Aurora/SR-72/SR-91 ?

TeamGreen
4/14/2022 5:35am
Yes, from what I recall, the F-35 program is the most expensive military project in history, including even the Manhattan project! And like you mentioned, the...
Yes, from what I recall, the F-35 program is the most expensive military project in history, including even the Manhattan project! And like you mentioned, the F-35 was somewhat of a step back from the f-22. About the B-21, I read somewhere that there are already 2 of them in flight testing. I wonder how it will compare to the B-2. I see that the RCS of the B-2 is 0.0001m2, which is the size of a bumble bee, whereas the B-21 is projected to have the RCS of a mosquito. Wild
TeamGreen wrote:
Get this... Because the F35 is sooo far behind it's original schedule...by literally over a decade... It's avionics/comm's suites are far better than they would have...
Get this...

Because the F35 is sooo far behind it's original schedule...by literally over a decade...

It's avionics/comm's suites are far better than they would have been IF it had been on time Grinning
Even it's engines are benefiting from the super extended schedule.

But, back when the 22 was in full production, we could have had 500 of them & there legit Gen 5 Air Superiority Capability.

That's FIVE HUNDRED...

For less than what the 1st 250 F35s are going to cost.

People hit Wiki or read a few articles and think the've got a "real" understanding of what these things cost. They don't. F22 (YF22 X1) development was done in the 1980s...yes, The 80s...(1st flight in the summer of '90). Development Flts began in early '91. A dollar in the 90s bought a whole lot more than it does now. An F22's true fly away cost is substantially less than a 35s. Most politicians don't want to address that. There's sooo much ADDITIONAL R&D and "other" program costs on F35 that they try their best to leave out...but, there are those that keep tabs on al of it and it is BAD. 30 years of BAD. Yup, I 1st saw Advanced Strike Fighter (Later "Joint ASF") program proposals at the tail end of of A/F X that was a Navy program that dies in the early 90s. THIRTY YEARS AGO we were spending money on the 35!

All in, with ALL the Cost Over-Runs, Delays, Program Changes...etc. The true cost of an F35, especially "to date"...as in right now..is over TWICE that of the F22. If they don't build ALL the 35s that they say they are? Well, then an F35 will amortize out even WORSE.

So, ya probably think I'm one of those ANTI 35 guys? Helllll NO! We need to build the living shit outta them and get them out there. I'm just blown away by how naive and outright WRONG the Obama administration was and I have a really hard time NOT believing there were other stupid motives behind the decision.

Other than drone/UAV development, the Obama administration was a whole lot of fail when it comes to force support and systems development.

Again, a rant.

My bad.

But, it's only because I love this stuff. I've been out to see "Beo-Wolfe" on more than a few occasions. Since the this bird has actually integrated all the Bloc 3F+ improvements...it's quickly become "very capable" and can now be flown a bit more "loose"...and that's how she flies it...Fast and Loose. She's LETHAL in this bird.

So, we've got that goin' for us. Which is nice.

Go see her when you can.
That's a pretty interesting back story. I totally understand the more of them produced, the lower the overall price per plane goes down. Funny thing is...
That's a pretty interesting back story. I totally understand the more of them produced, the lower the overall price per plane goes down. Funny thing is, while I was reading that, before you said "other motives" I was thinking that someone was getting their pockets lined from pushing the F 35, or someone had "interests" in one of the suppliers to f 35 parts. I don't know if you've read Ben Rich' autobiography, but the last chapter talks about spending and the military industrial complex, and how out of control it is, and that was in the 90s. Didn't when Trump was in office, Obama had the new Air Force Ones ordered, and Donald canceled them, until they lowered the price for the tax payer because spending was just ridiculous?
Obama kept Gates as Sec Def, a man that had proven, during Bush (he was HIS SecDef and Obama kept him) that he was a VERY "finger in the air" kind of guy. That has proven to be a REALLY BAD thing in a SecDef. Look at that idiot that fed our kids to Nam, McNAMara...he proves my point: SecDefs need to have conviction.

Gates seem to buy in to Obama's "Less Guns, More Butter" BS. THAT...that is how they went at the F22 program and used absolute lies to justify the 35 (their 35 numbers were an absolute LIE).

Sad, when you think about it.

But, again, since then...and due to the rapid progress and development of avionics, comms, AN/APG/AAQ and other systems form the 35 program that are/can be applied to the 22...? Well, that's turning out to be a good thing.

Food for thought about the age of a lot of this tech or it's origins: the 22's computer language was based in Ada and the 35's is C++...that's kinda hilarious! Bringing ALL of our modern fighting systems into a common language for the sake of fast and effective or, if you will, "Real Time Information Exchange" between all fighting platforms...that's a huge part of the 'spend' in a lot of this. Sounds crazy, right? But, SOOOOO important. Read up on Link 16. Good stuff.
rhargrave431
4/14/2022 9:44am
TeamGreen wrote:
Get this... Because the F35 is sooo far behind it's original schedule...by literally over a decade... It's avionics/comm's suites are far better than they would have...
Get this...

Because the F35 is sooo far behind it's original schedule...by literally over a decade...

It's avionics/comm's suites are far better than they would have been IF it had been on time Grinning

But, back when the 22 was in full production, we could have had 500 of them & there legit Gen 5 Air Superiority Capability.

That's FIVE HUNDRED...

People hit Wiki or read a few articles and think the've got a "real" understanding of what these things cost. They don't. F22 (YF22 X1) development was done in the 1980s...yes, The 80s...(1st flight in the summer of '90). Development Flts began in early '91. A dollar in the 90s bought a whole lot more than it does now. An F22's true fly away cost is substantially less than a 35s. Most politicians don't want to address that. There's sooo much ADDITIONAL R&D and "other" program costs on F35 that they try their best to leave out...but, there are those that keep tabs on al of it and it is BAD. 30 years of BAD. Yup, I 1st saw Advanced Strike Fighter (Later "Joint ASF") program proposals at the tail end of of A/F X that was a Navy program that dies in the early 90s. THIRTY YEARS AGO we were spending money on the 35!

All in, with ALL the Cost Over-Runs, Delays, Program Changes...etc. The true cost of an F35, especially "to date"...as in right now..is over TWICE that of the F22. If they don't build ALL the 35s that they say they are? Well, then an F35 will amortize out even WORSE.

So, ya probably think I'm one of those ANTI 35 guys? Helllll NO! We need to build the living shit outta them and get them out there. I'm just blown away by how naive and outright WRONG the Obama administration was and I have a really hard time NOT believing there were other stupid motives behind the decision.

Other than drone/UAV development, the Obama administration was a whole lot of fail when it comes to force support and systems development.

Again, a rant.

My bad.

But, it's only because I love this stuff. I've been out to see "Beo-Wolfe" on more than a few occasions. Since the this bird has actually integrated all the Bloc 3F+ improvements...it's quickly become "very capable" and can now be flown a bit more "loose"...and that's how she flies it...Fast and Loose. She's LETHAL in this bird.

Go see her when you can.
That's a pretty interesting back story. I totally understand the more of them produced, the lower the overall price per plane goes down. Funny thing is...
That's a pretty interesting back story. I totally understand the more of them produced, the lower the overall price per plane goes down. Funny thing is, while I was reading that, before you said "other motives" I was thinking that someone was getting their pockets lined from pushing the F 35, or someone had "interests" in one of the suppliers to f 35 parts. I don't know if you've read Ben Rich' autobiography, but the last chapter talks about spending and the military industrial complex, and how out of control it is, and that was in the 90s. Didn't when Trump was in office, Obama had the new Air Force Ones ordered, and Donald canceled them, until they lowered the price for the tax payer because spending was just ridiculous?
TeamGreen wrote:
Obama kept Gates as Sec Def, a man that had proven, during Bush (he was HIS SecDef and Obama kept him) that he was a VERY...
Obama kept Gates as Sec Def, a man that had proven, during Bush (he was HIS SecDef and Obama kept him) that he was a VERY "finger in the air" kind of guy. That has proven to be a REALLY BAD thing in a SecDef. Look at that idiot that fed our kids to Nam, McNAMara...he proves my point: SecDefs need to have conviction.

Gates seem to buy in to Obama's "Less Guns, More Butter" BS. THAT...that is how they went at the F22 program and used absolute lies to justify the 35 (their 35 numbers were an absolute LIE).

But, again, since then...and due to the rapid progress and development of avionics, comms, AN/APG/AAQ and other systems form the 35 program that are/can be applied to the 22...? Well, that's turning out to be a good thing.

Food for thought about the age of a lot of this tech or it's origins: the 22's computer language was based in Ada and the 35's is C++...that's kinda hilarious! Bringing ALL of our modern fighting systems into a common language for the sake of fast and effective or, if you will, "Real Time Information Exchange" between all fighting platforms...that's a huge part of the 'spend' in a lot of this. Sounds crazy, right? But, SOOOOO important. Read up on Link 16. Good stuff.
You've obviously studied this. Lol. Great info!
TeamGreen
4/14/2022 10:36am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 10:46am
TeamGreen wrote:
Obama kept Gates as Sec Def, a man that had proven, during Bush (he was HIS SecDef and Obama kept him) that he was a VERY...

You've obviously studied this. Lol. Great info!
As far as my career goes, I grew up in it and other Lockheed programs that were deeply invested in composites. YF22 was a GREAT step forward in composite materials development.

The materials that they all "thought" they were going to use or were going to be the next-best-thing...weren't! (AFR700)

But, they caused us to have to go in and IMPROVE existing materials AND make things like shelf-life and recertification more viable. Before all this, we threw away A LOT of good material due to BS shelf-life specs and REALLY POOR logistics/prod-control of material at the customer/user level.

So, believe it or not...

Money Saving Technologies came out of the YF22 program. Grinning

And that's one of the many benefits that the 35 program inherited.

Interesting FAIL-Fact: the HUGEST material specification problems in BOTH programs almost ALWAYS involved...
Metals...like Ti forging/tensile specs...bad alloys in turbine blades...bad alloys in the fan-shaft of the 35B...etc.
G-man
4/14/2022 11:40am
"REALLY POOR logistics/prod-control of material at the customer/user level."

Oh yea it still goes on at the Procurement Level. The Buyers we have are straight out of college and don't have a clue or any common sense at all.

Ex: Some of the parts they purchase and I inspect don't have the REQUIRED CERTIFICATION sent with the part. Then I have to waste time trying to get it from said buyer and it can be an on-line ping pong match. 🙄
If they can't come up with the proper documentation then I have to spend more time and reject the part take photos blah blah blah blah more time and $$ wasted.

Then the part(s) are sent back to the supplier and we don't have the required parts to put on the aircraft. More time and $$ wasted. Angry

Ex 2: Instead of procuring the part directly from the manufacturer sometimes it goes through 2 or 3 other suppliers and each time the price goes up!

There was a recent part that cost $100 right from the manufacturer.
Now it went thru two other suppliers by the time we received it had gone up to $900!

And people wonder why military and aircraft parts cost so much money.....

Bunch of so-called-educated nimrods if you ask me. Sick

The Shop

rhargrave431
4/14/2022 4:47pm
Really cool "insider" and educated info guys! I love topics like this. Non Moto is the best section on Vital. You never know who is lurking.
TeamGreen
4/14/2022 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2022 6:32pm
Really cool "insider" and educated info guys! I love topics like this. Non Moto is the best section on Vital. You never know who is lurking.
Ya know, it’s funny, it was just my job. That’s all. There were people…hell, there are plenty of people that are waaaay deeper into it than I am. I really and truly tried to walk away from ALL of it in the 1st week of 1995 and focus on “just” my company.

But, the people I worked for…there…at Lockheed…some of whom were VERY instrumental in me leaving and truly focusing on my “own projects”…they kept me within “hearing range” of what was goin on and managed to keep me interested: I worked with AMAZING people.

Nowadays it’s a symposium for material sciences or participation in a white-paper or a study for a “program improvement” that keeps me, somehow, continuously getting back into it.

No worries. I love this stuff and the people that utilize these systems.
PBRvince
Fantasy
1960th
4/19/2022 7:52pm
Northrop Grumman manufacturing engineer here. The B-21 is for sure needed with an aging bomber fleet. The B-2, is still top dog. For now at least...Spent about 5 years on B-2 as an aircraft mechanic and a flight ops tech. Loved working on it, truly one of a kind and there is only 20 of them and I think I worked on either 16 or 17 of them.
Stay tuned for more B-21 updates, things are moving fast.
freeh
4/20/2022 4:18am
Love this thread! Thanks to all those who have contributed to it. I need to watch / read all of the recommended things listed. I work in aerospace, so this stuff really hits home in a good way.
G-man
4/24/2022 10:24am

This coming Monday, April 25, is the 60 year anniversary of the ‘unofficial first flight’ of the A-12. Lockheed’s Kelley Johnson always had an unofficial first flight without all the dignitaries present and the A-12’s was on April 25th 1962 with Lockheed test pilot Louis Schalk at the controls.
It did not go well. From what I have read it was really only supposed to be a high speed taxi and the bird was not supposed to get airborne. But it did get airborne and when it did all hell broke loose. Schalk held it low, about 20 feet off the ground, and it gyrated wildly until he was able to get it back on the ground. Kelley Johnson said “It was horrible to watch.” Once back on the ground it disappeared in a cloud of dust on the dry lake bed at Area 51.
Lockheed technicians discovered the cause and corrected it. The next day, April 26th, Schalk tried again and this time there were no control issues, but instead hundreds of the titanium plates covering the wings came off.Everyone of them had to be retrieved and glued back on the wings. This took a few days but on April 30th 1962 the A-12 made its official first flight in front of CIA and Air Force dignitaries. On its second flight in early May it went supersonic.
For most of 1962 the A-12 flew with P&W J75 jet engines instead of J58’s because P&W couldn’t get the new J58’s to perform to spec. Even with J58’s it still took over a year to work out all of bugs in the engine inlets.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/sr-71-blackbirds-predecessor-look…
TeamGreen
4/25/2022 1:56pm
Dbl Headed B model w/NASA tail markings…?
Homey55
4/29/2022 1:34pm
The U-2 is still out there testing, as well. We are also doing a lot with radar and coatings...see: F-15-EX for example. Interesting that the F-15 platform is considered over something new.
TeamGreen
4/29/2022 4:01pm
Homey55 wrote:
The U-2 is still out there testing, as well. We are also doing a lot with radar and coatings...see: F-15-EX for example. Interesting that the F-15...
The U-2 is still out there testing, as well. We are also doing a lot with radar and coatings...see: F-15-EX for example. Interesting that the F-15 platform is considered over something new.
The EX has substantial structural changes from both a design and materials standpoint(s). It's implied stealth capabilities are largely accomplished thru avionics/electronics.

It's gonna be a helluva program. It utilizes 2 P&W F135 engines. It's gonna shred.
G-man
5/13/2022 5:55pm
It's still hard to fathom this awesome aircraft was designed over 60 years ago with no computers. Woohoo
It never gets old looking at different angles of the Blackbird. Cool

Shawn142
5/14/2022 1:08am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2022 1:11am
TeamGreen wrote:
Get this...

That's FIVE HUNDRED...

Again, a rant.

My bad.

Go see her when you can.
Lockheed made the F-35 too big to fail by including other nationals in the development and production. Unlike the F-22 which only had one fickle customer, the F-35 started with 13 partner countries. So while it's the most expensive weapons system in history that cost has been spread out, and that makes entry into the program affordable for other countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, Germany, and now Canada. We now have over 800 active F-35s in service and the price point for an A-model has dropped below 80 million per. In the end we'll probably build over 4000 35s as the F-16/F-18 comes to the end of their service life.
G-man
5/15/2022 4:58pm
Mr Google knows I'm obsessed with the Blackbird, excuse me if I'm boring you cats? Unsure

During its 24 years of service, the SR-71 Blackbird gathered intelligence in some of the world’s most hostile environments. The Blackbird evaded all 4,000 missiles fired at it and, to this day, remains the only US Air Force (USAF) aircraft to never lose a crewmember associated with it; whether in the air or on the ground.

Holy Blackbird Batman!!!! Woohoo

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/did-you-know-that-the-sr-71-blackbird-w…
rhargrave431
6/2/2022 10:32am
Homey55 wrote:
Speaking of Spycraft...I had the pleasure of seeing this up close. It's an impressive aircraft, to say the least!

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33289/behold-these-awesome-shots-…
They are sweet planes. They fly up here where I live in Montana quite often doing touch and go landings. Same with the older version of it, the P-3 Orion.
6/2/2022 11:20am
G-man wrote:
Mr Google knows I'm obsessed with the Blackbird, excuse me if I'm boring you cats? :unsure: During its 24 years of service, the SR-71 Blackbird gathered...
Mr Google knows I'm obsessed with the Blackbird, excuse me if I'm boring you cats? Unsure

During its 24 years of service, the SR-71 Blackbird gathered intelligence in some of the world’s most hostile environments. The Blackbird evaded all 4,000 missiles fired at it and, to this day, remains the only US Air Force (USAF) aircraft to never lose a crewmember associated with it; whether in the air or on the ground.

Being a fellow SR71 nut I would like to correct the record:

On 25 January 1966 SR-71A (61-7952 / 2003) disintegrated in flight during a high-speed, high-altitude test flight. The failure of the airplane was the result of a violent engine Unstart. Lockheed test pilot Bill Weaver was thrown clear of the wreckage and survived. It is worth noting that he did not eject and his ejection seat never left the airplane. His Reconnaissance System Officer (RSO), Jim Zwayer, died in a high-G bailout. It is believed he died instantly from a broken neck before he ever became separated from the aircraft. His parachute opened normally and his body landed close to where Bill Weaver did.

G-man
6/8/2022 5:31pm
I really liked the opening scene of Top Gun where they showed the tail of the Darkstar and it had the infamous Skunk Works emblem.
Well it turns out they had a lot to do with the input of the aircraft and it's like a futuristic SR71.
I'm sure the legend, genius Kelly Johnson would be proud. Cool

https://youtu.be/6nSTLYBCW0E
SEEMEFIRST
6/8/2022 6:09pm
G-man wrote:
Mr Google knows I'm obsessed with the Blackbird, excuse me if I'm boring you cats? :unsure: During its 24 years of service, the SR-71 Blackbird gathered...

Being a fellow SR71 nut I would like to correct the record: On 25 January 1966 SR-71A (61-7952 / 2003) disintegrated in flight during a high-speed...
Being a fellow SR71 nut I would like to correct the record:

On 25 January 1966 SR-71A (61-7952 / 2003) disintegrated in flight during a high-speed, high-altitude test flight. The failure of the airplane was the result of a violent engine Unstart. Lockheed test pilot Bill Weaver was thrown clear of the wreckage and survived. It is worth noting that he did not eject and his ejection seat never left the airplane. His Reconnaissance System Officer (RSO), Jim Zwayer, died in a high-G bailout. It is believed he died instantly from a broken neck before he ever became separated from the aircraft. His parachute opened normally and his body landed close to where Bill Weaver did.

So he became detached from his seat?
That's pretty remarkable.
TeamGreen
6/9/2022 6:00pm
G-man wrote:
I really liked the opening scene of Top Gun where they showed the tail of the Darkstar and it had the infamous Skunk Works emblem. Well...
I really liked the opening scene of Top Gun where they showed the tail of the Darkstar and it had the infamous Skunk Works emblem.
Well it turns out they had a lot to do with the input of the aircraft and it's like a futuristic SR71.

The original concept for this dates back to the early 90s. If you've seen the movie, you know they did a really good job representing the necessary engine tech for that kind of a/c.

I really appreciated the Skunk on the tail! Grinning
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
6/10/2022 5:18am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
So he became detached from his seat?
That's pretty remarkable.
From what I've read, yes. The yaw forces ripped the web straps in pieces. When he came to, his visor was iced over and he couldn't see anything and pressure suit was inflated, saving his life.
A rancher with a helicopter saw the disintegration and was on site almost as he landed, and helped collapse the chute. . . Really a fascinating story, lots more to it..
G-man
6/10/2022 9:06pm
G-man wrote:
I really liked the opening scene of Top Gun where they showed the tail of the Darkstar and it had the infamous Skunk Works emblem. Well...

TeamGreen wrote:
The original concept for this dates back to the early 90s. If you've seen the movie, you know they did a really good job representing the...
The original concept for this dates back to the early 90s. If you've seen the movie, you know they did a really good job representing the necessary engine tech for that kind of a/c.

I really appreciated the Skunk on the tail! Grinning
Yep when you see the infamous Skunk on the tail of an Aircraft you know it's the baddest one in the world. Smile

Skunk Works R-12 course By Richard “Butch “ Sheffield

The course was taught on the top floor of the SW. The first four SR-71 Crews were present. They were Pilots Al Hichew, Robert “Grey” Sowers, Charles ”Pete” Collins, and John Storrie. RSO’s Coz Mallozzi, Tom Schmittou, Dave Dempster, and myself. Colonel’s Nelson and Haupt attended most of the time and sat in the back row. I was in awe of just being in the world-famous Skunk Works. So many wonderful aircraft had come out of these doors and here I was and I was scared that I would goof this up somehow. Little did I know that twenty years later I would represent this organization in the Nation’s Capital!

The SR-71 course (SW called it the R-12) was taught by a former Navy enlisted man. He did not know very much about our airplane. I believe he was on a loan from the Lockheed California Company to teach this course because the SW didn’t have anyone to teach and the management didn’t have the time. He told us if we had any questions that he could not answer, someone from the SW would come in during the break and answer them. Little did we know that the “someone” could be the world-famous founder of the SW, “Kelly” Johnson, or the next head of the SW, Ben Rich! Written by my Dad. Linda Sheffield Miller

Early on in the course, Kelly came in to answer a question. He went straight to the blackboard and covered it with mathematical formulas to explain why the question we asked worked on the SR. When he finished, he turned to us and asked, “Did you get it?” We all froze, and no one could speak or even think to question the aeronautical genius. He said nothing, did not greet us or shake our hands, just walked out. We soon learned that it was Kelly’s way to be direct, to be quick, and to the point without any frills or nice talk.

Ben Rich was totally different. He would come in, put us at ease, shake our hands, pat us on the back, and tell us jokes, then answer the question. One question we asked him was; why are the engines located where they are on the SR-71? He said the engine designers wanted the engines on the wing tips so they could get undisturbed air directly into the engine, the airframe designers wanted the engines located along the center of the aircraft for structural reasons. With a straight face, he said; if you notice, the engines are located exactly halfway between the wing tip and the fuselage. We didn’t know if it was a joke or not.

Most every day we would be given a tour of the SW and the production line of the SR-71 Program. I saw the aircraft I would be making my first flight in, 955, being put together. I had seen aircraft lines before, such as the B-58 & B-47. They were mostly assembly lines, putting the parts together, but the SR line was different, and they were building the aircraft from the ground up, making the key parts right there, in the SW. The forging of titanium alloys was the most impressive thing I saw.

After a few days at the SW, I began to reflect thinking upon what was going on in my life. Just two months earlier, I had been on alert in a “mole hole” at Little Rock as a B-58 Radar Navigator (RN), and now I was in Los Angles in the world-famous SW with the great weather and no alert in my plans. What a change in my life.

Never saw this one:

G-man
8/14/2022 8:58pm
Can you imagine being an Engine Mechanic on this bad boy!!??Woohoo

MXR
8/14/2022 9:05pm
I met Brian Schull at the museum of flight a few years ago he was in town for Seafair . Pretty interesting story he tells about the SR 71 . Check out my post about the Calvine photo revealed here in non moto .

Post a reply to: Aurora/SR-72/SR-91 ?

The Latest