C6 corvette

5.9_bro
1/30/2021 3:35pm
OG725 wrote:
I ran in the 11s with a stock engine. The pass you said was unimpressive, was considerably quicker than that. I’m a Ford guy, wouldn’t get...
I ran in the 11s with a stock engine. The pass you said was unimpressive, was considerably quicker than that.

I’m a Ford guy, wouldn’t get caught dead with an LS. Could never own a Vette as I don’t wear pink polos or pop my collar. 🤣🤣🤣
5.9_bro wrote:
I’m not the “polo” guy either lol 😂 I’ve taken multiple 5.0s in my truck by a bus. I will say as soon as that spray...
I’m not the “polo” guy either lol 😂
I’ve taken multiple 5.0s in my truck by a bus. I will say as soon as that spray hit it took.

Any advantages of a 5.0 Over an ls?
OG725 wrote:
The problem was I couldn’t leave on all the spray, or it just blew the tires off. Was only leaving on about 500 whp, then bringing...
The problem was I couldn’t leave on all the spray, or it just blew the tires off. Was only leaving on about 500 whp, then bringing the rest in. Let’s just say the big number starts with 9XX.

LS or Coyote, both great platforms that respond to mods readily.

Don’t buy a “can” tune. Find a reputable shop there with a dyno, that knows what they’re doing. I’m lucky enough to have Chris Groves and others locally.
What platform is used to tune these cars? HP?

Where are you located? I’ve got a good shop that can build my motor etc but I don’t know if a good shop to tune?
OG725
1/30/2021 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2021 4:23pm
I’m in Albuquerque. Great Chevy/LS tuner here is SolidTech. Problem is we’re at a 1.22 correction factor, because of our altitude and more importantly density altitude. We normally read at 9000’ above sea level. NHRA handicaps us 9/10 of a second. A Naturally Aspirated car will pick up almost a second by going to your location. Forced Induction will still go .3-.4 tenths faster at sea level.
OG725
1/30/2021 4:24pm
5.9_bro wrote:
I’m not the “polo” guy either lol 😂 I’ve taken multiple 5.0s in my truck by a bus. I will say as soon as that spray...
I’m not the “polo” guy either lol 😂
I’ve taken multiple 5.0s in my truck by a bus. I will say as soon as that spray hit it took.

Any advantages of a 5.0 Over an ls?
OG725 wrote:
The problem was I couldn’t leave on all the spray, or it just blew the tires off. Was only leaving on about 500 whp, then bringing...
The problem was I couldn’t leave on all the spray, or it just blew the tires off. Was only leaving on about 500 whp, then bringing the rest in. Let’s just say the big number starts with 9XX.

LS or Coyote, both great platforms that respond to mods readily.

Don’t buy a “can” tune. Find a reputable shop there with a dyno, that knows what they’re doing. I’m lucky enough to have Chris Groves and others locally.
5.9_bro wrote:
What platform is used to tune these cars? HP? Where are you located? I’ve got a good shop that can build my motor etc but I...
What platform is used to tune these cars? HP?

Where are you located? I’ve got a good shop that can build my motor etc but I don’t know if a good shop to tune?
HP for lower level stuff, FAST, BigStuff etc when you start really making power.
5.9_bro
1/31/2021 10:12am
crowe660 wrote:
My buddy has a C6 Grand Sport. Pretty sure all he did were headS and cam and made loads of power.
5.9_bro wrote:
Do you know if he’s got an LS3 or LS2? I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune...
Do you know if he’s got an LS3 or LS2?
I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune and maybe some spray
LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers...
LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers without any port work needed. Add a healthy cam, valve springs, a good dyno tune and possibly exhaust and you will be putting out some very impressive numbers with a LS3. There are other advantages like the 6.2 vs 6.0 displacement, the better intake manifold and others.

The Z06 is a whole different animal. 7.0 dry sump engine with titanium rods, bigger brakes, wheels, wider body to cover those wheels, special balsa wood/carbon fiber floor pan, carbon fiber front fenders, etc, etc.

ZR1 makes the claim of alpha male in a jungle of performance cars in any given year. If you have to ask, it's probably not what you're looking for.

Use caution with nitrous, blower, turbo, etc. The ring gap is set tight on today's engines for better emissions and less oil burning. However, when using unnatural aspiration, it's not that difficult to get enough heat where the rings expand, the ends come together, and the top of the piston peels off. End of engine, and someone will invariably tell you it's because you needed (insert aftermarket short block components here).
So I’ve gotta question for ya here,
It seems what’s going to be in my price range is a base C6 that I’ll do the ACI wide body on
Or
A grand sport, what’s the difference between a base and a grand sport? Is there any advantage?

The Shop

1/31/2021 10:33am
5.9_bro wrote:
Do you know if he’s got an LS3 or LS2? I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune...
Do you know if he’s got an LS3 or LS2?
I read the LS3 has a little more power... I’ll do heads a cam, good tune and maybe some spray
LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers...
LS2 are cathedral port, LS3 is rectangular port. While you can make big power with the former, the rec port heads will flow really big numbers without any port work needed. Add a healthy cam, valve springs, a good dyno tune and possibly exhaust and you will be putting out some very impressive numbers with a LS3. There are other advantages like the 6.2 vs 6.0 displacement, the better intake manifold and others.

The Z06 is a whole different animal. 7.0 dry sump engine with titanium rods, bigger brakes, wheels, wider body to cover those wheels, special balsa wood/carbon fiber floor pan, carbon fiber front fenders, etc, etc.

ZR1 makes the claim of alpha male in a jungle of performance cars in any given year. If you have to ask, it's probably not what you're looking for.

Use caution with nitrous, blower, turbo, etc. The ring gap is set tight on today's engines for better emissions and less oil burning. However, when using unnatural aspiration, it's not that difficult to get enough heat where the rings expand, the ends come together, and the top of the piston peels off. End of engine, and someone will invariably tell you it's because you needed (insert aftermarket short block components here).
5.9_bro wrote:
So I’ve gotta question for ya here, It seems what’s going to be in my price range is a base C6 that I’ll do the ACI...
It seems what’s going to be in my price range is a base C6 that I’ll do the ACI wide body on
Or
A grand sport, what’s the difference between a base and a grand sport? Is there any advantage?
I believe the grand sport has the brakes and bodywork of the zo6 without the ls7 engine.
5.9_bro
1/31/2021 10:37am

5.9_bro wrote:
So I’ve gotta question for ya here, It seems what’s going to be in my price range is a base C6 that I’ll do the ACI...
Or
I believe the grand sport has the brakes and bodywork of the zo6 without the ls7 engine.
I’m kinda stuck on what I want to do here,

A base car is about 5-6k cheeper but I’d have to do coil overs, the wide body kit, then motor work.
The ZO6 and grand sport seem to be around the same prices I’d just have to travel to get one....
it might be better for me to save a little more and just buy a Zo6 or grand sport.... the Z06 wouldn’t need much work. Maybe a tune and It would be where I want it.
I guess I’ve got a decision to make
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/31/2021 1:12pm
If you can swing the Z06 then it's a no-brainer. Drop a healthy cam in there, get it tuned and it'll make gobs of power.
7.0 with a dry sump, ti rods, etc. Can't discount the lower weight either!

GM spent millions making these cars amazing, only the emissions compliant cam and tuning are holding it back any- and even then it's a very long way from being really "compromised".
5.9_bro
1/31/2021 1:59pm
If you can swing the Z06 then it's a no-brainer. Drop a healthy cam in there, get it tuned and it'll make gobs of power. 7.0...
If you can swing the Z06 then it's a no-brainer. Drop a healthy cam in there, get it tuned and it'll make gobs of power.

GM spent millions making these cars amazing, only the emissions compliant cam and tuning are holding it back any- and even then it's a very long way from being really "compromised".
I’ve seen a few high 20s, there’s a couple grand sports around 22-23 with 60-80k, and a few base 2lts with the ls3 around 14-16, an ZO6 would be nice but I’d have to find the right deal. A grand sport would also be cool, but it would have a to be a manual (seems rare to find)
If I got a base it would be a project that could keep me busy for a while, wide body kit, then pull the motor and build it etc etc.
I know the grand sport has a dry sump and the ZO7 breaks, what’s the advantage with a dry sump
1/31/2021 5:01pm
If you can swing the Z06 then it's a no-brainer. Drop a healthy cam in there, get it tuned and it'll make gobs of power. 7.0...

5.9_bro wrote:
I’ve seen a few high 20s, there’s a couple grand sports around 22-23 with 60-80k, and a few base 2lts with the ls3 around 14-16, an...
I’ve seen a few high 20s, there’s a couple grand sports around 22-23 with 60-80k, and a few base 2lts with the ls3 around 14-16, an ZO6 would be nice but I’d have to find the right deal. A grand sport would also be cool, but it would have a to be a manual (seems rare to find)
If I got a base it would be a project that could keep me busy for a while, wide body kit, then pull the motor and build it etc etc.
I know the grand sport has a dry sump and the ZO7 breaks, what’s the advantage with a dry sump
Dry sumps pull from a separate oil tank that will prevent cavitation in high lateral g forces. I want to say those systems are 12 qts ( not sure though) which is about double the ls3 oil pan capacity. High volume and capacity with good oil cooler, just good efficiency/ protection insurance for engine durability.
5.9_bro
1/31/2021 5:13pm

5.9_bro wrote:
I’ve seen a few high 20s, there’s a couple grand sports around 22-23 with 60-80k, and a few base 2lts with the ls3 around 14-16, an...
Dry sumps pull from a separate oil tank that will prevent cavitation in high lateral g forces. I want to say those systems are 12 qts...
Dry sumps pull from a separate oil tank that will prevent cavitation in high lateral g forces. I want to say those systems are 12 qts ( not sure though) which is about double the ls3 oil pan capacity. High volume and capacity with good oil cooler, just good efficiency/ protection insurance for engine durability.
Gotca, I know the grand sport also has a dry sump, manual grand sport and Zo6s are around 1,500 dollars of each other. I’ll either go with the base and wide body it or the Zo6, just got to find the right one
yz133rider
2/1/2021 5:44am
Get the z06 without a doubt. 7 liter monster. 6 speed, wide body, wider wheels, bigger brakes, stupid amounts of engineering and performance for the dollar.

If not a z06, get a viper.
5.9_bro
2/1/2021 6:16am
I’ll have to do the heads on the Zo6,I’ve also been told the ls3 is a much better motor to make boost on
woodsrider427
2/1/2021 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2021 5:07pm
I would go for the Grand Sport or ZO6 to start with if you want the wide body. I've read converting a base to wide body costs a lot more than the difference in buying, unless you are capable of doing it all yourself. Grand Sports didn't start until 2010, so you can pick up an earlier model base for quite a bit less I guess. I have read some on the ZO6 head issues, but some say it's overblown. I love my Grand Sport (and I don’t wear pink polos or pop my collar and I've never seen a vette owner that does) and I can't imagine needing any more power.

Here is a link to a great forum, anything you need to know can be found here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/

5.9_bro
2/1/2021 6:00pm
I would go for the Grand Sport or ZO6 to start with if you want the wide body. I've read converting a base to wide body...
I would go for the Grand Sport or ZO6 to start with if you want the wide body. I've read converting a base to wide body costs a lot more than the difference in buying, unless you are capable of doing it all yourself. Grand Sports didn't start until 2010, so you can pick up an earlier model base for quite a bit less I guess. I have read some on the ZO6 head issues, but some say it's overblown. I love my Grand Sport (and I don’t wear pink polos or pop my collar and I've never seen a vette owner that does) and I can't imagine needing any more power.

Clean car!

I’ve narrowed my decision down to a grandsport (if I can get a deal) or a base with an LS3

The “expensive” part to convert to a wide body is a front clip, I’ll just do the rear end or a “widebooty” coverson for about 2k plus wheels and tires,

Motor wise I’m going to do dual springs, a really agressive cam, pushrods, and rockers with Texas racing long tube headers and a borla exhaust. Then coil overs. And eventually a supercharger down the line.

I’ve decided to steer clear of the Zo6 due to the head problems, it seems it’s really easy to drop a valve and is expensive to fix. My shop As well recommend steering clear and that a ls3 is a lot better to make boost on!
woodsrider427
2/1/2021 6:24pm
I would go for the Grand Sport or ZO6 to start with if you want the wide body. I've read converting a base to wide body...

5.9_bro wrote:
Clean car! I’ve narrowed my decision down to a grandsport (if I can get a deal) or a base with an LS3 The “expensive” part to...
Clean car!

I’ve narrowed my decision down to a grandsport (if I can get a deal) or a base with an LS3

The “expensive” part to convert to a wide body is a front clip, I’ll just do the rear end or a “widebooty” coverson for about 2k plus wheels and tires,

Motor wise I’m going to do dual springs, a really agressive cam, pushrods, and rockers with Texas racing long tube headers and a borla exhaust. Then coil overs. And eventually a supercharger down the line.

I’ve decided to steer clear of the Zo6 due to the head problems, it seems it’s really easy to drop a valve and is expensive to fix. My shop As well recommend steering clear and that a ls3 is a lot better to make boost on!
Thanks. Keep an eye on the for sale forum on that website, you may just find one with similar mods done already. Although a deal might be hard to come by now. Like everything else, that market seems to have gone a little crazy this year.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvettes-for-sale-98/
5.9_bro
2/1/2021 6:54pm

5.9_bro wrote:
Clean car! I’ve narrowed my decision down to a grandsport (if I can get a deal) or a base with an LS3 The “expensive” part to...
Clean car!

Thanks. Keep an eye on the for sale forum on that website, you may just find one with similar mods done already. Although a deal might...
Thanks. Keep an eye on the for sale forum on that website, you may just find one with similar mods done already. Although a deal might be hard to come by now. Like everything else, that market seems to have gone a little crazy this year.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the corvette forums and appreciate the info!!
Any other tips?
woodsrider427
2/2/2021 5:13am
5.9_bro wrote:
Clean car!

Thanks. Keep an eye on the for sale forum on that website, you may just find one with similar mods done already. Although a deal might...

5.9_bro wrote:
I’ve been keeping an eye on the corvette forums and appreciate the info!!
Any other tips?
As someone mentioned above, the harmonic balancer can be an issue but I haven't had it with mine. The electronics can be a little finicky, especially if you let the battery go low. I keep mine on a battery tender if I won't be driving it more than a week apart. I have read of some other issues with them, but I haven't had any. It's been a solid car. I think you'll find issues with any cars if you read enough. Good luck with your search, post pictures if you get one.

Post a reply to: C6 corvette

The Latest