Boeing 787 first flight...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2009 9:57 AM

Only 2 years late, coming up in a few minutes on CNN or...

http://www.komonews.com/live

|

12/15/2009 10:11 AM

on the roll right now, should take off in a few minutes.

|

12/15/2009 10:30 AM

They forgot to raise the landing gear!

|

"Blind faith in a god is a poor substitute for logic and reason."

12/15/2009 10:31 AM

That's a nice looking aircraft. Were those P-80's trailing it?

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

12/15/2009 10:31 AM

It's so fuel efficient you just leave the gear down..

|

12/15/2009 10:32 AM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

It looked like it..

|

12/15/2009 12:17 PM

1st flight...nice.

Late? Yup...more than a few problems...especially on the "Fastening" and "Bonding" fronts.

The good news? Someone finally designed a plane out of something other than Aluminum. It's about time. Now, if they can jus' get their heads out of the 60s and build a complete composite structure...they'll be on to something.

'Til then...we've got a materials hybrid that's supposed to be lighter, stronger and cheaper to fly. Kinda like a pseudo 767 updated with newer tech.

Funnything...this bird smacks the Air Bus 300 right up-side the head and should be A LOT cheaper to fly...this bird should sell like crazy in China/Asia. I hope it does. The 300 was a serious slap to the 767 market...so...turn-about with some serious tech is better than fair-play...it's a war that Boeing should win.

Now, if people like Lockheed-Martin could pull their heads out and make this more than a -2- horse race...that would be nice.

Next-up: Who's really gonna win the "KC" battle at the Pentagon?

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

12/15/2009 12:43 PM

Yup...more than a few problems...especially on the "Fastening" and "Bonding" fronts

Man you hit the nail on the head!!!!

I have a friend working on this plane back east, he says the fastening of the bonded structures is kicking there asses.

|

12/15/2009 1:04 PM

had cut the first flight short due to weather.. Landing in Seattle as we speak..
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

12/15/2009 1:26 PM

Is it going to Boeing Field or PAE?

|

12/15/2009 1:39 PM

Isn't it usually Everett to Boeing Field?

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

12/15/2009 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 7:28 PM

They need to make the whole damn aircraft in N. Carolina and quit trying to please EVERYBODY by lettin' all the various countries have a "piece" of it. Even the development & use of the Dream-Lifter was charged to this program. This reminds me of the F-16...

More jobs here and everyone-else can F.O.

I'm jus' sayin'...

|

12/15/2009 2:37 PM

zjbell wrote:

Is it going to Boeing Field or PAE?

BFI

|

12/15/2009 2:47 PM

we could hear the Boeing workers cheering

all the way from south carolina

|

in a past life, I was myself

when opportunity knocked, it waited because I was busy

I gave my father a talking to

12/15/2009 4:04 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|

in a past life, I was myself

when opportunity knocked, it waited because I was busy

I gave my father a talking to

12/15/2009 4:15 PM

Call me layperson, it doesnt look all that large. On the news they claimed it holds more and is more fuel efficient. Looks like a standard commercial aircraft size-wise.

What are some of the wiz-bang features of this new craft?

|

12/15/2009 4:30 PM

It seems to me it has a lot of wing......long skinny wings. Maybe that's part of the efficiency equation, huh?

|

Previously Breeeez

12/15/2009 4:48 PM

The chase plane is a Lockheed T-33.

The wing is the latest since the "Critical" design era.

|

12/15/2009 4:56 PM

CR250Rider wrote:

we could hear the Boeing workers cheering

all the way from south carolina

I feel really sorry for the machinist union.....NOT!

|

12/15/2009 4:58 PM

Tiki wrote:

Call me layperson, it doesnt look all that large. On the news they claimed it holds more and is more fuel efficient. Looks ...more

I believe it's about the same size as the 767; however, I'm pretty sure that between the 3 variants it carries more and/or can go farther...on a lot less gas with a lot less drag.

|

12/15/2009 5:38 PM

Tiki wrote:

Call me layperson, it doesnt look all that large. On the news they claimed it holds more and is more fuel efficient. Looks ...more

Less fuel and less maintenance. It is not made to compete with the large, long range planes.

|

12/15/2009 6:18 PM

This was ZA001 about three months ago.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Bonus, first 777F
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

12/15/2009 6:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2009 8:29 PM

Boeing obviously doesn't watch Mythbusters or they would have put golf ball like dimples all over the fuselage to get even better fuel economy.

|

12/15/2009 8:10 PM

har!

|

"Please don't feed the Drama Queens"

12/16/2009 3:41 PM

Tiki wrote:

The idea is its a point to point aircraft so it can flay into almost any airport. Unlike the 380 which has to fly hub to hub.

The new 747-8 looks cool too.

Photo

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." Baron Rothschild

12/16/2009 3:53 PM

Some of the busy/high traffic Asian markets are talking to Boeing about that Big-Rig (747-8) or so Boeing reports.

There is a Long-Range variant of the 787...the -900, I think? Good for 8000+ n-miles.

|