Buying land and guns and stuff

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 9:23am
So I'm thinking of buying some land for building a small track and shooting range. The range is the biggest reason. However II'm not sure what the process is, associated fees, am I required to have insurance, and so forth.
Also cant decide how many acres I need, and how far I'm willing to drive. 2+ hours away and land gets real cheap. Like $1k an acre cheap. I have $4K to put as a down payment. Could go higher to 5 or 6 if I can buy the land outright and avoid the bank. What do yall think would be a reasonable amount of land for a 100 yard range and a small personal track? I did find 8 acres for sale about 15 minutes away. I believe it's only $18,000. Might call the realtor tomortow.
And while on the subject of spending my money. Cabelas has the Armalite and Windham AR for the same price. Windhams is the way to go correct?
|
2/21/2019 1:38am
I had a windham. Great weapons. Sold it. Now my go to ar style platform is the saint edge. man is it insanely nice.

I’m on 5 acres And have a nice backstop. But if I had 10 I could do some further out to distance. More the better in my opinion.

You plan on moving out there or always driving 2 hours ?
mattmatt300
2/21/2019 5:05am
You should be able to find some cheap land around Cedartown or even on the west side of Rockmart which would be way less than 2 hours away. Or possibly Piedmont, AL. Still only an hour give or take. If you do a range and you’re wanting other people to come to it I think your best bet would be to do a “members only” setup like a lot of moto tracks have gone to.
newmann
2/21/2019 5:44am
3250 feet per second, what is your plan for a stray? Who owns the adjacent land? And make sure your realtor understands what you plan to do with the land so the zoning can be verified. I have a friend who bought 20 acres out in the Texas hill country and had to search high and low for a nice piece where he could shoot.

As for the gun, a really good barrel, trigger and optics are what you seek. Everything else is pretty much fluff. Larue always has their MBT trigger set on sale for around 90 bucks. You can often times find Geissele SSA-E triggers for under $200.00. Lots of good barrels out there for reasonable money.

The Shop

2/21/2019 9:53am
If you just want a badass piece of machinery outta the box for the price that saint edge can’t be beat Newman!
2/21/2019 9:58am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 10:01am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=tjZ5YO0irxg

I had $1700 into my windham. still doesn’t operate like this edge I picked up. And I only paid 1032 out the door the edge. Money well spent! Windham are great rifles don’t get me wrong !

The trigger is amazing. No slop. Clean light consistent break. excellent reset. Just a phenomenal weapon. I wish the us army would contract this weapon.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/21/2019 11:00am
That saint edge looks awesome but at nearly twice the price, I'll go with the windham.
Georgie does your 5 acres seem like enough for a small moto track? A football field is a little over 1 acre, so I think 5 ought to be plenty for a small track. Also I have little to no intentions of building a house on this land.

Matt seems like most of the land in rockmart and cedartown are pushing 10K an acre. Cant find much at a reasonable price around here.
I was looking into Alabama, but the cheap land is towards the middle of the state. Georgia border is pretty similar to georgia prices. I dont think I'm gonna open anything to the public, just for me/family/good friends.

Newmann I'll be building up a backstop, last thing I wanna do is kill someone because I couldn't be bothered to make sure my rounds stay on my property.
Thanks for the advice.
I think I'm gonna go check this out tomorrow. Memory said 8 acres but 5 is still good.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Killarney-Way-Kingston-GA-30145/20…
mxdude105
2/21/2019 11:10am
$18k for 5 acres? Holy shit that is cheap. What kind of terrain? Flat/hills/mountains, etc?
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/21/2019 11:33am
mxdude105 wrote:
$18k for 5 acres? Holy shit that is cheap. What kind of terrain? Flat/hills/mountains, etc?
The ad says it's mostly flat but the local area is fairly hilly.
Thats the property 15 minutes from my house, and being near a huge hunting reserve I dont forsee anyone bitching about gun noise. The dirt bike might give me headaches if the hunters think I'm scaring off the deer though. Someone needs to gift me an alta Grinning
2/21/2019 11:39am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 11:42am
You’ll start putting accessories on your windham and be about. $100 away from the edge haha.

Plenty of room to build a track. I’m gonna put a pitbike track in because I got a lot of really nice grass on my property. I don’t wanna tear it up with a moto track. back corner of the property gonna put a pitbike sx track for summer parties.

Make sure your back stop is a horseshoe. That way you set up a course. Push dirt Atleast 20 feet high dig a pond.
SEEMEFIRST
2/21/2019 8:23pm
Go get a Savage .17 with a bull barrel and you can whip shits ass to 200 easy. I bust cormorants and swimming beavers at 150 all day.

I think the rifle was 400, the scope was a bit more.

I dropped a 250 lb pig in his tracks with it too. Evidently the ear hole is a deal maker.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/21/2019 11:04pm
I've heard the Anderson's can be questionable quality?
Dont want a .17
5.56 NATO ammo is cheap, and ARs are cool. I got a .22 bolt action anyways
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/21/2019 11:55pm
So Bartow county is a bit ridiculous on the zoning restrictions.
Thanks newmann for the advice. Looks like the Kingston property is a no go

2/22/2019 4:05am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2019 4:06am
colintrax wrote:
I've heard the Anderson's can be questionable quality? Dont want a .17 5.56 NATO ammo is cheap, and ARs are cool. I got a .22 bolt...
Dont want a .17
Nothing wrong with them. I’ve got 4, 3 put together never been fired. Probably have 1500 rounds through the one—-no issues. Waiting on the next gun scare. Should triple my money when that day comes!
newmann
2/22/2019 6:24am
colintrax wrote:
I've heard the Anderson's can be questionable quality? Dont want a .17 5.56 NATO ammo is cheap, and ARs are cool. I got a .22 bolt...
Dont want a .17
I always thought the same just due to how cheap they were and that so many of them were sold as "blems". After the hurricane and flood in 2017, my son's employer had a new travel trailer delivered to his house. In it was a small treasure trove of weapons. Seems another employee had already loaded a few of his evacuated items in it thinking it was the one going to be delivered to his house. Needless to say, we found the proper owner and all weapons were returned and not sent to Benchmade to be cut up and destroyed. One of the guns was a Palmetto State Freedom Upper assembled on an Anderson lower. You really can't get a much less expensive AR build but dammit if those two different brand upper and lower receivers didn't mate up with a precision fit second to none. Zero slop and the pins pushed in and out without having to be forced. Without looking at the names on the components you would have thought you were holding a much more expensive gun. I was impressed.
FiendzCC
2/22/2019 12:14pm
I can't wait until these are things I'm asking questions about and deciding on. I need to get the hell out of this commie state Dry
newmann
2/22/2019 1:45pm
colintrax wrote:
So Bartow county is a bit ridiculous on the zoning restrictions. Thanks newmann for the advice. Looks like the Kingston property is a no go [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/21/327068/s1200_Screenshot_20190222_023917_Hancom_Office_Editor.jpg[/img]
So Bartow county is a bit ridiculous on the zoning restrictions.
Thanks newmann for the advice. Looks like the Kingston property is a no go

Yep, zoning laws can bite you. My friend who bought the 20 acres...$20,000.00 per acre. There was acreage out there where you can't have outside lighting other than porch lamps on after 9 pm. Can't disrupt the dark country living nighttime sky...

He and his wife started clearing the land, built a road in, got utilities on the land, built a shop with a small apartment in it so they had a place to stay while working on it and then he gets sick. Can't work, used up all sick leave and three years from full retirement. May end up losing his job and retirement over this if no one can diagnose him. They are selling off a few of their properties. I'm buying a townhouse from them right now for another rental and may express some interest in the hill country property if he decides to put it on the market.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/22/2019 5:24pm
Went to the local gun store to see if they had any assembled Palemttos and that was a no go.
So went to cabelas and picked up the windham. The machining and coatings all look good. Feels solid. Only thing is the furniture feels cheap. The hard case they include is also REAL cheap. I dont see it surviving long. On the concerning level, the gun is supposed to to come with a dummy round in the chamber. Mine did not. Did come with a heavy barrel. All in all I like it, ergos are good and cant be upset at $600. Gonna order some sights tonight.

Went and looked at the land in Kingston. 2 miles of dirt road to get to it, all "neighbors" live in trailers, oak trees EVERYWHERE, awful georgia red clay, rolling hills. About what I expected. Going back through the zoning laws I'm not sure if they're an issue as long as I'm not out there running a business. I mean is a "motocross track" if I just happened to clear a few trees and build some small bumps to ride my dirt bike? Zoning laws say you need 10 acres for mountain bikes but I ain't ever had a problem riding around the house. Zoning laws say you cant have livestock within x number of feet of the house. But I know several folks that have cows walking right to their front door.
Might talk to a lawyer before putting down the cash just to be sure I'm not going to run into problems.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/22/2019 5:28pm
newmann wrote:
Yep, zoning laws can bite you. My friend who bought the 20 acres...$20,000.00 per acre. There was acreage out there where you can't have outside lighting...
Yep, zoning laws can bite you. My friend who bought the 20 acres...$20,000.00 per acre. There was acreage out there where you can't have outside lighting other than porch lamps on after 9 pm. Can't disrupt the dark country living nighttime sky...

He and his wife started clearing the land, built a road in, got utilities on the land, built a shop with a small apartment in it so they had a place to stay while working on it and then he gets sick. Can't work, used up all sick leave and three years from full retirement. May end up losing his job and retirement over this if no one can diagnose him. They are selling off a few of their properties. I'm buying a townhouse from them right now for another rental and may express some interest in the hill country property if he decides to put it on the market.
I hope he gets better soon, that's a scary situation
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/23/2019 4:53am
colintrax wrote:
Went to the local gun store to see if they had any assembled Palemttos and that was a no go. So went to cabelas and picked...
Went to the local gun store to see if they had any assembled Palemttos and that was a no go.
So went to cabelas and picked up the windham. The machining and coatings all look good. Feels solid. Only thing is the furniture feels cheap. The hard case they include is also REAL cheap. I dont see it surviving long. On the concerning level, the gun is supposed to to come with a dummy round in the chamber. Mine did not. Did come with a heavy barrel. All in all I like it, ergos are good and cant be upset at $600. Gonna order some sights tonight.

Went and looked at the land in Kingston. 2 miles of dirt road to get to it, all "neighbors" live in trailers, oak trees EVERYWHERE, awful georgia red clay, rolling hills. About what I expected. Going back through the zoning laws I'm not sure if they're an issue as long as I'm not out there running a business. I mean is a "motocross track" if I just happened to clear a few trees and build some small bumps to ride my dirt bike? Zoning laws say you need 10 acres for mountain bikes but I ain't ever had a problem riding around the house. Zoning laws say you cant have livestock within x number of feet of the house. But I know several folks that have cows walking right to their front door.
Might talk to a lawyer before putting down the cash just to be sure I'm not going to run into problems.
The picture you posted of the zoning regulations looked like it was guidelines for commercial purposes. I'm not a lawyer but when it comes to shooting or riding in the country by yourself or with some friends it's usually only really an issue if the neighbors call the cops on you for a noise or nuisance complaint. Having said that, be wary of the neighbors, they can be your worst enemy. Some folks don't like a city boy rolling up in his new truck causing a commotion on the Sabbath.
mxtech1
2/23/2019 6:55am
You could build a small track that has narrower lanes and hairpin turns on 2-3 acres and have a blast. Ideally, you would want 5-10 acres which would allow for higher speed straights and more flowing corners.

Natural elevation changes enable the quickest and cheapest way for a fun track. A flat property is going to be difficult to build anything on on because you will need to push and haul around a lot of dirt, typically dig a pond and transport to track. This will be equipment intensive.

Keep in mind in takes a lot of time, labor, and machinery to cut lanes through timber to make a track. If you come across a property that has water flowing through it you would have the ability to do some light watering with a pump.

The broadside of a tall, long tabletop also serve the far end of your range for a catch.
hillbilly
2/23/2019 7:15am
colintrax wrote:
So I'm thinking of buying some land for building a small track and shooting range. The range is the biggest reason. However II'm not sure what...
So I'm thinking of buying some land for building a small track and shooting range. The range is the biggest reason. However II'm not sure what the process is, associated fees, am I required to have insurance, and so forth.
Also cant decide how many acres I need, and how far I'm willing to drive. 2+ hours away and land gets real cheap. Like $1k an acre cheap. I have $4K to put as a down payment. Could go higher to 5 or 6 if I can buy the land outright and avoid the bank. What do yall think would be a reasonable amount of land for a 100 yard range and a small personal track? I did find 8 acres for sale about 15 minutes away. I believe it's only $18,000. Might call the realtor tomortow.
And while on the subject of spending my money. Cabelas has the Armalite and Windham AR for the same price. Windhams is the way to go correct?
Here ,you can do whatever the hell you want, no rules
Branham96
2/23/2019 12:54pm
newmann wrote:
If you are wanting an entry level AR, keep an eye on this site. They often times have complete AR build kits for under $300.00. You...
If you are wanting an entry level AR, keep an eye on this site. They often times have complete AR build kits for under $300.00. You can get an Anderson lower receiver for about $30.00-40.00. Easy to assemble

https://palmettostatearmory.com/daily-deals-new.html

I bought one of these Palmetto kits and bought a Ruger lower through a local FFL dealer. No complaints whatsover.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/23/2019 1:03pm
early wrote:
The picture you posted of the zoning regulations looked like it was guidelines for commercial purposes. I'm not a lawyer but when it comes to shooting...
The picture you posted of the zoning regulations looked like it was guidelines for commercial purposes. I'm not a lawyer but when it comes to shooting or riding in the country by yourself or with some friends it's usually only really an issue if the neighbors call the cops on you for a noise or nuisance complaint. Having said that, be wary of the neighbors, they can be your worst enemy. Some folks don't like a city boy rolling up in his new truck causing a commotion on the Sabbath.
Never heard somebody say taylorsville is city Grinning

Those zoning regulations were under residential but they seem worded for commercial. I mean really 10 acres for bicycles? I'm thinking itll be fine, I am looking at other counties though.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
2/23/2019 1:07pm
mxtech1 wrote:
You could build a small track that has narrower lanes and hairpin turns on 2-3 acres and have a blast. Ideally, you would want 5-10 acres...
You could build a small track that has narrower lanes and hairpin turns on 2-3 acres and have a blast. Ideally, you would want 5-10 acres which would allow for higher speed straights and more flowing corners.

Natural elevation changes enable the quickest and cheapest way for a fun track. A flat property is going to be difficult to build anything on on because you will need to push and haul around a lot of dirt, typically dig a pond and transport to track. This will be equipment intensive.

Keep in mind in takes a lot of time, labor, and machinery to cut lanes through timber to make a track. If you come across a property that has water flowing through it you would have the ability to do some light watering with a pump.

The broadside of a tall, long tabletop also serve the far end of your range for a catch.
I dont own a tractor or anything big, and while I have friends that do I'd rather not go asking to borrow them. Renting can get real expensive real quick. Regardless of how much land I end up with itll be a small track with very few jumps or man made obstacles.
I've never cut trail so I really dont even know what to do there but I'll tackle it when I get there. Chain saw and stump grinder?
bugnboo
2/25/2019 7:00am
colintrax wrote:
So I'm thinking of buying some land for building a small track and shooting range. The range is the biggest reason. However II'm not sure what...
hillbilly wrote:
Here ,you can do whatever the hell you want, no rules
Message sent hillbilly
IWreckALot
2/25/2019 9:23am
colintrax wrote:
Went to the local gun store to see if they had any assembled Palemttos and that was a no go. So went to cabelas and picked...

What is your shooting experience? Have you ever owned an AR?

I have a couple of ARs. I enjoy shooting the ARs. But they're really only fun for about 5 min at a time. You rattle off $20 of ammunition in a few seconds. That's a little rich for my blood. I've started enjoying distance shooting. I really only have my AR that is 7.62 for distance, but my next gun will be a bolt gun and nice scope. It's a lot of fun to get a gun dialed in and shooting 300 yards and out.

Post a reply to: Buying land and guns and stuff

The Latest