Baseball fans -- this whole Houston Astros scandal is more interesting that I thought.....

APLMAN99
So I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, and from just reading the headlines I thought that the sign stealing was just one of the "unwritten rules" being broken. But after reading a little about it, this is actually huge it sounds. As in, they were using hidden cameras to steal signs then using sounds to alert their batters as to what pitch to expect huge.

If this gets proven, I could see them "losing" their World Series title from 2017 but what really makes me wonder is if there could be some sort of lawsuit against them by the sports books and the like to offset any losses they suffered because of the cheating. That could be billions, potentially, and might even end up with some criminal fraud charges against folks. Just a thought.
|
rhargrave431
11/15/2019 3:39pm
In Steve Matthes recent podcast with Chris Betts, he mentions doing that. He said they whistle, clap, shuffle, etc to alert tipped pitches or signs.
peelout
11/15/2019 3:55pm
my coach used to grab his balls, yank his crotch, dig in his ass, etc to tell us the calls. i thought it was genius at the time.

turns out he had a few STD's at the same time for about 5 years straight
borg
11/15/2019 4:03pm
If they used a camera or even binoculars from outside the playing field then shit needs to come down hard. If players on the field pick off signs it's one thing but somebody off the field relaying info, that's really bad. It's hard to believe that they were actually doing that. No way to keep that a secret for long. Not the way players change teams these days. I really do hope that they were not using a camera or some other device. It would change the way I think about pro baseball players and sportsmanship.
BMSOBx2
11/15/2019 5:01pm
borg wrote:
If they used a camera or even binoculars from outside the playing field then shit needs to come down hard. If players on the field pick...
If they used a camera or even binoculars from outside the playing field then shit needs to come down hard. If players on the field pick off signs it's one thing but somebody off the field relaying info, that's really bad. It's hard to believe that they were actually doing that. No way to keep that a secret for long. Not the way players change teams these days. I really do hope that they were not using a camera or some other device. It would change the way I think about pro baseball players and sportsmanship.
Didn't they accuse Belicheck and the Patriots of doing that one year?

The Shop

BMSOBx2
11/15/2019 5:02pm
peelout wrote:
my coach used to grab his balls, yank his crotch, dig in his ass, etc to tell us the calls. i thought it was genius at...
my coach used to grab his balls, yank his crotch, dig in his ass, etc to tell us the calls. i thought it was genius at the time.

turns out he had a few STD's at the same time for about 5 years straight
LaughingLaughingLaughing
borg
11/15/2019 5:10pm
borg wrote:
If they used a camera or even binoculars from outside the playing field then shit needs to come down hard. If players on the field pick...
BMSOBx2 wrote:
I remember something like that but nothing came of it apparently. I remember when a running back was tipping his hand by leaving his chinstrap undone when he wasn't going to get the ball. The defense picked up on it and benefited. But to me, that's not really cheating.
11/15/2019 5:30pm
borg wrote:
BMSOBx2 wrote:
borg wrote:
I remember something like that but nothing came of it apparently. I remember when a running back was tipping his hand by leaving his chinstrap undone...
I remember something like that but nothing came of it apparently. I remember when a running back was tipping his hand by leaving his chinstrap undone when he wasn't going to get the ball. The defense picked up on it and benefited. But to me, that's not really cheating.
Spygate 2007. Unauthorized filming to steal defensive signals.

If proven about the Astros, that’d be nuts.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
11/15/2019 6:50pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
borg wrote:
I remember something like that but nothing came of it apparently. I remember when a running back was tipping his hand by leaving his chinstrap undone...

Yes and the Patriots were fined and lost multiple draft picks. The jets head coach at the time was a former Patriots assistant and tipped the league off.
SwingHard
11/15/2019 9:07pm
A couple of years ago the Red Sox were caught and find for this very thing,they used Apple watches to help them steal signs. In turn they ratted out the Yankees for using a YES (Yankee entertainment sports) T.V. camera in center field with a monitor hidden in the dugout,MLB could not prove the Yankees did anything wrong.
MLB put all teams on notice, if any team is caught for this, MLB is gonna drop the hammer,HARD!!
It will be interesting how this plays out.
mxtech1
11/16/2019 5:47am
Take a look at their batting average splits between home and away. I think Altuve was something like 400ish at home and ~137 on the road....hahaha
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
11/16/2019 5:59am
Baseball is still a thing?

To me, this is dumb. I’m blown away people actually care about this. Remove all of the people that are involved with the signs and let the players actually play the game. The better players would/should win then.
borg
11/16/2019 6:02am
BMSOBx2 wrote:
borg wrote:

Thanks. Obviously something did come of it. I'd forgotten the details.
SwingHard
11/16/2019 8:45am
mxtech1 wrote:
Take a look at their batting average splits between home and away. I think Altuve was something like 400ish at home and ~137 on the road....hahaha
Well in this year's World Series the Astros lost 4 games at home and won 3 in DC!
ATKpilot99
11/16/2019 8:58am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, and from just reading the headlines I thought that the sign stealing was just one...
So I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, and from just reading the headlines I thought that the sign stealing was just one of the "unwritten rules" being broken. But after reading a little about it, this is actually huge it sounds. As in, they were using hidden cameras to steal signs then using sounds to alert their batters as to what pitch to expect huge.

If this gets proven, I could see them "losing" their World Series title from 2017 but what really makes me wonder is if there could be some sort of lawsuit against them by the sports books and the like to offset any losses they suffered because of the cheating. That could be billions, potentially, and might even end up with some criminal fraud charges against folks. Just a thought.
If it is proven if you mean vacating the title and just have no champion for that year I agree. Awarding it to the other team would ring hollow in my opinion
TXDirt
11/16/2019 9:42am
Strange how the Astros lost all four home games if this cheating was going on. Or did they only do it the World Series they won but not this last World Series?

Would it be hard to enforce a rule of no electronic devices and televisions in the dugout?

Can’t the refs walk over anytime and see this supposed television?

How much does sign stealing help? I get it’s an advantage. But just how much of one? You still have to hit the ball. When a batter is locked in are they really listening to a sound or signal mere second before a pitch. Almost seems like that would be terribly distracting.
G-man
11/16/2019 9:59am
Crazy stuff yeah I agree how can a batter focus on hitting a 95 mile an hour fastball if he's trying to get an edge on a sign from The Dugout?

Yeah I'm old school some of this modern baseball stuff I don't agree with.

The defensive shift really brings down a lot of potential hits and men on base. I think they should limit them from going across 2nd base either way.

I've also never really understood having the catcher get the pitch sign from the dugout.

I would think the catcher would know more than anybody on what the best pitch that the pitcher can throw at that time and what not to throw.

SwingHard
11/16/2019 10:20am
TXDirt wrote:
Strange how the Astros lost all four home games if this cheating was going on. Or did they only do it the World Series they won...
Strange how the Astros lost all four home games if this cheating was going on. Or did they only do it the World Series they won but not this last World Series?

Would it be hard to enforce a rule of no electronic devices and televisions in the dugout?

Can’t the refs walk over anytime and see this supposed television?

How much does sign stealing help? I get it’s an advantage. But just how much of one? You still have to hit the ball. When a batter is locked in are they really listening to a sound or signal mere second before a pitch. Almost seems like that would be terribly distracting.
As a hitter if know what pitch is coming,fastball & location or, off speed & location it is a HUGE advantage! Example,runner on second lifts right foot twice,off speed pitch,lifts right foot once fastball. Nobody on base,on deck batter, "hit it hard Altuve", saying last name means fastball,saying first name,off speed pitch, just a couple of examples how they might communicate.
SwingHard
11/16/2019 10:31am
G-man wrote:
Crazy stuff yeah I agree how can a batter focus on hitting a 95 mile an hour fastball if he's trying to get an edge on...
Crazy stuff yeah I agree how can a batter focus on hitting a 95 mile an hour fastball if he's trying to get an edge on a sign from The Dugout?

Yeah I'm old school some of this modern baseball stuff I don't agree with.

The defensive shift really brings down a lot of potential hits and men on base. I think they should limit them from going across 2nd base either way.

I've also never really understood having the catcher get the pitch sign from the dugout.

I would think the catcher would know more than anybody on what the best pitch that the pitcher can throw at that time and what not to throw.

You are so right about Shifts,they are Bullshit! This off season MLB will discuss getting rid of them!
And you are right again about Catchers,the Catcher is the QB on a baseball field and should know how to navigate a line up and call a game. Unfortunately most coaches at the amateur level dont know how to teach this or they wanna be in charge of calling the game and relaying it to the Catcher. Scouting Directors tell Scouts, be Gentle when evaluating the Catcher it's not his fault!

Post a reply to: Baseball fans -- this whole Houston Astros scandal is more interesting that I thought.....

The Latest