Bad bear-spray experience today

Sierra Ranger
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2019 5:38am
I was up in the Tahoe Forest with my daughter today trying out her new little Specialized bike (she's 5). I'm on my Scott hard tail Everything is good, it's obviously mellow.
We stop so she can check out some dandelions and I get the idea I should at least see how this bear spray works.(I had one close encounter already and saw a mountain lion last year too) so I walk a few steps into the woods- she's maybe 10-15 feet behind me.
See where this is going? I aim it for this bush and give the trigger a squeeze- out poofs a huge cloud of noxious gas like a fire extinguisher. I was expecting a targeted stream of liquid, not a cloud.
Now if you have kids you know how fast they can move (my daughter basically runs everywhere including in the house all the time). Just then she darts around my right flank to see what's going on, and gets a little whiff in the face. Holy shit, I had no idea how nasty this shit is and how it hangs in the air and immediately drifts in the wind like nerve gas on a WWII battlefield.
She starts coughing and yeIling and rubbing her eyes so I start dousing her face with my water bottle (luckily we're right next to my truck and I have lots of water). I douse her face for a minute or two and she okay after a bit of crying. And I am feeling like a huuuge dick. She had no idea what happened but I explained and she says "It's okay, Daddy, don't be sad. " When I make mistakes with her I own up to it, but that was pretty high up on the list of Daddy fails- nothing worse than that kind of screw-up.
|
KMC440
7/14/2019 3:41am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 4:00am
Years ago that would've meant a trip to Farrell's Ice Cream parlor dad. You know what though she loves you and knows it wasn't on purpose, but be ready, in the future she'll bring it up to you every time she wants a new car. Laughing

Here's a thought... offer to be a bear on Halloween and she can carry around a fake can of bear spray, she can be Little Bo "get your butt away Bear" Peep.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/14/2019 8:47am
Ugh. Nothing worse than accidentally hurting or disappointing your kids. I once put too much oomph into a kick on my daughter's bouncy ball and it sailed over the fence. She just looked at me like, "well, I guess the world is officially ending now." No tears or anything; just plain sadness. Pinch
7/14/2019 9:00am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 9:36am
Rangerbro, one time I did something similar, but it was just me and the wife that got it. I had purchased a can of Sabre Red with CS gas and pepper spray in the can. I sprayed like a second's worth in my bathroom sink and it hit me instantly with the choking and snotting. My wife was in the bedroom and within five seconds she was choking too. We had to vacate the house!

I was surprised it hit me like that because I went through the usual boot camp training where you go into a room and they gas you, but I don't remember it being that bad. Also, I was 18...that might be the difference.
Sierra Ranger
7/14/2019 9:30am
Falcon wrote:
Ugh. Nothing worse than accidentally hurting or disappointing your kids. I once put too much oomph into a kick on my daughter's bouncy ball and it...
Ugh. Nothing worse than accidentally hurting or disappointing your kids. I once put too much oomph into a kick on my daughter's bouncy ball and it sailed over the fence. She just looked at me like, "well, I guess the world is officially ending now." No tears or anything; just plain sadness. Pinch
I know that look! My kid has just been saying "Daddy, don't ever spray that stuff around me again."

The Shop

Barrett57
7/14/2019 9:30am
Saw a pair of Chinese tourists spray each other with bear spray when I lived in Canada, dumb bastards thought that it worked like mosquito spray.
7/14/2019 9:34am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 9:44am
Next time YouTube how to use bear spray dad. Bush pilots won't let that stuff in the plane they have PVC tubes attached to the outside of the plane.
7/14/2019 9:37am
Barrett57 wrote:
Saw a pair of Chinese tourists spray each other with bear spray when I lived in Canada, dumb bastards thought that it worked like mosquito spray.
LaughingLaughingLaughing

Barrettbro, you slay me sometimes! Haha!
Sierra Ranger
7/14/2019 10:31am
Barrett57 wrote:
Grinning This shit is no nasty. If somebody sprayed this in your face it would be a world of hurt. It's worse than regular mace. I was still smelling it hours later.
Barrett57
7/14/2019 10:42am
:lol: This shit is no nasty. If somebody sprayed this in your face it would be a world of hurt. It's worse than regular mace. I...
Grinning This shit is no nasty. If somebody sprayed this in your face it would be a world of hurt. It's worse than regular mace. I was still smelling it hours later.
Yeah they didn't look like they had a good time 😂 The Chinese tourists consistently caused absolute carnage at the ski resort I worked at in the winter, I knew from experience there was no point in attempting to explain to them not to spray this awful shit designed to stop angry bears in each others faces. Some people are beyond help.
ohiomotoxer
7/14/2019 8:20pm
The boys in Alaska swear by a glock 20
NEVER BEAR SPRAY
Sierra Ranger
7/15/2019 9:33am
The boys in Alaska swear by a glock 20 NEVER BEAR SPRAY [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/14/360259/s1200_B42F9AE9_1EF5_4355_84CA_35A32D75F1F1.jpg[/img]
NEVER BEAR SPRAY
I don't see carrying a pistol on my hip while riding a mountain bike, but I guess cops do it.
Last summer I was just driving around on dirt roads up in the Sierras and just stopped at a scenic spot. I get out and I'm walking around until I get nervous about animals- it's dead quiet. So I get back in my truck and all of a sudden there is a ruckus in some bushes maybe 30-40 feet away. A damn bear jumps out and he is fighting with some freaking bird- the bear hightails it (they really do have golden fur). It's like the bird saw what was up and got in the bear's face- the weirdest thing. I couldn't believe how freaking quiet that bear was. I learned the lesson that you will not see a bear coming.
A few weeks later my battery went dead a couple miles from my house, so I leave my wife a message start walking. I go maybe a mile and half before she shows up and picks me up. We drive another 1/4 mile and see a mountain lion a bit off the road eating a kill. Glad she showed up when she did. This is a residential neighborhood with a lot of woods- full of deer, turkey, bears, a few big cats, snakes, and lizards.
zehn
7/16/2019 4:53pm
Dude wtf, are you kidding me. This ranks up there with the guy I saw spray himself because he dropped his can after he took the safety off because he was scared of running into a bear.
zehn
7/16/2019 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2019 5:02pm
The boys in Alaska swear by a glock 20 NEVER BEAR SPRAY [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/14/360259/s1200_B42F9AE9_1EF5_4355_84CA_35A32D75F1F1.jpg[/img]
NEVER BEAR SPRAY
A Glock 20 is an effective weapon against a black bear, and barely marginal against a brown/grizzly. Much more common bear guns are .44 Mag and .454 Casull. My personal preference is a 12 gauge slug Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

I will point out that studies and practical experience from myself and many others in the outdoor community show that bear spray is more effective and much more likely to work against a bear than any gun.

Life-long Alaskan. I've had my fair share of bear encounters. Hell, we ran into a sow and a cub yesterday while fishing the Kenai. I'll take a small and light can of spray over a pistol in almost any situation short of very thick and tall grass/alders. My buddies usually tote the gun around.

You're basically just showing off how ignorant you are RE: bear safety. You shouldn't ever find yourself in a situation where you need to use a gun against a bear. Proactive, preventive measures are 100% more effective bear deterrents than a gun, no matter how Johnny Rambo you think you are.
plowboy
7/16/2019 5:19pm
I ain't skeered of no bears. They wouldn't be able to catch me. They would drown in that river of shit I'd leave behind me.Woohoo
ohiomotoxer
7/17/2019 1:48am
NEVER BEAR SPRAY
zehn wrote:
A Glock 20 is an effective weapon against a black bear, and [i]barely[/i] marginal against a brown/grizzly. Much more common bear guns are .44 Mag and...
A Glock 20 is an effective weapon against a black bear, and barely marginal against a brown/grizzly. Much more common bear guns are .44 Mag and .454 Casull. My personal preference is a 12 gauge slug Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

I will point out that studies and practical experience from myself and many others in the outdoor community show that bear spray is more effective and much more likely to work against a bear than any gun.

Life-long Alaskan. I've had my fair share of bear encounters. Hell, we ran into a sow and a cub yesterday while fishing the Kenai. I'll take a small and light can of spray over a pistol in almost any situation short of very thick and tall grass/alders. My buddies usually tote the gun around.

You're basically just showing off how ignorant you are RE: bear safety. You shouldn't ever find yourself in a situation where you need to use a gun against a bear. Proactive, preventive measures are 100% more effective bear deterrents than a gun, no matter how Johnny Rambo you think you are.
Yeah okeedokee bubba
Try being out in remote areas where wildlife have not seen a human and try spray..
You r a nozzle!
7/17/2019 10:19am
NEVER BEAR SPRAY
zehn wrote:
A Glock 20 is an effective weapon against a black bear, and [i]barely[/i] marginal against a brown/grizzly. Much more common bear guns are .44 Mag and...

This is a 100% accurate 44s and 454 casulls are the standard but it's only good if it's right on a chest holster you can get to right away. You won't see fishing guide on the river without 12 gauge with slugs it's as standard as a fly rod over there. The bottom line is the best way to prevent any issues is to be Bear Aware.
77Moto
7/17/2019 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2019 12:43pm
You really have to go out of your way to have a problem with ANY wildlife. Last we saw a Mtn lion the wife said, "He's stalking us, he's looking right at us"

I said No, He's wondering why we are in his living room, and why we are stalking the deer he's actually looking at on the other side of the lake.
I told her, the cat is far more afraid of stinky humans than vice versa. And then of course the cat went on it's way.

Most attacks are city slickers who find a cub(bear or lion) or den and start fuckin around and momma comes home.

Brown bear problems are pretty rare, just give them their space, and black bear attacks are pretty much non existent. Black bears want nothing to do with humans. They want food. Not problems.

Here is how bad a typical black bear wants to get away when it sees a human. Watch the beginning close.

https://youtu.be/3vIwNyqIceE

zehn
7/17/2019 12:35pm
Yeah okeedokee bubba
Try being out in remote areas where wildlife have not seen a human and try spray..
You r a nozzle!
Right, the guy from Ohio who probably has never been to a "remote" Alaskan area is trying to tell me about bear safety.

I've done plenty of fly-out trips to remote lakes and rivers, I've been around bears. I have way more experience than you do and I'm the one that doesn't know what he's talking about? Yeah, ok dude.

FWIW bears that haven't ever seen humans or have barely been exposed to human contact are just as scared of us as we are of them. But please, keep spouting off your ignorant opinions. I'll continue being safe in the back-country of my home state of Alaska while you sit there in the Midwest and try to act like you know anything about bear safety 👍
zehn
7/17/2019 12:39pm
This is a 100% accurate 44s and 454 casulls are the standard but it's only good if it's right on a chest holster you can get...
This is a 100% accurate 44s and 454 casulls are the standard but it's only good if it's right on a chest holster you can get to right away. You won't see fishing guide on the river without 12 gauge with slugs it's as standard as a fly rod over there. The bottom line is the best way to prevent any issues is to be Bear Aware.
Thank you for knowing what you're talking about. If I take a gun, I keep it in a chest holster and my bear spray is on my belt holster. I know which one I'm reaching for first, and guess what, it isn't the one that goes bang.

Most people grossly over estimate their ability to draw the weapon, steady yourself, aim, and fire an accurate shot on a bear if it is within striking distance. A lot of guys have this fantasy that they're some Rambo type but the fact of the matter is that bears move so fast, and most people freeze when they see a bear. Even if you do get a shot off, chances are it isn't going to be a good hit and will just piss the bear off more, giving it a reason to actually attack you. Spray doesn't require an accurate shot. You just spray in the general direction and it does all the work for you.
Sierra Ranger
7/17/2019 2:02pm
77Moto wrote:
You really have to go out of your way to have a problem with ANY wildlife. Last we saw a Mtn lion the wife said, "He's...
You really have to go out of your way to have a problem with ANY wildlife. Last we saw a Mtn lion the wife said, "He's stalking us, he's looking right at us"

I said No, He's wondering why we are in his living room, and why we are stalking the deer he's actually looking at on the other side of the lake.
I told her, the cat is far more afraid of stinky humans than vice versa. And then of course the cat went on it's way.

Most attacks are city slickers who find a cub(bear or lion) or den and start fuckin around and momma comes home.

Brown bear problems are pretty rare, just give them their space, and black bear attacks are pretty much non existent. Black bears want nothing to do with humans. They want food. Not problems.

Here is how bad a typical black bear wants to get away when it sees a human. Watch the beginning close.

https://youtu.be/3vIwNyqIceE

A woman that got killed by a cat a few years back around here was walking down a trail and it pounced from a tree and killed her. In other words, she was just walking through the woods and a mountain lion killed her. So it does happen.
7/20/2019 5:38am
Barrett57 wrote:
Just spit out my coffee.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
7/20/2019 1:59pm
Was hiking in Yosemite when a ranger saw the bear spray on my pack, and told me if I wanted to keep it I should put it in my bag, because it isn't allowed in the park. Too many people had been treating it like bear OFF, spraying their campsite and kids with it. It was strongly suggested in Glacier and Banff.

Also, don't discharge it if it isn't at a bear. If you just spray the ground, it ends up attracting bears after the initial "spiciness" wears off a bit.

Post a reply to: Bad bear-spray experience today

The Latest