Aurora/SR-72/SR-91 ?

CR-Dude4
8/24/2022 5:19pm
Old post. I learned that the folks at Area 51 have stuff under wraps that would make Star Bores spacy ships look like bottle rockets. Now that cool. Unfortunately, they will have to kill you before they could tell. LOL! Expect to see one take to the air every 10 years.
G-man
8/31/2022 4:02pm
G-man wrote:
Can you imagine being an Engine Mechanic on this bad boy!!??:woohoo: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/14/564033/s1200_FB_IMG_1660271490425.jpg[/img]
Can you imagine being an Engine Mechanic on this bad boy!!??Woohoo

So here's one of the guys that actually did work on those impressive Pratt and Whitney engines.
He's a design engineer and a good storyteller.
Around the 17 minute mark he talks about the 2 Buick 400 Wildcat engines they used to start the P&W's. Woohoo

I guess they used to go through them pretty quick and they could never get enough of them in supply and had to settle with some Ford engines.
He also talks about how whatever the pilots did was closely monitored and recorded so they could not lie about anything they did as it was downloaded, my gawd this was designed in the sixties so far ahead of its time!

https://youtu.be/MJrXUh0eZjw

Impressive quick short on the windows.
https://youtube.com/shorts/gIySIpToVrQ?feature=share

Money
9/24/2022 10:04pm
CR-Dude4 wrote:
Old post. I learned that the folks at Area 51 have stuff under wraps that would make Star Bores spacy ships look like bottle rockets. Now...
Old post. I learned that the folks at Area 51 have stuff under wraps that would make Star Bores spacy ships look like bottle rockets. Now that cool. Unfortunately, they will have to kill you before they could tell. LOL! Expect to see one take to the air every 10 years.
Would love to know what goes on there
G-man
9/28/2022 9:37am
SR 71 saves on fuel by going supersonic,

This incredible photo of a SR-71 being refueled in mid-air was taken by Sgt. P.A. Tubridy in 1988.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 Those engines burned upwards of 44,000 pounds of fuel each hour, making refueling every 90 minutes a necessity.

Making that number even more impressive is that, due to what’s known as the ramjet effect (air and fuel compressing at supersonic speeds), Blackbirds became more fuel efficient at speeds above Mach 2.0, and typically covered about 2,500 miles in that 90 minutes.Thank you KC-135Q

The Shop

G-man
10/29/2022 10:11am
This is the SR 71‘s older sibling.
I can see the JP7 fuel leaking. All of the Blackbirds leaked. SR- 71 and its family members were so far ahead of technology during that time no sealant was able to perform without breaking due to the extreme temperature change. It was not a design flaw.
The Skunk Works was so advanced that the rest of the world had not yet caught up with its ideas. The fuel was messy but not flammable. I know of a few pilots that used to smoke cigarettes in the cockpit just as soon as they can get their gloves off.

YF 12 was armed with Hughes AIM 47A missiles
Kelly Johnson‘s invention was never used operational.
At one point General Curtis LeMay proposed that the Skunk Works build 100 of the YF 12s during the Cold War!
You can see the only remaining YF-12 at the Museum of the Air Force Wright Patterson, Ohio
~ written by Linda Sheffield Miller~ Habubrats SR 71
SEEMEFIRST
10/29/2022 10:44am
G-man wrote:
This is the SR 71‘s older sibling. I can see the JP7 fuel leaking. All of the Blackbirds leaked. SR- 71 and its family members were...
I can see the JP7 fuel leaking. All of the Blackbirds leaked. SR- 71 and its family members were so far ahead of technology during that time no sealant was able to perform without breaking due to the extreme temperature change. It was not a design flaw.
The Skunk Works was so advanced that the rest of the world had not yet caught up with its ideas. The fuel was messy but not flammable. I know of a few pilots that used to smoke cigarettes in the cockpit just as soon as they can get their gloves off.

At one point General Curtis LeMay proposed that the Skunk Works build 100 of the YF 12s during the Cold War!
You can see the only remaining YF-12 at the Museum of the Air Force Wright Patterson, Ohio
Wasn't part of the reason the fuel leaked was due to gaps intentionally left in order to compensate for expansion of the surfaces?
G-man
10/29/2022 11:02am
G-man wrote:
This is the SR 71‘s older sibling. I can see the JP7 fuel leaking. All of the Blackbirds leaked. SR- 71 and its family members were...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Wasn't part of the reason the fuel leaked was due to gaps intentionally left in order to compensate for expansion of the surfaces?
Yes👍
G-man
5/12/2023 11:22pm

This would have been a top secret photo back in the day in the 60's.FB IMG 1683947897517.jpg?VersionId=tu0jtxMt vnlyTmf4

Post a reply to: Aurora/SR-72/SR-91 ?

The Latest