Australian Shepherd?

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
We lost our Athena this week. Been a pretty rough week here. Last weekend she
stopped eating so we took her to the emergency vet clinic Monday night. Well
after half the night there, she was bleeding out due to a torn tumor on her spleen.
We were on the hunt for a vet that could due the surgery for less than the 8K
estimated at the emergency center. We were already into it for $2k at that point.
Found an amazing vet in Temecula that did the surgery but 2 days later she passed.
Athena (German Shepherd) was born 9 years ago and had never spent the night
away from either my wife, son, daughter, or myself. Every dog we have ever had,
we say that dog is/was "the most awesome dog ever" because they are so integrated
into our family. This is the first time in probably 15 years that we are between furry
little ones.
I don't want the wife and kids to think I'm trying to replace Athena but really need to
do something about the quiet in the house. So, my thoughts are to go to a new breed
so the new dog is not compared to Athena the "most awesome dog ever" but a whole
new adventure in life.
Any advice on Australian Shepherds?
TM
|
akillerwombat
12/4/2016 8:08am
Sorry to hear that dude – we recently lost both our dogs. They grew up together, one passed, and about a week later the other one went as well... was tragically beautiful, like they were holding out for each other.

My mom has an Australian Shepherd and loves her. She runs a small farm so the dog has a lot to keep it busy / focus on otherwise I'm sure it would get a bit bored. But the dog is crazy loyal, super friendly, and very protective of the family.
eeazye
12/4/2016 8:13am
Sorry to hear man. Sincerely. I just took my lack lab in to get tumors removed. They said they were fatty and not cancer, but eff that, money was no option. Dropped a mint but he's the closest living being to a kid I'll ever have.

I cant imagine your loss. Another pup to share your journey with will ease your sorrow and give you a whole new outlook. Thank your family member Athena for sharing her earthly journey with your human family. She'll understand.

I had an Aussie mix years ago, and she was a dynamo. Make sure you have lots of room and time to exercise an Aussie. The flip side is they are a very loving breed. You can't go wrong if you have the time and space to let her run.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/4/2016 9:58am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2016 10:10am
I got a aussie shepard/dingo about 6 months ago as a puppy. One evening last week my son and I were commenting about him sleeping with his tennis ball by his side. He wasnt sleeping. I have no idea what happened (no possibility of foul play). But I have since learned that they do have some genetic sudden death issues. Im not an expert and that is what I have heard but by no means is that the gospel. Needless to say, it sucked to lose him.

I also have a GSD and he is just incredible. Aussie was different than GSD. Im not sure if Ive been any help but something to look into.
vetmxr
12/4/2016 2:17pm
kzizok wrote:
I got a aussie shepard/dingo about 6 months ago as a puppy. One evening last week my son and I were commenting about him sleeping with...
I got a aussie shepard/dingo about 6 months ago as a puppy. One evening last week my son and I were commenting about him sleeping with his tennis ball by his side. He wasnt sleeping. I have no idea what happened (no possibility of foul play). But I have since learned that they do have some genetic sudden death issues. Im not an expert and that is what I have heard but by no means is that the gospel. Needless to say, it sucked to lose him.

I also have a GSD and he is just incredible. Aussie was different than GSD. Im not sure if Ive been any help but something to look into.
That sounds like a terrible experience, especially with kids around......our dogs are treated like family....

The Shop

twnorton
12/4/2016 4:24pm
I have a 3 month old aussie. He is a ball of energy. Super smart and loving. Great pupper. Planning on having him run birds for me. He will do great. This is my first aussie so we are still learning every day!

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
12/4/2016 8:58pm
Thanks everybody,
So here is a pic of Athena on last Birthday (9). Great shape, hardly any grey
for 9 years and just lightning fast. So unexpected. At least when dogs slow
down you start thinking about them being gone and prepare yourself.

This is Sydney, she will be 8 weeks tomorrow. She came home with us today.
The family has mixed emotions about another dog so fast but I think it's a good distraction.

TM
12/4/2016 9:05pm
I have a ausie border collie mix with a little bit of healer mixed in we think, never had a test done to confirm. Couldn't ask for a better dog... I've heard ausies can be a tad bit on the aggressive side and it shows in her once in a while but it is never directed towards us, only people she thinks are threatening. It's true they have tons of energy but also the smarts to match. Another upside is they usually live well into their teens. Really sorry to hear about your loss

With our new addition to the family

Hman144
Fantasy
714th
12/5/2016 8:46am
We have two. First one is a 3 year old spayed female, and the second is a 3 month old male. Our girl is fantastic- very loving and smart. Herds chickens- no lie. She loves people and did I mention smart? Gets along with our two cats as well. Not much of a guard dog. Too loving. Loves to play.

The pup has a little something other than Aussie in him I think- his ears stand up. But he's great and a bundle of energy. Chases our girl around quite a bit and like to chew on her. She's very patient and is starting to like to play with him. He's learning his limits and jobs quickly.

I read where you have to keep them busy or they'll get naughty. That's not really been our experience with our girl, but then she is outside quite a bit and can keep herself busy when we aren't able to. We'll see about the pup- right now he's either WFO or sleeping.

Based on our experience they're great.
IWreckALot
12/5/2016 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 12:42pm
I love my aussie mix. She's such a cool dog especially when she got out of the puppy stage. Now she just chills when we want her to. She loves that damn tennis ball though. I hit about 3 of them when I have to mow every time.

S.Loyer
12/5/2016 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2016 3:41pm
First off I am sorry for your loss. Those dogs are something.

My ex has one, I rasied him since he was a pup He's two now. I miss him a lot and get to see him here and there (On good terms with ex) he's an amazing caring and smart dog, I dont see myself not getting one when time comes.

Homey55
12/6/2016 10:25am
We have an Australian Shepherd/Brittany Spaniel...they are good dogs!

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/6/2016 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 7:24pm
Get a new puppy as soon as possible, you are not replacing Athena you are just extending the happiness of your family and the next lucky dog to be part of the family and if you like the breed stick with it. I have had 4 female Dobermans over the last 40 years and we have all filled each others lives with happiness.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
12/7/2016 12:31pm
Those are some great pictures everybody. We have been very consumed with the new little one.
She is great, what did you guys do about them wanting to bite everything with their sharp little teeth?
She sometimes wants to just bite any and everything during certain times of immense energy.
I don't want to punish her for things like that, we try the distraction method and try to get her to play
with a toy instead but wow, sometimes she is like a little shark snapping and wanting to play tug-of-war
with any piece of your clothing she can snatch.
Lastly, this is the first puppy that wants to eat everything off the ground, yes she has eaten rocks,
how do you deter that?
She just turned 8 weeks so we have been introducing her to many people a day to socialize her but the
vet does not want us to introduce her to other dogs till she has a good Immune system (about 16 weeks old)
Well healthy dogs that we know are OK but not dog parks that we don't know who she will interact with.
TM
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/7/2016 1:56pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Those are some great pictures everybody. We have been very consumed with the new little one. She is great, what did you guys do about them...
Those are some great pictures everybody. We have been very consumed with the new little one.
She is great, what did you guys do about them wanting to bite everything with their sharp little teeth?
She sometimes wants to just bite any and everything during certain times of immense energy.
I don't want to punish her for things like that, we try the distraction method and try to get her to play
with a toy instead but wow, sometimes she is like a little shark snapping and wanting to play tug-of-war
with any piece of your clothing she can snatch.
Lastly, this is the first puppy that wants to eat everything off the ground, yes she has eaten rocks,
how do you deter that?
She just turned 8 weeks so we have been introducing her to many people a day to socialize her but the
vet does not want us to introduce her to other dogs till she has a good Immune system (about 16 weeks old)
Well healthy dogs that we know are OK but not dog parks that we don't know who she will interact with.
TM
Sounds like every puppy ever.
12/7/2016 2:06pm
Well with my dog I was pretty tough on her when she was young... Spanking, slapping her nose, tugging the leash but also using my voice while doing those things and it really didn't take her long to understand what she was and wasn't allowed to do. She tore through all her toys the first year but we always threw then away when she got to the stuffing and again, she was smart enough to figure out that if she wanted to keep them, she couldn't tear them apart. She's three now and all it takes is a stern voice to set her straight so imo, some good discipline when they're young goes a long way. Along with that though I really took the time to teach her new things, obviously sit, lay down, stay... But also shake, high five, walks without a leash and making her heel (she finds offense to leashes at this point) throwing the ball and making her wait for my command before she got it. The more I taught her, the faster she picked things up. They're smarter than the average dog, take advantage of it
JustMX
12/7/2016 7:21pm
my girlfriend got one to replace a 10 year old aussie that climbed in an open truck door without anybody noticing when they closed the door. wasn't good.

we got a replacement shortly thereafter and she is just the best little dog.

They do require a bunch of activity. I bought a tennis racquet at a garage sale because I cant throw tennis balls far enough for her.

When I don't have time to play with her she has learned to carry the ball up a hill and let it roll and bats it with her paws. she can do that for hours.

She is very smart and great around the kids that frequent my GF's boarding stable. she has only been aggressive with the coke man that comes to restock the machine and a few other men that she sees as a threat for some reason.

she has some quirks. she wakes up in the morning and scratched so much she gets to panting. if that doesn't wake me up then she comes and paws me from the edge of the bed wanting out. did I say this is usually around 5 am.

we are getting a shock collar for her soon as she has started going up to the neighbors chicken coop. and she runs back down to our house when she sees us heading up there.

just an awesome little dog.
twnorton
1/23/2017 8:01am
Any update to this thread? Here is my pup,just graduated his first class. He is 19 weeks old right now. He has so much energy.He is teething like crazy right now too.
MR. X
1/23/2017 8:09am
twnorton wrote:
Any update to this thread? Here is my pup,just graduated his first class. He is 19 weeks old right now. He has so much energy.He is...
Any update to this thread? Here is my pup,just graduated his first class. He is 19 weeks old right now. He has so much energy.He is teething like crazy right now too.
Nice , I took our dog to a few classes when he was a pup. Best money I ever spent on a dog ,he can full on chasing a squirrel, rabbit,deer ,anything ,you yell his name and that fucker stops dead and returns . Sits at road crossings behind you. Here he is doing what I believe he was born to do.

gabrielito
1/23/2017 11:11am
ToolMaker wrote:
We lost our Athena this week. Been a pretty rough week here. Last weekend she stopped eating so we took her to the emergency vet clinic...
We lost our Athena this week. Been a pretty rough week here. Last weekend she
stopped eating so we took her to the emergency vet clinic Monday night. Well
after half the night there, she was bleeding out due to a torn tumor on her spleen.
We were on the hunt for a vet that could due the surgery for less than the 8K
estimated at the emergency center. We were already into it for $2k at that point.
Found an amazing vet in Temecula that did the surgery but 2 days later she passed.
Athena (German Shepherd) was born 9 years ago and had never spent the night
away from either my wife, son, daughter, or myself. Every dog we have ever had,
we say that dog is/was "the most awesome dog ever" because they are so integrated
into our family. This is the first time in probably 15 years that we are between furry
little ones.
I don't want the wife and kids to think I'm trying to replace Athena but really need to
do something about the quiet in the house. So, my thoughts are to go to a new breed
so the new dog is not compared to Athena the "most awesome dog ever" but a whole
new adventure in life.
Any advice on Australian Shepherds?
TM
Man I've been there with my last dog. He tore his ACL, had surgery, got infected, two more surgeries, then once his knee started doing better he tore his achilles on his good leg that was not repairable so we had to put him down. Over $10,000 in all.

Australian Shepherds are good dogs. Though, If you like GSD I wouldn't not get one because your last dog was one. It will have a different enough personality. My dog that died was a male and we got a female to have a bit of a change.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
1/24/2017 6:22pm
They are amazing dogs. If you love them and teach them they will not disappoint you. By far the highest energy pup I have seen and they do love to be "mouthy".

1/25/2017 9:18pm
This is Bert, my family's third Aussie. Just picked him up last week. About a year ago, we lost our last one, Gus, after fourteen action packed years.

They are terrific dogs that require careful attention because of how smart they are.

Bert is eight weeks old and has been chomping like an alligator. I guess it's due to the pain of teething.

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
1/25/2017 9:56pm
We are having the best time with Sydney. But wow are there challenges. She is very smart and wants to be in charge. We start classes on Saturday.
I have lots of pics and stories but have to wait till posting from computer. I will say these dogs are not for everyone, you need a lot of patience and energy and time for them.
TM
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
1/25/2017 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2017 10:23pm
My wife wanted a dog and we went to go look at an miniature Australian Shepard, we met the guy at a jack in the box he brought the only one he had left and the little guy looked rough. Me feeling sorry for the little guy gave in plus I don't think the wife would have let me leave with out him. A few good meals and few trips to the vet to get his skin conditions he had lined out, due to the conditions he was living in, he's been a great dog. Although there is nothing mini about him Fender is a 60 pound lap dog, that's the biggest baby you'll ever meet. He's super active which some times makes him a great running partner aside from his ADD when we get close to the tennis courts, those dang green balls get him every time, as long as you keep the Aussie with stuff to do and lots of toys you won't have to worry about them tearing your stuff up.

When he was a puppy.

Texas heat was rough on him this year!

Post a reply to: Australian Shepherd?

The Latest