Front bumper question for Newmann

Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 5:30pm
Hit a deer Thursday morning headed to work at around 35-40mph.

This is the second time I’ve hit a deer in 125k miles, didn’t get so lucky this time.

Thought about getting a “brush guard” style ranch hand grill guard but everyone keeps telling me they do more harm than good in collisions. I find that hard to believe in most circumstances with everything on the front end of my truck being made of plastic.

Should I just get a full on plate steel bumper instead?

Thanks in advance!
|
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
4/11/2020 3:57am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Hit a deer Thursday morning headed to work at around 35-40mph. This is the second time I’ve hit a deer in 125k miles, didn’t get so...
Hit a deer Thursday morning headed to work at around 35-40mph.

This is the second time I’ve hit a deer in 125k miles, didn’t get so lucky this time.

Thought about getting a “brush guard” style ranch hand grill guard but everyone keeps telling me they do more harm than good in collisions. I find that hard to believe in most circumstances with everything on the front end of my truck being made of plastic.

Should I just get a full on plate steel bumper instead?

Thanks in advance!
The cow catcher option is a bad idea. We have fixed them after a dear hit. Most are cheap and push in the hood and cause more damage. If anything maybe the full steel style bumper is a good option. Not Newmann, but I do huff paint for a living also.
newmann
4/11/2020 4:40am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
That looks like it’ll cost some doe.
Already cost him a couple of bucks...Laughing

The Shop

newmann
4/11/2020 4:56am
I second what Skidlid wrote about the add on bumper guards being flimsy in the way that they mount. They just roll back taking out the hood, grill, bumper and with them, often both headlamps with the way lamps are mounted these days.

The problem with a full bumper replacement is that the better looking ones require you to cut up a good factory bumper.

Versus this

What full bumpers are you considering?
4/11/2020 8:06am
newmann wrote:
I second what Skidlid wrote about the add on bumper guards being flimsy in the way that they mount. They just roll back taking out the...
I second what Skidlid wrote about the add on bumper guards being flimsy in the way that they mount. They just roll back taking out the hood, grill, bumper and with them, often both headlamps with the way lamps are mounted these days.

The problem with a full bumper replacement is that the better looking ones require you to cut up a good factory bumper.

Versus this

What full bumpers are you considering?
Thanks for the replies!

Been looking at this one from c4 fab or their overland model which looks similar to the one pictured above. I got a few things patched back together in my driveway.

I think the bumper cover is salvageable enough to be cut and reused with a bumper like pictured above.

Kinda to tear everything apart without having everything to repair on hand, is there a good parts diagram website that shows all of the plastic clips in an exploded view?
newmann
4/11/2020 9:06am
That's about as detailed a pic as you are going to find.

Are those halogen headlamps or LED's? I got the 2019 OEM led headlamps for my 17 Tundra from The Retrofit Source with all the correct harnesses to plug them up. Major upgrade for driving at night.
SEE ARE125
4/11/2020 9:35am
newmann wrote:
That's about as detailed a pic as you are going to find. Are those halogen headlamps or LED's? I got the 2019 OEM led headlamps for...

Are those halogen headlamps or LED's? I got the 2019 OEM led headlamps for my 17 Tundra from The Retrofit Source with all the correct harnesses to plug them up. Major upgrade for driving at night.
Thanks for that tip, I like those new headlights. I was looking for an LED upgrade for my ‘14, but past experience has taught me most aftermarket stuff is junk.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/11/2020 11:45am
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Thanks for the replies! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/418988/s1200_40366693_34A5_4E7E_B335_1AE5464AF989.jpg[/img] Been looking at this one from c4 fab or their overland model which looks similar to the one pictured above. I...
Thanks for the replies!

Been looking at this one from c4 fab or their overland model which looks similar to the one pictured above. I got a few things patched back together in my driveway.

I think the bumper cover is salvageable enough to be cut and reused with a bumper like pictured above.

Kinda to tear everything apart without having everything to repair on hand, is there a good parts diagram website that shows all of the plastic clips in an exploded view?
That bumper will survive a deer strike, but what about your headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors? Antlers running down the side? Getting caught up in the drivetrain?
The best thing you can do is slow down and look for sparkling eyes out in the woods.
JAFO92
4/11/2020 2:04pm
newmann wrote:
That's about as detailed a pic as you are going to find. Are those halogen headlamps or LED's? I got the 2019 OEM led headlamps for...

So you are one of those pricks that has the retina burning, surface of the sun brightness headlights array that makes me see spots for 3 hours when driving at night?

Wink
just James
4/11/2020 2:41pm
newmann wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:
So you are one of those pricks that has the retina burning, surface of the sun brightness headlights array that makes me see spots for 3...
So you are one of those pricks that has the retina burning, surface of the sun brightness headlights array that makes me see spots for 3 hours when driving at night?

Wink
Only if he is one of those jerks who refuses to dim them when meeting other vehicles.

What we need is a "breed and release" program for cougars. They specialize in management of deer populations. And, cougars are generally smart enough to stay off of the road. 😉
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
4/11/2020 3:12pm
As a collision center owner I am all for large deer population as long as my cars don’t hit them. We have had a busy year with deer till now. One of our busiest months for deer hits is coming in May but if nobody is working there is no driving. Which means no deer will die.
newmann
4/11/2020 4:14pm
newmann wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:
So you are one of those pricks that has the retina burning, surface of the sun brightness headlights array that makes me see spots for 3...

Wink
LOL. Typically, those were the people who put xenon conversion bulbs in a standard halogen housing. Holy shit lights because for as bright as they were coming at you you really couldn’t see any better from behind the wheel. Never was a fan of those pos’s.

Once you get yourself a good set of headlamps, your old f’n eyes will never be satisfied with anything else.😁
newmann
4/11/2020 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 4:18pm
SKIDLID wrote:
As a collision center owner I am all for large deer population as long as my cars don’t hit them. We have had a busy year...
As a collision center owner I am all for large deer population as long as my cars don’t hit them. We have had a busy year with deer till now. One of our busiest months for deer hits is coming in May but if nobody is working there is no driving. Which means no deer will die.
I had a lady hit a deer. Fixed the front end and a month later a deer hit her. Fixed the side. I fail to see the problem...😂

Hopefully the deer will help restore your business back to some sort of normal here soon.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
4/11/2020 4:41pm
We have some come back the same day they leave us. Hopefully driving picks up. We have a full schedule this week yet but after that we may be slow.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/11/2020 5:13pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Thanks for the replies! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/11/418988/s1200_40366693_34A5_4E7E_B335_1AE5464AF989.jpg[/img] Been looking at this one from c4 fab or their overland model which looks similar to the one pictured above. I...
Thanks for the replies!

colintrax wrote:
That bumper will survive a deer strike, but what about your headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors? Antlers running down the side? Getting caught up in the drivetrain...
That bumper will survive a deer strike, but what about your headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors? Antlers running down the side? Getting caught up in the drivetrain?
The best thing you can do is slow down and look for sparkling eyes out in the woods.
So drive slow and look into the woods for some eyes you say? Lol usually the second you see a deer is when you hit it.
newmann
4/11/2020 5:30pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

colintrax wrote:
That bumper will survive a deer strike, but what about your headlights, hood, fenders, mirrors? Antlers running down the side? Getting caught up in the drivetrain...
imoto34 wrote:
So drive slow and look into the woods for some eyes you say? Lol usually the second you see a deer is when you hit it.
Or jumps over the fucking hood of your F250 at 70mph and by some stroke of luck you miss it. Holy shit moment there.😂

Post a reply to: Front bumper question for Newmann

The Latest