Bands you want to see before they retire

71Fish
2/15/2015 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 12:04pm
I saw AC/DC in 1984ish in Shreverport, LA. I would like to see them again before they call it quits.

I've seen Iron Maiden 8 times going back to 1985. They are all in their 50's now so the past two times I saw them I thought it may be the last. I hear they are in the are recording a new album, so hopefully there will be another tour. I'VE travelled out of state to see them and will do it again.

ZZ Top, saw them in Germany twice in the 90's and would like to see them before they retire.

I just joined the Def Leppard fan club so I can get pre-sale tickets when they go on sale this week for their summer tour. I've seen them maybe 5 times. I missed last year when they came and have been Jonesing.

Metallica.
|
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
2/15/2015 10:20pm
going to foo fighters and rise against on saturday night, hopefully that will not be the last time for either,

saw AC/DC about 5 years ago and it was quite epic,

Def Leppard would be awesome to see as well, and i have not seen Mettillica since the late 90's,

I have not seen NOFX live, and would love to,

the good thing about onlune sales killing the revenue of Album sales is that the bands now tour more,
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
2/15/2015 10:46pm
Korn. Not really a huge metal fan, but I just really like to listen to them.
Spydee
2/16/2015 1:38am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 1:39am
Unwritten Law - I spoke to the band members back in the MySpace days pleading for them to come to the UK on tour, but they replied saying they didn't have enough support to make it over here.

Breaking Benjamin - The vocalist is afraid of flying, so they don't leave the States. (man up FFS).

Alice in Chains - My bro saw them a few months ago as they were playing just down the road from me. I had no idea about it, and wasn't impressed my bro didn't invite me along.

Shinedown. Mad Season. Jimmy Eat World. Queens of the Stone Age. Apulanta. Paramore. I guess I'd be interested in seeing these lot.

Foo Fighters, The Offspring, Rise Against, Muse, Deftones, Slipknot... Some of the memorable gigs I've attended in the past decade.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
2/16/2015 6:50am
If you haven't seen the Foo Fighters you're in for a treat! WHen they played Everlong I had chills down my spin. Weezer is another band I highly recommend.

The Shop

71Fish
2/16/2015 6:58am
Jarid332 wrote:
If you haven't seen the Foo Fighters you're in for a treat! WHen they played Everlong I had chills down my spin. Weezer is another band...
If you haven't seen the Foo Fighters you're in for a treat! WHen they played Everlong I had chills down my spin. Weezer is another band I highly recommend.
Is that because you're a huge Foo Fighters fan, or was it a great show? I'm on the fence about them honestly. Talented as can be, but something doesn't grab me about them.
Spydee
2/16/2015 7:29am
Whether you love or hate their music. Dave Grohl is an amazing human being - a real showman and entertainer. I guarantee you will come out of there absolutely buzzing, and it'll be nothing compared to any other gig.

My parents have seen them three times to my two, and my Dad isn't even a fan of their music, but he always credits the Foo's for putting on an awesome show and connecting with the audience.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
2/16/2015 8:07am
Jarid332 wrote:
If you haven't seen the Foo Fighters you're in for a treat! WHen they played Everlong I had chills down my spin. Weezer is another band...
71Fish wrote:
Is that because you're a huge Foo Fighters fan, or was it a great show? I'm on the fence about them honestly. Talented as can be...
Is that because you're a huge Foo Fighters fan, or was it a great show? I'm on the fence about them honestly. Talented as can be, but something doesn't grab me about them.
It was just a great show! I like the foo fighters but I'm a punk rock kid at heart so I can't say I'm a die hard Foo Fighters fan. But the show was fantastic.
sende
Fantasy
4320th
2/16/2015 8:13am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 8:14am
I'm going to see AC/DC for the first time next summer when they come to Finland. Can't wait.
IWreckALot
2/16/2015 8:18am
AC/DC is on my list along with Red Hot Chili Peppers. I also really want to see Avenged Sevenfold. I hear they put on a great show. They came to Arlington Stadium and I passed on the opportunity and I've regretted it every since. Tool and Foo Fighters are up there as well.
2/16/2015 8:57am
Electro21 wrote:
Korn is really amazing. I saw them a couple years ago. They were playing with a different drummer at the time named Ray Luzier and he was amazing. I was mesmerized by his drumming the whole time.
GMalzee
2/16/2015 9:16am
I have mixed feelings about seeing old bands late in their career. When I was in high school I saw The Who on their 25th anniversary tour in 89. It was all right but they seemed old back then. Now they are touring again, I can't even imagine how bad that will be. Maiden is one I want to see again, they have kept themselves in great shape. I am going to see U2 in May but their music lends itself to aging better than harder rock. I was considering seeing Motley Crue for their last tour but when I looked at the prices they were asking I couldn't believe it. Maybe I'm getting old but I can't justify a Costco trip worth of money to see a bunch of aged rockers sound like crap. I am really hoping for a Seattle grunge tour or festival of some sorts though. I think what it boils down to is how well the bands have taken care of themselves as to whether they would be worth seeing or not.

hvaughn88
2/16/2015 10:17am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 10:17am
I'm a country guy, so I wanna see garth brooks. My sister and her husband went when he came here and had nothing but great things to say about his energy and the performances. On a side note, one show that really surprised me was Trans Siberian Orchestra. I was actually not excited about going and now I've gone back to see them multiple times. Regardless of your musical preference, I would highly suggest going. They have something for everyone and the "show" aspect is awesome.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
2/16/2015 11:14am
blue cheer
IWreckALot
2/16/2015 11:23am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm a country guy, so I wanna see garth brooks. My sister and her husband went when he came here and had nothing but great things...
I'm a country guy, so I wanna see garth brooks. My sister and her husband went when he came here and had nothing but great things to say about his energy and the performances. On a side note, one show that really surprised me was Trans Siberian Orchestra. I was actually not excited about going and now I've gone back to see them multiple times. Regardless of your musical preference, I would highly suggest going. They have something for everyone and the "show" aspect is awesome.
I saw the Trans Siberian Orchestra in Houston a few years back. They have some extremely talented guitarists. I was the same as you. About half way through I found myself really digging it all. I'd like to take my wife to see them either this year or next.
2/16/2015 11:57am
I would rather have a time machine then see bands past their prime with one exception....Rush. They always seem to bring it no matter how old they are.
TailSoHard
2/16/2015 1:15pm
I would rather have a time machine then see bands past their prime with one exception....Rush. They always seem to bring it no matter how old...
I would rather have a time machine then see bands past their prime with one exception....Rush. They always seem to bring it no matter how old they are.
I would also throw Paul McCartney and Peter Frampton in there as well. I've seen all three of them and all three far exceeded my expectations. Peter Frampton is a better guitar player now than he has ever been before. Absolutely blew me away (and I wasn't even a fan before I went to see him, that's how good the show was).

I saw Ted Nugent and although I'm a huge fan (and a fellow Michigander), I don't think I'll go see him again. Same goes for Aerosmith, REO, and Styx.

Going to see Primus in March. I can't friggin wait!!

And Rush later this summer. Again. They never get boring.
jamma10
2/16/2015 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 2:21pm
I'd always wanted to see the Stones before it was too late. My old man went to their famous concert at Hyde Park in 1969 so it was quite fitting that 50 years later I managed to get a ticket to the anniversary concert in 2013. The ticket cost me $150, while the 1969 concert was free... worth it just to hear the opening riff of Jumping Jack Flash and Gimme Shelter after drinking all afternoon though.

Would genuinely love to see ZZTop! Eliminator was a favourite album of mine when I was a kid, along with MJ's BAD... I've always had quite and eclectic taste.

As a teenager I was really into Green Day and had a ticket to go and see them in 1995 or 96? Unfortunately they cancelled and I've had a niggling need to make up for that ever since. Trouble is I don't like anything they've done post Nimrod in 1997, so Im not sure I'd enjoy it. I opted out of seeing the Offspring for the same reason.

Pearl Jam were also a favourite band of mine as a teenager and they remained on my 'Must See' list for a long time after I stopped listening to them. I finally got to see them about three or four years ago expecting it to be a one-off-deal kind of thing, but they were so good I've promised myself I will try and go to see them everytime they tour over here. Saw them play a three hour outdoor set last summer which was fantastic. Like a Foo Fighters gig there always seems to be a really good, unifying atmosphere at a PJ concert. Maybe because like me everyone is (drunkenly) reminiscing about their youth!

I considered getting tickets for Fleetwood Mac this year but there weren't many tickets left and I couldn't justify the expense to sit right up in the nose bleeders.

I'd like to see Nile Rogers and Chic play live sometime, Pink Floyd, and if they should ever get their act together... Led Zep.
2/16/2015 2:19pm
I've seen a lot of bands...Rolling Stones was my favorite. Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Maroon 5, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park all put on great shows. I just saw Papa Roach and that show was number 2 behind the Stones. Rammstein and Cake are two bands I would like to see. I may catch Slipnot over in Pa.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
2/16/2015 3:55pm
jamma10 wrote:
I'd always wanted to see the Stones before it was too late. My old man went to their famous concert at Hyde Park in 1969 so...
I'd always wanted to see the Stones before it was too late. My old man went to their famous concert at Hyde Park in 1969 so it was quite fitting that 50 years later I managed to get a ticket to the anniversary concert in 2013. The ticket cost me $150, while the 1969 concert was free... worth it just to hear the opening riff of Jumping Jack Flash and Gimme Shelter after drinking all afternoon though.

Would genuinely love to see ZZTop! Eliminator was a favourite album of mine when I was a kid, along with MJ's BAD... I've always had quite and eclectic taste.

As a teenager I was really into Green Day and had a ticket to go and see them in 1995 or 96? Unfortunately they cancelled and I've had a niggling need to make up for that ever since. Trouble is I don't like anything they've done post Nimrod in 1997, so Im not sure I'd enjoy it. I opted out of seeing the Offspring for the same reason.

Pearl Jam were also a favourite band of mine as a teenager and they remained on my 'Must See' list for a long time after I stopped listening to them. I finally got to see them about three or four years ago expecting it to be a one-off-deal kind of thing, but they were so good I've promised myself I will try and go to see them everytime they tour over here. Saw them play a three hour outdoor set last summer which was fantastic. Like a Foo Fighters gig there always seems to be a really good, unifying atmosphere at a PJ concert. Maybe because like me everyone is (drunkenly) reminiscing about their youth!

I considered getting tickets for Fleetwood Mac this year but there weren't many tickets left and I couldn't justify the expense to sit right up in the nose bleeders.

I'd like to see Nile Rogers and Chic play live sometime, Pink Floyd, and if they should ever get their act together... Led Zep.
pearl jam was the first big band i ever saw live, it was my last year of high school in 1995 and it was awesome, they came out with the Finn brothers and did a cover of one of the Spilt Enz song I got you, i still to this day have never heard a crowd sing that loud,

have seen them twice since, incl last year, and they are still awesome live, and they had the Son of one of the Finn brothers perform a Pearl Jamb Cover,
jamma10
2/16/2015 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 5:46pm
Yeah they certainly know how to cater to the crowd. One of the great things about them is their willingness to play their most memorable songs in every set. Obviously they're interspersed with newer stuff, but they realise that half the crowd pays to see them play songs from Ten and Vs etc. While I perfectly understand bands who must get sick to death of playing the same old stuff for many years it's always a little sad when they can't hide their reluctance to play them on stage, because often those songs mean a great deal to people. Eddie Vedder still puts so much into singing a track like Black that it seems as though he's singing them for the first time and you can tell Mike McCready really fucking loves playing his guitar.

I'd have loved to have seen them play in the 90's though! Sounds a bit pathetic but when I saw them for the first time (2010 I think it was) I actually felt quite emotional when they walked on and kicked the show off with Rearvew Mirror. Im not a emotional person at all usually but I got such an intense hit of nostalgia.
wreckitrandy
2/16/2015 6:29pm
I've been a fan of KingsX since Out of the Silent Planet and have never seen them live. Tabor is a total guitar picking tone guru.
vetmxr
2/16/2015 6:39pm
I wish i'd made a better effort to see AIC before Staley died. Just saw the eagles for no other reason than to watch Joe do his thing. What a guitar player, love to watch him hammer his guitar. Just watched Grohl hammer the drums on an old paladia concert with Nirvana, man that guy is fun to watch, it must be fun to be him. He commits to the drums like few others. I don't go to many concerts anymore, the older I get, the more I avoid crowds. I'd go see Ratt in a second if they had all the original members. I guess thats why you should go watch them when they get close every time.....you never know...

Sean
MR. X
2/16/2015 6:40pm
One of favorite bands of all time is long gone , Shutdown. I've always been into the hardcore scene and most shows i see are small corner bar shows. Another band that rocks is Every time i die .
2/16/2015 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 9:37pm
In no particular order I need Rage Against the Machine to get back together to go on tour, I still need to see Tool, Iron Maiden would be cool, Queen would be amazing with Paul Rodgers, I would pay any amount of money to see that. I have to see Def Tones still too. I wanted to see Marilyn Manson when he was in town a little bit ago but tickets were too expensive. I think that about sums it up. Already saw Metallica, Mega Deth, Avenged Sevenfold, Trailer Park Boys, Motley Crue, Rob Zombie, Incubus, Stone Temple Pilots was good too. It almost sounded too good like it was prerecorded. I crowd surfed too when I was skinnier. That was awesome.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
2/16/2015 10:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 10:32pm
Electro21 wrote:
Korn is really amazing. I saw them a couple years ago. They were playing with a different drummer at the time named Ray Luzier and he...
Korn is really amazing. I saw them a couple years ago. They were playing with a different drummer at the time named Ray Luzier and he was amazing. I was mesmerized by his drumming the whole time.
He is still the current drummer and they have Head back now. Almost got to go see them last year, but I had to miss it. Was bummed. They recently did a pretty col cover of "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys with Slipknot.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
2/16/2015 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2015 10:33pm

Korn and Slipknot "Sabatoge" video

Electro21
Fantasy
66th
2/16/2015 10:36pm
In no particular order I need Rage Against the Machine to get back together to go on tour, I still need to see Tool, Iron Maiden...
In no particular order I need Rage Against the Machine to get back together to go on tour, I still need to see Tool, Iron Maiden would be cool, Queen would be amazing with Paul Rodgers, I would pay any amount of money to see that. I have to see Def Tones still too. I wanted to see Marilyn Manson when he was in town a little bit ago but tickets were too expensive. I think that about sums it up. Already saw Metallica, Mega Deth, Avenged Sevenfold, Trailer Park Boys, Motley Crue, Rob Zombie, Incubus, Stone Temple Pilots was good too. It almost sounded too good like it was prerecorded. I crowd surfed too when I was skinnier. That was awesome.
Pretty solid list. My favorites you listed are Rage Against the Machine and Tool.
Sully
2/16/2015 11:16pm
I've seen a lot of bands...Rolling Stones was my favorite. Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Maroon 5, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park...
I've seen a lot of bands...Rolling Stones was my favorite. Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, Maroon 5, Avenged Sevenfold, Linkin Park all put on great shows. I just saw Papa Roach and that show was number 2 behind the Stones. Rammstein and Cake are two bands I would like to see. I may catch Slipnot over in Pa.
I shot photos at a Five Finger Death Punch show a couple of months ago. It's not really my style of music, but their enthusiasm for playing to a military crowd was phenomenal.

Post a reply to: Bands you want to see before they retire

The Latest