Black Hole Photographed For The First Time

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2019 7:12 AM

|

4/10/2019 7:15 AM

I was genuinely concerned it was going to be a black square of a photo. Pretty rad stuff in the article

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

4/10/2019 8:23 AM

Stuff like this is so hard to fathom.

It a humbling reminder of how small our world is and the vastness of the universe.

Amazing that humans are intelligent enough to learn about things so far away, and so very complex.

|

4/10/2019 10:41 AM

Here is the actual press conference:

|

4/10/2019 1:54 PM

Casting wrote:

Stuff like this is so hard to fathom.

It a humbling reminder of how small our world is and the vastness of the universe.

...more

It really makes you wonder how we made it this far after reading through the Moto section for 3 minutes

|

4/10/2019 3:15 PM

It is so hard to fathom! I love these kind of news.. We`ve been without these kind of news for several year. During the space age in the 60`s/70`s we got something to dream about and reach for every year. This stuff is important in a time where people are more worried about how to label a gender than how to forward humanity based on facts.

If the black hole is 6,5 billion times larger than our sun, and it eats all mass, it kind of puts our existence in perspective. We are so worthless! Love it!

|

4/10/2019 3:20 PM

I watched this yesterday (before the release) and he does a great job predicting what the image would look like and why:

|

4/10/2019 6:50 PM

How do they know that when something enters a black hole it is gone?

|

4/10/2019 7:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 7:10 PM

It isn't "gone". It's just added to the mass just like as if it crashed onto Earth or Mars or Jupiter. Their masses would increase by that amount.

|

4/10/2019 7:45 PM

Thanks Void, It's a little hard for me to grasp but that helps me see it a little better.

|

4/10/2019 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2019 8:12 PM

My college professor said something to the class one day that has stuck with me forever. "Our whole planet is but one piece of sand in the Sahara desert." Imagine that for a second. Its scary and amazing all at the same time.

|

4/11/2019 8:45 AM

Photo
|

4/11/2019 8:53 AM

HD1200 wrote:

A blackhole is basically an area with gravity so strong it smashes everything to nothingness. So not gone, just hit a sort of shrink ray cool

|

4/11/2019 9:17 AM

Pretty nuts how close Nolan and his team got with Interstellar.

|

4/11/2019 9:21 AM

That's where all my guitar picks went!

|

4/11/2019 9:25 AM

HD1200 wrote:

colintrax wrote:

A blackhole is basically an area with gravity so strong it smashes everything to nothingness. So not gone, just hit a sort of ...more

Or a portal to another universe...

|

4/11/2019 9:57 AM

Its times like this that I wash I was better educated in physics...so that I could fully appreciate the significance of what this means for science/humanity.

|

4/11/2019 10:47 AM

HD1200 wrote:

colintrax wrote:

A blackhole is basically an area with gravity so strong it smashes everything to nothingness. So not gone, just hit a sort of ...more

greenmx5 wrote:

All who dare to cross her course
Are swallowed by a fearsome force
Through the void to be destroyed
Or is there something more?
Atomized at the core,
Or through the astral door, to soar?
|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/11/2019 12:46 PM

Titan1 wrote:

Its times like this that I wash I was better educated in physics...so that I could fully appreciate the significance of what ...more

If you find the right videos on youtube (legit videos from universities and accredited scientists), and listen for about an hours worth of quantum physics and the vastness of this universe we live in, it's enough to question how and why we ended up here. If you go down the road of even the slim chance it took for everything to line up and us to even be in existence, it's pretty amazing. If one thing was off, there would never be human civilization on this earth (NO VITAL, NOOOOOO). I could talk about this stuff for hours. There's also crazy scary stuff like the God particle that could wipe us all out in an instant. And we wouldn't even see it coming.

Here are some videos of stuff that amazes me, if any of you are bored.

https://www.livescience.com/47737-stephen-hawking-higgs-boson-universe-doomsday.html

|

4/11/2019 12:54 PM

Many of the reports of this Black Hole Photo are not mentioning the gal that made it possible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47891902

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

4/11/2019 5:12 PM

HD1200 wrote:

colintrax wrote:

greenmx5 wrote:

See, that's kinda what I mean, it could be!

|

4/11/2019 11:57 PM

Just a year after Stephen Hawking's passing. Quite sad because it would really make him happy to witness this scientific breakthrough.

|

Trying bf goodrich tires for off-roading for the first time.

4/12/2019 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2019 8:30 AM

So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is what i looked like 55 million years ago?

I feel so stupid having to ask a question like this laughing

|

4/12/2019 8:41 AM

Prntscrn wrote:

So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is ...more

That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see dinosaurs roaming the earth. Mind blowing to be honest

|

4/12/2019 9:10 AM

Prntscrn wrote:

So for someone who never enjoyed physics in school. They said it's 55 million light years away. Does this mean that this is ...more

greenmx5 wrote:

That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see ...more

Thanks. That truly is mind blowing. Imagine being that far away looking back at earth, freakin rad.

|

4/12/2019 9:12 AM

akillerwombat wrote:

Pretty nuts how close Nolan and his team got with Interstellar.

That movie resulted in a few scientific papers/discoveries on black holes actually, which is pretty cool.

I'm currently wrapping up my BS in physics right now, although I'm much more of an engineer at heart, the physics side of me nerds out on this stuff. This is pretty cool.

What's crazy is they knew about this black hole about a year ago, but putting it all into action and getting everything in motion took an entire year to produce that one image.

|

4/12/2019 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2019 9:29 AM

greenmx5 wrote:

That's correct. If someone had a bit enough telescope in theory and we're 65 million light years from us, they would see ...more

Correct, A snapshot of the 'event' 55 million years ago. However, depending on the motion/velocity of the 'event' and the 'observer', it may have not been the dinosaurs era, couldve been a entire different 'time' altogether. When talking about time-dates, you cannot only factor in light-speed distance, you have to consider the motion/velocity involved.

This video does a good job of using 3D images to explain. (IMHO) He gets to the meat of it all at about 3:20

|

"We don't rent pigs."

4/12/2019 9:30 AM

I remember a teacher at school telling me that the light reflecting off things in space that are light years away could be reflecting off something that is no longer there and that we would only stop seeing that light when we caught up with how many light years away it is. Mind blown

|

4/12/2019 12:56 PM

So they can find the Black Hole but still cannot find Pokemon! grin
Photo

|

4/12/2019 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2019 1:32 PM

Prntscrn wrote:

greenmx5 wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:

Correct, A snapshot of the 'event' 55 million years ago. However, depending on the motion/velocity of the 'event' and the ...more

So in other words if we're looking at a star that's say 1 million light years away but its moving away from us or us moving away from it or both we could be seeing the way that star looked , I don't know 1.5 or 2 million years ago ? Or if we're going towards it we're seeing it in the future ? Wait I have a headache now.

|