Aussie Slang / Banter

Dropbear
7/4/2019 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 5:47pm
Slightly off topic, but it is interesting how some Aussie’s pick up an American accent quickly like Reed and some not at all like Matt Mladin. I spent a year in Cali and people said I’d picked an accent when I got home up even though I couldn’t notice it. it quickly dispersed.
7/4/2019 5:52pm
Dropbear wrote:
Slightly off topic, but it is interesting how some Aussie’s pick up an American accent quickly like Reed and some not at all like Matt Mladin...
Slightly off topic, but it is interesting how some Aussie’s pick up an American accent quickly like Reed and some not at all like Matt Mladin. I spent a year in Cali and people said I’d picked an accent when I got home up even though I couldn’t notice it. it quickly dispersed.
What about Roczen? You'd be hard pressed to figure his first language is German.
Dropbear
7/4/2019 6:04pm
Dropbear wrote:
Slightly off topic, but it is interesting how some Aussie’s pick up an American accent quickly like Reed and some not at all like Matt Mladin...
What about Roczen? You'd be hard pressed to figure his first language is German.
I think a lot Euros speak English with a slight American influenced accent because of the media. Most English speaking films and TV are American and probably less from UK. I’ve spoken with Swedes in Europe in English ( the only language I know, and the Australian version at that 😀) and definitely US influenced.
Deja New
7/4/2019 6:15pm
If you say, rise up lights, it sounds like razor blades with an Aussie accent.
if you say Beer can in a Jamaican accent it sounds like Bacon both very yummy Smile

The Shop

Dropbear
7/4/2019 6:18pm
Deja New wrote:
if you say Beer can in a Jamaican accent it sounds like Bacon both very yummy Smile
But Rastas don’t eat meat or drink beer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deja New
7/4/2019 6:18pm
Dropbear wrote:
Dropbear wrote:
I think a lot Euros speak English with a slight American influenced accent because of the media. Most English speaking films and TV are American and...
I think a lot Euros speak English with a slight American influenced accent because of the media. Most English speaking films and TV are American and probably less from UK. I’ve spoken with Swedes in Europe in English ( the only language I know, and the Australian version at that 😀) and definitely US influenced.
Only the northern Euros the rest well not so much.... Listen to Rossi do a speech or anyone from Switzerland they sound like they are singing.
Dropbear
7/4/2019 6:19pm
Dropbear wrote:
I think a lot Euros speak English with a slight American influenced accent because of the media. Most English speaking films and TV are American and...
Deja New wrote:
Only the northern Euros the rest well not so much.... Listen to Rossi do a speech or anyone from Switzerland they sound like they are singing.
Yeah, that’s true
Deja New
7/4/2019 6:25pm
Deja New wrote:
Dropbear wrote:
But Rastas don’t eat meat or drink beer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wouldn't want a Rasta GF that don't eat meat Wink
Dropbear
7/4/2019 6:31pm
Deja New wrote:
They can chew but just don’t swallow.
Deja New
7/4/2019 6:33pm
Deja New wrote:
Dropbear wrote:
They can chew but just don’t swallow.
id give that 5 thumbs up if i could, fuckin cracker at work and i may or may not have LOLed a wee bit....
SEEMEFIRST
7/14/2019 7:47am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2019 7:48am
We have a word in the south that even confuses other Americans.

"Fixin' , it means preparing to do something.

"I'm fixin' to eat".
"I'm fixin' to go".

And the mother of all: "I'm fixin' to get ready". = Preparing to prepare.
JAFO92
7/14/2019 8:54am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
We have a word in the south that even confuses other Americans. "Fixin' , it means preparing to do something. "I'm fixin' to eat". "I'm fixin'...

"I'm fixin' to eat".
"I'm fixin' to go".

Wink

Foghorn
1/22/2020 1:13pm
Reminds me of Newfoundland and Labrador here in Canada. A tame sampling of Newfinese without a lot of the dirty stuff.

Newfinese 101
Newfoundland has some fun and unique phrases with a language of its own. If you’ve ever wondered what some of the phrases heard around the rock mean, here’s a crash course of the Newfoundland dialect, typically known as Newfinese.

Best Kind - I’m doing great

Deadly - Something that is great!

Shag It - Forget it

How’s ya gettin’ on me old cock - How are you doing, my friend?

Loves it - I love it

Yes B’y - something said in Newfoundland instead of yes, ok, that’s great, etc. This one could mean many things.

Who knit ya? - Who are your parents?

Froze da det - I’m very cold

I dies at you! - You make me laugh

Put da side back in ‘er - Close the door

Got ‘er Scald - Got it pretty good

You got me drove - Your are annoying me

Nar bit nice - That’s nice

Cookin’ up a scoff - Cooking a big meal

Lodge it down b’y - Put that down

Some marnin' dis marnin' - It’s a nice morning

Me nerves is shot! - I’m stressed out

Stun as me arse - Not very smart

Me 'ole trout - An an old friend (or sometimes a new one)

Come from away - a visitor or traveler to Newfoundland who comes to visit.

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of fun Newfoundland sayings you may hear while around the rock, Newfoundlanders also tend to drop the H in words and even add an H where it's not required such as:

Ome - Home

Ard - Hard

What's ya hat - What are you at (doing)?

How's ya gettin' hon? - How are you doing?

Hafter - after

Hawful - awful
jemcee
1/22/2020 10:16pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
We have a word in the south that even confuses other Americans. "Fixin' , it means preparing to do something. "I'm fixin' to eat". "I'm fixin'...

"I'm fixin' to eat".
"I'm fixin' to go".

JAFO92 wrote:
;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/14/360118/s1200_ID.jpg[/img]
Wink

"I.D. is of course short for identification... I is short for I... And D for dentification"

Haha that's a Norm MacDonald joke! Makes me fucken laugh haha
1/25/2020 11:31pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
Largie ‒ 750ml Bottle of Beer. "I just finished me largie, now I'm drinking cheap wine." Tallie ‒ See Above Turps ‒ Alcohol "I'm on the...
Largie ‒ 750ml Bottle of Beer. "I just finished me largie, now I'm drinking cheap wine."

Tallie ‒ See Above

Turps ‒ Alcohol "I'm on the turps." These came to mind because, I did, and I am.
Absolutely no cunt in Australia says largie mate
Deja New
1/26/2020 2:12am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2020 2:13am
EZZA 95B wrote:
Largie ‒ 750ml Bottle of Beer. "I just finished me largie, now I'm drinking cheap wine." Tallie ‒ See Above Turps ‒ Alcohol "I'm on the...
Largie ‒ 750ml Bottle of Beer. "I just finished me largie, now I'm drinking cheap wine."

Tallie ‒ See Above

Turps ‒ Alcohol "I'm on the turps." These came to mind because, I did, and I am.
Absolutely no cunt in Australia says largie mate
Ezza does Smile And he’s not a cunt
Gworm
1/26/2020 10:48am
Funny timing. I saw this thread right after I met a flight crew that had a plane in maintenance in Wichita the same time as ours. I couldn’t understand any of what they were saying till I read thru this.

I had to go back and kick the crap out of them.

Just kidding. They were great guys. Flew for an aeromedical company called Jet City, out of either Melbourne or Sydney, can’t remember.
jemcee
1/26/2020 7:54pm
Deja New wrote:
Ezza does Smile And he’s not a cunt
Ummm yeah he's not.. but he's not, not a cunt either though haha
Drop-Bear
1/28/2020 6:36pm
Deja New wrote:
A couple we used today at the track..... Gumby - Uncoordinated / idiot “mate you’re as Gumby as” / “see that? What a Gumby” Bingle -...
A couple we used today at the track.....

Gumby - Uncoordinated / idiot “mate you’re as Gumby as” / “see that? What a Gumby”

Bingle - Accident “crickey See the bingle on the start straight”

Buckleys - No chance “he’s got Buckley’s chance of catching up after that bingle.”

Come a Gutsa - Crash “fark dude just come a gutsa big time.”
Do you know how the saying "Buckley's chance" came about?
Drop-Bear
1/28/2020 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/28/2020 6:52pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
"Fall in a bucket of shit, and come out smelling like a rose". "Nervous as a whore in church". "Nervous as a long tailed can in...
"Fall in a bucket of shit, and come out smelling like a rose".
"Nervous as a whore in church".
"Nervous as a long tailed can in a room full of rocking chairs".

"Ugly as a tub of buttholes"
"Ugly as a mud fence"

"The boss is going to show up with a bucket of buttholes and shit on everyone"

"Hotter than a dog's breath in August"
"Hotter than a fox in a forest fire"

"Sharp as a sack of wet mice"
"His family tree looks like a Johnson grass stalk"
"Useless as a Nun in a brothel"

"Tighter than a Nuns cunt"

"Ugly as a hat full of ass holes"

"As funny as a fart in an elevator"

"You wouldn't shout if a fucken shark bit ya"

"I'm so hungry I could eat the crutch out of a low flying duck"

"The ducks nuts" = awesome

"Mickey Mouse" = fucking grouse, which means fucking awesome. That's Victorian. AKA, Mexican. Just for the record, most people from Q.L.D and N.S.W don't actually have the Intelligence to understand why they call us Mexican. Irony, ya gotta luv it!

blah blah blah
Barrett57
6/24/2020 2:30am
Dropbear wrote:
Same as when I came back from Aus, everyone said my accent changed.
Deja New
6/24/2020 2:34am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2020 2:36am
Dropbear wrote:
Barrett57 wrote:
Same as when I came back from Aus, everyone said my accent changed.
That’s because you unconsciously mimic those you talk too.... then start to sound like them.
Like when I’m ordering Indian food I start talking in an Indian accent :p
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/24/2020 3:05pm
Deja New wrote:
And most important Ocker or Occa - Aussie that uses all the slang I’m this thread is one Ocker mofo. And on the subject of traveler...
And most important

Ocker or Occa - Aussie that uses all the slang I’m this thread is one Ocker mofo.

And on the subject of traveler

Crack a fat - get an erection. “Mate she’s so hot I’d crack a fat seein her all nuddy.”
I did joint service with the AUS Army and became quite fluent in Aus slang including the military sub-dialect, LOL.

You guys referenced a "Traveler" as a friction boner from driving and "Crack a Fat" as an erection. The Army guys used a phrase "riding fat" for the erection you get when riding along half asleep in the back of an army truck. They also used a variant "boredom fat" for the boredom boner you get from just sitting around over relaxed.

A few others I didn't see in this thread...

Crack the Shits = to get pissed off or lose your temper
Giving me the Shits = describes anything or anyone that is going to cause one to Crack the Shits
Have a lend (of me, of someone..etc) = to pull someones leg or play a prank or joke on them
Spit the dummy = (Spit out your pacifier) Throw a tantrum like a baby
Deja New
8/11/2023 7:26am

A bump might help some in the moto relates with sanda over sando and other Aussie lingo 

Post a reply to: Aussie Slang / Banter

The Latest