Bryce Harper......

borg
....will get about $50,000.00 every time he steps up to the plate for the next 13 years. It amazes me that so many people are still willing to pay the price to see a MLB game but hey, suit yourself. Maybe I'm out of touch.

|
G-man
2/28/2019 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 4:02am
The salaries these guys are getting paid our way out of control every time I see these outrageous contracts I think this is got to be it!

Only to be increased by the next guy there has to be a way for it to stop who's going to be able to afford to go to a ball game when these players are making this ridiculous amount of money?
APLMAN99
2/28/2019 7:38pm
I'm surprised that the teams haven't realized that the players aren't going to perform for 12-13 years like they do for a couple of seasons. Mike Trout will break the bank for someone soon, but for most of the guys getting these megabuck deals, they are going to end up with an Albert Pujols/Miguel Cabrera type of situation where you are paying a guy about 3X his production (and promotion) value.
yzken250x
2/28/2019 10:02pm
They are saying Trout will get $500 million in 2020
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
3/1/2019 1:40am
These contracts are out of control.. As a Dodger fan, I’m glad Harper did not sign with our division rival San Francisco who reportedly offered him a 12 year 310M contract, because now we have to deal with Machado down south, and the combination of the two in our division would have been dicks. Fuck that!

YzKen250X- I haven’t heard about trouts 2020 contract projections, but the way this shit has been going it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Trout will get paid. Period.

The Shop

borg
3/1/2019 6:03am
MXant15 wrote:
These contracts are out of control.. As a Dodger fan, I’m glad Harper did not sign with our division rival San Francisco who reportedly offered him...
These contracts are out of control.. As a Dodger fan, I’m glad Harper did not sign with our division rival San Francisco who reportedly offered him a 12 year 310M contract, because now we have to deal with Machado down south, and the combination of the two in our division would have been dicks. Fuck that!

YzKen250X- I haven’t heard about trouts 2020 contract projections, but the way this shit has been going it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. Trout will get paid. Period.
The Dodgers are the only team in Ca that can afford him. Thanks to the idiot at Time Warner who inked the TV deal. 8.35 billion over 25 years comes to about 330 million per season. I am now paying the price for this boondoggle as Spectrum,who acquired Time Warner, keeps raising prices and cutting service. Losing the Dodgers is weighing on my decision to cut the cord, but I will do it anyway. I'm not sure that the Dodgers are the main reason, but according to Wikipedia, TW was losing about 100 million per year on the contract. I don't know how Spectrum is doing with it.

It's all crazy shit. Over my head. Where does all this fucking money come from? $12 beer?
Huevos450R
Fantasy
3313th
3/1/2019 6:06am
As a Braves fan, I am happy they tied up so much money with Harper. Also, both parties have no opt-outs, so they`ll sink or swim with Harper.

Flatliner
3/1/2019 11:53am
Seems like an odd deal. He wanted to be the highest paid guy and he’s not, per year.

BMSOBx2
3/1/2019 1:28pm
13 year contract? That'll make him almost 40 years old by the time it's up. That's an awful long time to tie yourself to one wagon. Don't see how that's going to pay off in the long run. Got to be prorated somehow.
3/1/2019 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 1:35pm
Is this guaranteed money ? I can’t see me trying to better myself if I signed a professional contract for that kinda money. I’d just make sure I never got hurt and play just enough to get by.

Most baseball stadiums are just as empty as supercross races. That cost sharing thing must help. You just wonder what kinda total revenue intake baseball creates every year. From the stadiums. To gambling. Crazy.
3/1/2019 2:19pm
These contracts are NOT out of control.

They might be getting underpaid in fact. I’ll never understand the common man siding with billionaires who got rich from exploiting labor. We should be rooting for the employees in this case, not being jealous of them.

And as to why the players get a 10 yr contract when we all know they wont deliver in years 6 thru 10? It’s because that player was severely underpaid in years 1-5 while on their rookie deals (if you don’t believe it, just look at Kyler Murray who chose football of all sports because it pays more at the rookie level than baseball currently). It all levels out in the end.

The real question we should be asking ourselves is why the sport as a whole generates so much revenue. Not complaining that the players get a fraction of those profits.

The reality is, look at the Yankees. They collect $7/mo from 14 million subscribers for their TV network. That’s $98mm a month. Fuck. At least the player has to step up to the plate and deliver. What did Hank Steinbreiner ever accomplish other than win the sperm lottery?

$98mm/mo is a lot of dough. Someone should get paid it. Especially the actual labor force. That is unless you’re one of those non existent employees that thinks your own employer overpays you.

Complaining about it but then watching the Workd Series makes no sense.
3/1/2019 2:24pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
13 year contract? That'll make him almost 40 years old by the time it's up. That's an awful long time to tie yourself to one wagon...
13 year contract? That'll make him almost 40 years old by the time it's up. That's an awful long time to tie yourself to one wagon. Don't see how that's going to pay off in the long run. Got to be prorated somehow.
A-Rod was on radio the other day breaking it down. He’s surprisingly intelligent.

After listening to him, not only did the economics make sense, all of a sudden you realized that baseball teams could afford to pay a star $50mm a year and it still pencils out.

Salaries have not kept up proportionately with inflation or growth in overall revenue the sport generates.
3/1/2019 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 2:30pm
Is this guaranteed money ? I can’t see me trying to better myself if I signed a professional contract for that kinda money. I’d just make...
Is this guaranteed money ? I can’t see me trying to better myself if I signed a professional contract for that kinda money. I’d just make sure I never got hurt and play just enough to get by.

Most baseball stadiums are just as empty as supercross races. That cost sharing thing must help. You just wonder what kinda total revenue intake baseball creates every year. From the stadiums. To gambling. Crazy.
Colin Cowherd claims that those in the know have told him that baseball is VERY good at hiding revenue and thus even more profitable than at first glance. Largely due to 162 game season where the stadiums are still mostly a cash business. There’s apparently a LOT of skimming going on.

What I’ve always found so interesting is how on one end you got rich people skimming to hide cash from taxes and concurrently you have other rich people (cartels) who work very hard to launder their money. Kinda funy dichotomy.
Flatliner
3/1/2019 3:11pm
Also weird that he turned down a 4 year 180 million dollar deal from the dodgers.

Guaranteed 300mil vs betting on yourself.
3/1/2019 3:20pm
Flatliner wrote:
Also weird that he turned down a 4 year 180 million dollar deal from the dodgers.

Any deal in California isn’t as lucrative as it appears.

Why? Taxes & cost of living.

Harper’s money goes a LOT further in Philly than any major California city.
TXDirt
3/1/2019 3:25pm
Flatliner wrote:

Take the guaranteed money. Once he signs his name that money is his. If he went with the four year deal anything can happen. He will be four years older. Maybe he drops off a cliff. Maybe he gets hurt. Etc. just take the guaranteed money. That’s 25 million a year for 13 years. Insane to turn that down.
SEEMEFIRST
3/2/2019 10:33pm
No cap. Skies the limit.

Pay them what you will, but once beers hit $6.00 a 12 oz. , I'm watching from home.
Shawn142
3/3/2019 8:58pm
As Kyler Murray said in the last few days when asked about this, there are several NFL QBs who make more per year than the Harper deal. In the NBA any max contract pays nearly 10 million more a year. The difference is the years, that's what makes the MLB silly.

Post a reply to: Bryce Harper......

The Latest