C8

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2019 8:43pm
I’m sure that the new Vette will get nitpicked like crazy, but I’m on the thumbs up side. The base model starts under $60K, and does 0-60 under 3 seconds. Still retains some styling cues from the C7, but the mid-engine definitely adds to the exotica factor.

|
TXDirt
7/19/2019 6:11am
Major thumbs up here. I’ve always wanted one. I love the current style and the photos above look great as well!!
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/19/2019 6:33am
That thing looks awesome but I am disappointed that it went to mid-engine, just not the same. I passed about a '58 convertible on my way to work this morning, beautiful car. The front engine car did peak in coolness in the current gen imo so maybe this is a natural step. I would have preferred this be badged as a Camaro, but that's just me.
mxdude105
7/19/2019 7:06am
Out of my price range anyways but the lack of a manual option in cars like this and the new Supra is really disappointing. You could have the best dual clutch hydromatic ZF whatever...still not a replacement for a manual gearbox in a driver's car.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/19/2019 7:26am
What a beautiful car, about as close to a Ferrari as you can get! For the price Corvettes are a steal. To think it is no more than a nice truck is unbelievable.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
7/19/2019 7:41am
I see a little Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren wrapped in a package named Chevrolet. Fairly derivative but at least it doesn't look like a Transformer like the Camaro. As usual Corvette will have plenty of Value for the dollar.
APLMAN99
7/19/2019 8:15am
early wrote:
That thing looks awesome but I am disappointed that it went to mid-engine, just not the same. I passed about a '58 convertible on my way...
That thing looks awesome but I am disappointed that it went to mid-engine, just not the same. I passed about a '58 convertible on my way to work this morning, beautiful car. The front engine car did peak in coolness in the current gen imo so maybe this is a natural step. I would have preferred this be badged as a Camaro, but that's just me.
I know that the rumor is that the Camaro is going to be killed again, but hopefully the decide to keep it and make it the premium front engine car and the Corvette more of the mid engine exotic type. The new Camaro platform is supposed to be fantastic when compared to the M4, etc, but because the are so ubiquitous they just don't have the same zing factor.

I think that they should stop building the smaller engined Camaros and focus them on the higher performance V8 side of things (maybe even 10 or 12 cylinders!), then do something like a variation of the old CTS-V coupe for the next rung.

Camaro should be a poor man's 812, the Corvette a poor man's 488. Or something like that.....
Ebs
7/19/2019 8:51am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 10:18am
The Corvette always had a pretty distinct shape, if anything I'm not crazy about them trading that for something that looks like every other mid-engine sports car. But if you can get in that for $60k, it's going to be hard to beat.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/19/2019 8:55am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 9:00am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I know that the rumor is that the Camaro is going to be killed again, but hopefully the decide to keep it and make it the...
I know that the rumor is that the Camaro is going to be killed again, but hopefully the decide to keep it and make it the premium front engine car and the Corvette more of the mid engine exotic type. The new Camaro platform is supposed to be fantastic when compared to the M4, etc, but because the are so ubiquitous they just don't have the same zing factor.

I think that they should stop building the smaller engined Camaros and focus them on the higher performance V8 side of things (maybe even 10 or 12 cylinders!), then do something like a variation of the old CTS-V coupe for the next rung.

Camaro should be a poor man's 812, the Corvette a poor man's 488. Or something like that.....
I hear ya. I also heard a rumour that the Camaro may comeback as a sports car of a different type with significantly more torque Wink

My thinking is that the Camaro has been a little more experimental of a platform and this design (esp 3rd pic down) has cues of a 90s Camaro/firebird. The Corvette has held it's iconic swooping front fenders and long nose for over 60 years with the most iconic the 70s stingray. This puts a nail in the coffin of that aesthetic imo as much as they tried to recreate it. At least it pays much better homage than the new Blazer Sick
7/19/2019 9:11am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 9:11am
Wow. That thing is very super carish looking. That’s a steal at 60. Beats paying 160+ for Audi or other compareables.

My wife has a 2012 camaro. I hope they don’t kill that car again. They’re sharp. Love them.
level
7/19/2019 9:33am
It’s very sexy. The convertible looks amazing. It doesn’t look like a vet though. Looks like a Ferrari which I guess is what happens when you move mid engine.
Very nice though. I like it. It looks expensive but it’s not. Looks like a true super car instead of a red neck car.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/19/2019 11:15am
early wrote:
That thing looks awesome but I am disappointed that it went to mid-engine, just not the same. I passed about a '58 convertible on my way...
im with you on this, i think the car looks awesome, and is a heap of performance for the money, its just not a corvette imo,

they have always been front engined RWD, and should be, Chevy should have called it something else,
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 11:23am
I think that looks like hell! It’s an American car not an exotic
What happened to American muscle, big motor, a trans you have to shift by yourself and rear wheel drive.
The only cars that are really keeping this is the mustang with the 5.0 and the challenger!
Really the only sports cars I like is the challenger the mustang and the Ferrari 419
dmm698
7/19/2019 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 12:08pm
mxdude105 wrote:
Out of my price range anyways but the lack of a manual option in cars like this and the new Supra is really disappointing. You could...
Out of my price range anyways but the lack of a manual option in cars like this and the new Supra is really disappointing. You could have the best dual clutch hydromatic ZF whatever...still not a replacement for a manual gearbox in a driver's car.
I think you have it all wrong - there is no replacement for a DCT trans IN A DRIVERS car. Having had seat time in the new ford GT, and another car that will soon be public with a DCT, the cars are much more driveable. You want to smoke the tires off? Go buy a 550hp 2011 shelby. You want to put the power to the ground and be quick around the track, you'll find yourself with a DCT. Theres a reason all the performance vehicles have them and its not because its cheaper.

I'm no pro driver, but theres no way I could get off the line as well with a stick and 600+ horse as I can with DCT and launch control. Turn it on, Lay on the brake, WOT, listen to it rev clip , and dump the break it and it just hooks and GOES.
APLMAN99
7/19/2019 12:33pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
I think that looks like hell! It’s an American car not an exotic What happened to American muscle, big motor, a trans you have to shift...
What happened to American muscle, big motor, a trans you have to shift by yourself and rear wheel drive.
The only cars that are really keeping this is the mustang with the 5.0 and the challenger!
Really the only sports cars I like is the challenger the mustang and the Ferrari 419
I don't know what the Ferrari 419 is, but the Camaro has a pretty decent option for the "big motor and a slapstick" crowd.

Rooster
7/19/2019 12:39pm

Call me old, but I can't shake the image of Tom Selleck sitting in this thing cruising down some Hawaiian highway
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 12:50pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
I think that looks like hell! It’s an American car not an exotic What happened to American muscle, big motor, a trans you have to shift...
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don't know what the Ferrari 419 is, but the Camaro has a pretty decent option for the "big motor and a slapstick" crowd. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/19/361150/s1200_ZL1.jpg[/img]
I don't know what the Ferrari 419 is, but the Camaro has a pretty decent option for the "big motor and a slapstick" crowd.

But their v8 manual is expensive af
Everyone else is reasonable
APLMAN99
7/19/2019 1:01pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don't know what the Ferrari 419 is, but the Camaro has a pretty decent option for the "big motor and a slapstick" crowd. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/19/361150/s1200_ZL1.jpg[/img]

RONJ OSE wrote:
The Camaro entry V8/Manual is just over $2K more than the Mustang, and about the same as the Challenger. If that's the difference between expensive and reasonable, you may want to steer towards a 4 cylinder anyway......
RONJ OSE
7/19/2019 1:21pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

RONJ OSE wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
The Camaro entry V8/Manual is just over $2K more than the Mustang, and about the same as the Challenger. If that's the difference between expensive and...
The Camaro entry V8/Manual is just over $2K more than the Mustang, and about the same as the Challenger. If that's the difference between expensive and reasonable, you may want to steer towards a 4 cylinder anyway......
Why steer towards a 4 cyl
It like a 2-4 k in Chevy and dodge
APLMAN99
7/19/2019 2:02pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
The Camaro entry V8/Manual is just over $2K more than the Mustang, and about the same as the Challenger. If that's the difference between expensive and...
RONJ OSE wrote:
I can't decipher what you are saying very well.

The "cheapest" Dodge Challenger with a V8 and manual transmission is about $2K less than the "cheapest" Camaro with a V8 and manual. It's basically $36K vs $38K. It isn't much of a difference, and certainly not enough to suggest that one is just too expensive and the other is reasonable......
G-man
7/19/2019 2:07pm
That C8 is really cool looking. Well Done!
APLMAN99
7/19/2019 2:44pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
RONJ OSE wrote:
Forgot to mention, you also get about 80 extra horsepower in the Camaro than the Challenger for that $2K, which is pretty "reasonable" on a HP/$ basis...….
nytsmaC
7/19/2019 2:45pm
Rooster wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/19/361070/s780_C77D563E_D906_40C4_B5D0_71F38851D6C4.jpg[/img] Call me old, but I can't shake the image of Tom Selleck sitting in this thing cruising down some Hawaiian highway

Call me old, but I can't shake the image of Tom Selleck sitting in this thing cruising down some Hawaiian highway
Not that there’s anything wrong with that
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/19/2019 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 9:31pm
I do love that we have bitchen Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs to feed our muscle car craze. And $60K Corvettes that look as nice as any Supercar on the road. I love that it rivals Ferrari/Lambos in the looks department
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
7/20/2019 12:28am
This is where sales volume meets performance/looks.

Still not a Corvette.
mxdude105
7/20/2019 8:51am
mxdude105 wrote:
Out of my price range anyways but the lack of a manual option in cars like this and the new Supra is really disappointing. You could...
dmm698 wrote:
I think you have it all wrong - there is no replacement for a DCT trans IN A DRIVERS car. Having had seat time in the...
I think you have it all wrong - there is no replacement for a DCT trans IN A DRIVERS car. Having had seat time in the new ford GT, and another car that will soon be public with a DCT, the cars are much more driveable. You want to smoke the tires off? Go buy a 550hp 2011 shelby. You want to put the power to the ground and be quick around the track, you'll find yourself with a DCT. Theres a reason all the performance vehicles have them and its not because its cheaper.

I'm no pro driver, but theres no way I could get off the line as well with a stick and 600+ horse as I can with DCT and launch control. Turn it on, Lay on the brake, WOT, listen to it rev clip , and dump the break it and it just hooks and GOES.
Oh I agree the modern autos/dct's are far superior from a pure performance standpoint. There is no way a manual can put the power down as consistently or shift as fast. I'm talking about user engagement and the joy of driving; the sensation of heel-toe shifting and nailing your rev-matches.

Give me a manual Miata over an automatic Corvette any day.
dmm698
7/20/2019 11:07am
mxdude105 wrote:
dmm698 wrote:
I think you have it all wrong - there is no replacement for a DCT trans IN A DRIVERS car. Having had seat time in the...

mxdude105 wrote:
Oh I agree the modern autos/dct's are far superior from a pure performance standpoint. There is no way a manual can put the power down as...
Oh I agree the modern autos/dct's are far superior from a pure performance standpoint. There is no way a manual can put the power down as consistently or shift as fast. I'm talking about user engagement and the joy of driving; the sensation of heel-toe shifting and nailing your rev-matches.

Give me a manual Miata over an automatic Corvette any day.
Friends got just that running on a mega squirt with boost waiting for you to take home haha.
mxdude105
7/20/2019 1:25pm
Haha I've got my eye on an NB or NC within the next couple of years. C5/C6 Vettes are starting to get pretty cheap though. Pretty solid value for one of those.
APLMAN99
7/20/2019 2:43pm
https://jalopnik.com/why-the-2020-corvette-c8-really-is-a-bigger-deal-t…

Why The 2020 Corvette C8 Really Is a Bigger Deal Than Every Other Car Right Now

Andrew P. Collins

Impressive engineering, relatively low list price and striking looks aside the 2020 Corvette C8 really is one of the most significant things to happen in cars in a long time. If you disagree, I’m going to change your mind.

I know, I can’t believe we’re not done thinking about the new Vette either, but frankly that’s part of the reason this thesis is worth discussing before we return to our regularly scheduled programming and talking about literally anything else going on in the automotive industry.

The greatest triumph of the C8 is that it represents a major departure from tradition for a mainstream automaker, while simultaneously staying true to the longstanding Corvette ethos of democratizing elite-level speed and handling and distributing it to the masses.

For clarity–Corvettes have never been “cheap” off a dealer lot. But they have historically offered up huge doses of performance for your dollars. And taking the platform mid-engine, while keeping that engine enormous and the whole package somewhat affordable, elevates the concept to a new level.

Until this week, a big-displacement mid-mounted engine was pretty much exclusively Lamborghini territory. Soon, you’re going to be able to get that at a dang Chevy dealership.

As far as historical gravity and just general gobsmacking, the C8 launch pretty much kicked everything else we’ve been excited about over the last few years into the trash. OK, that’s a little hyperbolic, but think about it:

The 2019 Ford Ranger is a mild revision on a 2012 design.

The EcoBoost Ford GT is cool, but it’s unobtanium. You’ll be lucky to see one, let alone drive one in your lifetime. The new NSX isn’t quite as exclusive but it still starts at almost double the C8’s implied MSRP of $59,999.

The Toyota Supra seems fun but it’s not built on a unique platform which, sorry, does diminish its epicness a little.

Everybody loves the JL Wrangler, but let’s be real, it’s a cautious evolution of its predecessor.

The Honda Civic Type R, Dodge Challenger Demon, Ford Focus RS, Ford F-150 Raptor... all fun and good and impressive in their own ways, but those cars simply don’t stand out with the C8 in terms of pure uniqueness and monumentality.

The only recent car that comes close to being as much of a mic drop as the new Corvette is the Tesla Model 3. I’m taking points off for execution there, though. Remember when the $35,000 variant that disappeared due to “lack of demand?” Lame. (Don’t worry, we’re all ready to bitch and moan if Chevy pulls that crap and quietly disappears the “under $60,000” C8 too.)

Point is: you don’t have to like the new Corvette, or be into sports cars at all, but recognize that GM has executed something truly legendary here. At least, in concept–I have to hedge just enough so I don’t look like a dingus if we go drive it and it feels like junk. But with almost 500 horsepower mounted behind the driver, I don’t think there’s much danger of that happening.

Post a reply to: C8

The Latest