Bought a Class C in California, I live in Kansas...

Timo_2824
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2019 12:31pm
Got lucky and snagged a Bigfoot garage model that only had 15,000 miles on it! Flew out to Redding CA to pick it up and drive it home. Going to put around 1900 miles on it during the trip home, so any major issues should be pretty obvious.

|
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
5/11/2019 4:12am
very nice!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/11/2019 4:39am
Awsome , How do you estimate you saved ?
And how much is trip home , just curious, its totally something i would do, at 1 time i sold Chevrolet in California and at that Time (not sure if they still are?)
The new corvettes where $10'000 over the MSRP
And people where paying it , all they had to do was buy a plane ticket just about Anywhere out of California and saved $10 grand, i really never understood this, in my mind its fun to take a little trip and driving home in your brand new corvette sounds like fun to me, obviously if its far depending where you flew to you would have to get a motel
But still there us no way a plane ticket, gas, food, Motels.
Would have costed even half of Ten Grand.
plowboy
5/11/2019 11:22am
That's about exactly what I'm looking for. Keep us updated.
Timo_2824
5/11/2019 3:08pm
Didn't save anything lol, it's just the model I wanted and this one went up for sale. If I had found one closer I'd have jumped all over it. I had to put 4 new tires on this one before I left because they were 8 years old. The fronts we're only 3 years old so I'm running them, and the fuel bill driving back is going to be $700, so there's $1400 above the buying price. I did talk the seller down $8000 though!

The Shop

SCR
5/11/2019 3:30pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Awsome , How do you estimate you saved ? And how much is trip home , just curious, its totally something i would do, at 1...
And how much is trip home , just curious, its totally something i would do, at 1 time i sold Chevrolet in California and at that Time (not sure if they still are?)
And people where paying it , all they had to do was buy a plane ticket just about Anywhere out of California and saved $10 grand, i really never understood this, in my mind its fun to take a little trip and driving home in your brand new corvette sounds like fun to me, obviously if its far depending where you flew to you would have to get a motel
Reminds me of an adventure my Dad and uncle had in 1946 . My Dad was 16 and his older brother had just got back from service in the war. Cars were scarse on the west coast and people in CA would pay good money so my Uncle bought the car in the pic below and he and my Dad took a rode trip from Youngstown Ohio in the car below and sold it for a nice profit in Los Angeles.
His brother took the train back and offered my Dad a ticket but he decided to hitch hike back with the $1.26 or something he had in his pocket just to see if he could do it.
He was going to jump a train in Arizona before he saw some guys on a chain gang crew and some guy told him that's what will happen if they catch you. In Texas he said he went in a bar and got a beer and bowl of chili for 35 cents or something and could still remember how good it tasted 50 years later.
Lots of other really cool stories from that trip and other adventures my old man had that I heard over the years. Like hitch hiking to Indy to watch the 500 with his buddies when he was in high school. I have the Indy 500 programs he got in 46 and 47.
Anyway he passed 9 years ago and my Mom passed last year, and I was the Trustee for her Trust.
I had been going through stuff and looking for pictures my Dad said he had of the stock cars he built and raced in the early 50s. And I came across a couple stacks of pictures labeled California trip, and Indy 500 trip. He never told me he had these pictures. Still looking for the stock cars pictures.

plowboy
5/11/2019 3:38pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Awsome , How do you estimate you saved ? And how much is trip home , just curious, its totally something i would do, at 1...
SCR wrote:
Reminds me of an adventure my Dad and uncle had in 1946 . My Dad was 16 and his older brother had just got back from...
Reminds me of an adventure my Dad and uncle had in 1946 . My Dad was 16 and his older brother had just got back from service in the war. Cars were scarse on the west coast and people in CA would pay good money so my Uncle bought the car in the pic below and he and my Dad took a rode trip from Youngstown Ohio in the car below and sold it for a nice profit in Los Angeles.
His brother took the train back and offered my Dad a ticket but he decided to hitch hike back with the $1.26 or something he had in his pocket just to see if he could do it.
He was going to jump a train in Arizona before he saw some guys on a chain gang crew and some guy told him that's what will happen if they catch you. In Texas he said he went in a bar and got a beer and bowl of chili for 35 cents or something and could still remember how good it tasted 50 years later.
Lots of other really cool stories from that trip and other adventures my old man had that I heard over the years. Like hitch hiking to Indy to watch the 500 with his buddies when he was in high school. I have the Indy 500 programs he got in 46 and 47.
Anyway he passed 9 years ago and my Mom passed last year, and I was the Trustee for her Trust.
I had been going through stuff and looking for pictures my Dad said he had of the stock cars he built and raced in the early 50s. And I came across a couple stacks of pictures labeled California trip, and Indy 500 trip. He never told me he had these pictures. Still looking for the stock cars pictures.

Yer old man was a stud. That is all.
SCR
5/11/2019 4:24pm
Yeah he had some real adventures over the years.He didn't want to get stuck working in the steel Mills the rest of his life so he got on the road a lot. I think that was the case with a lot of young men back then.
He had a high school friend who's family had money to send him to a prestigious University ( not sure which one). He's sitting on the bank of a river watching his friend compete in a rowing competition. Some fancy cars pulls up and a chauffeur opens the door and out steps Grace Kelly. She walks over starts talking with my Dad, asks him if he wants a cold beer. The Chauffeur opens the trunk and she's got a tub of cold beer on ice. She was there to watch a friend that was also on the team. They hung out and drank beer for a bit.
Crazy shit.
plowboy
5/11/2019 5:33pm
SCR wrote:
Yeah he had some real adventures over the years.He didn't want to get stuck working in the steel Mills the rest of his life so he...
Yeah he had some real adventures over the years.He didn't want to get stuck working in the steel Mills the rest of his life so he got on the road a lot. I think that was the case with a lot of young men back then.
He had a high school friend who's family had money to send him to a prestigious University ( not sure which one). He's sitting on the bank of a river watching his friend compete in a rowing competition. Some fancy cars pulls up and a chauffeur opens the door and out steps Grace Kelly. She walks over starts talking with my Dad, asks him if he wants a cold beer. The Chauffeur opens the trunk and she's got a tub of cold beer on ice. She was there to watch a friend that was also on the team. They hung out and drank beer for a bit.
Crazy shit.
Cool stuff. That's a dad worth bragging about. A man's man.
5/11/2019 6:02pm
With all that driving you're doing you have a good opportunity to fill your black and gray tanks up about halfway and let him clean themselves out with all the shaking from the road
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
5/11/2019 7:06pm
Driving through the redwoods on the way home has to be worth something
Timo_2824
5/11/2019 7:13pm
With all that driving you're doing you have a good opportunity to fill your black and gray tanks up about halfway and let him clean themselves...
With all that driving you're doing you have a good opportunity to fill your black and gray tanks up about halfway and let him clean themselves out with all the shaking from the road
Exactly what I was thinking, the guy I bought the camper from let me fill my water tank up at his house! Drove the first day with both holding tanks at 1/2 full. I'm almost home now, got about 5 hours of driving left, but was getting drowsy so I stopped for the night. The US is huge, I think it should be a requirement that you have to drive across it just to appreciate the scale. This is what I've done so far:

Ebs
5/12/2019 9:25am
Nice!

I know the Bigfoot slide in pickup campers are pretty well regarded. I bet the RVs follow suit.
Timo_2824
5/12/2019 12:50pm
Made it home! Going to have to remove my barkbusters before loading, but the garage is pretty good sized with an onboard compressor!

Timo_2824
5/12/2019 1:02pm
Ebs wrote:
Nice!

I know the Bigfoot slide in pickup campers are pretty well regarded. I bet the RVs follow suit.
That's why I was looking for a Bigfoot, build quality and their fibercore system. Aluminum frame with foam injected into it and 1 1/2" spray foam on the walls, floor, and ceiling. The tanks and dump valves are heated, supposed to be good for -20°F. Full fiberglass roof, big shower/bathtub combo. This thing is pretty sweet!

captmoto
5/12/2019 7:28pm
A friend of mine has a Class A like that. It is awesome. That is the only type of motorhome I would even consider.
Sierra Ranger
5/14/2019 2:47pm
Tarz483 wrote:
SCR wrote:
Reminds me of an adventure my Dad and uncle had in 1946 . My Dad was 16 and his older brother had just got back from...

That was like a mini Jack Kerouac novel in one Vital post.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/14/2019 4:36pm
Does that garage lock? How many bikes do you think you can fit in there?
That's a cool solution.
SCR
5/14/2019 4:54pm
Tarz483 wrote:
SCR wrote:

That was like a mini Jack Kerouac novel in one Vital post.
Yeah I got a little carried away, then realized I hi jacked the thead a bit.
Timo_2824
5/14/2019 10:49pm
Falcon wrote:
That's a cool solution.
Yes the garage locks, I'm betting if I really wanted to I could get 3 bikes in there, but realistically 2. That will be pushing the weight limit, you gotta watch how much weight you load behind the rear axle on class C rv's. They tend to have a high rear weight bias unloaded, and it you get crazy they can pop wheelies on bridge transitions or dips.

When my son starts riding a full sized bike I'll either move to a trailer or a big class A with a 12ft garage.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
5/15/2019 3:30am
I am really liking that model. Really cool trip too. Congratulations on all the good times and memories ahead.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/15/2019 12:03pm
Falcon wrote:
That's a cool solution.
Timo_2824 wrote:
Yes the garage locks, I'm betting if I really wanted to I could get 3 bikes in there, but realistically 2. That will be pushing the...
Yes the garage locks, I'm betting if I really wanted to I could get 3 bikes in there, but realistically 2. That will be pushing the weight limit, you gotta watch how much weight you load behind the rear axle on class C rv's. They tend to have a high rear weight bias unloaded, and it you get crazy they can pop wheelies on bridge transitions or dips.

When my son starts riding a full sized bike I'll either move to a trailer or a big class A with a 12ft garage.
I like the big Super "C"s by Four Winds, but hell I'll never have that much money.

Timo_2824
5/15/2019 9:44pm
Falcon wrote:
I like the big Super "C"s by Four Winds, but hell I'll never have that much money. [img]https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/RV-MODS-fOUR-wINDS-sUPER-C-FUN-MOVER-5.jpg[/img]
I like the big Super "C"s by Four Winds, but hell I'll never have that much money.

The Thor outlaw class A looks pretty badass as well, but they are definitely out of my price range.

ohiomotoxer
5/16/2019 6:53am
Falcon wrote:
That's a cool solution.
Timo_2824 wrote:
Yes the garage locks, I'm betting if I really wanted to I could get 3 bikes in there, but realistically 2. That will be pushing the...

Falcon wrote:
I like the big Super "C"s by Four Winds, but hell I'll never have that much money. [img]https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/RV-MODS-fOUR-wINDS-sUPER-C-FUN-MOVER-5.jpg[/img]

We had that exact model when I worked at HMF Racing. Used it for race support at GNCC. Total POS stay farrrr away
G-man
5/17/2019 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/17/2019 12:31pm
Timo_2824 wrote:

Falcon wrote:

We had that exact model when I worked at HMF Racing. Used it for race support at GNCC. Total POS stay farrrr away
Looks like a great score I've always liked the class C's too.

Year?
MPG
How much was it, how did you find it congratulations.

Ohiomotoexer,
Which one are you talking about?
Not the one from the OP right?
Timo_2824
5/18/2019 7:49pm
G-man wrote:
Looks like a great score I've always liked the class C's too. Year? MPG How much was it, how did you find it congratulations. Ohiomotoexer, Which...
Looks like a great score I've always liked the class C's too.

Year?
MPG
How much was it, how did you find it congratulations.

Ohiomotoexer,
Which one are you talking about?
Not the one from the OP right?
2005 with 15,400 miles on it when I bought it, it's now at 17,300 with the drive back. I paid more than I was wanting to, but it is basically brand new inside and really good outside. If you do a search on Bigfoot rv's, you'll find that they command a high price. If you find one in the $20,000-$25,000 range they're gone in a couple of days. I paid $30,000 for this one. The owner held it for 2 weeks while I got everything setup to fly out there. He even drove 20 minutes from his house to pick me up and take me back to look at it. No idea on fuel mileage, I don't figure it because it's not going to be good. Probably somewhere around 8-9 mpg, same as my last RV that had a carbureted 460 BB. Power feels about the same with the 5 speed torque shift transmission being a huge step up from the 3 speed C6.

Post a reply to: Bought a Class C in California, I live in Kansas...

The Latest