Astronomers to check interstellar body for signs of alien technology

lestat
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 4:08pm
|
Rhino
12/12/2017 3:30pm
So a big space rock floats by. ET, pick up the phone!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/12/2017 4:50pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 4:51pm
Been following this for a while. Very interesting, to say the least.
JAFO92
12/12/2017 5:31pm
Can you imagine, just how many billions of years, and the distances, that stupid rock has been flying thru the cosmos?

Mind boggling.

The Shop

Rhino
12/12/2017 6:07pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Can you imagine, just how many billions of years, and the distances, that stupid rock has been flying thru the cosmos?

Mind boggling.
But what if it broke off an even bigger rock, in October, from a massive planetary volcano eruption, 8 billion gazillion times bigger than Mt. St. Helens?
TeamGreen
12/12/2017 6:12pm
Pfffft!

Lame.

I thought this was gonna be about Pam Anderson.
Hut
12/12/2017 6:22pm
That image looks like Cheech and Chong cover art. Laughing
borg
12/12/2017 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 7:12pm
As an amateur astronomer, I always got a kick out of explaining certain things about the cosmos. First, the distances, then the sizes and quantities. Every star you can see with your eyes or a telescope is local. It's in our galaxy. There are billions of them and each one is quite capable of having orbiting satellites. Just like we are to our star, the sun. Outside of our galaxy is millions of other ones. Each with billions of suns that may have orbiting satellites. Just like the Earth. But, somehow, God has a plan for each and every one of us.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/12/2017 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 7:34pm
Did it travel through a black hole (NASA has seen something escape one, btw)?
Shawn142
12/13/2017 4:47am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2017 4:49am
kzizok wrote:
First the object observed coming out of a black hole is clickbait. At no point did NASA say they observed something physically coming out of a black hole, shady internet media added that. What they did observe is a stream of charged particles shooting outward like a cone, almost like a static discharge or flair. No physical object was seen because frankly this happened several million light years away. As Trump would say, fake news.

This object certainly didn't come from anywhere near a black hole. The closest observed one is over 3,000 light years away. This is something ejected from another solar system most likely thanks to a gravitation slingshot like it just had with Earth that completely altered its course. It's the same method we use to give satellites a big push into the outer solar system.

Checking the rock for intelligent life is another clickbait story too. It's not traveling at breakneck speeds here, it's going roughly 60,000mph. Those are numbers we can achieve. The Juno spacecraft headed to Jupiter got up to 90,000mph thanks to gravity assist leaving the inner solar system. There has even been some talk of planning a mission to intercept the object for closer observation. This object will be traveling through our solar system for hundreds of years at it's current speed.
hard2kill
12/13/2017 6:02am
borg wrote:
As an amateur astronomer, I always got a kick out of explaining certain things about the cosmos. First, the distances, then the sizes and quantities. Every...
As an amateur astronomer, I always got a kick out of explaining certain things about the cosmos. First, the distances, then the sizes and quantities. Every star you can see with your eyes or a telescope is local. It's in our galaxy. There are billions of them and each one is quite capable of having orbiting satellites. Just like we are to our star, the sun. Outside of our galaxy is millions of other ones. Each with billions of suns that may have orbiting satellites. Just like the Earth. But, somehow, God has a plan for each and every one of us.
And just imagine all of that stuff spang up from nothing. You are right borg some people have some wild "beliefs".
Shawn142
12/13/2017 6:38am
Shots fired from both sides now. Can we call it a draw and not have this break down into a science versus religion argument?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/13/2017 7:01am
kzizok wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
First the object observed coming out of a black hole is clickbait. At no point did NASA say they observed something physically coming out of a...
First the object observed coming out of a black hole is clickbait. At no point did NASA say they observed something physically coming out of a black hole, shady internet media added that. What they did observe is a stream of charged particles shooting outward like a cone, almost like a static discharge or flair. No physical object was seen because frankly this happened several million light years away. As Trump would say, fake news.

This object certainly didn't come from anywhere near a black hole. The closest observed one is over 3,000 light years away. This is something ejected from another solar system most likely thanks to a gravitation slingshot like it just had with Earth that completely altered its course. It's the same method we use to give satellites a big push into the outer solar system.

Checking the rock for intelligent life is another clickbait story too. It's not traveling at breakneck speeds here, it's going roughly 60,000mph. Those are numbers we can achieve. The Juno spacecraft headed to Jupiter got up to 90,000mph thanks to gravity assist leaving the inner solar system. There has even been some talk of planning a mission to intercept the object for closer observation. This object will be traveling through our solar system for hundreds of years at it's current speed.
Yeah, I was joking.
borg
12/13/2017 7:41am
Shawn142 wrote:
Shots fired from both sides now. Can we call it a draw and not have this break down into a science versus religion argument?
Sorry, I knew better.
Lets just say that, based on the odds, IMHO the possibility that we are alone in the universe is almost zero.
It's the only reason I framed it that way.
hard2kill
12/13/2017 7:56am
Shawn142 wrote:
borg wrote:
Sorry, I knew better. Lets just say that, based on the odds, IMHO the possibility that we are alone in the universe is almost zero. It's...
Sorry, I knew better.
Lets just say that, based on the odds, IMHO the possibility that we are alone in the universe is almost zero.
Haha sure thing Shawn142. I actually enjoy reading through these types of threads. Funny thing is that Brog has the same opinion as me, IMHO the possibility that we are alone in the universe is also zero. It is a bit puzzling to me how some people can accept the possibility of alien life, but altogether reject the possibility of God.

Most people are not aware of where the origin of the word alien comes from either. Hebrew, one of the oldest known languages has the word for Spiritual of Heavenly beings pronounced as Elyon.

I wish we could have these discussions in a civil manner without firing shots at one another but i do understand that this is not the forum for that.
hard2kill
12/13/2017 9:08am
Haven't seen anything un-civil in here.
I agree was just saying that is how these discussions usually go.
lestat
12/13/2017 11:28am
I think the interesting thing is we have never observed an interstellar object traveling through our galaxy before and the very peculiar shape . There are no current theories of how an object could come to be such an odd shape .
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/13/2017 11:44am
lestat wrote:
I think the interesting thing is we have never observed an interstellar object traveling through our galaxy before and the very peculiar shape . There are...
I think the interesting thing is we have never observed an interstellar object traveling through our galaxy before and the very peculiar shape . There are no current theories of how an object could come to be such an odd shape .
Yeah, the shape is very interesting.
bball35
12/13/2017 11:57am
Shawn142 wrote:
borg wrote:
Sorry, I knew better. Lets just say that, based on the odds, IMHO the possibility that we are alone in the universe is almost zero. It's...
Sorry, I knew better.
So you think all these billions of objects just happened to appear and work with no other greater force creating it?? Just curious because that is a lot of things working in perfect harmony.
XXVoid MainXX
12/13/2017 5:24pm
lestat wrote:
I think the interesting thing is we have never observed an interstellar object traveling through our galaxy before and the very peculiar shape . There are...
What shape should an asteroid be? Most asteroids are odd shapes. They're just big chunks of rock (or similar) that were likely involved in collisions with other big rocks. Check these shapes out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asteroid+shapes&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx…:
borg
12/13/2017 6:31pm
Shawn142 wrote:
borg wrote:
Sorry, I knew better.
bball35 wrote:
So you think all these billions of objects just happened to appear and work with no other greater force creating it?? Just curious because that is...
So you think all these billions of objects just happened to appear and work with no other greater force creating it?? Just curious because that is a lot of things working in perfect harmony.
Well, the question here is not origins of the universe, but origins of life. What you want from me I cant deliver. Neither can you or anybody else on this planet. But the origins of life are within our capability of discovering. At least here on this planet.
XXVoid MainXX
12/13/2017 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 9:41am
Also, if that rock had any sort of alien technology related to it and they were sophisticated enough to travel between star systems I can pretty much guarantee it wouldn't look like that, unless they deliberately shaped it like a rock to deceive.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/13/2017 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2017 7:23pm
What shape should an asteroid be? Most asteroids are odd shapes. They're just big chunks of rock (or similar) that were likely involved in collisions with...
What shape should an asteroid be? Most asteroids are odd shapes. They're just big chunks of rock (or similar) that were likely involved in collisions with other big rocks. Check these shapes out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asteroid+shapes&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx…:
Because it doesn’t resemble any of these:

Seriously, my understanding is that it is related to the length to width ratio. Apparently, they didn’t even know elongated asteroids even existed. Just what I’ve read
ATKpilot99
12/14/2017 2:54am

It's that space probe looking for the whales.
bball35
12/14/2017 8:52am
borg wrote:
Sorry, I knew better.
bball35 wrote:
So you think all these billions of objects just happened to appear and work with no other greater force creating it?? Just curious because that is...
borg wrote:
Well, the question here is not origins of the universe, but origins of life. What you want from me I cant deliver. Neither can you or...
Well, the question here is not origins of the universe, but origins of life. What you want from me I cant deliver. Neither can you or anybody else on this planet. But the origins of life are within our capability of discovering. At least here on this planet.
Yea I agree borg that none of else can deliver. I'm just stating religion or not my personal belief that there is something much greater than anything we can possibly comprehend out there that create this.
Glory
12/14/2017 9:14am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 9:23am
borg wrote:
As an amateur astronomer, I always got a kick out of explaining certain things about the cosmos. First, the distances, then the sizes and quantities. Every...
hard2kill wrote:
And just imagine all of that stuff spang up from nothing. You are right borg some people have some wild "beliefs".
Well, it has to begin somewhere. Can't the same thing be said about those who believe in god or whatever it is? Did he/she/it just come up from nothing? I am yet to hear anything that seems more logical than the big bang so far anyway. No matter how it is it's weird af

Post a reply to: Astronomers to check interstellar body for signs of alien technology

The Latest