

|

12/29/2018 7:54 PM

Pretty Cool homebuilt router set up and ax body !
I am a CNC programmer / MoldMaker
Starred in 84.
I took a Gibson explorer and machined a pocket / cavity into it to fit a pignose amp speaker set up into it with a Rockman distortion etc.

Well ?
It sounded like Sh!t ( no headroom for the speaker) borderline Kazoo with its nose plugged sound lol

|

Sno Cross Teachers :
" First lets realize your racing something the size and shape and weight of a "Hide a Bed"

12/30/2018 7:59 AM

APLMAN99 wrote:

I know less than nothing about woodwork, but that is pretty damn cool.

Where you talked about digging into your work surface just a little, could you put a 1/8” spacer between your guitar blank and the table? Would that allow you to cut the whole blank and give you a buffer to keep your bit away from the surface? Also, when you flip the guitar over does your programming just “mirror” the dimensions and rotate on a centerline, or do you have to make a completely different program?

What you are talking about is called a spoil board and I may end up using one just for this item. The work surface I use is basically a spoil board in a way.

When I flip the body over the only thing that is dimensionally critical is the outer shape because I do have to cut a radius around the edge. On this guitar body the shape is not symmetrical so I do have to write a new program that follows the outer edge as well as the surface variations left from carving the top. My CAD program makes it fairly easy but it's not a CAD/CAM so I do have to do a lot of direct program editing.

|

12/30/2018 8:04 AM

Oldschool wrote:

Pretty Cool homebuilt router set up and ax body !
I am a CNC programmer / MoldMaker
Starred in 84.
I took a Gibson explorer and machined a pocket / cavity into it to fit a pignose amp speaker set up into it with a Rockman distortion etc.

Well ?
It sounded like Sh!t ( no headroom for the speaker) borderline Kazoo with its nose plugged sound lol

I have to do a lot of manual editing. Do you have a suggestion for a relatively inexpensive CAD/CAM system? Just a simple 3 axis system would be sufficient.

|

12/30/2018 8:58 AM

Pm me an address to mail you Mastercam 2018 & Mastercam Mill training essentials.

Bob cam / Cad is the cheapest I know of.
But everything is a " work around"
And they nickle and dime you to death
On training.

|

Sno Cross Teachers :
" First lets realize your racing something the size and shape and weight of a "Hide a Bed"

12/30/2018 10:13 AM

Great video. Thanks for making it.

|

12/30/2018 3:59 PM

Hey I watched the whole thing! I always enjoy watching these homemade router videos. I would love to build one for myself when I get the room in the shop. Beautiful work!

|

12/30/2018 9:14 PM

That is really cool. I bought some stains and really want to get a quilted maple guitar body to try to stain. You should buy some quilted maple for the next one!

I bought a cheap guitar body off eBay and painted it for my brother to look like James Hetfield's guitar. He's in a Metallica cover band so he had to have a Metallica guitar.
Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

12/31/2018 6:50 AM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

That is really cool. I bought some stains and really want to get a quilted maple guitar body to try to stain. You should buy some quilted maple for the next one!

I bought a cheap guitar body off eBay and painted it for my brother to look like James Hetfield's guitar. He's in a Metallica cover band so he had to have a Metallica guitar.
Photo

Looks great. Can you describe your process?

|

12/31/2018 12:10 PM

I'm not even a CNC guy and watched the whole video.
Nicely done and VERY cool!!!!

|

12/31/2018 1:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2018 1:39 PM

borg wrote:

Looks great. Can you describe your process?

Yea, I have been painting for approximately a year now. This was kind of a rush order because I needed to get it out for Christmas and it took a long time to be shipped to me. I sanded it down with 1000 grit sand paper to make sure it was smooth then it was really simple after that. I taped over the the parts that I didn't want paint getting on and started with black and then added the flames like you can see in the below pictures. I did a layer of white after the black, on top of the flame parts so the fluorescent colors could shine through. In hindsight I wish I would have done a satin black and done it vert lightly to get some wood texture to come through. I think that would have looked cool.

I have watched a lot of videos of people using stain on guitars and I really want to try that. To get the quilted maple effect to really pop they put a layer of stain on and then sand it down just enough to give it some texture and then add stains on top of that. I will probably do it on my brother's bassist's guitar. He has shown some interest in getting a paint job from me.

I'll add the pictures in a reply below. They're on my phone.

|

Amateur helmet painter

12/31/2018 1:41 PM

Photo
Photo
Photo
|

Amateur helmet painter

12/31/2018 3:46 PM

Do you put a clear topcoat over it? It looks really good. I wish I had your artistic ability. I can draw a crooked line with a ruler.

|

12/31/2018 4:47 PM

borg wrote:

Do you put a clear topcoat over it? It looks really good. I wish I had your artistic ability. I can draw a crooked line with a ruler.

Yea I did. I forgot to mention that. It really isn't too hard once you get going. You can stick and remove that tape as much as you want until it's just right. Also YouTube is your friend! If you want to get into guitar staining there is a guy that I can share here. He teaches all about staining guitars and how to get those cool finishes. I just bought a $20 piece of quilted maple to start playing around with.

|

Amateur helmet painter

12/31/2018 4:53 PM

Here is the guy that made me want to try staining. I just need my practice piece to show up. Sorry couldn't embed on my phone

|

Amateur helmet painter

12/31/2018 5:25 PM

Have you seen the hydro dipping process yet?

|

12/31/2018 5:32 PM

Nice work!

|

1/15/2019 6:39 PM

I came across this video and was wondering have you ever thought about building one with uncommon materials like this guy?

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/16/2019 6:39 PM

I have thought about it but I'm just not a creative person. Toss a pile of wood and metal in front of me and tell me what you want and chances are you will get it. But don't ask me to write a song that reveals the true beauty of young love. I don't have the gene. I am so jealous of people with real creativity and originality. I don't have an ounce of it.

|

1/17/2019 1:11 PM

borg wrote:

I have thought about it but I'm just not a creative person. Toss a pile of wood and metal in front of me and tell me what you want and chances are you will get it. But don't ask me to write a song that reveals the true beauty of young love. I don't have the gene. I am so jealous of people with real creativity and originality. I don't have an ounce of it.

I didn't see it mentioned here. What kind of woods are you using in your body? Have you experimented with woods with different hardness ratings?

|

1/17/2019 6:36 PM

borg wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

I didn't see it mentioned here. What kind of woods are you using in your body? Have you experimented with woods with different hardness ratings?

The one in the video is basswood. Soft, light and easy to finish. That will end up being a metal guitar that my son wants. I also use cherry and mahogany for bodies. They are both harder woods with mahogany being the most difficult to finish.

|

1/20/2019 7:27 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I came across this video and was wondering have you ever thought about building one with uncommon materials like this guy?

Cool. That guitar will produce colorful music for sure.

|

4/25/2019 2:57 PM

Dude that made the guitar out of crayons made another unusual build.

?rel=0
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/25/2019 10:39 PM

really cool video with great voice over.

|