Are Millenials boring as crap?

NorCal 50+
7/18/2017 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2017 10:02am
Not to generalize...but I went out to dinner the other night with four young females (friends of friends). This is a business conference in San Diego and we had a chance to go out on the town. They didn't know it. but I am old enough to be a Dad in this group.
I am sucking down a massive Margarita, One of these girls orders a drink and a beer- the others? water. They were all vegetarian. Conversation skills? Not so much. Very serious. One chick said her Uber driver was telling her that he grows weed-- "made her very uncomfortable." I told them I had a medical pot card and got an awkward silence (this is freaking California). One says "All my friends want to work for Sierra Club." Ugh.
My sense is these kids were raised in households where they were warned that everything (meat, alcohol, weed, CO2) will kill them.
Not that they had some responsibility to be fun or something, but damn...what a bore these kids were. My young nieces are the same way. We went to the beach and they wouldn't go near the water. Why? No lifeguard. It's no wonder that young people aren't into doing something as dangerous and environmentally insensitive as racing motocross!
|
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/18/2017 5:23pm
I am teaching my children to swim, run, ride, work on their bikes, improvise, and otherwise be gnarly for exactly this reason. Someday, it will benefit them greatly.
NorCal 50+
7/18/2017 5:36pm
Falcon wrote:
I am teaching my children to swim, run, ride, work on their bikes, improvise, and otherwise be gnarly for exactly this reason. Someday, it will benefit...
I am teaching my children to swim, run, ride, work on their bikes, improvise, and otherwise be gnarly for exactly this reason. Someday, it will benefit them greatly.
My daughter is 3. I am not going to teach her to fear her own shadow. Take chances, fail, get a few bruises and get up again.
MR. X
7/18/2017 5:40pm
My little guy is only 18 months but I always let him dink around when I'm working on things . Saturday he was helping his grandpa work on the lawn mower , funny thing about it was he had a garden hose nozzle because I guess it looked like the tool grandpa was using, he always wants to check out stuff when you work on it.

GD2
Fantasy
854th
7/18/2017 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 6:30am
I'm actually Generation Z (born in '96, the Millennial Generation ended in '95), but I'd say that's about as big of a generalization as you can make if you're making it solely off of your experience with a few girls at a business conference. Most of the guys and gals that I've met (and hung out with) at my college are far from boring. I would agree with the idea that Generation Y & Z are a bit more cautious than previous generations, though, primarily due to growing up in sheltered homes.

@Old-Man, no politics.

The Shop

newmann
7/18/2017 6:52pm
My little millennial was too busy climbing the grain elevator to post a pic from the top, catching snakes, alligators, snapping turtles and sharks, butchering an axis buck he shot, kayaking out to the shrimp boat lanes to drop his hook, jumping into the indoor pool at the hotel from the second floor balcony while on a school swim team trip, sneaking into the strip club in Galveston and then telling his mom about how old the dancers were...they were like as old as you, mom....Woohoo , dropping mortar shell fireworks into the tube upside down, sparkler bombs, calling from the hookah bar because some girls got him drunk on vodka, heck, I would get tired trying to figure out what the little fugger was going to do next.Laughing Good times. Oh, and he was the lifeguard that all the young girls mentioned above would get all googly eyed over.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/18/2017 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 6:58pm
I have two Millennial boys, '98 and 2001, and while they rode/raced for most of their lives, played sports, etc. (very active outside), they are kind of boring. They stay home more on the weekends, tethered to their electronics and connected to their friends that way. I wasnt that way at their age, but we didnt have the technology either. To be honest, its hard for me to really get on them too much for it, as I sit here making an internet forum post from my phone.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
7/18/2017 9:28pm
This generation is getting bitched at the same way you were bitched at when you were in your 20's. Just remember, one day they will be determining your elderly healthcare and residence. You may want to be a little easier on them now to make your life easier later.
HenryA
7/19/2017 3:57am
Sounds like the kind of people that would sit together at a table and stare at their phones instead of having an actual conversation.
Sunhouse
7/19/2017 4:02am
I haven't really figured out which years the millennials are born in. Always seems to change everytime I research. Anyone know?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/19/2017 7:37am
Sunhouse wrote:
I haven't really figured out which years the millennials are born in. Always seems to change everytime I research. Anyone know?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
The dates are all over the map. My opinion is children of generation X'ers, or grandchildren of Baby Boomer's.
7/19/2017 8:07am
I'm still confused about when we stopped being Generation Y. I'm also unsure about why anyone cares.

Sucky people exist in every generation for the exact same reasons since the dawn of time.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
7/19/2017 8:18am
Personally I think you're a Millennial if you grew up in the 2000's ie: teen years and 20's.

In the end it doesn't matter what generation you are because there was boring and cool people before Millennial was even a thing and there's going to be boring and cool people long into the future.

If you find them boring just find other people you can associate with it. It's that simple really. They might of been boring to you but I'm sure they enjoyed being amongst themselves since they had stuff in common.

To say all Millenials are boring from one simple interaction is pretty ignorant in my opinion and I'm not just saying that because I'm one of them.

That would be like saying people that grew up in the late 60's and 70's are all pot smoking, acid dropping hippies which couldn't be further from the truth.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
7/19/2017 9:09am
Not sure if this relates to your situation but if it's a conference/work related it tends to always suck. Someone will always keep bringing up work related shit even if you are out at night drinking and thinking STFU haha.
bh84
Fantasy
1853rd
7/19/2017 9:12am
Born in 92. Life seems pretty boring for me at this point but I still try to hang on to the kid I used to be. Although selling my Z1000 stung a lot.

I think the problem is incomes these days aren't high enough to facilitate being fun. I work 6 days a week to get by, and thats as a sales manager at a dealership. Pretty tough to have much fun when you're always worried about whether you're going to be able to pay the bills.
sgthubbard#60
7/19/2017 10:32am
newmann wrote:
My little millennial was too busy climbing the grain elevator to post a pic from the top, catching snakes, alligators, snapping turtles and sharks, butchering an...
My little millennial was too busy climbing the grain elevator to post a pic from the top, catching snakes, alligators, snapping turtles and sharks, butchering an axis buck he shot, kayaking out to the shrimp boat lanes to drop his hook, jumping into the indoor pool at the hotel from the second floor balcony while on a school swim team trip, sneaking into the strip club in Galveston and then telling his mom about how old the dancers were...they were like as old as you, mom....Woohoo , dropping mortar shell fireworks into the tube upside down, sparkler bombs, calling from the hookah bar because some girls got him drunk on vodka, heck, I would get tired trying to figure out what the little fugger was going to do next.Laughing Good times. Oh, and he was the lifeguard that all the young girls mentioned above would get all googly eyed over.
He does however spend more time in front of the mirror than my daughter though.... lol
JPT
7/19/2017 10:50am
The latest generation is always the worst.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/19/2017 11:02am
JPT wrote:
The latest generation is always the worst.
......and their music.
JRT812
7/19/2017 11:32am
Sounds like maybe it was because of the setting you were in. I often find business related functions and dinners boring. There is still a level of professionalism that is expected. Drinks are often involved, but people are frowned upon (and there is always one) if they let their hair down a little. I know I'm completely different outside of work including my topics of discussion or even the verbiage I use while discussing those topics.
steed 2.0
7/19/2017 11:45am

Millennials are people who were born between the year 1980 and 2000. According to Nestpick, Millennials are "often defined by their affinity with technology, their entrepreneurial mindset, and their revitalising effects on cities. For all their positive attributes, this demographic is also well-documented for their highly expectant standards, and will not stay long in a location that does not match their criteria." 

The study

Nestpick has deemed Amsterdam the best city in the world to live and visit if you are a millennial. It won over Berlin and Munich.The Berlin-based company chose 16 categories to assess each city by including scores for employment, start-ups, tourism, housing, transport, health, access to contraception, food, internet speed, Apple stores, gender equality, immigration tolerance, pro-LGBT, night scene, beer and festival ranking. Amsterdam scored high across the board, but if millennials are looking for a cheap beer, they’re better off going to Eastern Europe.

Top 10 cities
1. Amsterdam, Netherlands
2. Berlin, Germany
3. Munich, Germany
4. Lisbon, Portugal
5. Antwerp, Belgium
6. Barcelona, Spain
7. Lyon, France
8. Cologne, Germany
9. Paris, France
10. Vancouver, Canada

"Millennials travel more at a younger age than any of their preceding generations; this gives them the possibility to find the perfect city for their personal needs," said Ömer Kücükdere, Managing Director at Nestpick. "With ageing populations, cities must cater to the Millennial demographic in order to sustain a thriving economy."
steed 2.0
7/19/2017 12:11pm

Sorry Couldn't Resist... Smile
Camp332
7/19/2017 2:00pm
My wife is 31, so she may be on the old-millenial side. The night I met her she was doing body shots off her girlfriends stomach. Maybe these millenial ladies you were out with felt like they needed to be well behaved because you are old enough to be their dad? They were onto you bro!

Anyway, teach them to wrench, and appreciate their work. Teach the kids as much as possible, and definitely let them push their limits.

SEE ARE125
7/19/2017 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 2:30pm
^^ That's a good example of why you DON'T let your kids play with your tools. Your boy somehow managed to modify your bike to where he could ride it! Laughing
LoudLove
7/19/2017 3:16pm
bh84 wrote:
Born in 92. Life seems pretty boring for me at this point but I still try to hang on to the kid I used to be...
Born in 92. Life seems pretty boring for me at this point but I still try to hang on to the kid I used to be. Although selling my Z1000 stung a lot.

I think the problem is incomes these days aren't high enough to facilitate being fun. I work 6 days a week to get by, and thats as a sales manager at a dealership. Pretty tough to have much fun when you're always worried about whether you're going to be able to pay the bills.
You're 25 YO and bored? Time for a change in life styles! At 25 I was a smartass Naval JO (junior officer), deeply immersed in flight school while simultaneously trying to keep my liver out of sick bay! All while living on the beautiful panhandle of Florida, outside the back gate of NAS Pensacola and a mere 4.5 miles from the miraculous FloraBama! We did the stuff described in Newman's post, except we called it "Tuesday"...

Yeah, sure, it took an undergraduate degree, some intense US government scrutiny, and 16 weeks under the tutelage of USMC drill instructors to get there, but still, it was rarely boring. Tedious? Taxing? Grueling? Oh, hells yeah! But not boring.
doofy
7/19/2017 3:45pm
I didnt read the entire thread, i suppose im apart of this generation being born in 89.

The older generation constantly bashes us, and i agree some deserve it but there are shit heads in every generation. I graduated high school in 07, try starting your adult life in a dead-as-a-doornail economy. Didnt matter how eager or willing i was no jobs were available and if you got hired somehwere full time for 10 bucks an hour you better thank your lucky stars
SCR
7/19/2017 6:18pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
Millennials are people who were born between the year 1980 and 2000. According to Nestpick, Millennials are "often defined by their affinity with technology, their entrepreneurial...

Millennials are people who were born between the year 1980 and 2000. According to Nestpick, Millennials are "often defined by their affinity with technology, their entrepreneurial mindset, and their revitalising effects on cities. For all their positive attributes, this demographic is also well-documented for their highly expectant standards, and will not stay long in a location that does not match their criteria." 

The study

Nestpick has deemed Amsterdam the best city in the world to live and visit if you are a millennial. It won over Berlin and Munich.The Berlin-based company chose 16 categories to assess each city by including scores for employment, start-ups, tourism, housing, transport, health, access to contraception, food, internet speed, Apple stores, gender equality, immigration tolerance, pro-LGBT, night scene, beer and festival ranking. Amsterdam scored high across the board, but if millennials are looking for a cheap beer, they’re better off going to Eastern Europe.

Top 10 cities
1. Amsterdam, Netherlands
2. Berlin, Germany
3. Munich, Germany
4. Lisbon, Portugal
5. Antwerp, Belgium
6. Barcelona, Spain
7. Lyon, France
8. Cologne, Germany
9. Paris, France
10. Vancouver, Canada

"Millennials travel more at a younger age than any of their preceding generations; this gives them the possibility to find the perfect city for their personal needs," said Ömer Kücükdere, Managing Director at Nestpick. "With ageing populations, cities must cater to the Millennial demographic in order to sustain a thriving economy."
Acess to contraception is a criteria for a good place to live for millineals ? Is there someplace where contraception is not available ?

Post a reply to: Are Millenials boring as crap?

The Latest