Beware The Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspots App

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2018 9:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/7/2018 9:45 AM

When I got online yesterday instead of my browser going to my designated start page this black Xfinity page came up and it said something about being ready to set up my account and wanting me to click a big “Start” button in the middle of the screen. WTF? I thought. I’ve been signed up with Comcast for years, why do I need to set up an account?

So I called Comcast tech support and working my way thru the recordings I eventually got to a real person, a gal in India who I could barely understand. I asked her about the strange web page I was seeing and she was absolutely no help. Then she started telling me my modem was obsolete, (I have my own modem, I don’t rent one from Comcast). Comcast tried to pull this crap on me a few year ago when my internet speed dropped big time. It was their problem back then, not my modem. Then the Comcast tech tried to get me to agree to have a service person come out and check everything, which would cost $75 minimum. I said no thanks.

After that my internet was fucked up all evening. My download speed went from around 85 Mbps to 4 Mbps. Every time I went to a new web site I would get a page that said “Network Disconnected” for a few seconds, then the web page would load. Or sometimes it would not load. Then I started getting web pages that were saying that the network was unsecure and somebody could steal my ID and password. At that point I disconnected my modem power and the Ethernet cable. I still had internet access and all the same problems. I called a friend with that also had Comcast to see if he was having similar issues, he was not. Then with him on the phone I clicked on my Network icon and I found a long list of different Wi-Fi networks that apparently belong to people that live in the area. At that point I went thru and manually disconnected from each of these networks. After I did that I started getting the black Xfinity page again with the Start button. So I clicked that button and it had me log into my Comcast account, it did some stuff then it told me my account was set up? At that point my internet seemed back to normal.

Then I got an email from Comcast thanking me for activating my Xfinity Wi-Fi Hotspots app to find hotspots near you. Apparently what happened is Comcast loaded this app on my computer and then my PC just started switching to unsecure Wi-Fi networks in my area that my neighbors have set up. Unbelievable! After I got that email I got back into my network settings and just turned off all Wi-Fi and I turned off the Hots Spots 2.0 App. Now I have to figure out if Comcast is charging me extra for this. That service gal I talked to yesterday didn’t know shit about any of this.

Comcast Sucks, Blue Whale!

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”