Best degrees in college?

logan_140
I'm 20 and in college, taking pre recs. I really want to go into some sort of engineering. Was nursing but now engineering as I love working on things and designing things and what not. More along the line of mech engineering. That leads me to my question what are the best degrees to be able to have a job when you graduate?
|
APLMAN99
8/25/2016 10:24pm
My oldest son originally was admitted to the University of Washington directly into the Electrical Engineering dept., he had basically taken only college classes his last two years of high school and graduated with an Associate degree the week after his high school graduation.

When he registered for classes, he realized that the first quarter at UW would be the last math class he'd take. He liked math more than anything else so he switched majors.

Since changing to a comprehensive (pure) math major, I've been amazed at the interest he gets from a whole bunch of sectors. He's only taken probably 3 CS classes in his life, but this summer he received a pretty serious 6 figure offer from the CEO of a tech company that included paying him while he finishes his bachelors degree this coming year. He also gets some stupid inquiries from Wall Street type firms. The last 2 summers he's been approached by firms that were talking internships of 7-9K per month for 3 months along with free housing and a lot of other perks to work in Manhattan for the summer.

I was amazed at the demand for math majors, had no clue that it was that high.

He's pretty set on getting his PhD and doing research, but if you have a real talent for math there is some stupid money to be made.......
logan_140
8/26/2016 4:34am
APLMAN99 wrote:
My oldest son originally was admitted to the University of Washington directly into the Electrical Engineering dept., he had basically taken only college classes his last...
My oldest son originally was admitted to the University of Washington directly into the Electrical Engineering dept., he had basically taken only college classes his last two years of high school and graduated with an Associate degree the week after his high school graduation.

When he registered for classes, he realized that the first quarter at UW would be the last math class he'd take. He liked math more than anything else so he switched majors.

Since changing to a comprehensive (pure) math major, I've been amazed at the interest he gets from a whole bunch of sectors. He's only taken probably 3 CS classes in his life, but this summer he received a pretty serious 6 figure offer from the CEO of a tech company that included paying him while he finishes his bachelors degree this coming year. He also gets some stupid inquiries from Wall Street type firms. The last 2 summers he's been approached by firms that were talking internships of 7-9K per month for 3 months along with free housing and a lot of other perks to work in Manhattan for the summer.

He's pretty set on getting his PhD and doing research, but if you have a real talent for math there is some stupid money to be made.......
I feel anybody can be good at math, just gotta study and want to be good at it. Me personally I'm OK at math.. But I'm about to just start studying the shit out of it and making myself good at it. Your son must be a genius at it lol
IWreckALot
8/26/2016 6:03am
Just whatever you do, don't settle for a generic business major. My wife is a nurse with her BSN and they are constantly offering experienced nurses $10k and $20k signing bonuses. I don't know of another industry that offers employees that kind of signing bonuses outside of more executive level positions.

I'm 30 and I'll be graduating with my BBA in CIS come next May. I like the IS world simply because there is SSSSOOO many options. If you don't like coding, you can go into engineering. If you don't like that, there is security. If you don't like that, you can be an operator. Good Database Admins make crazy money. The list goes on and on. And the more areas you have experience in, the more valuable you are. And it's not THAT difficult if you just apply yourself.
JAFO92
8/26/2016 6:14am
Get into cyber security engineering you will never go without a job and work from home most of the time. This field will only grow as everything in the entire world is going Cloud based.

My kid already has his CCNP, CCDP, CISSP, CEHv8, WCNA, Sec+, and is currently working towards his CCIE.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/26/2016 6:52am
logan_140 wrote:
I'm 20 and in college, taking pre recs. I really want to go into some sort of engineering. Was nursing but now engineering as I love...
I'm 20 and in college, taking pre recs. I really want to go into some sort of engineering. Was nursing but now engineering as I love working on things and designing things and what not. More along the line of mech engineering. That leads me to my question what are the best degrees to be able to have a job when you graduate?
Those are both good choices IMO. I went for Mechanical Engineering and am actually an mfg engineer now but even better is probably chemical or electrical as far as starting salary.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1517th
8/26/2016 7:27am
The math major deal is interesting. If you are mechanically inclined I would suggest electrical engineering because you could probably figure out the mechanical thing at most jobs but the electrical stuff takes some training.
8/26/2016 7:33am
Something in the IT field should land you a good paying job, but you have to like coding. Not just playing around on message boards, but the insides of how it all is put together.
The thing with math is exercising your brain to work a certain way is how I look at it. Not like you'll be doing calc at your job, but being able to think in a detailed critical way is what it's about.
I majored in Computer Information Systems and mathematics.
Old-Man
8/26/2016 8:00am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2016 8:49am
done...bye all
8/26/2016 8:16am
Accounting, you'll never go without a job. Every company needs accountants.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/26/2016 8:24am
I would say go mechanical, there are options that you can get into building your creations where as
the other fields you might be cubicle confined. No matter which engineering degree you get, you'll
be very well compensated. Or you could just get out quick with a polisci degree and go hungry later.
Keep in mind that mechanical is very difficult and time consuming.
TM
APLMAN99
8/26/2016 8:30am
APLMAN99 wrote:
My oldest son originally was admitted to the University of Washington directly into the Electrical Engineering dept., he had basically taken only college classes his last...

logan_140 wrote:
I feel anybody can be good at math, just gotta study and want to be good at it. Me personally I'm OK at math.. But I'm...
I feel anybody can be good at math, just gotta study and want to be good at it. Me personally I'm OK at math.. But I'm about to just start studying the shit out of it and making myself good at it. Your son must be a genius at it lol
I think anyone can be proficient at arithmetic, and perhaps even most applied math, but those who are really successful at pure math (research types) are a different breed. It's just like how the vast majority of the population could spend just as many hours on a bike as Ken Roczen and never come close to performing the way he does.

The latest "offer" from a CEO was actually pretty funny. He was at a party for his friend, the son of the CEO, who was just finishing this year. When the son introduced him to his father and told him about his papers, accomplishments, etc., the father googled his work and started recruiting him right away! True mathematicians are pretty good to find, apparently, and if they have decent, basic social skills it's a big bonus.

I'd say that if you are more into building, designing, etc., then engineering is the best choice but if you are truly mathematically inclined, perhaps look into a double major?

Being a math professor probably (definitely) won't pay as much as my son could get on the "open market", but it'll pay enough for him to be happy with a new snowboard every couple of years and such. Plus he'll actually be getting paid to get his PhD and that will only increase his worth.

As mentioned, an IS career is crazy lucrative. My brother in law has banked nearly a million dollars in signing bonuses alone over the last decade from being recruited by MS, Amazon, Twitter, Amazon again, and Facebook. Add in his Director level salary and performance bonuses and it's mind boggling to me. And he travels all over the world trying to acquire top talent, too!
Homey55
8/26/2016 9:53am
If you like more hands-on tasks and want a more broad degree, then look into Industrial Technology. My classmates all have good jobs within their discipline. We would all joke that we were "Shop" majors, but I would say we are all pretty successful.

I'm a Facilities Engineer. I enjoy the variety of work that I do and I don't think I have the stress that a Mechanical Engineer would have. Also, I get to be a part of a lot of different projects for the companies I work for and learn about different ways things are produced and the engineering behind them. You get to help with layout planning for different products and you get to help people make a better product in many cases.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
8/26/2016 9:58am
I feel a Women's Studies or Humanities degree may be right up your alley. You may get a less harsh punishment from the Clinton Foundation Gestapo after you graduate and are taking jobs from the under privileged.
logan_140
8/26/2016 9:59am
Homey55 wrote:
If you like more hands-on tasks and want a more broad degree, then look into Industrial Technology. My classmates all have good jobs within their discipline...
If you like more hands-on tasks and want a more broad degree, then look into Industrial Technology. My classmates all have good jobs within their discipline. We would all joke that we were "Shop" majors, but I would say we are all pretty successful.

I'm a Facilities Engineer. I enjoy the variety of work that I do and I don't think I have the stress that a Mechanical Engineer would have. Also, I get to be a part of a lot of different projects for the companies I work for and learn about different ways things are produced and the engineering behind them. You get to help with layout planning for different products and you get to help people make a better product in many cases.
What type of schools offer this?
Homey55
8/26/2016 10:08am
logan_140 wrote:
What type of schools offer this?
They are getting harder to find. I got my degree from Humboldt State back in 2000. I believe Cal Poly SLO has the degree and several other colleges. You would need to do a search.

I know the CEO of Raytheon was an Industrial Technology major, and many other successful people have that degree as well.
IWreckALot
8/26/2016 10:40am
JRT812 wrote:
Learn SQL
SQL is everywhere.

Good Database admins are hard to find.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
8/26/2016 10:49am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 10:50am
I highly recommend the following: BS in Nursing or BS Mech/Elec Engineering.

Nursing is probably one of the most secure professions- not once in the 10+ years my wife has been a BSRN has she ever feared losing her job even through the recession- That is not the same for most any other profession. Pay right out of college was $60k+ a year....
8/26/2016 10:55am
JRT812 wrote:
Learn SQL
IWreckALot wrote:
SQL is everywhere.

and you'll need to crawl before you walk, learn SQL before database admin.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
8/26/2016 10:55am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 10:55am
Old-Man wrote:
done...bye all
Based on the cost of college and the time/dedication it takes- this is terrible advice Old-Man! Shocked
8/26/2016 10:57am
Old-Man wrote:
done...bye all
nothing like paying 80 to 100k for a 4 year in-state degree only to not be able to get a job because you majored in shit.
8/26/2016 11:25am
You can't go wrong with either nursing or engineering salary wise. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and don't regret it a bit, although I definitely struggled through some classes. It was not easy, but when you get a great starting offer and all your friends with bullshit degrees are jobless you will just pat yourself on the back and smile.
logan_140
8/26/2016 11:31am
You can't go wrong with either nursing or engineering salary wise. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and don't regret it a bit, although I definitely struggled...
You can't go wrong with either nursing or engineering salary wise. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and don't regret it a bit, although I definitely struggled through some classes. It was not easy, but when you get a great starting offer and all your friends with bullshit degrees are jobless you will just pat yourself on the back and smile.
How much math would you say you did? I'm not the greatest at math.. That being said I'm about to get a tutor and start studying my ass off to be good at It.
8/26/2016 11:48am
You can't go wrong with either nursing or engineering salary wise. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and don't regret it a bit, although I definitely struggled...
logan_140 wrote:
How much math would you say you did? I'm not the greatest at math.. That being said I'm about to get a tutor and start studying...
How much math would you say you did? I'm not the greatest at math.. That being said I'm about to get a tutor and start studying my ass off to be good at It.
I thought I was good at math until I went into engineering haha. But I took Calc I & 2, differential equations, and "Math Methods" which is like an intro to calc III, linear algebra and other odds and ends. Even though that's only 4 classes, you need that math for the majority of the other classes.

I was honestly not "smart" compared to others in my class. 5 Year plan and graduated with a 2.7 gpa. After being out of school almost 3 years I decided to start studying for the fundamentals of engineering exam this spring in order to further my career. It's amazing how motivated one can be when money is on the line. Cheerful I swear through my studying I understood some subjects more than I did while in school. I'm now eagerly awaiting the PE exam which i hope to take in a few years.

If you have the motivation, you can overcome your current lack of math knowledge, a tutor is a great place to start!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/26/2016 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 12:03pm
Political Science...................oops did you mean if you want to make money? Blush
Blush
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/26/2016 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 12:08pm
logan_140 wrote:
How much math would you say you did? I'm not the greatest at math.. That being said I'm about to get a tutor and start studying...
To generalize, you'll be doing years of math and advanced physics classes, but they'll have cool names like thermodynamics...haha
APLMAN99
8/26/2016 2:42pm
logan_140 wrote:
If you decide to become a mechanical engineer, I think we'd all appreciate it if your capstone paper was an analysis of the "seat bounce"............

The tutor thing is a great idea. I think most schools provide it free, also. My son has worked for the engineering department since first quarter of his freshman year in their 'study center' and also been a 'lab instructor' for Math 307 (Diiff. Eq.) and Math 308 (Linear Algebra) since the second quarter of his freshman year. He says that there is a pretty obvious correlation between the usage of the study centers and success in the classroom.
Jmicmoto13
8/26/2016 3:16pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Just whatever you do, don't settle for a generic business major. My wife is a nurse with her BSN and they are constantly offering experienced nurses...
Just whatever you do, don't settle for a generic business major. My wife is a nurse with her BSN and they are constantly offering experienced nurses $10k and $20k signing bonuses. I don't know of another industry that offers employees that kind of signing bonuses outside of more executive level positions.

I'm 30 and I'll be graduating with my BBA in CIS come next May. I like the IS world simply because there is SSSSOOO many options. If you don't like coding, you can go into engineering. If you don't like that, there is security. If you don't like that, you can be an operator. Good Database Admins make crazy money. The list goes on and on. And the more areas you have experience in, the more valuable you are. And it's not THAT difficult if you just apply yourself.
Ehhh I disagree. I have a business admin degree with a focus in finance and have a great job at a world class company. The degree is the thing that gets you the interview and your personality/ charisma wins your the career. Also doesn't hurt to know the right people lol My wife is also a nurse and I've heard of those stupid big sign on bonuses but that job is mentally and physically exhausting and really doesn't have too many avenues for promotion or advancement.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/26/2016 3:46pm
A math degree would be great. So would a business degree, as any job you are going t otake is likely at some kind of business. (Poly Sci graduates are the rare exception I can think of, but then again, politics is big business these days also!)
Whatever you do, don't get something worthless, like my BA in Music.D'oh!
JAFO92
8/26/2016 5:12pm
JRT812 wrote:
Learn SQL
IWreckALot wrote:
SQL is everywhere.

Thats what my wife does. Shes a database admin for Texas A&M and its all SQL.

Post a reply to: Best degrees in college?

The Latest