CA renter's law and help with in-laws (Update: 9/13/2021)

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
Edited Date/Time 9/17/2021 9:39am
OK guys, does anybody know CA law in and out regarding tenants? I have a nightmare situation that I need to remedy:

My wife's parents moved in with us in June of 2015 to "get on their feet." They have since squatted in the home, using up the electricity and heat/AC and have not yet gotten in gear. Father in-law is on permanent disability and gets sick from time to time, which is a great, convenient excuse for my mother in-law to not get a job. She's a CMA (Certified Medical Assistant,) which means she can find work all over the place, yet she swears up and down that she is looking and hasn't been able to get hired. (As far as I'm concerned, she should go get a job flipping burgers if she cannot find medical office work, but apparently that's none of my business...)

They think they are meeting their expenses by paying us $100 per month (most months, that is.) In reality, that probably doesn't cover the electricicy and water they use, not to mention the paper towels, laundry soap, etc.

My wife has anxiety issues that stem from her upbringing, and now is suffering massive panic attacks and stress thanks to being in the same house with her parents. They were overbearing, verbally abusive when she was a kid and even now they treat her like she is their little girl. They try to run her life and keep looking into our private matters as if it's their business. To make matters even worse, they make baseless accusations against her, my kids and me - things like, "You stole our VCR tapes from the boxes in the garage," or "My internet connection doesn't work. You must have turned it off." (I want their internet to work, so mom can keep looking for jobs!) The father in-law has even accused me of hacking into his computer so the login doesn't work, as if I had those skills or even gave one dead rat's ass about his computer. It's exhausting.

We have told them on several occasions that it's time to get out. We've even given them dates to be gone, which have passed by without any action. My Father in-law and I have even gotten in a few yelling matches wherein he has tried to bait me into fighting him (I am far too intelligent to do that.) It is clear they do not intend to ever take care of themselves, and instead plan to just cruise along in our home until they die (her dad thinks he's dying now, and has felt that way for about 3-4 years, since he lacks the intelligence to understand what his doctors are saying to him. So does her mom, who, like I said is a CMA. Scary, right???)

Anyway, we have told them it is our plan to move when our lease is up in April, and we need them out by March 1st so we can clean the carpets, fix a few things in their room, etc. I fully expect that day will come and go without them so much as trying to find another hapless victim to mooch from, so my question is this: HOW DO I GET THESE FUCKERS OUT OF MY HOUSE????

My understanding of CA law is that since they get their mail at the address and pay "rent," then I am their landlord and they are my subtenant. (They are not on the lease.)

Should I raise their "rent" to $1,000 and then give them a 3-day pay or quit notice when they can't come up with the money?
Should I follow through and just move out? Let the property owner deal with them? (Bullshit, if so.)
Should I call the property manager and ask his advice, knowing that I am breaking the terms of my lease by allowing them to stay?

|
APLMAN99
12/30/2019 12:25pm
A $250 introductory appointment with an attorney would be worth twice the price in this situation......

I can relate to the deadbeat in law thing. Fortunately mine never moved in. My MIL has passed, but not my FIL yet.

I'm a pretty mild-mannered, easy going guy but when my FIL passes I will probably go on a 7 day drinking binge just so I can piss on his grave all day, every day for at least a week straight.

Good luck.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/30/2019 12:53pm
Haha, I won't be pissing on anyone's grave, but I won't be at the funeral, either.
motosmith
12/30/2019 1:33pm
DO NOT call the property manager. That could open a big can of worms.

The Shop

JAFO92
12/30/2019 2:00pm
Sadly you are gonna hafta get an attorney to navigate this one. Gonna be spendy and lengthy so strap in.

Good luck bro.
APLMAN99
12/30/2019 2:34pm
Falcon wrote:
Haha, I won't be pissing on anyone's grave, but I won't be at the funeral, either.
I never thought that I would either, but I definitely will......
SEE ARE125
12/30/2019 2:49pm
Consulting a lawyer is probably best, but in the meantime, stop buying toilet paper. When they come home with some, use it. I mean wrap it around your hand into a hornet’s nest before wiping. Slowly stop buying other necessities, one after another. Use theirs. Eventually they’ll grow tired of YOU mooching off THEM all the time and maybe they’ll move along. You can’t just kick them out if they’re tenants, but you also don’t have to provide daily necessities and household goods either. I wouldn’t make it comfortable or convenient for them to be there.
JAFO92
12/30/2019 4:07pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I never thought that I would either, but I definitely will......
I totally get it.
JWACK
12/30/2019 4:14pm
If you don’t own the property I would seriously consider moving. Just be like sorry guys we are moving. The lease is up and they are not renewing. Gots to go.

Most likely cheaper than lawyers and attorneys and will avoid the battle...
vetmxr
12/30/2019 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2019 4:42pm
If you don't own the home you can just move out after the lease is up and leave them, but this may not be good for your credit and public standing because now you have property abandonment on your record if they don't leave too , and that may affect your future rental options...You are basically making these folks the home owners problem....and he is probably gonna take you to court to recover damages because you are the one making the money and are the one that signed the lease.....

If you are sub leasing this to your parents then you are probably already breaking your lease and may get evicted if you tell your landlord..... bad for you again.......

What I would do If I were you (I am a professional property manager where i live), is either pay them whatever it takes to get them out of your house.....or give them enough money to go and get their own rental.....In California your hands are really tied as long as they reside in the house.

In My experience, a handful of cash in exchange for all keys is the cheapest and best way to do this...... but you gotta be able to swallow your pride and hand a total deadbeat a lot more money than he or she will ever be worth to you Laughing . And they will only talk bad about you behind your back. But at least your immediate problem is solved.

That being said......California is an entirely different animal with property law so you absolutely need to talk to an attorney...( you aint gonna like what he says either)....

Good luck man......I go through this shit every day with my job........
12/30/2019 5:25pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Consulting a lawyer is probably best, but in the meantime, stop buying toilet paper. When they come home with some, use it. I mean wrap it...
Consulting a lawyer is probably best, but in the meantime, stop buying toilet paper. When they come home with some, use it. I mean wrap it around your hand into a hornet’s nest before wiping. Slowly stop buying other necessities, one after another. Use theirs. Eventually they’ll grow tired of YOU mooching off THEM all the time and maybe they’ll move along. You can’t just kick them out if they’re tenants, but you also don’t have to provide daily necessities and household goods either. I wouldn’t make it comfortable or convenient for them to be there.
I’d start it off by walking around in my birthday suit.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/30/2019 6:41pm
vetmxr wrote:
If you don't own the home you can just move out after the lease is up and leave them, but this may not be good for...
If you don't own the home you can just move out after the lease is up and leave them, but this may not be good for your credit and public standing because now you have property abandonment on your record if they don't leave too , and that may affect your future rental options...You are basically making these folks the home owners problem....and he is probably gonna take you to court to recover damages because you are the one making the money and are the one that signed the lease.....

If you are sub leasing this to your parents then you are probably already breaking your lease and may get evicted if you tell your landlord..... bad for you again.......

What I would do If I were you (I am a professional property manager where i live), is either pay them whatever it takes to get them out of your house.....or give them enough money to go and get their own rental.....In California your hands are really tied as long as they reside in the house.

In My experience, a handful of cash in exchange for all keys is the cheapest and best way to do this...... but you gotta be able to swallow your pride and hand a total deadbeat a lot more money than he or she will ever be worth to you Laughing . And they will only talk bad about you behind your back. But at least your immediate problem is solved.

That being said......California is an entirely different animal with property law so you absolutely need to talk to an attorney...( you aint gonna like what he says either)....

Good luck man......I go through this shit every day with my job........
All of this, and whatever you do don't go watch "Pacific Heights".
500guy
12/30/2019 7:10pm
Shut the Water and electric off and go stay somewhere until they leave.

Chance1216
12/30/2019 7:13pm
I found a better job out of state. Moved my wife and kids. Problem solved.
12/30/2019 7:39pm
Holy shit Falcon, you have been dealing with this for 4.5 years???? Jeeeezzzz....amazing what scum some people are huh?

It seems to me they know the game so you might want to pay an attorney a few hundred bucks to review the possible outcome of each chess move. That's some crazy shit right there, I wish you the best. Let us know when you get that scum out of your life.

Watch "Dirty John" on Netflix....sounds like you have a couple "Dirty Johns" living with you.
mikec265
12/30/2019 8:05pm
Chance1216 wrote:
I found a better job out of state. Moved my wife and kids. Problem solved.
I wish I could do that. Congratulations!
mikec265
12/30/2019 8:08pm
I wish you all luck. Deadbeat in-laws almost got me divorced for stating the truth, but I'm not going to hijack the thread.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/31/2019 7:47am
JWACK wrote:
If you don’t own the property I would seriously consider moving. Just be like sorry guys we are moving. The lease is up and they are...
If you don’t own the property I would seriously consider moving. Just be like sorry guys we are moving. The lease is up and they are not renewing. Gots to go.

Most likely cheaper than lawyers and attorneys and will avoid the battle...
This is the scenario we told them. It's why we want them to leave on March 1st. I fully expect they will not comply, even though it means we are screwed.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/31/2019 7:50am
Holy shit Falcon, you have been dealing with this for 4.5 years???? Jeeeezzzz....amazing what scum some people are huh? It seems to me they know the...
Holy shit Falcon, you have been dealing with this for 4.5 years???? Jeeeezzzz....amazing what scum some people are huh?

It seems to me they know the game so you might want to pay an attorney a few hundred bucks to review the possible outcome of each chess move. That's some crazy shit right there, I wish you the best. Let us know when you get that scum out of your life.

Watch "Dirty John" on Netflix....sounds like you have a couple "Dirty Johns" living with you.
Yes, 55 months now. By my estimation, we have saved them over $60 grand in rent that they otherwise would have been paying in AZ. They still can't get it together.
TXDirt
12/31/2019 9:32am
All scenarios will cost a lot of money and an even bigger headache.

I would consider helping them get into a new place. Under their name. And pre-pay 3-6 months of their rent as part of the plan. This is what it might take to get it off your back and make it someone else’s problem.

Need to figure out how to get them into a place that’s not in your name.
SEE ARE125
12/31/2019 9:52am
TXDirt wrote:
All scenarios will cost a lot of money and an even bigger headache. I would consider helping them get into a new place. Under their name...
All scenarios will cost a lot of money and an even bigger headache.

I would consider helping them get into a new place. Under their name. And pre-pay 3-6 months of their rent as part of the plan. This is what it might take to get it off your back and make it someone else’s problem.

Need to figure out how to get them into a place that’s not in your name.
I was thinking along the same lines. Cover the security deposit, first and last months rent, give them a few hundred dollars to cover utilities, and help them move their shit. Don’t sign your name to any paperwork, you don’t want to be liable when they start missing rent and destroy the place. This could end up being the cheapest option, assuming they’d agree to it.
12/31/2019 1:39pm
How will Falcon be able to get them their own place in their own name when they would never qualify for a place of their own? Shitty situation for sure. Curious to see how it all plays out.
vetmxr
12/31/2019 2:50pm
How will Falcon be able to get them their own place in their own name when they would never qualify for a place of their own...
How will Falcon be able to get them their own place in their own name when they would never qualify for a place of their own? Shitty situation for sure. Curious to see how it all plays out.
There are lots and lots of lazy landlords that wont take the time to do background checks.....you just need to find one of them.....they are the ones that never learn and lose their minds when people with no teeth show up with a handful of money and need to move in now......they grab the money..(which is the last money they'll see from these folks).....and after 6 months or a year of destroying thier rental house they return it to the landlord that now has to put tens of thousands of dollars back into the place after only getting first months rent plus deposit up front......I have no idea why people don't check into prospects before letting them in your home....

These landlords supply me with many cheap, don't wanter rentals all the time to buy because they burn out and don't ever want to look at a tenant or a lease agreement again....
plowboy
12/31/2019 4:16pm
First and most importantly, is your wife ready, willing and able to cut bait with her parents? If she can't or won't then you are fucked. Find a way to deal with the situation or shed her and the in-laws. Ugly and painful but truthful.

If she wants a life with you away from them...there are ways to make it happen without lawyers and such. You said your lease was almost up. Rent/buy your new place. Pony up the money for her to to take her parents to Vegas for the weekend. Hire movers to box their stuff and put it in a storage unit. Have them move your stuff to your new place. Pay for a week at a hotel and have the wife drop them off there and hand them the key to the storage unit. Don't look back.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/31/2019 5:37pm
plowboy wrote:
First and most importantly, is your wife ready, willing and able to cut bait with her parents? If she can't or won't then you are fucked...
First and most importantly, is your wife ready, willing and able to cut bait with her parents? If she can't or won't then you are fucked. Find a way to deal with the situation or shed her and the in-laws. Ugly and painful but truthful.

If she wants a life with you away from them...there are ways to make it happen without lawyers and such. You said your lease was almost up. Rent/buy your new place. Pony up the money for her to to take her parents to Vegas for the weekend. Hire movers to box their stuff and put it in a storage unit. Have them move your stuff to your new place. Pay for a week at a hotel and have the wife drop them off there and hand them the key to the storage unit. Don't look back.
My wife is on board with cutting the parents out. In fact, she is ok with it if they never want to see her again. Sadly, it is illegal to just move their shit and change the locks. I'm not sure about the wrinkle with providing them a new place.
I'm probably getting a lawyer. And probably moving.
rongi#401
12/31/2019 6:19pm
Why a nightmare, I once faked moving out of my house so my friend and his girlfriend would follow suit, when they drove away with all their things I unloaded all my things and moved back in. A u-haul rental and a bit of acting could do some good
motogrady
12/31/2019 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2019 6:42pm
plowboy wrote:
First and most importantly, is your wife ready, willing and able to cut bait with her parents? If she can't or won't then you are fucked...

Falcon wrote:
My wife is on board with cutting the parents out. In fact, she is ok with it if they never want to see her again. Sadly...
My wife is on board with cutting the parents out. In fact, she is ok with it if they never want to see her again. Sadly, it is illegal to just move their shit and change the locks. I'm not sure about the wrinkle with providing them a new place.
I'm probably getting a lawyer. And probably moving.
If you're thinking about moving why not mention to the property owner you have extra people living there. Let him force the move, break the lease, let him be the bad guy. You'd probably lose the security deposit.
But hey, small price to pay to pay to get your life back.
Then again, if the owner likes you and your wife, good rent, property kept in good shape, maybe he would force them out legally.

And don't cow tail to the in laws. They start throwing blame, be honest. If it wasn't for them and their grifter ways, there would be no problem.
They don't give a crap about u guys, they get nasty,
get nasty right back.

Good luck guy.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/31/2019 6:51pm
You guys really need to watch "Pacific Heights".

Post a reply to: CA renter's law and help with in-laws (Update: 9/13/2021)

The Latest