Are car/truck questions welcome in non-moto?

Rickyisms
Having an issue with my truck, I've always got some sound mechanical advice from you guys so maybe we have a shot of hope here. I'm getting no luck on dedicated forums. Delete if not allowedSmile

I have a 2005 4.2L F150 with 257xxx. 2 weeks ago I filled the truck up with fuel and the auto shutoff on the pump didn’t work, so it slightly overflowed and was filled to the brim of the filler neck. After turning the truck on I noticed the check engine light was on, but ran fine. Last week I was waiting in a drive through, it was taking a while so I had the truck in park. I felt it start to idle rough so I turned my music and AC off to get a better idea, The truck started to develop a pretty nasty surge where it sounded like it was on the cusp of quitting a couple times, I put it in drive to get out of the way and it was very sluggish when I lightly accelerated, almost like a carburetor with junk in the jets, it eventually ramped itself up and I parked in an empty spot. The truck idled rough for a few more seconds and then returned to its normal state.

Did it again on the way home last night, saw the light turned red up the road so I let off the throttle and lightly started braking, I felt the engine idling rough again and as I came to a stop it did the same thing as last time, when the light turned green I lightly eased onto the throttle and it had its “hiccups” again until it got itself up to speed and got me home.

This morning I stopped by a buddies shop and used his scanner where I pulled P0191 and P0193 (Fuel range pressure performance and Fuel rail pressure high input). I cleared the codes, drove to school, and was idling for about 3 minutes until it started its surge again, but this time I had no code pop up. I have a spare fuel filter and cap at home that I plan on replacing tonight to see if it will help at all, but I’m not feeling very confident about it. I'm leaning towards the fuel rail pressure sensor since the tank was overfilled and might've stressed the sensor.
|
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/13/2021 9:56am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2021 9:56am
On my old 2006 F-150 with the 4.6 when the mass air sensor got dirty it did the rough idle/surge thing and the check engine light would come on intermittently. Cleaned it and it ran like a champ again. Could be the issue.
Rickyisms
4/13/2021 10:00am
avidchimp wrote:
On my old 2006 F-150 with the 4.6 when the mass air sensor got dirty it did the rough idle/surge thing and the check engine light...
On my old 2006 F-150 with the 4.6 when the mass air sensor got dirty it did the rough idle/surge thing and the check engine light would come on intermittently. Cleaned it and it ran like a champ again. Could be the issue.
Seems like lean codes are common with these trucks. I plan on cleaning the IAC and MAF tonight along with replacing the fuel filter, if I don't see an improvement I'll go ahead and get a fuel rail sensor.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/13/2021 10:04am
You should be good with the filter and cleaning. Mine would almost stall on start up sometimes till I did what you mentioned. Then all was good.
Rickyisms
4/13/2021 10:13am
avidchimp wrote:
You should be good with the filter and cleaning. Mine would almost stall on start up sometimes till I did what you mentioned. Then all was...
You should be good with the filter and cleaning. Mine would almost stall on start up sometimes till I did what you mentioned. Then all was good.
Appreciate the pointers. Do you remember what you used to clean the mass air flow sensor? Just don't want to use the wrong thing.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/13/2021 10:17am
They make a MAF spray cleaner you can find at any parts store. Do not use carb or brake cleaner and don't touch the wire with anything. Just use the cleaner spray for about 10-15 seconds and let it dry completely before putting it back into the intake tract.
Ted722
4/13/2021 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2021 2:49pm
If no luck with the above, I had similar rough running / diminished power. Turns out it was a few coils. I had a '99 5.4 and 2 of the coils on the passenger side failed (at about 180,000). Ran very rough. Replaced all 8 and it ran good up until I sold it at around 200,000 miles.
AJ565
4/13/2021 4:38pm
Since the started when you filled up and the pump didn’t click chances are you over filled and now have a fuel soaked charcoal canister which purges into the intake. Basically raw fuel fumes from the canister are causing a super rich air fuel ratio and causing your problem. You will get rich fuel trim codes for that. If you unplug the purge solenoid on the intake you’ll be able to see if it clears up real quick. That will also set a check engine light for the purge circuit. The fix is replacing the canister and blowing the lines out of there is fuel in them.
Rickyisms
4/13/2021 6:41pm
AJ565 wrote:
Since the started when you filled up and the pump didn’t click chances are you over filled and now have a fuel soaked charcoal canister which...
Since the started when you filled up and the pump didn’t click chances are you over filled and now have a fuel soaked charcoal canister which purges into the intake. Basically raw fuel fumes from the canister are causing a super rich air fuel ratio and causing your problem. You will get rich fuel trim codes for that. If you unplug the purge solenoid on the intake you’ll be able to see if it clears up real quick. That will also set a check engine light for the purge circuit. The fix is replacing the canister and blowing the lines out of there is fuel in them.
Thanks AJ, I'll have to look into that after work tomorrow.
Rickyisms
4/13/2021 6:43pm
Ted722 wrote:
If no luck with the above, I had similar rough running / diminished power. Turns out it was a few coils. I had a '99 5.4...
If no luck with the above, I had similar rough running / diminished power. Turns out it was a few coils. I had a '99 5.4 and 2 of the coils on the passenger side failed (at about 180,000). Ran very rough. Replaced all 8 and it ran good up until I sold it at around 200,000 miles.
I plan on doing the plugs and coils next week to be preventative. I bought the truck with 237k on it and have no clue when they were replaced last. Even for a V6 with 256k it still runs and drives great. I cleaned the MAF sensor like avidchimp suggested and it for sure helped with idling smoother, took it on a test drive and definitely got some of it nuts back, but still lacking a little bit. Going to go with AJs suggestions of checking out the EVAP system.
yzken250x
4/17/2021 7:16pm
I just had to replace the throttle body on my 2013 F-150 3.5L V-6. It was doing the same thing that you described except it would cut out and go into limp mode. I would have to pull over and put it in park, shut it off then restart it. Once replaced it runs like a brand new truck. Fords are known to go thru throttle body’s. They internally break
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
8/10/2021 8:45am
04 .....4.7.... grand cherokee....replaced fuel filter 6 month s ago...it's as big as a half a soda can...huge..it was leaking gas ..... yesterday the newer one was leaking gas so much it would not start...out of town...real bummer 👎...should I try and wrap it with some kinda black duct tape on the newest one?
felpro
8/30/2021 8:47am
I bought two OBD readers. The first was one that was used with the car on but not running. The second was one that read to my phone, which could run live and give fuel use readouts as well as the codes that came up. I could send the readout to my email and of course clear the codes. All up around $30 something.

Post a reply to: Are car/truck questions welcome in non-moto?

The Latest