Best albums, any genre

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
And, why do we still call them albums? The've gone the way of the unicorn!

Pauls Boutique
|
borg
2/24/2017 7:45pm
I'll replace best with favorite. One of my all time favorites is Quicksilver Messenger Service "Happy Trails"
Also Beatles White album.
BobPA
2/24/2017 8:36pm
The stones

Beggars Banquet
71Fish
2/24/2017 8:53pm
Oasis: Definitely, Maybe.

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/24/2017 9:43pm
Here is a sideways compliment. I always thought there had never been a better album than Guns and Roses Appetite For Destruction. It was so good that it propelled them to stardom and kept them famous even after all the crap they put out from there on.
I missed putting a post in the other thread but ACDC Back in Black is at the top of best album ever for me.
sende
Fantasy
4429th
2/25/2017 3:07am
Top 3:

Alice in chains - Dirt.

Megadeth - Countdown to extinction.

Karnivool - Sound awake.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
2/25/2017 4:40am
Silverchair- Frogstomp
Big Black- Songs about Fucking
TSOL- Change Today
The Clash- London Calling

To hard to pick just one....
2/25/2017 6:49am
Anything by boy George or hall and oats. Lol. Fake news. Seriously vanhalen's 1st album or AC/DC's back in black.
BobPA
2/25/2017 6:55am
sleeve1 wrote:
Silverchair- Frogstomp
Big Black- Songs about Fucking
TSOL- Change Today
The Clash- London Calling

To hard to pick just one....
TSOL "It's Grey" came on this morning and brought me back to drinking beer and ripping BMX lol
JBecker 72
2/25/2017 7:07am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 7:08am
One of my favorites. Tool Lateralus

71Fish
2/25/2017 7:31am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 7:33am
Here is a sideways compliment. I always thought there had never been a better album than Guns and Roses Appetite For Destruction. It was so good...
Here is a sideways compliment. I always thought there had never been a better album than Guns and Roses Appetite For Destruction. It was so good that it propelled them to stardom and kept them famous even after all the crap they put out from there on.
I missed putting a post in the other thread but ACDC Back in Black is at the top of best album ever for me.
I agree. It was so good that it was impossible for them to match. Same with Pearl Jam's "Ten", IMO.
And the Oasis album I mentioned above was barely matched by "What's the Story", but everything else, though good, didn't match up.
Prntscrn
2/25/2017 8:33am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 8:36am
ACDC - Highway to hell

Ready to die by Biggie Smalls and Illmatic by Nas is pretty sick too, but more in the way that they have some really great songs, not all of them
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/25/2017 8:37am
Ha! Yeah, I think broad is fun, for stuff like this.

Beasties were iconic. Their history is interesting, especially what they started out playing.

FYI, to all, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the album part. Just think its funny how things change, but stay the same. They'll always be albums to me.
gabrielito
2/25/2017 8:50am
For me debut albums define a band. In my opinion if the debut is not great and they have great albums later it is because of the producer. Which I guess still makes it a great album but not necessarily because of the band. Also for me a great album is timeless and changes music.

Some of mine are in no particular order

Some that are more producer greats (and/or) new member('s) make it great.

A few where the bands were so young when they started and just needed some time to mature

Honorable Mentions

Group23
2/25/2017 8:54am
AC/DC Powerage
Tom Petty Damn The Torpedoes
Foreigner Double Vision
Doors Alive, She Cried
Elvis Costello Armed Forces
Rolling Stones Somegirls
gabrielito
2/25/2017 9:08am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 9:23am
A few more honorable mentions:

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/25/2017 9:25am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2017 9:28am
Wow. Some I forgot all about.

Silverchair. Werent they like 14 when they recorded that album?

Tool and The Clash. Enough said.

Joe Jackson Awesome

Mookie Blaylocks album 10, as mentioned by 71fish. Movement and decade defining.

Surprised no one has mentioned what some consider the best (not one of) album, of all time. Purple Rain.
gabrielito
2/25/2017 9:36am
kzizok wrote:
Wow. Some I forgot all about. Silverchair. Werent they like 14 when they recorded that album? Tool and The Clash. Enough said. Joe Jackson Awesome Mookie...
Wow. Some I forgot all about.

Silverchair. Werent they like 14 when they recorded that album?

Tool and The Clash. Enough said.

Joe Jackson Awesome

Mookie Blaylocks album 10, as mentioned by 71fish. Movement and decade defining.

Surprised no one has mentioned what some consider the best (not one of) album, of all time. Purple Rain.
Purple rain is great.

Of course it's all relative but 10 was very far along time wise in the Seattle scene. So it's hard to argue that is changed anything. If we're talking lesser known albums this is tops from Seattle then.

Another good one from Seattle:

2/25/2017 10:44am
I still buy LP's and cd's for my car. I have to have the physical copy of my music. i like the art work and i like to read the credits. I also still hunt for records, in our local record stores and on the inner nets. I don't download music, our whole world is driven by that phone in my pocket, i don't want my escape from that world to be there too.

in answer to the original question,

In any music with a guitar in it, any genre, this is it.

End Thread. Tongue
2/25/2017 10:45am
Oh yeah, is the young chick in the Mommas and the Papas album up there have her fly down?LaughingLaughing
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/25/2017 12:00pm
kzizok wrote:
And, why do we still call them albums? The've gone the way of the unicorn!

Pauls Boutique
JAFO92 wrote:
Gone? I still buy 2-3 LPs a month. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/03/record-sales-vinyl-hits-25-year-high-and-outstrips-streaming Just got Aerosmiths 'Rocks' and Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' in a few weeks ago. Heres...
Gone? I still buy 2-3 LPs a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/03/record-sales-vinyl-hits-2…

Just got Aerosmiths 'Rocks' and Pink Floyd 'Wish You Were Here' in a few weeks ago.

Heres just a few favs:

The Tubes!
MJC
2/26/2017 2:11am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
A few on my list [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a1/Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg[/img][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg[/img] [img]https://img.discogs.com/Vlxx7s_ChFsvEtUQaMlK0kfCABA=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-829200-1164729796.jpeg.jpg[/img][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Micro2.jpg/220px-Micro2.jpg[/img] [img]https://cdn.pitchfork.com/albums/381/homepage_large.909d52ed.jpg[/img][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/86/Geogaddi.jpg[/img] [img]https://img.discogs.com/8YPhZfIuQ18LH3k3FB6SZiPREpU=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/R-32662-1221896955.jpeg.jpg[/img][img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/MyBloodyValentineLoveless.jpg[/img]
A few on my list

Man, Since I Left You is my number 1, that shit is seminal. Last year's album just didn't cut it.
OK Computer I was into as a young fellas, just couldn't do Kid A

I'm computer illiterate so can't do any of that fancy embed shit but here's my list.

The Go! Team - Thunder Lightening Strike
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
The Shins - Chutes too Narrow, and Wincing the Night Away
Modest Mouse - Good News for People who love Bad News

Plenty more, I love music but those were just the few off the top of my head
ATKpilot99
2/26/2017 9:08am
No particular order

Queen- A Night at the Opera
Yes-Drama
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Honorable mention- Kiss- Alive.
Yes it was a live album but it was one of my favorites from my childhood and it's success spawned a trend of double live albums from other bands in the 70s
JAFO92
2/27/2017 5:55am

ATKpilot99 wrote: Honorable mention- Kiss- Alive.

Yes it was a live album but it was one of my favorites from my childhood and it's success spawned a trend of double live albums from other bands in the 70s

While I love that LP, bought one when it first came out (with the original Bogey label) it really wasnt 'Live' at all once the final mix was crunched down to 2-track. Well excepting the drums. Most all of it was re-recorded in a stadium and dubbed in along with much of audience sound as well. (Kramer was a magician) Also, IMHO the LP 'Alive!' didnt really spawn anything, the whole live and double-live LP thing had been going on for many years with great success and Aucion/Bogart were both about to go broke. After the three attempts at studio work didnt result in any substantive success they figured they would jump on the live-album bandwagon as a hail-mary attempt at getting some money in before the Casablanca ship sank completely. That release truly was bonafide "all in" roll of the dice for everyone involved and it saved the label, manager and the band.

Artists and bands had been doing live stuff since the late 60s, Johnny Cash did very well with both his 'Prison' live LPs in the late 60s, the Stones did 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!' in '70 along with Steppenwolf. The Allman Brothers scored HUGE with 'At Fillmore East' in summer of 1971, James Gang did a live LP then also. Elvis and a few other guys up the ante bigtime of the live-album success thing with 'Elvis -as recorded at- Madison Square Garden' that rolled out summer of '72 and Neil Diamond scored equally as huge with 'Hot August Night' a few months later in December, '72. Now those two LPs made waves! Folks who were around will certainly remember how big a deal both those were. (hell I still spin Hot August Night even now)

With those two making the record-label bosses filthy rich, the studios really started looking into getting all their signed acts/bands to do a Live or Double-Live LP. Elvis cranked out 'Aloha from Hawaii ~ Via Satellite' (which BTW was a very big deal for its time as it was the first time a single live performer was bounced around Earth live - showcasing the whole space/satellite cutting edge technology) And later 'Live in Memphis' in 1974. Bob Seger recorded his 'Live Bullet' at the same time that KISS were recording their 'Alive!' shows (summer '75), but took longer in post production and didnt release til April '76. Peter Frampton ( as we all know kicked everyones ass in the live LP department) recorded his shows the same summer as KISS and Seger, but waited til January '76 to release and sold more LPs than everyone before him combined.

If you are ever curious about the live LP trend of the early-to-late 70s (that KISS finally joined mid decade) check out these Wiki links, everyone from Sergis Mendez and Miles Davis to The Osmonds were doing it.

Just click the links for each year at the top of the page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1970_live_albums

FWIW, here is my copy of that LP ! Lotsa miles on this one. Cool

Post a reply to: Best albums, any genre

The Latest