Are we alone?

XXVoid MainXX
Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 8:58am
Watch video and then answer poll question.

Poll

Are we alone?

Choices
|
ATKpilot99
5/12/2019 10:02am
I was thinking I don't know is really the only logical answer before I heard him mention it in the video . That's the way I answered but I'd like to think we are not alone.
motogrady
5/12/2019 11:35am
For sure. We are alone.
That there are countless other forms of life out there is irrelevant.
The distances, the times it would take to interact with them and us is the reality.
It will not happen in our lifetimes.

Like being in a closet at one end of a house.
Even though there are a dozen people in the living room, the guy in the closet, is alone.
BR8ES
5/12/2019 11:57am
motogrady wrote:
For sure. We are alone. That there are countless other forms of life out there is irrelevant. The distances, the times it would take to interact...
For sure. We are alone.
That there are countless other forms of life out there is irrelevant.
The distances, the times it would take to interact with them and us is the reality.
It will not happen in our lifetimes.

Like being in a closet at one end of a house.
Even though there are a dozen people in the living room, the guy in the closet, is alone.
I dunno mate, pretty crazy to think we are the only ones out there in the vast universe, etc. Factor in dimensionality and the like... hard to fathom it is just us. But...in the moment of whatever that may be, then it is just me or you.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/12/2019 12:19pm
The only problem I have with the math involved is it's all based on an assumed quantity of capacity. The issue I have is there literally no end to the universe, so how do you quantify that into a theory of whether life exists one way or the other?

I personally think we are not alone.
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2019 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 1:18pm
Interesting poll results so far. The question isn't "Do you think we're alone?" The question is "Are we alone?" I would think that to answer no to that question you would have to have some form of evidence proving to you that we are not alone. I realize that "some" would still answer "no" to that question because they have what they believe to be actual evidence of life outside of this planet. If you don't have that evidence then I don't see how you can answer in any way other than "I don't know". However, I didn't put all that in the original post for a reason. I find it interesting how people interpret and and answer questions like this.
5/12/2019 1:22pm
Life is everywhere. It’s all throughout the universe. The building blocks are there. It’s only reasonable to think that in its infinite expanse that those components are put together in more places than just this one.
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2019 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 1:35pm
And yet we have not a single shred of evidence that it exists. If I left the question open and didn't provide 3 specific answers you would have answered "There is most likely life beyond Earth because the building blocks are all over the Universe". To me, that's the same as saying "I don't know" but you probably answered "no, we are not alone". For me, I think it's likely there is life beyond earth but I answered "I don't know" because I need proof before I can say "no, we are not alone". I guess I am no longer religious for similar reasons.
level
5/12/2019 1:41pm
The universe is massive. We just can’t travel that far to find out if we are alone. My guess is other places can’t travel that far either.
motogrady
5/12/2019 2:17pm
Right, so like me you don't know either right? Smile

If the question was "Is there life anywhere else besides Earth", I'd say sure. The sheer numbers of possibilities,
like the odds with the powerball lottery, would form my belief there is life out there.

I mean, if there is usually a winner in the lottery, with billions playing, one would have to think there would be life
somewhere, if there are a few trillion planets out there.
gabrielito
5/12/2019 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 2:34pm
And yet we have not a single shred of evidence that it exists. If I left the question open and didn't provide 3 specific answers you...
And yet we have not a single shred of evidence that it exists. If I left the question open and didn't provide 3 specific answers you would have answered "There is most likely life beyond Earth because the building blocks are all over the Universe". To me, that's the same as saying "I don't know" but you probably answered "no, we are not alone". For me, I think it's likely there is life beyond earth but I answered "I don't know" because I need proof before I can say "no, we are not alone". I guess I am no longer religious for similar reasons.
There's evidence everywhere. is there proof? no but massive amounts of evidence, just depends how one processes evidence the conclusions we come to. Like a hung jury, we all get to examine the evidence but not all arrive at the same conclusion.
plowboy
5/12/2019 2:57pm
If there is life out there and they are advanced enough to know that we exist...they'd be idiots to make contact with us. Not much in the way of redeeming qualities on this rock....move along.
motogrady
5/12/2019 3:07pm
plowboy wrote:
If there is life out there and they are advanced enough to know that we exist...they'd be idiots to make contact with us. Not much in...
If there is life out there and they are advanced enough to know that we exist...they'd be idiots to make contact with us. Not much in the way of redeeming qualities on this rock....move along.
Hey, they might be hungry. 7 billion people would make a heck of a lot soylent green burgers. Smile
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2019 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 3:29pm
And yet we have not a single shred of evidence that it exists. If I left the question open and didn't provide 3 specific answers you...
gabrielito wrote:
There's evidence everywhere. is there proof? no but massive amounts of evidence, just depends how one processes evidence the conclusions we come to. Like a hung...
There's evidence everywhere. is there proof? no but massive amounts of evidence, just depends how one processes evidence the conclusions we come to. Like a hung jury, we all get to examine the evidence but not all arrive at the same conclusion.
I'm not sure what evidence you are referring to but there is no evidence of it anywhere else in our solar system, which is the only place we've been. The building blocks of life appear on Mars as well, yet no evidence there was ever life. No evidence of non natural radio waves yet detected from any other star system or galaxy. Not only were there the building blocks of life on Earth, but there were a specific set of circumstances that triggered it to start. And for us to get where we are a series of major events had to happen. For example, if the asteroid didn't hit earth and wipe out the dinosaurs and much of the other life, we wouldn't be here and the dinosaurs still would be. There were MANY such "lucky (for us)" events for us to have evolved to where we are.
motogrady
5/12/2019 3:33pm
gabrielito wrote:
There's evidence everywhere. is there proof? no but massive amounts of evidence, just depends how one processes evidence the conclusions we come to. Like a hung...
I'm not sure what evidence you are referring to but there is no evidence of it anywhere else in our solar system, which is the only...
I'm not sure what evidence you are referring to but there is no evidence of it anywhere else in our solar system, which is the only place we've been. The building blocks of life appear on Mars as well, yet no evidence there was ever life. No evidence of non natural radio waves yet detected from any other star system or galaxy. Not only were there the building blocks of life on Earth, but there were a specific set of circumstances that triggered it to start. And for us to get where we are a series of major events had to happen. For example, if the asteroid didn't hit earth and wipe out the dinosaurs and much of the other life, we wouldn't be here and the dinosaurs still would be. There were MANY such "lucky (for us)" events for us to have evolved to where we are.
I just read an article a few weeks ago.
A few are saying life on earth has "rebooted" 5 or 6 times already. The dinosaurs just happen to be the last.

I tell u guys, it's mind boggling.

Look up Voyager 1 and 2. Farther out there than anything before. At or past the edge of our solar system.

motogrady
5/12/2019 3:38pm
And just think, that's not even scratching the surface.

There are those that think, all we see, even farther out, is nothing but a hole kinda like you see in Swiss cheese. Which can be part of something even bigger. Like part of a cell on some giants little pinky.

I sometimes try not to even think about it.
XXVoid MainXX
5/12/2019 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 3:54pm
I know all about it, but compare that with how much farther it is to the nearest star. Voyagers haven't even left the front porch relatively speaking (I just did the math and Voyager 1 is about 12 billion miles away which is 0.00048 the distance to the nearest star). But, I'm really not disagreeing with any of you in that mathematically it would seem "likely" that there is life out there. But, until I've seen evidence of that life I have no choice but to answer "I don't know", because I don't.
borg
5/12/2019 4:38pm
As of this moment, a yes or no answer is not possible.
Prove this statement wrong: As to the origins of the universe, everyone is agnostic.
plowboy
5/12/2019 5:04pm
Humanity's ignorance is only surpassed by its arrogance.
gabrielito
5/12/2019 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 6:30pm
gabrielito wrote:
I'm not sure what evidence you are referring to but there is no evidence of it anywhere else in our solar system, which is the only...
Our very existence is enough evidence we are not alone for 99.99999... of all people who have lived on earth since the dawn of time. The very absolute indisputable fact that life cannot derive from non life, that inorganic cannot become oraganic and time and chance cannot create complexity is solid evidence as well. Let alone the Nazca lines and pyramids and all the evidence like that. That is just the tip of the iceberg. It's like trying to explain music to deaf people for some though.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
5/12/2019 7:58pm
Not to mention everything we use to monitor any incoming communications is based on our intelligence and technology. What if other beings were using methods undetectable by us because we don't have a clue what they are?

There is no end to what exists, and man, that is hard to wrap one's head around.
motogrady
5/12/2019 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 8:27pm
gabrielito wrote:
gabrielito wrote:
Our very existence is enough evidence we are not alone for 99.99999... of all people who have lived on earth since the dawn of time. The...
Our very existence is enough evidence we are not alone for 99.99999... of all people who have lived on earth since the dawn of time. The very absolute indisputable fact that life cannot derive from non life, that inorganic cannot become oraganic and time and chance cannot create complexity is solid evidence as well. Let alone the Nazca lines and pyramids and all the evidence like that. That is just the tip of the iceberg. It's like trying to explain music to deaf people for some though.
I thought they had the origins of life figured out.
A little bit of salt water. (The oceans.) Glently swirl. (the tides.) Introduce an electrical spark now and then. (Lightening.) Poof. Amino Acids form. The basic building blocks of living things.
Given time, evolution does the rest.
That's the scientists view.

If you're religious, here's a kind of joke. But not.

Guy says to God, you did a good job with life,
but it's really not that hard.
God says, Really? Show me.
Guy says ok.
First he gets a bottle, with a cork.
Then he gets a battery, runs 2 wires thru the cork,
spacing them inside the bottle so there is a spark when he touches the negative and positive leads on the battery.
Then he puts the bottle in a gentle shaker, cork side up.
2 tablespoons of salt are spooned into the bottle.
Just as the guy grabs a cup and puts it under the water faucet, to fill the bottle half way, God speaks up.

Oh no you don't, says God.

Get your own water.
5/13/2019 3:53am
I like to think there is personally. I've always been fascinated by the UFO phenomenon. I'm not like a nut or anything but do read up about it every now and again.

I feel like in this age of camera phones etc the sense of mystery is gone. If there no video, it didn't happen... Damn shame
hard2kill
5/13/2019 6:38am
gabrielito wrote:
Hey Void. I would be interested to know what it is that leads you to put your faith in some "evidence" as proof of something? How do YOU know the building blocks of life appear on Mars? How do YOU know that an asteroid wiped out the dinos? ect. ect. ect.??? What is it that leads you to accept some things as evident and others as not?
XXVoid MainXX
5/13/2019 6:46am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2019 6:58am
gabrielito wrote:
hard2kill wrote:
Hey Void. I would be interested to know what it is that leads you to put your faith in some "evidence" as proof of something? How...
Hey Void. I would be interested to know what it is that leads you to put your faith in some "evidence" as proof of something? How do YOU know the building blocks of life appear on Mars? How do YOU know that an asteroid wiped out the dinos? ect. ect. ect.??? What is it that leads you to accept some things as evident and others as not?
It's isn't faith, it's actual hard evidence. There is proof that dinosaurs existed on earth. We find them in fossils all the time. We have sampled the soil on Mars and have found that the "building blocks" of life are there, yet there is no evidence (yet) that life ever existed there, yet it would seem that at one time Mars was a very habitable planet (again much physical evidence to support that). That is physical evidence. What physical evidence do we have that life exists outside of Earth? So far there is none. All we have are statistical probabilities, which is in not any way "evidence" that it exists. Does life exist beyond earth? "Probably". "Probably" equals "I don't know", not "yes". Smile

The puzzling thing is if it is as abundant as it would seem that it "should" be there should be enough advanced civilizations much beyond our level who have evolved to our point millions, possibly billions of years before we did and surely would have started emitting similar radio waves to what we emit and yet after many years of searching, we've not found one single sample of it coming in from the vast universe. Or are humans the only ones intelligent enough to have been able to harness electricity and radio waves? You can't have it both ways.
hard2kill
5/13/2019 7:48am
It's isn't faith, it's actual hard evidence. There is proof that dinosaurs existed on earth. We find them in fossils all the time. We have sampled...
It's isn't faith, it's actual hard evidence. There is proof that dinosaurs existed on earth. We find them in fossils all the time. We have sampled the soil on Mars and have found that the "building blocks" of life are there, yet there is no evidence (yet) that life ever existed there, yet it would seem that at one time Mars was a very habitable planet (again much physical evidence to support that). That is physical evidence. What physical evidence do we have that life exists outside of Earth? So far there is none. All we have are statistical probabilities, which is in not any way "evidence" that it exists. Does life exist beyond earth? "Probably". "Probably" equals "I don't know", not "yes". Smile

The puzzling thing is if it is as abundant as it would seem that it "should" be there should be enough advanced civilizations much beyond our level who have evolved to our point millions, possibly billions of years before we did and surely would have started emitting similar radio waves to what we emit and yet after many years of searching, we've not found one single sample of it coming in from the vast universe. Or are humans the only ones intelligent enough to have been able to harness electricity and radio waves? You can't have it both ways.
Yes it is faith. You might have a different definition of faith than me? I guess your answer to my question would be that physical evidence is what provides you with "proof"? But it still seems to me that you have to make a leap between your evidence and your conclusions? What "proof" do you have that dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid? Even secular scientists debate that idea in great depth.

Even your acceptance of physical evidence seems pretty weak in some cases. What soil sample gives us the conclusion that Mars has the building blocks for life? Point me to this study and the seemingly overwhelming physical evidence that has lead you to that conclusion. The truth is YOU have no physical evidence for that at all. Only some words written by some men in some book. I am not saying that they are lying just trying to point out your faith.

As far as evidence for life existing outside of earth there is none.You are right about that and we are in agreement. However i am willing to go further than you and conclude there is no other "physical" life outside of earth. I have non evidence to support that claim as well as historical evidence. Additionally to me it is self evident, no actual physical evidence will ever sway me from my conclusion on this matter. You might say that is being dogmatic, close minded or even ridiculous, but i would simply suggest that is an example of real proof. Proof that is supported by faith.

If you can not put faith in your "proof" then you can never draw a final conclusion. Faith is not a guess or a hope it is knowledge. Your knowledge could be right or wrong. Faith goes one step beyond science + proof. It is science + proof + trust. If you can not draw a final conclusion then you have no "proof" just a mountain of evidence apt to crumble at any time. If you lose "trust" in something then it was never really trust to begin with.
gabrielito
5/13/2019 8:01am
gabrielito wrote:
Our very existence is enough evidence we are not alone for 99.99999... of all people who have lived on earth since the dawn of time. The...
motogrady wrote:
I thought they had the origins of life figured out. A little bit of salt water. (The oceans.) Glently swirl. (the tides.) Introduce an electrical spark...
I thought they had the origins of life figured out.
A little bit of salt water. (The oceans.) Glently swirl. (the tides.) Introduce an electrical spark now and then. (Lightening.) Poof. Amino Acids form. The basic building blocks of living things.
Given time, evolution does the rest.
That's the scientists view.

If you're religious, here's a kind of joke. But not.

Guy says to God, you did a good job with life,
but it's really not that hard.
God says, Really? Show me.
Guy says ok.
First he gets a bottle, with a cork.
Then he gets a battery, runs 2 wires thru the cork,
spacing them inside the bottle so there is a spark when he touches the negative and positive leads on the battery.
Then he puts the bottle in a gentle shaker, cork side up.
2 tablespoons of salt are spooned into the bottle.
Just as the guy grabs a cup and puts it under the water faucet, to fill the bottle half way, God speaks up.

Oh no you don't, says God.

Get your own water.
We’ll there is no evidence for that theory. You would think if scientists had it figured out then they could easily replicate it in a controlled environment doing those same things over and over. But they haven’t because they can’t. But even if they could it is still intelligence doing it, throwing a ball of water in the middle of space and assuming that time and chance accomplished what they can’t seems like a far stretch especially without any evidence that is how life begun. In fact that concept is so far fetched many are looking to more likely explanations like simulation theory or life arrived via asteroid or meteor originating from somewhere else.

Post a reply to: Are we alone?

The Latest