CA [almost] Passes 100% renewable energy bill

Related:
Create New Tag

8/28/2018 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2018 9:55 PM

[Edit- still needs a concur vote in Senate- passed Assembly today] Just squeaked through the Legislature. 100% renewables by 2045. It just needs a sig from Moonbeam, and he's gonna do it. Sponsored by De Leon, the guy who is running against Dianne Feinstein and wants to abolish ICE.
It's SB100. (fun fact: if CA eliminated its GHG emissions entirely, it would reduce global emission by 1%. And most emissions come from transportation, not power plants, which this bill regulates.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/28/2018 6:16 PM

I'll have to do some reading and figure out what's in it for them .

|

8/28/2018 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2018 8:35 PM

Gotta make sure the energy is renewable before you ban the sale of ICE transpotation in the state. Wonder if they factored in 4x the night time production for vehicle charging?

|

8/28/2018 9:08 PM

I heard the other day that CA now has so many people with solar, we pay other states to take our excess energy as to not over feed the grid? Anybody else hear anything like this?

|

www.alljackedupinc.com home of the Switch Hauler®

8/28/2018 9:16 PM

It's those 2 stroke dirt bikes that are the problem.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

8/28/2018 9:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2018 10:04 PM

ToolMaker wrote:

I heard the other day that CA now has so many people with solar, we pay other states to take our excess energy as to not over ...more

Yeah, in mid-day there is so much rooftop solar pumping that the wholesale prices go negative, so we pay other states to take it (you can't have too much juice on the grid either) or they curtail solar. They have semi-regional energy trading going on right now but they are trying to regionalize the whole CA wholesale energy market. That bill is also up for a vote this week.

The glut of rooftop solar dies off in late afternoon when the sun goes down, so the big natural gas plants have to start ramping up to keep the grid balanced.. It's also the time of day that electricity demand spikes because everybody goes home and turns up AC and turns on appliances. Until there is large-scale storage (which is happening), the solar remains very time-sensitive. And of course with every new house having solar now, it will get worse.

SB100 is an aspirational bill but it will drive ton of investment and research into meeting the goal. It's not easy but the investment and research going into storage right now is insane. It's a healthy industry to invest in, especially with this new law.

|

8/28/2018 10:16 PM

BTW the CA electricity industry is really complicated. You had the energy crisis which led to a re-regulation of the three big utilities (PG&E, SCE and San Diego Gas & Electric). But you have a competitive wholesale electricity trading market run by the ISO, which also controls the actual physical flow of electrons from a big facility in Folsom.

The PUC sets retail rates and regulates the utilities and does a lot of resource adequacy evaluation. The Governor and Legislature set policy (like SB100) and the California Energy Commission allocates hundreds of millions into research and grants. Then there is the expansion of the CA market into other western states that is happening. But the more CA expands into the West, the more it loses its current unilateral control. The Gov appoints all the people that run the above agencies (the ISO is actually a non-profit corp.)
But the state has really high energy costs, especially for industry, which is way way above the national average. (and my bill sucks too). This summer stuff got crazy with some natural gas shortages down in SoCal too.

|

8/29/2018 6:41 AM

The Carolinas are growing with solar farms.

|

8/29/2018 8:34 AM

But yet it's illegal to buy your own rv style panels and batteries and go off the grid. Or so I'm told anyway. Meanwhile people here freaking out over the fact that the electric companies seem to have free reign to charge as much as they want. All this power supposedly going back to the grid but yet our electric rates are doubling and tripling even if you are using less energy than ever before.

|

8/29/2018 8:48 AM

Sumdood....maybe If you would properly inflate your tires, gas prices will come down.

|

GP740
Since 1987

8/29/2018 9:08 AM

GeorgiePorgie wrote:

Sumdood....maybe If you would properly inflate your tires, gas prices will come down.

laughing Maybe. I waxed my truck to help it slide through the air better, plus raised the back so it's always going downhill but yet my electric bill keeps going up.
|

8/31/2018 3:57 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

[Edit- still needs a concur vote in Senate- passed Assembly today] Just squeaked through the Legislature. 100% renewables by ...more

Most of the emissions come from the fires we have been having every year. 1 fire basically smashes any gains they get from unicorn farts and rainbows legislation about the environment.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.