Buying a truck sight unseen

34moto894
Hey folks... looking for some time sensitive advice here. Long story short I found a carbon copy of my dad's old truck in original condition from the 70s, original owner selling through a dealer. It's on the other side of the country and if I want it (I do, I've been looking for one forever) I need to buy it by Monday morning.

Anyone ever buy classic cars/trucks on eBay or other classified sight unseen? I'm wary of sending someone my money without seeing the vehicle but this is literally too good to be true and I am 99% ready to buy.

What should I look out for to make sure its not a scam? Any precautionary steps to take? Anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area want to help me out and take a look for me?

The way this truck is set up, it's kind of rare and I just can't see it being a scam. The selling dealer has 18 great eBay reviews and 1 negative review. I talked to him tonight and the story seems legit.

Please help/advise

|
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
6/12/2021 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2021 8:37pm
If you can hire someone local, that would be ideal. When I was in my early 20’s, I sold a 70 Chevelle on EBay, and the buyer was not happy when he received it. It didn’t turn into a problem, and no negative review, he just said it wasn’t as nice as he thought it was represented. He sent two guys to inspect it, and they approved, so there wasn’t much he could do.

I had a buddy buy a VW R32, and when it showed up, same kind of thing.

I’d the very least ask for a video of a walk around, and a startup and driving video. Bring a Trailer.com usually is pretty good for how buying a used classic should go. Tons of detailed pics and video.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/12/2021 8:46pm
I bought a “restored” 1952 Chevy truck off EBay around 10+ years ago. The guy put out a nice presentation and claimed he had been restoring vehicles for 35 years. It looked decent when it was delivered but it turned out to be a real piece of shit. It cost me a fortune to get it into decent running condition when I thought I was buying it in hood running condition.

I’d look into hiring a professional inspector but it sounds like you won’t have time for that.

Good luck 👍
Pics please if you end up getting it
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/13/2021 8:35am
I have a simple rule: never buy something you care about sight unseen. This scenario would almost be worth a plane trip, just to be sure.
6/13/2021 11:05pm
eBay cars , trucks sometimes don’t match the add. Usually in worse condition. I called on a 90 white ext cab 2 wheel drive with 41k for 10k. Things got odd with there’s a smell in the interior, Speedo just stopped working. But it’s really clean, ? Ac system.

The Shop

zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/14/2021 8:55am
eBay cars , trucks sometimes don’t match the add. Usually in worse condition. I called on a 90 white ext cab 2 wheel drive with 41k...
eBay cars , trucks sometimes don’t match the add. Usually in worse condition. I called on a 90 white ext cab 2 wheel drive with 41k for 10k. Things got odd with there’s a smell in the interior, Speedo just stopped working. But it’s really clean, ? Ac system.
lot of early 90s trucks are 5 digit odometers
Fonzarelli
6/14/2021 9:05am
Pictures always look better than the real thing. This applies to trucks and chicks.
34moto894
6/14/2021 9:19am
I have an old buddy stationed out there going to look at it today for me. The dealer is giving me first right of refusal which is nice. If I pass, he's got someone lined up to buy it.

Went through the pics of the truck zoomed in 1000x yesterday and found some items that are questionable.
Shiftfaced
6/14/2021 9:59am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2021 10:03am
You need boots on the ground to lay eyes on it. I was after 1970’s BMW 2002’s, and a sweet one popped up on eBay, right over in Eugene, OR.

I checked the sellers history, and a random 2002 part sold here, a random 2002 part sold there.

I sent a message about pick-up, and they responded pretty quickly. Car needed to be paid in full 3 days after auction ended, which was NBD.

I won the auction, and sent an e-mail that I would be in Oregon the next day. I then received an e-mail stating they had plans that they had forgot about, would be out of town for the next 10 days, but they had a shipper lined up to deliver to Boise right away.

I told them “NO!”, I will be in Oregon tomorrow, won’t need shipping, and they can leave the keys and title with somebody they trust, but I sill not pay for the car until I have laid eyes on it.

Never heard from them again.

Cost me a non-refundable airline ticket, but that was better than the alternative.

(Yours is through a dealer, and not eBay, so I don’t think my story really relates to your situation, but having somebody lay eyes on it is still a good approach.)

Post a reply to: Buying a truck sight unseen

The Latest