Assisted suicide?

Spinner
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2012 8:29am
Why was everyone so upset with Dr Kevorkian?
I mean, when it comes right down to it, shouldn't a person have a right to choose when to end it all? As long as they don't hop in their Buick and head out on the highway and decide to take out a few extras, what's the problem?
|
bullpen58
4/27/2010 11:43pm
The problem was the "Hippocratic Oath". I'm not saying I'm against PAS. I'm just saying what the "problem" was with him in the eyes of the law / ethics committee.
plowboy
4/27/2010 11:55pm
I did a paper on this subject in college. Long story short...IMO Dr. Death had only one reason for what he did...he got off on watching the moment of death. He would have made a good nazi. As for legalized suicide...that's a bucket of worms. Ever met someone who was so depressed they wanted to end it all, only to have their life circumstances change 180 and then not even remember why they felt so bad? That's just the tip of the iceberg. There ain't no do-overs in that game. If you were refering to terminally ill people...that's what DNR and "no extraordinary measures" are for. In the end, if someone wants to go, they don't need help or permission.
Spinner
4/28/2010 12:18am
"In the end, if someone wants to go, they don't need help or permission."

Exactly. So raises the next question:
Why is suicide illegal?
fcr
4/28/2010 12:22am
Spinner wrote:
"In the end, if someone wants to go, they don't need help or permission."

Exactly. So raises the next question:
Why is suicide illegal?
It is a sin.....

The Shop

J.F.S
4/28/2010 2:26am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2010 5:42am
Any country that allows death penalty should logically allow suicide or assisted suicide. To me it is allways worse to kill a person against that persons will, regardless of who the person is.
JustMX
4/28/2010 5:59am

If you want to use assisted suicide it is simple.

Buy a gun.

Drive to the local illegal drug market in a state with the death penalty.

Shot a drug dealer.

Wait for the police.

Plead guilty and ask for the death penalty.

Bingo.....20 years later...assisted suicide
SteveS
4/28/2010 5:59am
Now that's a logical leap. Because a country executes certain criminals, it must allow the execution of sick people.
J.F.S
4/28/2010 6:41am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2010 6:47am
JustMX wrote:
If you want to use assisted suicide it is simple. Buy a gun. Drive to the local illegal drug market in a state with the death...

If you want to use assisted suicide it is simple.

Buy a gun.

Drive to the local illegal drug market in a state with the death penalty.

Shot a drug dealer.

Wait for the police.

Plead guilty and ask for the death penalty.

Bingo.....20 years later...assisted suicide
That is not too easy if you are paralyzed from the neck down, you might need legal help to turn off you respirator and life support system.
J.F.S
4/28/2010 6:46am
SteveS wrote:
Now that's a logical leap. Because a country executes certain criminals, it must allow the execution of sick people.
Not execute, help assisting people who are so sick they are just suffering and want to die, to me that is humane, to execute someone against their will is inhumane. If you are willing to live in a society where others can decide when you should die (death penalty is extremely uncivilized), you have to allow people to decide when they should die themselves.
Cygnus
4/28/2010 6:50am
When I feel it is time to go this is how I will do it. Sans the alchohol swab.

No assistance needed.

kaw rider9
4/28/2010 6:51am
J.F.S wrote:
Not execute, help assisting people who are so sick they are just suffering and want to die, to me that is humane, to execute someone against...
Not execute, help assisting people who are so sick they are just suffering and want to die, to me that is humane, to execute someone against their will is inhumane. If you are willing to live in a society where others can decide when you should die (death penalty is extremely uncivilized), you have to allow people to decide when they should die themselves.
Wow, just wow...

You amaze me sometimes!
J.F.S
4/28/2010 6:52am
Cygnus wrote:
When I feel it is time to go this is how I will do it. Sans the alchohol swab. No assistance needed. [img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/images/2007/06/22/heroin_needle_460_460x350.jpg[/img]
When I feel it is time to go this is how I will do it. Sans the alchohol swab.

No assistance needed.

Assuming you physically can do it yourself at that time.
J.F.S
4/28/2010 6:53am
J.F.S wrote:
Not execute, help assisting people who are so sick they are just suffering and want to die, to me that is humane, to execute someone against...
kaw rider9 wrote:
Wow, just wow...

You amaze me sometimes!
You never knew anyone with terminal cancer or ALS or that sort of disease, did you?
kaw rider9
4/28/2010 7:06am
J.F.S wrote:
kaw rider9 wrote:
Wow, just wow...

You amaze me sometimes!
J.F.S wrote:
You never knew anyone with terminal cancer or ALS or that sort of disease, did you?
I was refering to the "death penalty is extremely uncivilized" part.
Mr. G
4/28/2010 7:23am
J.F.S wrote:
Any country that allows death penalty should logically allow suicide or assisted suicide. To me it is allways worse to kill a person against that persons...
Any country that allows death penalty should logically allow suicide or assisted suicide. To me it is allways worse to kill a person against that persons will, regardless of who the person is.
Always worse? If it was 1939 and you were within 100 yards of Hitler with a sniper rifle you wouldn't take the shot?
Mr. G
4/28/2010 9:23am
J.F.S wrote:
Any country that allows death penalty should logically allow suicide or assisted suicide. To me it is allways worse to kill a person against that persons...
Mr. G wrote:
Always worse? If it was 1939 and you were within 100 yards of Hitler with a sniper rifle you wouldn't take the shot?
Would you?
JustMX
4/28/2010 9:29am
I remember the article in Dirt Bike years ago.

I think it was Paul Clipper that wrote it.

It was about a guy that found out he had a terminal illness.

He went to his local bike shop and bought the trickest new bike and all new gear.

then it describes in detail the ride that he started on the next day. The weather, the smells, the view, the sounds, and the feel of everything.

He heads up into the mountains.

It ends with him approaching a sharp turn with no guardrail way too fast.......

Now I know you can't do that if you are paralyzed.

But if a person finds out they have gehrig's or some other terminal illness with no realistic hope, shouldn't they have the option to exit on their own terms?

Geez, we put our pets to sleep to spare them pain.

Why would we keep somebody here to suffer unimaginable pain and frustration?

J.F.S
4/28/2010 9:52am
J.F.S wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
If you were within 100 yards of all the innocent people that have been executed by death penalty in the world, would you still shoot them if they came back from the dead? If I was within 100 yards from Hitler in 1939 I suppose I would have been a soldier and it would have been my duty to shoot him, so I guess I would have to. A good reason would be because Hitler exercised the uncivilized method of death penalty, some countries (mostly dictatorships) still do it today, sixty years later, very uncivilized.
jonjon714
4/28/2010 10:00am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2010 10:01am
Uncivilized method of death penalty??? Uncivilized or not, what were the Jews being penalized for?
Spinner
4/28/2010 10:07am
Wow...this thread jumped some tracks.
jonjon714
4/28/2010 10:13am
Well then, back on topic... I personally feel that the folks Kevorkian "helped" honestly did not want to continue living. Most suicides are a long term solution to a short term problem; if that makes sense.
Mr. G
4/28/2010 10:14am
J.F.S wrote:
Mr. G wrote:
J.F.S wrote:
If you were within 100 yards of all the innocent people that have been executed by death penalty in the world, would you still shoot them...
If you were within 100 yards of all the innocent people that have been executed by death penalty in the world, would you still shoot them if they came back from the dead? If I was within 100 yards from Hitler in 1939 I suppose I would have been a soldier and it would have been my duty to shoot him, so I guess I would have to. A good reason would be because Hitler exercised the uncivilized method of death penalty, some countries (mostly dictatorships) still do it today, sixty years later, very uncivilized.
Wow I am trying to separate things here to keep perspective. So am I to assume you would shoot Hitler not because it is the right or wrong thing to do but because one is a soldier and it is their duty? Do you have an opinion of your own? You seem to be very certain about the merits of the death penalty ( which I am not questioning) but you seem to be a little unsure about Hitler.
J.F.S
4/28/2010 10:20am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2010 10:21am
Mr. G wrote:
J.F.S wrote:
If you were within 100 yards of all the innocent people that have been executed by death penalty in the world, would you still shoot them...
Mr. G wrote:
Wow I am trying to separate things here to keep perspective. So am I to assume you would shoot Hitler not because it is the right...
Wow I am trying to separate things here to keep perspective. So am I to assume you would shoot Hitler not because it is the right or wrong thing to do but because one is a soldier and it is their duty? Do you have an opinion of your own? You seem to be very certain about the merits of the death penalty ( which I am not questioning) but you seem to be a little unsure about Hitler.
I just tried to answer your question, I dont think soldiers always do what is right or what is wrong, they do what they are told to and supposed to, like it or not. Both sides cant be right in a war, usually neither is 100% right. If I was a German soldier I would have shot the US pres if given the opportunity I suppose? I do have an opinion of my own but if every soldier went by their own opinion it would be a mayhem, they are trained to fall in line, lets face it.

Post a reply to: Assisted suicide?

The Latest