Attn: those with HVAC knowledge

Clapped
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:13am
Just moved into a new house over the weekend and in the process of carrying stuff up the stairs, smashed the old dial style thermostat. I replaced it with a new Honeywell programmable thermostat, but I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. Called Honeywell customer support, but they weren't much help. I feel like less of a man for admitting this, but I'm not sure what kind of heating system I have (single stage, multi stage, heat pump...). So here are the facts.

*Old style had blue wire connected to B, Yellow wire connected to Y, White wire connected to W, Red wire connected to R, and Green wire connected to G. There was a jumper wire connecting the yellow and white wires. Also, the white wire was not physically connected, but as far as I remember, there was a small piece of wire broken off on the connector, so I assume it had broken off.
*Connected those wires to the new Honeywell unit, except Honeywell unit has a C connection, but the manual says that that is where the B (blue) wire connects to. Also installed jumper between white and yellow wires. Have tried with and without the jumper and without the white wire connected.
*Programmed the new unit to the best of my knowledge. Still will not heat. I get the sound of something kicking on, then about 10 seconds later the fan kicks on, blows air out of the vents, but puts out no heat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
MotoChief
1/23/2012 2:06pm
Next time you are gonna dis-connect something like that. Take a picture. Not to be a smart ass, but I have worked with electricity for 21 years and I always draw a diagram or take a photo of the wiring before I screw with it.

And, if you have a gas furnace, it it lit and is the gas on? If it is oil, is their oil in the tank? You need to know what you have in order to properly troubleshoot.
Clapped
1/23/2012 2:16pm
No offense taken. I do the same thing when I take an engine apart that I'm not sure how it goes back together. lol. But I did diagram when color wire went to what connector. Kinda hoped that would have been enough.

I really don't know what kind of system it is. I guess I need to ask how to tell what kind of system I have. I know it's not a baseboard system. Pretty sure it's not an oil system. If the hot water heater has anything to do with it, the pilot is lit and I have scorching hot water.
jgmxdad251
1/23/2012 2:20pm
White is heat
yellow is compressor they should not be jumped together, you are telling two things to come on.
Some stats use a common, Go to the unit inside and check stat wires you should have white red green and yellow and maybe blue will be on the common.
Clapped
1/23/2012 2:30pm
jgmxdad251 wrote:
White is heat yellow is compressor they should not be jumped together, you are telling two things to come on. Some stats use a common, Go...
White is heat
yellow is compressor they should not be jumped together, you are telling two things to come on.
Some stats use a common, Go to the unit inside and check stat wires you should have white red green and yellow and maybe blue will be on the common.
Thanks, I'll get a ladder and climb up top and check it out. Any idea on how to tell what kind of system I have??

The Shop

jgmxdad251
1/23/2012 3:08pm
If you have a big unit on your roof, it is a package system, you should see a gas line going into unit. If you have a unit in garage,closet or attic it is a split system and gas will be going to it and the condenser will be outside. Go where gas line is and check stat wires on unit and match to t-stat. I think the blue wire might be on common at unit if so put blue on stat to c (common). ................
SEEMEFIRST
1/23/2012 9:39pm
I bought (actually had given to me) a new T-stat and I couldn't get the thing to work. Turns out it was not compatable with my unit.
I know not much help, but that could be the problem.
ns503
1/24/2012 6:46am
Since you just moved in, are you sure it was working right before you deto'd the stat?
CR250Rider
1/24/2012 11:52am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 2:16pm
Clapped wrote:
Just moved into a new house over the weekend and in the process of carrying stuff up the stairs, smashed the old dial style thermostat. I...
Just moved into a new house over the weekend and in the process of carrying stuff up the stairs, smashed the old dial style thermostat. I replaced it with a new Honeywell programmable thermostat, but I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. Called Honeywell customer support, but they weren't much help. I feel like less of a man for admitting this, but I'm not sure what kind of heating system I have (single stage, multi stage, heat pump...). So here are the facts.

*Old style had blue wire connected to B, Yellow wire connected to Y, White wire connected to W, Red wire connected to R, and Green wire connected to G. There was a jumper wire connecting the yellow and white wires. Also, the white wire was not physically connected, but as far as I remember, there was a small piece of wire broken off on the connector, so I assume it had broken off.
*Connected those wires to the new Honeywell unit, except Honeywell unit has a C connection, but the manual says that that is where the B (blue) wire connects to. Also installed jumper between white and yellow wires. Have tried with and without the jumper and without the white wire connected.
*Programmed the new unit to the best of my knowledge. Still will not heat. I get the sound of something kicking on, then about 10 seconds later the fan kicks on, blows air out of the vents, but puts out no heat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply to: Attn: those with HVAC knowledge

The Latest