(By request) Marc Anthony (flatout111)'s various touring and recording Sonor drum kits

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2018 4:27 PM

A few people asked, so here goes. I had some requests to see some of my touring and recording drum kits. I signed with Sonor Drums in 1997 and been with them ever since. I've also been with Aquarian drumheads and Regal drumsticks for years as well.

Anyway, here are a few shots of my live and recording kits thru the years at Universal, way before and after. Hope you guys enjoy them. here's also a few shots with some some rock Gods such as Gene Simmons of KISS, Eric Singer of KISS and CC DeVille of Poison.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/7/2018 4:40 PM

Thanks, my son's second passion is drums, he'll like this.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

4/7/2018 8:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2018 8:35 PM

oldblood wrote:

Thanks, my son's second passion is drums, he'll like this.

You're welcome.

|

4/7/2018 8:50 PM

Very cool that you were able to make a career out of this, something that's pretty unique and clearly a passion. Great stuff.

|

4/7/2018 9:22 PM

Hey
Very cool another rocker into moto.
Nice kits!! Sonor are really nice sounding drums...not a drummer but rather a sound eng and just love mixing a well played in tune drum kit.
30 years on the road retired in 2009 but building a studio to continue the craft. Been into moto since "72" and still at it at 60 have my own private track on 40 acres out in AZ to keep my old bones in tune.

I checked out a few videos on youtube...don't know how i missed Y'all Good shit dude.
Who are you playing with now if anyone? Would like to hear more.

|

4/7/2018 11:25 PM

motomojo wrote:

Hey
Very cool another rocker into moto.
Nice kits!! Sonor are really nice sounding drums...not a drummer but rather a sound ...more

Thank you, sir. I pride myself on good sounding kits. And I play them wide open, just tuned properly. Heck, if the sound guys let me I use a full resonant side head with no hole on the 26" kick ala Bonham. Most don't like that, though.

I freelance now, man. Gun for hire. Just did some ghost drumming for a decently well known artist. Can't even hint who it is though. Nobody huge but most people have heard of artist X if serious into music. But honestly, it will be years before I can legally even say who it is. It's business.

So, still at it but doing it more off the road now. Which is fine. smile

|

4/8/2018 9:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 9:26 AM

flatout111 wrote:

Thank you, sir. I pride myself on good sounding kits. And I play them wide open, just tuned properly. Heck, if the sound guys ...more

Ha! yeah we tend want more of the attack from the beater head to get a tighter sound live.
Recording for sure with some room mics and a bit of Compression to get that nice pump.

Totally understand on the can't tell who thing Ha! if folks knew who was actually playing on many records they would freak.

Off road is cool... of course anything on a dirt bike is all good.smile

|

4/8/2018 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 10:18 AM

I don't get the not telling thing. Aren't they going to acknowledge your work on the CD/Album? Haven't purchased a CD in years but remember seeing some of them with the leaflet in the case that had the track listings, lyrics, members, studio, etc.

I understand you're getting paid to do it but acknowledgment is great and could help in getting more gigs, no?

I'm not from that world but from the outside looking in it doesn't seem to make much sense.

Other question is why isn't the band member doing is own work? Doesn't seem fair that he's the one being paid to be part of the band and you get a fraction to do part of his job. He gets royalties on the album sales and you get squat? Sounds backwards.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/8/2018 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 12:28 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I don't get the not telling thing. Aren't they going to acknowledge your work on the CD/Album? Haven't purchased a CD in years ...more

Valid questions. Let me explain. Ghost musicians are brought in and paid to replace members in secret. Thus you get no recognition but you are paid well.

Peter Criss of KISS was credited on both Dynasty and Unmasked but it was all Anton Fig. Criss was having personal issues and there were issues with him from the rest of the band. Essentially, he wasn't cutting it. But to protect the image of the band a ghost drummer was brought in to play the parts in secret.

Sometimes it's because certain musicians can't get parts right and time is money. Fred Coury of Cinderella was rreplaced on their first album.

It happens but bands try to protect the image of the band. Ace didn't play on hardly any of Destroyer due to his personal issues and Bob Ezrin wanting better performances.

|

4/8/2018 11:54 AM

I have a question. Is there anything about being in the music business that you didn't expect? Never having operated at that level I wonder how much different it is than a lower gigging level.

|

4/8/2018 12:11 PM

Live performances are done and gone. Studio performances are under a microscope and are around forever.

|

4/8/2018 12:19 PM

Mr. G wrote:

I have a question. Is there anything about being in the music business that you didn't expect? Never having operated at that ...more

Good question. What I didn't expect is just how much pressure it is at times. Studio in particular. If the recird company is paying an exhorbitant amount of money for studio time and you aren't cutting it..yeah, you'll be replaced. Pretty quick.

Also, the more it becomes a business the less fun it is. The on stage and actual playing is always great hut everything else can become pressure and headaches a lot of time. And there are some real immature clowns you have to deal with. Especially other musicians.

Oh yeah. And egos. It's a bit much sometimes.

|

4/8/2018 12:26 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I don't get the not telling thing. Aren't they going to acknowledge your work on the CD/Album? Haven't purchased a CD in years ...more

Oh yeah, if you sign a contract and talk about it whatsoever it is breach of contract and you will be sued. Especially if it is a more popular artist. Rest assured. I've seen it. Not me, but someone else. You're paid to do a job and part of that job is to remain silent.

|

4/8/2018 1:35 PM

Mr. G wrote:

I have a question. Is there anything about being in the music business that you didn't expect? Never having operated at that ...more

flatout111 wrote:

Good question. What I didn't expect is just how much pressure it is at times. Studio in particular. If the recird company is ...more

The Studio can be a rough stressful place if you aren't on your game 100%.

Sounds and looks like a glamorous life and is for those who make it huge but for most it is a daily grind.
It's a lot of hard work much of which is never seen nor appreciated.
It's no different than any other professional career if you want to make it you gotta work your ass off.
Not feeling very good today, can't call in sick show is in an hour man up.

|

4/8/2018 3:30 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

flatout111 wrote:

Oh yeah, if you sign a contract and talk about it whatsoever it is breach of contract and you will be sued. Especially if it ...more

I get the contract thing and bringing in a ghost to record parts or the full album if the other drumner is having personal issues or to save time and money recording but the thing I don't get is if it's too technical.

I mean if the drummer has difficulty performing a single song whatever but if it's more than a couple what happens when the band goes on tour? Does he just play a few sloppy songs and hope no one notices? I suppose he can sort of get away with it since it's a live performance and things need to sound better on the recorded version for the album.

The other question is do you automatically substitute or get the first call to replace that drummer if he suddenly gets sick or can't play a few shows for whatever reason when the band is on the road touring? I'm no music artist but seems like I would work that out in the contract unless it's a band/music you're not really into.

Regardless it still sucks to not be acknowledged for your work especially if the band has a decent amount success and sells a good amount of albums.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/8/2018 3:43 PM

Bitchin. Very cool. I got a vintage set of Ludwig stainless octoplus, very rare, how the hell do I clean them! There's too many different opinions on Google, I'm sure you may have an idea. And thank you, you seem like a modest person, it's hard for a modest person to "brag" or show off a bit. I'm glad you did, you deserve it cool

|

4/8/2018 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2018 4:40 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I get the contract thing and bringing in a ghost to record parts or the full album if the other drumner is having personal ...more

Replacements do happen when a band is on tour as in 2000 when Motley Crue's Randy Castillos stomach surgery took longer to heal than expected and Samantha Maloney filled in till he could return...One of my favorite Motley shows is the 2000 tour with Sam bashing away.
There are many other instances of this type of thing. "The show must go on" as they say.

And yes you can get away with much more live than studio but only to a point before it becomes detrimental
ie you can't keep consistently fucking up.

As far as part being to technical the songwriter may have written a part that is just beyond the band member (drum',bass, whatever..) ability to pull off what he wants in the part for the record but can cover it well enough live.

|

4/8/2018 5:01 PM

Mr. G wrote:

flatout111 wrote:

Good question. What I didn't expect is just how much pressure it is at times. Studio in particular. If the recird company is ...more

Thank you for the answer, been wondering that.

|

4/8/2018 5:41 PM

B DUB 333 wrote:

Bitchin. Very cool. I got a vintage set of Ludwig stainless octoplus, very rare, how the hell do I clean them! There's too ...more

Thanks man.

Honestly, I would post that query on the Pearl drummer's forum. I've never had stainless, just chrome wrap. I would think a good glass cleaner but again I would ask the people on that forum. Im sure someone else has that shell material.

Octa plus rules.

|

4/8/2018 6:01 PM

flatout111 wrote:

Oh yeah, if you sign a contract and talk about it whatsoever it is breach of contract and you will be sued. Especially if it ...more

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I get the contract thing and bringing in a ghost to record parts or the full album if the other drumner is having personal ...more

motomojo wrote:

Replacements do happen when a band is on tour as in 2000 when Motley Crue's Randy Castillos stomach surgery took longer to ...more

I was at the Sonor warehouse picking up a kit when Sam picked up her beautiful pink sparkle kit. Great lady and killer drummer.

|

4/9/2018 1:26 AM

Lol. For sure. Monster Energy Supercross is, by far, the greatest Moto game ever, in my eyes. Hands down.

But you knew i would say that, im sure. smile

All Out is good but still a long ways away from being in same league as MES. In my opinion.

|

4/9/2018 10:42 AM

How do you like the acrylic kit? I've never actually played one.

|

4/9/2018 11:31 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

flatout111 wrote:

Here's a funny explanation of how ghost playing worked from that crazy Quincy Jones interview a few months back. Great read it's the one where Jones talks about Richard Pryor and Marlon Brando

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html

What were your first impressions of the Beatles?

That they were the worst musicians in the world. They were no-playing motherfuckers. Paul was the worst bass player I ever heard. And Ringo? Don’t even talk about it. I remember once we were in the studio with George Martin, and RingoJones arranged a version of “Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing” for Starr’s 1970 solo debut album Sentimental Journey, which was produced by the Beatles’ frequent collaborator George Martin. The song, and album, are more than a bit gloopy. had taken three hours for a four-bar thing he was trying to fix on a song. He couldn’t get it. We said, “Mate, why don’t you get some lager and lime, some shepherd’s pie, and take an hour-and-a-half and relax a little bit.” So he did, and we called Ronnie Verrell, a jazz drummer. Ronnie came in for 15 minutes and tore it up. Ringo comes back and says, “George, can you play it back for me one more time?” So George did, and Ringo says, “That didn’t sound so bad.” And I said, “Yeah, motherfucker because it ain’t you.” Great guy, though.

|

4/9/2018 1:22 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

flatout111 wrote:

gabrielito wrote:

Here's a funny explanation of how ghost playing worked from that crazy Quincy Jones interview a few months back. Great read ...more

Great story. Yeah, I love The Beatles but Ringo wasn't considered by most as being a great drummer.

|

4/9/2018 1:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 1:26 PM

zehn wrote:

How do you like the acrylic kit? I've never actually played one.

The Sonor XRay acrylic kit is great. Very loud. It is great in a live environment. I wouldn't use it in the studio a lot but for live application it sounds and looks great. I generally stick with maple or an old Sonor beechwood kit for recording.

|

4/9/2018 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 2:08 PM

Cool shit flatout! Ive played bass for many years but no where near the level you are on. Awesome to see how many moto dudes play music. Cool to put a face to the storys now. Everytime you posted and mentioned drumming i just imagined you looked like this.Photo

|

4/10/2018 2:14 PM

Good stuff. smile

|

4/10/2018 5:16 PM

Very cool. Always love your music posts.

I see you are in Raleigh. Do you know Reed or any of the guys in Corrosion of Conformity? I know they all still live around Raleigh(except Pepper). Also Blake Richardson from Between the Buried and Me is from that area. I was at NC State the same time he was. Pretty crazy that you guys are all very accomplished drummers and happen to all live so close.

|

4/10/2018 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 5:34 PM

FolkLoar wrote:

Very cool. Always love your music posts.

I see you are in Raleigh. Do you know Reed or any of the guys in Corrosion of ...more

I don't know Reed that well but man, he's awesome. But, Jason Patterson (of Cry of Love) was my drum teacher for years. Great guy, super talented.

|

4/10/2018 5:35 PM

GuyB wrote:

Good stuff. smile

Thanks, Guy B. smile

|