"Bullitt" chase scene 1968

NorCal 50+
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 5:49pm
Because Steve McQueen...I was in San Fran last week and flashed back to seeing this on TV as a kid. This movie mesmerized me and still kinda does. It was rumored to be the longest on film. I would watch this over a bunch of special effects any day.

https://youtu.be/31JgMAHVeg0

|
NorCal 50+
1/15/2018 11:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 11:20pm
That Mustang...headphones are a bonus right now.

PalerBlue
1/15/2018 11:25pm
I've always loved that film and chase but watching that just then I couldn't help but wonder if a car that could actually go around corners wouldn't have just left the mustang for dead. Cars, and things in general, move on and both of those really were dinosaurs. Cool
Foghorn
1/16/2018 7:00am
Definitely a classic. The original, 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds was a pretty decent chase film as well.
JPT
1/16/2018 7:49am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 7:49am
I was a Junior in High School when it came out. My buddies and I went back 3 or 4 times. It was the first of the truly great chase scenes. And remember, there was no CGI.

The Shop

NorCal 50+
1/16/2018 5:09pm
I did some reading about Steve McQueen- some of the profiles are not very flattering. I didn't know he was basically a street kid, with a fondness for drugs and women, you might say. He was younger than me when he died.
I also didn't know he had proximity to the Sharon Tate murders. Another weird Hollywood tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

NorCal 50+
1/16/2018 5:11pm
LMAO

Lifestyle
McQueen followed a daily two-hour exercise regimen, involving weightlifting and, at one point, running 5 miles (8 km), seven days a week. McQueen learned the martial art Tang Soo Do from ninth-degree black belt Pat E. Johnson.[3]
According to William Claxton, McQueen smoked marijuana almost every day; biographer Marc Eliot alleged he used a large amount of cocaine in the early 1970s.[72] He was also a heavy cigarette smoker. McQueen sometimes drank to excess, and was arrested for driving while intoxicated in Anchorage, Alaska, in 1972.[73]
Sully
1/16/2018 5:17pm
Makes you wonder how much of the actual driving McQueen did in that chase. It was obviously him driving when he overshot that corner, but I wonder how much else was him?
NorCal 50+
1/16/2018 5:34pm
Sully wrote:
Makes you wonder how much of the actual driving McQueen did in that chase. It was obviously him driving when he overshot that corner, but I...
Makes you wonder how much of the actual driving McQueen did in that chase. It was obviously him driving when he overshot that corner, but I wonder how much else was him?
He drove 10%, according to this:
Driver was named Marc Myers
https://jalopnik.com/5744523/the-real-story-of-the-chase-scene-in-bulli…

Ford just issued a Bullitt reissue car. Apparently they scored the original car, that a collector had refused to sell McQueen. I didn't even know about the re-issue when I posted this.

SCR
1/16/2018 7:04pm
I think Bud Ekins worked on the cars with McQueen. And also did some driving.
G-man
1/17/2018 10:21am
PalerBlue wrote:
I've always loved that film and chase but watching that just then I couldn't help but wonder if a car that could actually go around corners...
I've always loved that film and chase but watching that just then I couldn't help but wonder if a car that could actually go around corners wouldn't have just left the mustang for dead. Cars, and things in general, move on and both of those really were dinosaurs. Cool
Well duh those cars were made in the 70s. Dry

That's like saying the latest KTM could smoke a Bultaco around a motocross track.

I really don't understand the point you're trying to make.

But honestly that chase scene is way more captivating to me than today's crap where they just blow everything up and all the CGI bullshit.
MelonFan123
1/17/2018 1:27pm
SCR wrote:
Ekins did the famous motorcycle jump over the fence in The Great Escape, but I don't think he ever did any car stuff? I'll find out, my dad knew Bud back in the day and also worked in the film industry so he may know.

To the guy saying McQueen was a less than flattering person in real life - he was a street kid but as he got famous and made money he did a lot of charitable work with orphanages as that was a part of his childhood as well. His drinking, drugs and women, I mean come on a lot of that was a sign of the times
plowboy
1/17/2018 5:26pm
Blasphemers! Steve McQueen was/ is one of the coolest dudes ever. IDGAF if he smoked or ran a line....he was on point in everything he did. That's enough for me. Respect.
motogrady
1/17/2018 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2018 7:25pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I did some reading about Steve McQueen- some of the profiles are not very flattering. I didn't know he was basically a street kid, with a...
I did some reading about Steve McQueen- some of the profiles are not very flattering. I didn't know he was basically a street kid, with a fondness for drugs and women, you might say. He was younger than me when he died.
I also didn't know he had proximity to the Sharon Tate murders. Another weird Hollywood tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

He was a for real 6 days participant I think twice.
The ISDE. Where you ride 6 days straight, where only you can work on the bike, the event where if youcan't change a flat in under 4 minutes,
including removing and replacing back on the bike, you are not competive.
The guy was a for real motorcycle racer.
When a good dirt bike was a 500cc Triumph set up for the woods.
When men were men.
motogrady
1/17/2018 7:24pm
Sully wrote:
Makes you wonder how much of the actual driving McQueen did in that chase. It was obviously him driving when he overshot that corner, but I...
NorCal 50+ wrote:
He drove 10%, according to this: Driver was named Marc Myers https://jalopnik.com/5744523/the-real-story-of-the-chase-scene-in-bullitt Ford just issued a Bullitt reissue car. Apparently they scored the original car, that...

Ford just issued a Bullitt reissue car. Apparently they scored the original car, that a collector had refused to sell McQueen. I didn't even know about the re-issue when I posted this.

Just read about that 68 mustang.
There were 2 built for the movie.
One was trashed so bad during the movie, it was sent to the scrap yard.
That one was found a rusted hulk in Mexico years ago.

The one in the pic, ended up on an insurance guys hands over 25 years ago.
Got it for around 4K. Drove it as a family car for a few years, then hid it in a barn in Kentucky.
Didn't do anything to it, still has the camera mounts, all the scrapes and dings from the movie shoots.
Original tires, wheels, paint, interior, even dried out duct tape the movie crew had put on the tach and speedo
to keep them from shaking. That's how hard they drove that thing.
Until last week, it was like a big mystery, a ledgend.
Apparently, there is a whole kinda of cottage industry, a rather large group of people that have/are building replicas
of that car. And nobody really knew, besides from stills from the movie, what was done to it.
That's one of the first things they tell you to do when you wanna build one, buy the movie.
Until last week, it was the best way to kinda see how it was done.

That car, with the pedigree it has, the mystique that has built because it's been hidden so long,
Is thought to be the most expensive "survivor" car on the planet, worth over 4 million dollars at auction today.
SCR
1/17/2018 7:37pm
SCR wrote:
Ekins did the famous motorcycle jump over the fence in The Great Escape, but I don't think he ever did any car stuff? I'll find out...
Ekins did the famous motorcycle jump over the fence in The Great Escape, but I don't think he ever did any car stuff? I'll find out, my dad knew Bud back in the day and also worked in the film industry so he may know.

To the guy saying McQueen was a less than flattering person in real life - he was a street kid but as he got famous and made money he did a lot of charitable work with orphanages as that was a part of his childhood as well. His drinking, drugs and women, I mean come on a lot of that was a sign of the times
If you read the link above my post from Norcal 50, it talks about Ekins doing some of the driving but I guess it didn't make the cut. I read the link after I posted. Ive read all kinds of books about McQueen and in one it talks about his friendship and racing with Ekins and the driving and the work they did on the Bullitt cars.

motogrady
1/17/2018 7:57pm
SCR wrote:
Ekins did the famous motorcycle jump over the fence in The Great Escape, but I don't think he ever did any car stuff? I'll find out...

SCR wrote:
If you read the link above my post from Norcal 50, it talks about Ekins doing some of the driving but I guess it didn't make...
If you read the link above my post from Norcal 50, it talks about Ekins doing some of the driving but I guess it didn't make the cut. I read the link after I posted. Ive read all kinds of books about McQueen and in one it talks about his friendship and racing with Ekins and the driving and the work they did on the Bullitt cars.

Yeah, I read the same thing.
Elkins did some of the more dangerous driving, to where McQueen supposedly said, "he stole my show in The Great Escape, and now he's doing it again!".

Apparently, Elkins had a pretty big motorcycle shop in SoCal, and for a few years, if you wanted to get ahold
of MCQueen, you had to leave your number and what you wanted, at the shop.

If he wanted to talk to you, he'd call from a phone booth down the road a few days later.
SCR
1/17/2018 9:20pm

SCR wrote:
If you read the link above my post from Norcal 50, it talks about Ekins doing some of the driving but I guess it didn't make...

motogrady wrote:
Yeah, I read the same thing. Elkins did some of the more dangerous driving, to where McQueen supposedly said, "he stole my show in The Great...

Yeah, I read the same thing.
Elkins did some of the more dangerous driving, to where McQueen supposedly said, "he stole my show in The Great Escape, and now he's doing it again!".

Apparently, Elkins had a pretty big motorcycle shop in SoCal, and for a few years, if you wanted to get ahold
of MCQueen, you had to leave your number and what you wanted, at the shop.

If he wanted to talk to you, he'd call from a phone booth down the road a few days later.
I read somewhere that Mcqueen went back after filming or something and did the same jump Ekins did over the fence in Great Escape just to show he could do it. Don't know if that's true or not.
But Ekins did have a shop in the San Fernando Valley I think over the hill from Hollywood. Mcqeen hung out there and did desert races with Ekins and his brother. They did the ISDT on Triumphs. He sold bikes to a lot of actors and stuntmen.
SCR
1/17/2018 9:57pm
SCR wrote:

Was your Dad in the Viewfinders motorcycle Club? . Hollywood film guys started it I believe. They were all over SoCal deserts and MX tracks in the 60s and 70s.
Foghorn
1/18/2018 7:14am
SCR wrote:
I read somewhere that Mcqueen went back after filming or something and did the same jump Ekins did over the fence in Great Escape just to...
I read somewhere that Mcqueen went back after filming or something and did the same jump Ekins did over the fence in Great Escape just to show he could do it. Don't know if that's true or not.
But Ekins did have a shop in the San Fernando Valley I think over the hill from Hollywood. Mcqeen hung out there and did desert races with Ekins and his brother. They did the ISDT on Triumphs. He sold bikes to a lot of actors and stuntmen.
You can buy your own Steve McQueen Desert Racer as well if you have a lot of bucks burning a hole in your pocket. http://www.metisse-motorcycles.com/motorcycle/steve-mcqueen-desert-race…
Foghorn
1/18/2018 7:38am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
He drove 10%, according to this: Driver was named Marc Myers https://jalopnik.com/5744523/the-real-story-of-the-chase-scene-in-bullitt Ford just issued a Bullitt reissue car. Apparently they scored the original car, that...

mauidex
1/18/2018 7:55am
a bullitt clone mustang went for about 70k at barrett jackson yesterday!!!
NorCal 50+
1/19/2018 9:53am
SCR wrote:

Don't get me wrong- I have always idolized the guy and he is an iconic actor. I read one profile that said he was really bad with women, but it was some kind of weird hit piece. I won't post it here.
G-man
1/19/2018 10:36am
McQueen is and always will be a certified Bad ass!
G-man
1/19/2018 10:40am
Next to DeCoster I would have to say he is one of my all-time Hero's l looked up to.

The Good Die Young is no truer of a saying when it comes to McQueen

motogrady
1/19/2018 11:22am

I used to have a duct shop back in Baltimore, and there was an old guy Next door to me that fixed TVs.
Louie was a character, fiercely independant, small, but funny as hell.

Told me this story, when he worked for a guy in California back in the 70s.
Boss gave him a call, he heads out in his old van, up this long winding road to the top of a kinda mountain.
Said it scared the heck out of him, the van almost didn't make it.

Top of the development, a really beautiful woman answers, takes him back into the living room, where there are 2 guys watching the tube. The one guy says it just doesn't seem to be working as good as it should, could he fix it.
Louie said he took the back off, tapped on some tubes, blew some air around, turned a few dials back and forth,
And said that's it, should be good now.
Said he was still pissed about the hill and the van, and just wanted to get out of there.

As the guy is paying him, he thought he looked kind of famileier, told him his name, Louie, and if he had anymore
problems to make sure and tell his boss not to send him.

A week later, another ticket comes in, same address, with a request for him.
Barely makes it up the hill, is fuming when the guy lets him in, goes right to the TV and pulls the same act.
As the guy is paying him again, Louie tells him, didn't I tell you not to ask for me?

The guy laughs, says his name is Steve McQueen and this is my wife Ali.
And he really just wanted to see Louie's smoke again, and that he should have been a actor, would have been a natural.

AK74
1/21/2018 1:42pm
Carey Loftin was the stunt coordinator for the chase scenes in Bullitt. He later went on to be the mysterious truck driver - whose face is never shown - in Duel (Spielberg's debut movie).

IIRC, James Garner drove a VW Beetle during the Bullitt chase. He was visiting McQueen on-set, and got drafted in to help.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
1/21/2018 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2018 5:59pm
We've gone to the "Friends of Steve McQueen" car show a couple times. They have some cool stuff if you're into that sort of thing. It's in June this year https://stevemcqueencarshow.com/event-specifics/

Bullitt clones all in a row

and the original, Or not I guess ?

Plus some cool bikes, Porsche's etc

Post a reply to: "Bullitt" chase scene 1968

The Latest