Audiobooks

rhargrave431
9/5/2018 5:07am
I've been listening to Audiobooks for the past few weeks during my work day, which really helps pass the time. Do you all have any must read/listen books that I need to add to my list?
|
TXDirt
9/5/2018 6:21am
Steven King - 4 past midnight is a great audio book series.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/5/2018 7:44am
We did a road trip and listened to “to kill a mockingbird” ...sissy spacek (sp???) narrating

Also listened to “the girl on the train” and enjoyed it.

Not sure if they are on audio but I’ve been reading the “Killing” books and find them to be excellent. Read “killing Lincoln” and now on “killing Kennedy”
rhargrave431
9/14/2018 4:05am
KennyT wrote:
We did a road trip and listened to “to kill a mockingbird” ...sissy spacek (sp???) narrating Also listened to “the girl on the train” and enjoyed...
We did a road trip and listened to “to kill a mockingbird” ...sissy spacek (sp???) narrating

Not sure if they are on audio but I’ve been reading the “Killing” books and find them to be excellent. Read “killing Lincoln” and now on “killing Kennedy”
Thanks for the heads up. Finished Killing Kennedy yesterday, and it was a really good listen. I have always been fascinated with that horrible day, and I learned stuff in that book that I had no idea about.
500guy
9/15/2018 7:54pm
Do you like stories or more real life stuff like Killing Kennedy ?

You want a good one , "Killing the Flower Moon" it starts out slow but is fascinating and a true story.

Malcolm Gladwell has a few good ones, David and Goliath is good so is Outliers.

Thinking Fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman is excellent.

"Life" Kieth Richards Biography is real good and partially narrated by Johnny Depp

The Shop

500guy
9/15/2018 7:56pm
KennyT wrote:
We did a road trip and listened to “to kill a mockingbird” ...sissy spacek (sp???) narrating Also listened to “the girl on the train” and enjoyed...

You will really like Killing Patton.
500guy
9/15/2018 7:58pm
Sorry one last recommendation. not a true story but has a lot of truth to it and an accurate timeline.

"The Last day's of Night" was one of the best I've listened to. it's about Thomas Edison, Tesla and Westinghouse and the battle over the light bulb and AC vs DC power.
rhargrave431
9/16/2018 5:04am
500guy wrote:
Do you like stories or more real life stuff like Killing Kennedy ? You want a good one , "Killing the Flower Moon" it starts out...
Do you like stories or more real life stuff like Killing Kennedy ?

You want a good one , "Killing the Flower Moon" it starts out slow but is fascinating and a true story.

Malcolm Gladwell has a few good ones, David and Goliath is good so is Outliers.

Thinking Fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman is excellent.

"Life" Kieth Richards Biography is real good and partially narrated by Johnny Depp
Yeah I'm more into true stories. Some of the military ones are really good, I've read a bunch of those ones.
Killing Kennedy was great, trying to decide which in that series I want to listen to next.
500guy
9/16/2018 7:02am
Yeah I'm more into true stories. Some of the military ones are really good, I've read a bunch of those ones. Killing Kennedy was great, trying...
Yeah I'm more into true stories. Some of the military ones are really good, I've read a bunch of those ones.
Killing Kennedy was great, trying to decide which in that series I want to listen to next.
Killing Patton is it then.
rubarb
10/18/2018 7:01am
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
gabrielito
10/18/2018 7:57am
If you are doing audio books go for the big classics that take too long to read. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky is a great one.
netway20
10/18/2018 8:24pm
Try 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.
sende
Fantasy
4320th
10/19/2018 7:47am
Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson.
motosmith
10/19/2018 12:55pm
Whats the best software? Is Audible any good?
10/20/2018 9:31am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2018 9:32am
Red platoon !

Also listen to “shit town” it’s a podcast tho. But google it. It’s free. Awesome podcast. Some guy on a plane turned me on to it. Couldn’t step away from it.

I use audible app. Has a car mode. Makes it easy and less distracting to pause or rewind. Good app. Picks up immediately when you close the program. Never lose your spots.
rhargrave431
10/21/2018 9:49am
motosmith wrote:
Whats the best software? Is Audible any good?
Audible works very well for me. Maybe I'm way off, but it does seem a bit spendy. The average book on there is 14-20 dollars. But once a month you get a free credit that's part of your subscription. Over all, I enjoy it though.
I was recommended to listen to the "Killing" series. I started with Kennedy, and thought it was amazing. Next I did Patton, and now I'm onto Lincoln. All very good and must listen books.
gabrielito
10/21/2018 3:14pm
My local library has a decent selection through their website. Worth looking into just depends on the locale.
10/21/2018 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2018 3:47pm
As far as the cost goes.....I think it’s worth it. If
You listen to a lot you can get a monthly subscription from amazon that allows you almost anything. They’re clear and easy to follow. I have a hard time reading books. I get tired really quick and pass out. With the audiobooks on my way to work it passes the time. I have an hour drive one way. So I find myself utilizing this time for both fiction and non fiction. Gives me a more rounded look at life I think. Learning constantly. It’s better than listening to the same old AM news radio station. The News is just world politics, and the same issues regurgitated and it’s getting so old.....
plowboy
10/21/2018 4:07pm
As far as the cost goes.....I think it’s worth it. If You listen to a lot you can get a monthly subscription from amazon that allows...
As far as the cost goes.....I think it’s worth it. If
You listen to a lot you can get a monthly subscription from amazon that allows you almost anything. They’re clear and easy to follow. I have a hard time reading books. I get tired really quick and pass out. With the audiobooks on my way to work it passes the time. I have an hour drive one way. So I find myself utilizing this time for both fiction and non fiction. Gives me a more rounded look at life I think. Learning constantly. It’s better than listening to the same old AM news radio station. The News is just world politics, and the same issues regurgitated and it’s getting so old.....
My truck doesn't have a cassette player...can I still listen to audio books? Just joshing ya. I too have an hour drive to work and listening to something educational instead of aggregating or brain numbing sounds good to me. Gonna check it out.
GD2
Fantasy
854th
10/24/2018 4:12pm
These are just general book recommendations, but the audiobook versions should be just as good as just reading it.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
This is one of the best Westerns I've ever read.

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Awesome series that deals with some of the most popular tales of the Danes invading England in the 800s.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
The book is even better than the movie, in my opinion.

Drive by James Sallis
It's a quick read, but very good. It's loosely the same story as the movie, but it delves much deeper into the characters. Driver is the main character, and he's a Hollywood stunt driver who is also a getaway driver.

As for true story/nonfiction stuff, here's a few:

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
Very interesting read on the subject of psychopaths.

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
Deep dive into Scientology.

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright
Deep dive into Al-Qaeda and the lead up to 9/11.

The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook by Ben Mezrich
The story of how Facebook came to be.
rhargrave431
2/23/2021 4:26pm
Anyone read or listened to anything good lately? I go through these things quickly. I work alone most days, so typically Tuesdays I listen to Pulp, and the rest of the week is books. There is a really good series by Jack Carr that is being made into a Amazon series. It is a must read/listen. Anything you all recommend?

Post a reply to: Audiobooks

The Latest