Black Hole Photographed For The First Time

SEEMEFIRST
4/12/2019 2:09pm
Isn't a "light year" much longer than an "earth year"?
ATKpilot99
4/12/2019 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2019 2:14pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
It's the distance light will travel in a year . Light speed is 186'000 miles per second.
JAFO92
4/12/2019 2:16pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
A light year is the same as a Earth year chronologically, difference is a "light year" is the distance traveled while traveling at the speed of light for that same duration.

Since light travels at 670,616,629 mph, and theres 24 hours in a day and 365 days a year, gonna be hard to get that many digits on a calculator, but its a loooooooooooong way.
XXVoid MainXX
4/12/2019 2:44pm
I think he was joking. Smile A light year is a measure of distance. A year is a measure of time.

The Shop

Mr. G
4/12/2019 2:59pm
Oh how I wish they would amend the term space time. It's not space time, it's particle time. Space is just a viewpoint of dimension. I will explain when I have more time.
plowboy
4/12/2019 4:12pm
Prntscrn wrote:
So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is what i looked...
So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is what i looked like 55 million years ago?

I feel so stupid having to ask a question like this Laughing
greenmx5 wrote:
That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see dinosaurs roaming the earth...
That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see dinosaurs roaming the earth. Mind blowing to be honest
But the tv preachin' man said the earth is only 6000 years old. I think he said dinosaur bones were fakes planted by the Great Deceiver to confuse us. Next thing you guys are gonna say the earth is round liked a ball instead of flat like a dinner plate.
SEEMEFIRST
4/12/2019 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2019 5:32pm
I think he was joking. Smile A light year is a measure of distance. A year is a measure of time.
I picked a bad time to not use a smiley guy.
greenmx5
4/13/2019 3:15pm
Speaking of light year, this just popped up on my twitter from NASA explaining just that. A video (1:46 minutes long): https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1117171787186548738 Earth is 8.3 light...
Speaking of light year, this just popped up on my twitter from NASA explaining just that. A video (1:46 minutes long):

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1117171787186548738

Earth is 8.3 light minutes from the sun.
To put that into perspective for people, if the sun instantly burned out, it would take us 8 minutes to notice.
XXVoid MainXX
4/13/2019 3:35pm
And that image that was created of that black hole at the center of our galaxy is what it looked like 25,000 years ago.
plowboy
4/13/2019 4:57pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/13/338660/s1200_10mm.jpg[/img]

Lmfao...no shit...I need to order 10mms sockets by the gross. I can never find that bastard.
Jimmy638
4/13/2019 8:11pm
Speaking of light year, this just popped up on my twitter from NASA explaining just that. A video (1:46 minutes long): https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1117171787186548738 Earth is 8.3 light...
Speaking of light year, this just popped up on my twitter from NASA explaining just that. A video (1:46 minutes long):

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1117171787186548738

Earth is 8.3 light minutes from the sun.
greenmx5 wrote:
To put that into perspective for people, if the sun instantly burned out, it would take us 8 minutes to notice.
Then instantly freeze to dust
Jimmy638
4/13/2019 8:23pm
HD1200 wrote:
How do they know that when something enters a black hole it is gone?
colintrax wrote:
A blackhole is basically an area with gravity so strong it smashes everything to nothingness. So not gone, just hit a sort of shrink ray Cool
greenmx5 wrote:
Or a portal to another universe...

XXVoid MainXX
4/15/2019 7:04am
And that image that was created of that black hole at the center of our galaxy is what it looked like 25,000 years ago.
Oh crap how I got this wrong. For some reason I thought the black hole that they imaged was the one at the center of our own galaxy which is 26,000 light years away. But, the image is actually of the black hole at the center of the M87 galaxy 55 million light years away. So that picture is a picture of something as it appeared not long after the era of dinosaurs.
ATKpilot99
4/15/2019 7:36am
Oh crap how I got this wrong. For some reason I thought the black hole that they imaged was the one at the center of our...
Oh crap how I got this wrong. For some reason I thought the black hole that they imaged was the one at the center of our own galaxy which is 26,000 light years away. But, the image is actually of the black hole at the center of the M87 galaxy 55 million light years away. So that picture is a picture of something as it appeared not long after the era of dinosaurs.
Or maybe last week if we're moving toward each other Wink
Foghorn
4/15/2019 9:58am
I read the Dancing Wu Li Masters many years ago (quote from the book below". This explanation always boggled me but relativity and the speed of light is a very strange animal.

In the course of their experiments with the speed of light,
physicists discovered something very strange The speed of
light disregards the transformation laws of classical mechanics
Of course, that's impossible, but nevertheless, experiment
after experiment proved just the opposite The speed of light
just happens to be the most nonsensical thing ever discovered
That is because it never changes
'So light always travels at the same speed," we ask, \vhat s
so strange about thatl>"
"Oh mv, oh my, ' says a distraught phvsicist circa 1887
"you simply don't understand the problem The problem is
that no matter what the circumstances of the measurement,
no matter what the motion of the observ er, the speed of light
always measures 186,000 miles per second ' *
"Is this bad?
" we sav, beginning to sense that something is
strange here
"Worse," says the physicist "It's impossible Look," he
tells us, trying to calm himself, "suppose that we are standing
still and that somewhere in front of us is a light bulb that also
is standing still The light bulb flashes on and off and we
measure the velocity of the light that comes from it What do
you suppose that velocity \vill be?
"
"186,000 miles per second, we answer, "the speed of light
"Correct'" savs the physicist, with a knowing look that makes
us uncomfortable "Now, suppose the light bulb still is standing
still, but we are moving toward it at 100,000 miles per second
Now what will we measure the speed of the light tobe^"
286,000 miles per second,' we answer ' the speed of light
(186,000 miles per second) plus our speed (100 OXX) miles per
second) " (This is a typical example of a classical transformation)
"Wrong1
" shouts the physicist "That's just the point The
speed of the light is still 186,000 miles per second "
"Wait a minute," we sav "That can t be You sav that if the
light bulb is at rest and we are at rest, the speed of photons
* In a vacuum Trit bpeed ol light changes in matter depending upon tht index
of refraction of the matter c,,wttt< r = ——————————— index of refraction
128 /NONSENSE
emitted from it will measure the same to us as the speed of
photons emitted from it when we are rushing toward the light
bulb? That doesn't make sense. When the photons are emitted,
they are traveling at 186,000 miles per second. If we also are
moving, and moving toward them, their velocity should measure that much faster. In fact, they should appear to be traveling
with the speed at which they were emitted plus our speed.
Their velocity should measure 186,000 miles per second plus
100,000 miles per second."
"True," says our friend, "but it doesn't. It measures 186,000
miles per second, just as if we still were standing still."
Pausing for that to sink in, he continues, "Now consider the
opposite situation. Suppose that the light bulb still is standing
still, and this time we are moving away from it at 100,000
miles per second. What will the velocity of the photons measure now?
"86,000 miles per second?" we say, hopefully, "the speed of
light minus our speed as we move away from the approaching
photons?"
"Wrong, again!" exclaims our friend again. "It should, but
it doesn't. The speed of the photons still measures 186,000
miles per second."
"This is very hard to believe. Do you mean that if a light
bulb is at rest and we measure the speed of the photons
emitted from it while we also are at rest, and if we then
measure the speed of the photons from it while we are moving toward it, and lastly, if we measure the speed of the
photons emitted from it while we are moving away from it,
we get the same result in all three cases?"
"Exactly!" says the physicist. "186,000 miles per second."*
"Do you have any evidence?" we ask him.
Unfortunately, he says, "I do. Two American physicists.
Albert Michelson and Edward Morley, have just completed
an experiment which seems to show that the speed of light is
constant, regardless of the state of motion of the observer."

XXVoid MainXX
4/15/2019 4:55pm
Except in our expanding universe distant galaxies are moving farther away from us faster than the speed of light which is why we can only see 16 billion light years into our universe. We can't see anything beyond that because anything beyond that is moving away from us faster than the speed of light.
4/15/2019 7:12pm
Prntscrn wrote:
So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is what i looked...
So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is what i looked like 55 million years ago?

I feel so stupid having to ask a question like this Laughing
greenmx5 wrote:
That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see dinosaurs roaming the earth...
That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see dinosaurs roaming the earth. Mind blowing to be honest
Prntscrn wrote:
Thanks. That truly is mind blowing. Imagine being that far away looking back at earth, freakin rad.
Hmmm...

1. Develop tech to travel thru wormhole to other side of the galaxy

2. Bring high powered telescope

3. And basically peak back in time

(Would never work tho. The image that existed 65m yrs ago would be so out of focus right?)
4/15/2019 7:19pm
Except in our expanding universe distant galaxies are moving farther away from us faster than the speed of light which is why we can only see...
Except in our expanding universe distant galaxies are moving farther away from us faster than the speed of light which is why we can only see 16 billion light years into our universe. We can't see anything beyond that because anything beyond that is moving away from us faster than the speed of light.
Wouldnt that disprove that light speed is constant despite reference points speed to & from each other?
Mr. CrossUp
4/15/2019 7:33pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
So in other words if we're looking at a star that's say 1 million light years away but its moving away from us or us moving...
So in other words if we're looking at a star that's say 1 million light years away but its moving away from us or us moving away from it or both we could be seeing the way that star looked , I don't know 1.5 or 2 million years ago ? Or if we're going towards it we're seeing it in the future ? Wait I have a headache now.
JAFO92 wrote:
Correct. If you believe that Einstein was right about Special Relativity and that space & time are indeed connected, and understand that motion will measurably change...
Correct. If you believe that Einstein was right about Special Relativity and that space & time are indeed connected, and understand that motion will measurably change 'time' between two points (ie Twins Paradox), then you have to conclude that given the staggering distances between things in the Universe, that even relatively small changes in motion between two points can have significant impacts on space-time between two points.
Yeah
XXVoid MainXX
4/15/2019 7:41pm
Except in our expanding universe distant galaxies are moving farther away from us faster than the speed of light which is why we can only see...
Wouldnt that disprove that light speed is constant despite reference points speed to & from each other?
In my mind, yes. But it's not that simple of course. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

Some parts of the universe are too far away for the light emitted since the Big Bang to have had enough time to reach Earth or its scientific space-based instruments, and so lie outside the observable universe. In the future, light from distant galaxies will have had more time to travel, so additional regions will become observable. However, due to Hubble's law, regions sufficiently distant from the Earth are expanding away from it faster than the speed of light (special relativity prevents nearby objects in the same local region from moving faster than the speed of light with respect to each other, but there is no such constraint for distant objects when the space between them is expanding; see uses of the proper distance for a discussion) and furthermore the expansion rate appears to be accelerating due to dark energy. .....
4/15/2019 7:48pm
In my mind, yes. But it's not that simple of course. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe [i]Some parts of the universe are too far away for the light emitted...
In my mind, yes. But it's not that simple of course. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

Some parts of the universe are too far away for the light emitted since the Big Bang to have had enough time to reach Earth or its scientific space-based instruments, and so lie outside the observable universe. In the future, light from distant galaxies will have had more time to travel, so additional regions will become observable. However, due to Hubble's law, regions sufficiently distant from the Earth are expanding away from it faster than the speed of light (special relativity prevents nearby objects in the same local region from moving faster than the speed of light with respect to each other, but there is no such constraint for distant objects when the space between them is expanding; see uses of the proper distance for a discussion) and furthermore the expansion rate appears to be accelerating due to dark energy. .....
The only thing that doesnt make sense about that is solid matter somehow moving faster than the speed of light.

But I could imagine two objects moving apart from each other, gaining speed until the combined rate (2 objects just moving at half the speed of light) would mean they were outrunning each other.

Post a reply to: Black Hole Photographed For The First Time

The Latest