Bowling For Columbine

Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2015 7:23pm
Watched this documentary about the columbine shooting and gun laws in America
My question - is America actually that scary?
(My profile says in from USA but I'm actually from AUS. Don't know how to change it)
|
borg
8/11/2015 6:35pm
BTW, it's Bowling For Columbine.
If I were fat, slow and rich like Michael Moore, I would be scared too. He's the one Cecil would have taken down first.
JoJmoto
8/11/2015 6:56pm
Michael Moore is a piece of shit. Does well at what he does but a real liberal POS. IMHO. I watch his films and hate him more with each one..
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/11/2015 6:56pm
borg wrote:
BTW, it's Bowling For Columbine. If I were fat, slow and rich like Michael Moore, I would be scared too. He's the one Cecil would have...
BTW, it's Bowling For Columbine.
If I were fat, slow and rich like Michael Moore, I would be scared too. He's the one Cecil would have taken down first.
Oh well I'm sorry

The Shop

Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/11/2015 6:59pm
But shit like that never happens in AUS. If you go to school you don't worry about a six year old bringing a gun to school and shooting another kid
lestat
8/11/2015 7:03pm
its actually much worse now than when that movie came out . mass shootings are happening more and more frequency . americans seem to have accepted this as normal . to quote the governor of louisanna after the latest shooting .... "all we can do is pray" .
newmann
8/11/2015 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2015 7:18pm
There are a lot of criminals running around unchecked here in the US. Can't be mean to them either. It's the liberal way. Seems like a weekly occurrence since Obama took the helm. Nearing 19 trillion in debt, it is only going to get worse. Rioters are given free reign to do as they please and attack police without fear of repercussion. Crazy shit and hard to believe.

By the way, is it really that scary going out for chocolate there in Australia? Getting taken hostage by ISIS for a reeses cup, is it worth it?

A friend of mine from down under, had a young family member stabbed to death over a girlfriend. I can't imagine not being able to have a girlfriend without having to live in fear of being stabbed to death. Is it really that bad down there?

Michael Moore...LaughingSickSillySidewaysWhistling
borg
8/11/2015 8:10pm
Fresh wrote:
But shit like that never happens in AUS. If you go to school you don't worry about a six year old bringing a gun to school...
But shit like that never happens in AUS. If you go to school you don't worry about a six year old bringing a gun to school and shooting another kid
Bask in your freedom. You have it made. BTW, how many people are killed every year with the combination of Fosters and cars? I'm going to bet it's significantly more that our 6 year olds being shot at school.
G'day mate!
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/11/2015 8:12pm
newmann wrote:
There are a lot of criminals running around unchecked here in the US. Can't be mean to them either. It's the liberal way. Seems like a...
There are a lot of criminals running around unchecked here in the US. Can't be mean to them either. It's the liberal way. Seems like a weekly occurrence since Obama took the helm. Nearing 19 trillion in debt, it is only going to get worse. Rioters are given free reign to do as they please and attack police without fear of repercussion. Crazy shit and hard to believe.

By the way, is it really that scary going out for chocolate there in Australia? Getting taken hostage by ISIS for a reeses cup, is it worth it?

A friend of mine from down under, had a young family member stabbed to death over a girlfriend. I can't imagine not being able to have a girlfriend without having to live in fear of being stabbed to death. Is it really that bad down there?

I see the sarcasm there Laughing

That's the Eastern states, they have a history of gangland shootings, mass murders etc (that's where the convicts landed :whistleSmile
In sunny WA it's all holes in the ground (mining capital of Australia/world)
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/11/2015 8:15pm
Fresh wrote:
But shit like that never happens in AUS. If you go to school you don't worry about a six year old bringing a gun to school...
borg wrote:
Bask in your freedom. You have it made. BTW, how many people are killed every year with the combination of Fosters and cars? I'm going to...
Bask in your freedom. You have it made. BTW, how many people are killed every year with the combination of Fosters and cars? I'm going to bet it's significantly more that our 6 year olds being shot at school.
G'day mate!
Drunk teenagers dying in car accidents, to me, is a little less fucked up than a six year old killing someone. IMHO

And it's called Emu Export, not fosters, get with the time
TXDirt
8/11/2015 8:23pm
You may also be interested to know that 9/11 was an side job by Bush.

/sarc
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
8/11/2015 8:27pm
More or less deaths, I doubt it, more or less shark attacks? no. More or less lightning strikes? Probably not. Social media makes it seem so because we see all of it now and not just local and major events. And now the news only focus is the negative and worst of it all. This pc crap is insanity as well. So don't believe the hype Fresh. Come visit any time.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/11/2015 8:29pm
TXDirt wrote:
You may also be interested to know that 9/11 was an side job by Bush.

/sarc
I've heard that a lot Cool
Barrett57
8/12/2015 1:46am
Every time I've been to the USA I've never felt like I was going to get shot anymore than in London, Birmingham or Coventry.

Also the people are really nice on the whole, nicer than the Canadians I thought. (and I lived in Canada for a year)

JoJmoto
8/12/2015 3:43am
newmann wrote:
There are a lot of criminals running around unchecked here in the US. Can't be mean to them either. It's the liberal way. Seems like a...

A lot of truth in that statement.

These bigger Urban Cities are getting worse week by week. The control is being allowed to go away. When you have these thugs get into criminal altercations with cops and they end up dying, and the Obama Administration sends someone to console the thugs family, you know we are going in the wrong direction!

IWreckALot
8/12/2015 5:49am
Here are some population statistics to compare America to Australia.

Sydney has the highest population of people in Australia at 4,394,576 and there are 4,689 square miles in Australia. That works out to 937 people per square mile (PSM). Melbourne is 967 PSM, and Perth at 583 PSM.

The most densely populated cities in the US are Atlanta (2,654 PSM), Chicago (2,443 PSM) Boston (1,873 PSM) and Philly (1,981 PSM).

I think if you were to multiply the Australian population to equal some of America's most densely populated cities, I'd imagine you'd see a lot of what we're seeing. Maybe even worse. I personally believe we have had some of the best infrastructure but there is a bit of chaos being allowed to run free. It's just unacceptable to console the criminals and shun the guys hired to defend. . . even if a bad decision was made. Handle it a little less publicly if it has to be handled. . . No need to get the media involved.

Not saying that our problems are population specifically, we just have more people and that raises the propensity for shit to go wrong. I'd be curious to see what population statistics are in Europe, GBP and other countries just for comparison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendell-cox/americas-densest-cities_b_588…

http://www.populationlabs.com/Australia_Population.asp
J.F.S
8/12/2015 8:10am
JoJmoto wrote:
Michael Moore is a piece of shit. Does well at what he does but a real liberal POS. IMHO. I watch his films and hate him...
Michael Moore is a piece of shit. Does well at what he does but a real liberal POS. IMHO. I watch his films and hate him more with each one..
Don't kill the messenger
peelout
8/12/2015 8:58am
my opinion on the matter.... Michael Moore is a dumb fuck that doesn't deserve the views on his shockumentaries.

also, no, USA isn't that scary.

also also, if not for the media glorifying these fucking shit heads we wouldn't have some asshole trying to out shit-head the previous shit heads and going on shooting sprees. but the media loves to make these fuck-sticks into martyr's and glorify their insanely disgusting acts of violence in order to push an anti-gun agenda to the masses.

why the hell do we need countless documentaries on serial killers, mass-shooters, murderers, etc? what does that add to society besides giving other dumb fucks an idea?

anyway, i'm cranky this morning and i burned my tongue on my coffee. Fuck Michael Moore

J.F.S
8/12/2015 11:55am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2015 11:55am
peelout wrote:
my opinion on the matter.... Michael Moore is a dumb fuck that doesn't deserve the views on his shockumentaries. also, no, USA isn't that scary. also...
my opinion on the matter.... Michael Moore is a dumb fuck that doesn't deserve the views on his shockumentaries.

also also, if not for the media glorifying these fucking shit heads we wouldn't have some asshole trying to out shit-head the previous shit heads and going on shooting sprees. but the media loves to make these fuck-sticks into martyr's and glorify their insanely disgusting acts of violence in order to push an anti-gun agenda to the masses.

why the hell do we need countless documentaries on serial killers, mass-shooters, murderers, etc? what does that add to society besides giving other dumb fucks an idea?

anyway, i'm cranky this morning and i burned my tongue on my coffee. Fuck Michael Moore

So you are not one of them who thinks that just because one is rich, one is smarter and better than everyone else and entitled?
Titan1
8/12/2015 12:41pm
Fresh wrote:
Watched this documentary about the columbine shooting and gun laws in America My question - is America actually that scary? (My profile says in from USA...
Watched this documentary about the columbine shooting and gun laws in America
My question - is America actually that scary?
(My profile says in from USA but I'm actually from AUS. Don't know how to change it)
I am not even remotely scared to send my kids to school, or go to the mall, or to a movie theater (I have a CCW permit, but never carry a gun, because I'm not scared). Michael Moore has an agenda, that movie pushed it...It's not even remotely credible.

But, freedom is scary sometimes, and risky. If you allow society to be free...free to own guns, free to take (or not take) whatever meds/drugs they want, free to say and print whatever they want...with 300+Million people, there are bound to be a few loose cannons that go off, for whatever reason.

Does our freedom (maybe not more or less freedom than some other countries, but just different freedoms) make America a riskier place to live? Sure it does. But I would say that those that aren't comfortable assuming those risks would be happier to just move to a country, with less (different) freedom, so they'll be more comfortable, rather than trying to change America to suit their fears.
peelout
8/12/2015 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2015 1:07pm
peelout wrote:
my opinion on the matter.... Michael Moore is a dumb fuck that doesn't deserve the views on his shockumentaries. also, no, USA isn't that scary. also...

J.F.S wrote:
So you are not one of them who thinks that just because one is rich, one is smarter and better than everyone else and entitled?
lol no, i'm poor because i spend all my money on badass riding trips but i consider myself smart. i just have a serious distaste for that fat fuck Moore and the American media portraying monsters as martyrs.

like that dipshit that killed a family of 6, don't even give that piece of shit the time of day by ever releasing his picture or name or history or all the other shit they feel like they need to tell about him. he did a horrible disgusting thing, he should be dead, not gracing the news with his photos.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
8/12/2015 1:09pm
newmann wrote:

Nice reply my awesome friend.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/12/2015 6:52pm
peelout wrote:

I understand the blame that's put on the media, but what about the gun laws? Yes guns don't kill people - people do. But take the gun away and what do they have? in Australia you can't have a firearm just because you want one. You need a purpose for it. You can't own a gun without having land to fire it on (varies depending on size etc). You need to keep in in a safe that is bolted to the ground. You can't have pistols. No fully automatic or semi-automatic firearms. And to actually get a gun is almost near impossible, let alone a licence to own it.
If you happen to be a gun enthusiast don't be affraid you can own a recreational rifle/pistol. But it must be kept at a gun club that holds appropriate licences and permits. Gun clubs have to have land for the firearms to be fired on and the guns need to be kept in safes that are bolted to the ground. How hard would it be to implement these laws in America?
(My family lives on a farm and we have a firearm that is fully licenced. But we hardly ever use it because there is no need).
h&m_cycle
8/12/2015 7:32pm
I didn't see the whole thing, he is annoying, I thought this part was kind of entertaining...

Because it's a bank that has the gun's... kind of a play on the whole bank robbery scenes in all the movies... open a CD get a gun...
It's legal, just kind of ironic...

https://youtu.be/cglnvXzitOQ
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
8/12/2015 8:02pm
peelout wrote:

Fresh wrote:
I understand the blame that's put on the media, but what about the gun laws? Yes guns don't kill people - people do. But take the...
I understand the blame that's put on the media, but what about the gun laws? Yes guns don't kill people - people do. But take the gun away and what do they have? in Australia you can't have a firearm just because you want one. You need a purpose for it. You can't own a gun without having land to fire it on (varies depending on size etc). You need to keep in in a safe that is bolted to the ground. You can't have pistols. No fully automatic or semi-automatic firearms. And to actually get a gun is almost near impossible, let alone a licence to own it.
If you happen to be a gun enthusiast don't be affraid you can own a recreational rifle/pistol. But it must be kept at a gun club that holds appropriate licences and permits. Gun clubs have to have land for the firearms to be fired on and the guns need to be kept in safes that are bolted to the ground. How hard would it be to implement these laws in America?
(My family lives on a farm and we have a firearm that is fully licenced. But we hardly ever use it because there is no need).
it would not be hard if a clear majority of American's wanted it, and by the comments on this board whenever the gun control argument comes up that is a long way off happening, until that point comes, nothing will happen,

our gun laws are similar to yours, its not hard to get a gun licence here, but you have to go though a police check, and prove you have somewhere safe to store it,

Also, since we have had gun control laws for a long time, before the mass manufacture and public sale of guns we do not have the problem with the number of guns in circulation that the USA does,

Aussie and NZ are similar to the US is someways, yet way off in other ways, and that's not a bad thing, if we were all the same, this board would be pretty boring, and sometimes its hard to understand other peoples thoughts when you have grown up with different "normal's"
JM485
8/12/2015 10:00pm
peelout wrote:

Shoot, when I was a senior in high school a few years back we had to watch two documentaries while the lower classes took their standardized tests. Amazingly, one we got to watch was his "documentary" on health care, and not surprisingly, my fellow class mates with a collective IQ slightly above that of a load of bricks just ate that crap up like a free buffet. But the teachers swore they didn't have any agenda. . .Whistling
8/13/2015 1:38am
Fresh wrote:
I understand the blame that's put on the media, but what about the gun laws? Yes guns don't kill people - people do. But take the...
I believe some of that is wrong. Unless you're shooting for management purposes only, you personally don't have to own land in order to own a gun, but if you're a recreational shooter in Australia then OK yes, you do have to be a member of a club; who will of course provide a space/land to shoot (sry if that's what you meant). You can have pistols. Off the top of my head (from previously watching the "ozzie reviews" guy on youtube) I believe they come under category B - which is fairly easy to obtain for any normal person who passes the background checks and wants to shoot. I haven't heard about recreational shooters having to keep their guns at a club either. Obviously If Iv'e got some or all of that ass about face, then I stand corrected.

Ignoring amendments and different cultures - if all countries were starting at a zero gun situation all over a again, and accepting that some law abiding people will always want to own guns for a variety of legitimate reasons - then imo a lot of the countries in Europe (Belgium) seem to have it about right. UK has it right in sorting out who can own a gun but is a bit retarded when it comes down to what they can actually own.

The problem, is that we're not starting over again and this (along with many other reasons) is why a comparison between the U.S and other countries is pretty much useless. That's not to say some things can't be fixed or improved but any fundamental change can never happen at this point because you simply can't stop that flow of guns from getting into the wrong hands. And if you reach that conclusion (as I have) then it makes little sense to then restrict the law abiding majority who mostly (gun safety education can help reduce some accidental shootings) aren't the problem anyway.

To the documentary; personally I find some of it interesting. At least it isn't anti gun for the sake of ideology. The bits with Trey Parker (I may be getting my South Park writers mixed up) and Marilyn Mason were interesting in trying to decipher the route cause behind why some of these kids flip out. I don't know much about Michael Moore personally and certainly don't agree with everything he says, but I think that's there's some good stuff to be found in his documentaries.

Post a reply to: Bowling For Columbine

The Latest