Buying a house (stress 101)

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
Edited Date/Time 5/16/2018 12:55pm
Nothing of real substance here other than venting. I have been in a rad townhouse for 4 years and the guys is moving/suddenly selling it. It is worth about $600k and I'm not going to be purchasing it so I'm moving ASAP. As people know, San Diego is pretty damn expensive and the market is high with buyers and lower with sellers. Needless to say, it is overwhelming and easy to get frustrated. "Starter homes" around here are 400-500k.

Any advice other than due diligence on realtors/lenders, checking crime reports, researching on what has sold in last 30-60 days & digging online for all/any property?

I've already considered finding a rich woman, working on that haha
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/15/2018 10:36am
If things get desperate you could start looking for a rich man Laughing
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2018 10:46am
early wrote:
Hahaa! dammit...
TXDirt
5/15/2018 10:48am
early wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Hahaa! dammit...
lol any port in a storm will do.

The Shop

jamesvisser
5/15/2018 11:08am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 11:08am
ginger969 wrote:
Hit up my buddy down there who does Real Estate, James Visser! He should be able to assist you! https://www.facebook.com/jamesvisserrealtor/ And of course if you ever...
Hit up my buddy down there who does Real Estate, James Visser! He should be able to assist you! https://www.facebook.com/jamesvisserrealtor/

And of course if you ever just throw in the town in CA and head to Boise to ride with me, let me know Wink

https://www.facebook.com/ShelbyPagetRealty/
Thanks Shelby! Yeah, if you need help in So. Cal. (SD County, Riverside County Etc.) I'm your guy!

Cell: 760.484.3159
Email: james@judsonrealestate.net
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/15/2018 11:18am
Find yourself a cheaper starter home in places like El Cajon, Ramona, or Fallbrook. Maybe commute from Temecula or Murrietta. The drive sucks, but that's the only way you'll find something less than $500K.
There used to be pockets of cheap in San Marcos, but I doubt you'll find anything there anymore. Maybe Oceanside?

I usually dig around on Zillow and Trulia.com for listings, just to keep a finger on the pulse. I'm planning on buying in about 2 years myself, probably in Murrieta, Wildomar or Menifee.

BTW, I feel like there's going to be another (smaller) housing bubble to burst in a few years. People will be ditching their mortgages and losing their homes, so the prices will float down. It may be worth your while to wait it out a little longer, but of course judge for yourself... I could be very wrong.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2018 11:59am
ginger969 wrote:
Hit up my buddy down there who does Real Estate, James Visser! He should be able to assist you! https://www.facebook.com/jamesvisserrealtor/ And of course if you ever...
Hit up my buddy down there who does Real Estate, James Visser! He should be able to assist you! https://www.facebook.com/jamesvisserrealtor/

And of course if you ever just throw in the town in CA and head to Boise to ride with me, let me know Wink

https://www.facebook.com/ShelbyPagetRealty/
Thanks Shelby! Yeah, if you need help in So. Cal. (SD County, Riverside County Etc.) I'm your guy!

Cell: 760.484.3159
Email: james@judsonrealestate.net
Nice, thanks guys. I have a few buddies in Ramona!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2018 12:01pm
Falcon wrote:
Find yourself a cheaper starter home in places like El Cajon, Ramona, or Fallbrook. Maybe commute from Temecula or Murrietta. The drive sucks, but that's the...
Find yourself a cheaper starter home in places like El Cajon, Ramona, or Fallbrook. Maybe commute from Temecula or Murrietta. The drive sucks, but that's the only way you'll find something less than $500K.
There used to be pockets of cheap in San Marcos, but I doubt you'll find anything there anymore. Maybe Oceanside?

I usually dig around on Zillow and Trulia.com for listings, just to keep a finger on the pulse. I'm planning on buying in about 2 years myself, probably in Murrieta, Wildomar or Menifee.

BTW, I feel like there's going to be another (smaller) housing bubble to burst in a few years. People will be ditching their mortgages and losing their homes, so the prices will float down. It may be worth your while to wait it out a little longer, but of course judge for yourself... I could be very wrong.
Thanks man, I'm with you what you said. I've sort of considered up north but working in downtown San Diego would make it absolute hell. Still considering El Cajon and north county areas. You're right, I can't find anything in San Marcos but there are some lower priced places up in Oceanside.

I think you are probably right on the housing in a year or two but it's really hard to tell. People in the industry keep telling me but at the same time they give the disclaimer "but, it doesn't seem to be trending that way whatsoever".
jamesvisser
5/15/2018 12:16pm
seth505 wrote:
I'm probably a bit biased but it is my favorite ZIP Code in San Diego County, along with 92029 and 92064!
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/15/2018 12:17pm
I am one that would never turn someone away from buying real estate but I must tell you I would be real hesitant to buy right now. Just a feeling but I think we are at a peak or close to one and it might be best to toughen it out in the rental market and see what happens.

And like others suggested you can always move up by Temecula but to get affordable housing up there you will have to get on the outskirts like Murrieta, Elsinore, Menifee, Winchester etc

The commute is brutal though if u have to head North in the afternoon/evening

Any affordable housing in San Diego county is going to get you in pretty dangerous areas. I would stay away from that if at all possible
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2018 12:19pm
seth505 wrote:
I'm probably a bit biased but it is my favorite ZIP Code in San Diego County, along with 92029 and 92064!
Have you seen that hwy 78 property listed for $350k? 9.5 acres but the structure(s) are bombed out. They are only taking cash offers, but 9.5 acres would be a dream.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2018 12:20pm
KennyT wrote:
I am one that would never turn someone away from buying real estate but I must tell you I would be real hesitant to buy right...
I am one that would never turn someone away from buying real estate but I must tell you I would be real hesitant to buy right now. Just a feeling but I think we are at a peak or close to one and it might be best to toughen it out in the rental market and see what happens.

And like others suggested you can always move up by Temecula but to get affordable housing up there you will have to get on the outskirts like Murrieta, Elsinore, Menifee, Winchester etc

Any affordable housing in San Diego county is going to get you in pretty dangerous areas. I would stay away from that if at all possible
Ya, makes sense. I feel like I'd be buying at the high time as well but I'm somewhat forced into the situation and ok with it if I find a place I like. This won't be a flipper, I plan to stay there a bit.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/15/2018 12:32pm
KennyT wrote:
I am one that would never turn someone away from buying real estate but I must tell you I would be real hesitant to buy right...

seth505 wrote:
Ya, makes sense. I feel like I'd be buying at the high time as well but I'm somewhat forced into the situation and ok with it...
Ya, makes sense. I feel like I'd be buying at the high time as well but I'm somewhat forced into the situation and ok with it if I find a place I like. This won't be a flipper, I plan to stay there a bit.
Well keep in mind if you do end up buying high the trend in real estate for our area will always see it come back to where it is now and beyond. If there is a slump it only hurts you if you have to sell at that time. Good luck!

BTW my daughter and here family ended up out n Winchester/French valley. 7 miles east of I-15. Found a great house n a new area with nice new schools/parks etc

Drives a bitch but they like it there
jamesvisser
5/15/2018 12:52pm
seth505 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
Have you seen that hwy 78 property listed for $350k? 9.5 acres but the structure(s) are bombed out. They are only taking cash offers, but 9.5...
Have you seen that hwy 78 property listed for $350k? 9.5 acres but the structure(s) are bombed out. They are only taking cash offers, but 9.5 acres would be a dream.
Shoot me an Email, Ramona is like the back of my hand to me!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
5/15/2018 4:32pm
I say invest. If not, spend your money and get nothing back. Smart....
brogge
5/15/2018 5:50pm
We looked recently at moving to Ramona for additional acreage.

My neighbor was the listing agent for a 7 acre ranch, and knowing I'd be interested he even built a mini moto track just for the open house. Smart guy, almost got me too!
TXDirt
5/15/2018 6:42pm
Move to North Texas. $500k gets your a 5 bedroom, 3 car garage, 4000k sqft house. Maybe even a pool and butler Smile

And yeah NTX one of the fastest growing economies in the U.S.

Lots of cali folks have moved from rent/trailer living to literal McMansions.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/16/2018 7:21am
brogge wrote:
We looked recently at moving to Ramona for additional acreage. My neighbor was the listing agent for a 7 acre ranch, and knowing I'd be interested...
We looked recently at moving to Ramona for additional acreage.

My neighbor was the listing agent for a 7 acre ranch, and knowing I'd be interested he even built a mini moto track just for the open house. Smart guy, almost got me too!
That's what my friends just did...a decent plot of land is tempting!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/16/2018 7:23am
TXDirt wrote:
Move to North Texas. $500k gets your a 5 bedroom, 3 car garage, 4000k sqft house. Maybe even a pool and butler :) And yeah NTX...
Move to North Texas. $500k gets your a 5 bedroom, 3 car garage, 4000k sqft house. Maybe even a pool and butler Smile

True man, my company does have a facility in TX (Mabank)....hmmmm

I try not to look at other parts of the country as the prices will make me drink heavily!
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/16/2018 7:53am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2018 7:53am
TXDirt wrote:
Move to North Texas. $500k gets your a 5 bedroom, 3 car garage, 4000k sqft house. Maybe even a pool and butler :) And yeah NTX...

seth505 wrote:
True man, my company does have a facility in TX (Mabank)....hmmmm I try not to look at other parts of the country as the prices will...

I try not to look at other parts of the country as the prices will make me drink heavily!
Once you’ve lived in this coastal climate it is hard to think of anywhere else. I would live in a crapped out RV before leaving this area
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/16/2018 8:22am
KennyT wrote:
Once you’ve lived in this coastal climate it is hard to think of anywhere else. I would live in a crapped out RV before leaving this...
Once you’ve lived in this coastal climate it is hard to think of anywhere else. I would live in a crapped out RV before leaving this area
Ya man, that's another thing. I have a 3 story townhouse right now in North Park. That isn't even coastal but I get the nice San Diego weather and breezes up in bedroom. Dudes I work with that live in east county have insane electric/AC bills in the summer and it's miserable. If I could avoid that inland summer hell it would be nice.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/16/2018 10:19am
IWreckALot wrote:
[img]https://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-last-week-i-helped-my-friend-stay-put-it-s-a-lot-easier-n-helpin-em-move-i-just-went-over-to-mitch-hedberg-235988.jpg[/img]
RIP, that guy was genius
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/16/2018 10:28am
Falcon wrote:
Find yourself a cheaper starter home in places like El Cajon, Ramona, or Fallbrook. Maybe commute from Temecula or Murrietta. The drive sucks, but that's the...

seth505 wrote:
Thanks man, I'm with you what you said. I've sort of considered up north but working in downtown San Diego would make it absolute hell. Still...
Thanks man, I'm with you what you said. I've sort of considered up north but working in downtown San Diego would make it absolute hell. Still considering El Cajon and north county areas. You're right, I can't find anything in San Marcos but there are some lower priced places up in Oceanside.

I think you are probably right on the housing in a year or two but it's really hard to tell. People in the industry keep telling me but at the same time they give the disclaimer "but, it doesn't seem to be trending that way whatsoever".
My real estate friends were all pointing to 2018 as the year to make hay. "Sell, sell, sell" was the mantra. It doesn't mean 2019 will be any worse, but they sure seem to think that the getting's good at the moment.

I'm starting to hear the "Get cash out of your house" ads on the radio, which was the same thing before the housing crisis. Builders are cropping up EVERYWHERE again; they can't clear the land fast enough. I just can't help but feel that there's going to be an adjustment at least.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
5/16/2018 12:45pm
TXDirt wrote:

seth505 wrote:
True man, my company does have a facility in TX (Mabank)....hmmmm I try not to look at other parts of the country as the prices will...

KennyT wrote:
Once you’ve lived in this coastal climate it is hard to think of anywhere else. I would live in a crapped out RV before leaving this...
Kenny, how long you been in these parts?
IWreckALot
5/16/2018 12:55pm
seth505 wrote:
RIP, that guy was genius
Good luck man. I moved 2 years ago and still remember the headache it was. Fortunately it was a killer real estate market and we were able to sell pretty easily. Just the whole thing is annoying.

Post a reply to: Buying a house (stress 101)

The Latest