Buying a Desktop PC online

rpoint116
8/13/2017 3:06pm
It seems the local selection of desktop PC's is dwindling, whereas I will be forced to buy one online. I get stuff delivered 1-2 times a week, Amazon, R&M items, etc... The packages all seemed to have some "wear" from shipping.

I'm sure 100's of computers get shipped daily. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Has anyone had any or heard of anyone having bad experiences getting PC's shipped?

Thanks!
|
Hut
8/13/2017 3:08pm
Not saying you won't have a problem but they do ship them to the stores where you would pick it up also.
rpoint116
8/13/2017 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 3:32pm
Hut wrote:
Not saying you won't have a problem but they do ship them to the stores where you would pick it up also.
Good point.

However the one I have my eye on is Costco which does not.

I have had DSLR cameras & nice lens's delivered without issues.
Hut
8/13/2017 3:33pm
Hut wrote:
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.

Same here, I have had countless electronic items delivered and can't remember ever having shipping damage
ocscottie
8/14/2017 12:10am
I swear by www.newegg.com Its THE place to get PC / electronic stuff.

..then again i build my own custom PC's from parts ordered there, never looked at their assembled machines, worth a look. btw: i believe they also do price match

The Shop

IWreckALot
8/14/2017 5:54am
I bought my computer from bestbuy.com. They seem to stock entry level computers mostly and a few of the finer Apple products. I had a laundry list of things I wanted in a PC so I ordered it through the bestbuy website and had it delivered to my house. No issues at all. The computer is fast AF also.

But Newegg is probably the better route to go. I had to buy a bunch of shit at Best Buy at the time since we had just bought a new house. Ended up with a $5,000 tab walking out of there. Washer, Dryer, two TV's, Surround Sound receiver, Computer, two monitors, some software, and some other accessories to the computer and TV's. They ended up knocking off about $1,500 off my bill since I bought so much stuff which was cool.

Fuck front load washers.
TXDirt
8/14/2017 8:06am
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Are you worried about if the computer may be damaged in shipping?

If so, the answer is a very very low probability it will be damaged. The computers are packaged to be shipped all around the world.

Check out cdw.com They always have stuff available and that's where I purchase everything for the company I work for.

If something is damaged it likely happened in the manufacturing process and not in the shipping process.
rpoint116
8/14/2017 8:13am
TXDirt wrote:
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Are you worried about if the computer may be damaged in shipping? If so, the answer is a...
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Are you worried about if the computer may be damaged in shipping?

If so, the answer is a very very low probability it will be damaged. The computers are packaged to be shipped all around the world.

Check out cdw.com They always have stuff available and that's where I purchase everything for the company I work for.

If something is damaged it likely happened in the manufacturing process and not in the shipping process.
Correct. Damage during shipping was my concern.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
8/14/2017 8:34am
I got one a few months back off Amazon and had no issues. Mine was packed really well, but of course that is going to vary between suppliers.
SKlein
8/14/2017 8:43am
I've bought two pre-built PC's in the past, no real issues with the delivery. Built my most recent one, and none of the components I ordered from Amazon or Newegg had any damage done to them on arrival. If you go the Amazon/Newegg route their customer service is great and should be able to get it figured out for you if things don't go smoothly.
IWreckALot
8/14/2017 8:57am
Hopefully this asshole doesn't deliver it.

colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
8/14/2017 9:52am
If you wanna build your own, use pcpartpicker.com
It'll show you the best prices, and make sure your components work together.
rpoint116
8/14/2017 10:31am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 10:32am
Thanks guys.

Great feedback as always.
Tyler90
8/15/2017 10:46pm
Interesting story that I had almost forgot about completely until I read this thread... About 3.5 years ago I got a cheap small form factor pc from newegg. The train that it was on actually Derailed and I didn't see the box for a couple of weeks. When I received the package, it clearly had some damage. NewEgg sent me a prepaid return label and I had a solid non-train crashed pc 1 week later. Lol
imoto34
Fantasy
3151st
8/16/2017 2:40pm
Hut wrote:
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.

Does Costco build them in house?

I used to sale complete desktops, monitors, flat screens laptops etc and rarely had them damaged during shipping. The sellers of electronic know that have to package them very well or they will be loosing money buy sending replacements.
TXDirt
8/17/2017 9:07pm
Hut wrote:
rpoint116 wrote:
Good point.

imoto34 wrote:
Does Costco build them in house? I used to sale complete desktops, monitors, flat screens laptops etc and rarely had them damaged during shipping. The sellers...
Does Costco build them in house?

I used to sale complete desktops, monitors, flat screens laptops etc and rarely had them damaged during shipping. The sellers of electronic know that have to package them very well or they will be loosing money buy sending replacements.
No costco doesn't build anything.

Product packaging is like engineering. Ever wondered how they can fit something so perfectly in a small box. The packaging is designed on auto cad. It's tested, refined, and tested again just like the actual product being shipped.

And it goes beyond that.

When intel ships processors from Taiwan the boxes have heat and angular sensors on the boxes. They contract with a shipping company and the contract says they must remain not reach a certain max temp and they don't get tilted in a certain max angle. This is all built into the packaging. It also has humidity sensors. There is no way to circumvent these sensors.

If the shipping company fucks up a 30 million dollar shipment of processors then it goes to insurance.

Post a reply to: Buying a Desktop PC online

The Latest