Are Indian motorcycles racist?

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 8:00am
Okay I’m probably going to get I trouble for this but it is really a honest concern of mine.

I’m sure you all know about the big oproar about the Washington Redskins and how the American Indians want them to change their name/logo

I am one to try out all sorts of various street bikes before I am too old to ride anymore, I want to experience as many as possible. So my eyes have been focused on the Indian Chieftans of late. It’s a very nice bagger that is getting better reviews than similar Harley’s. I ride on the backroads of So Cal and do come across many Indian reservations where I stop for drinks/food/gas. Am I looking for a ass kicking by some natives if they see me gassing up with big Indian head logo on my gas tank? And no I’m not just shittting around here....I really am curious if the bikes r frowned on by some people. Thoughts?
|
5/4/2018 12:05pm
Christ, you sound like the chick who was claiming "man made" was sexist because it has the word man in it. Buy it and enjoy the ride bud. Will fat People take offense to Harley for the term "fat boy" next?
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/4/2018 12:29pm
Christ, you sound like the chick who was claiming "man made" was sexist because it has the word man in it. Buy it and enjoy the...
Christ, you sound like the chick who was claiming "man made" was sexist because it has the word man in it. Buy it and enjoy the ride bud. Will fat People take offense to Harley for the term "fat boy" next?
Hahaha....oh I’m not going to keep me from buying it but you never know. I don’t want a protest to take place if someone sees me gassing it up
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/4/2018 12:39pm
You tell me. Here's a photo I posted in the Post Your Favorite Photo Of The Day thread a while back.

An Indian/Native American sitting on an Indian motorcycle in front of an Indian motorcycle dealership in the late 1800's early 1900's.

I say if he didn't have a problem with it back then buy yourself the motorcycle and enjoy riding the shit out of it. Life's too short to worry about about little things like that.

Indian motorcycle has a history just like any other brand and if the modern world is offended by it they need to grow balls and move on. People these days are always looking for something to complain about just to complain about something. It's ridiculous.

Look up Volkswagen and WWII. I don't know about you but I still see plenty of people on the road driving Volkswagen's. Is everyone of them a modern day Nazi? No.

Live your life man.
IWreckALot
5/4/2018 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 1:06pm
KennyT wrote:
Okay I’m probably going to get I trouble for this but it is really a honest concern of mine. I’m sure you all know about the...
Okay I’m probably going to get I trouble for this but it is really a honest concern of mine.

I’m sure you all know about the big oproar about the Washington Redskins and how the American Indians want them to change their name/logo

I am one to try out all sorts of various street bikes before I am too old to ride anymore, I want to experience as many as possible. So my eyes have been focused on the Indian Chieftans of late. It’s a very nice bagger that is getting better reviews than similar Harley’s. I ride on the backroads of So Cal and do come across many Indian reservations where I stop for drinks/food/gas. Am I looking for a ass kicking by some natives if they see me gassing up with big Indian head logo on my gas tank? And no I’m not just shittting around here....I really am curious if the bikes r frowned on by some people. Thoughts?
If you ride around with your boyfriend on the back, an indian would probably kick your ass.

Outside of that, NO Indian motorcycles are not racist. . .

And I am a certifiable indian.

The Shop

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/4/2018 1:14pm
KennyT wrote:
Okay I’m probably going to get I trouble for this but it is really a honest concern of mine. I’m sure you all know about the...

IWreckALot wrote:
If you ride around with your boyfriend on the back, an indian would probably kick your ass. Outside of that, NO Indian motorcycles are not racist...
If you ride around with your boyfriend on the back, an indian would probably kick your ass.

Outside of that, NO Indian motorcycles are not racist. . .

And I am a certifiable indian.
This is good to hear. From what I have read they have surpassed Harley’s in the bagger category. I’ve owned a few Harley’s but my next purchase is going to be a Indian. Some of the models are waaaay over the top glitzy but the styling on the Chieftan dialed it down a bit and looks pretty nice. If you guys have never been n a Indian dealer you should see them in person....works of art
mxb2
5/4/2018 1:20pm
KennyT wrote:

Thats the problem with todays society, people have to worry about stupid shit like what to buy. Enjoy your life , wgaf what others think. Your $$, your decision.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/4/2018 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 1:37pm
KennyT wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Thats the problem with todays society, people have to worry about stupid shit like what to buy. Enjoy your life , wgaf what others think. Your...
Thats the problem with todays society, people have to worry about stupid shit like what to buy. Enjoy your life , wgaf what others think. Your $$, your decision.
I agree with you and that’s why I wanted to bring this up.

Real close to me I have a great Harley dealership and in their same building, on the backside is the Indian dealership. Same owners. Anyway I see tons of Harley’s while out on my rides and it is a very rare occurrence to come across a Indian....I’ve seen only a couple on the roads over the past year. Yet they get better reviews, the prices r about the same. Was just wondering why they aren’t selling more than what I can see. Didn’t want to be cruising down the coast highway and have some Antifa asswipe throw a pipe bomb at me for being disrespectful (in his eyes) of our native Americans by having a bike with a full dressed Indian head on the tank.

And I don’t think I’m being crazy about this. My old High School had to change from their Indian mascot a few years ago because of a uproar from the locals.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/4/2018 1:57pm
Guess you better stay away from WP suspension also
SEE ARE125
5/4/2018 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 2:10pm
Don’t get one of those anti-LBGTQ GPS units either. “In a half mile, stay straight.”
jeffro503
5/4/2018 4:23pm
I don't want a political conversation , but gawd damn , the same people who would complain about Indian motorcycle's , are the same people who just shut down a 110 year old group / tradition......the fucking boy scouts.

Boy scouts now have to accept females.Made them change their name too. But guess what.....Girl scout's will not and do not have to accept boys.

I can literally mention 100 things in here that " That specific group " has destroyed.......but what's the point? Until people grow a spine and start strait up saying " Fuck you! ".........that group will keep walking over everyone. Because their feelings mean more than yours.

jeffro503
5/4/2018 4:25pm
On the Indian motorcycle thing.......it is just a matter of time before they attack that too. Mark my words.
JAFO92
5/4/2018 4:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I don't want a political conversation , but gawd damn , the same people who would complain about Indian motorcycle's , are the same people who...
I don't want a political conversation , but gawd damn , the same people who would complain about Indian motorcycle's , are the same people who just shut down a 110 year old group / tradition......the fucking boy scouts.

Boy scouts now have to accept females.Made them change their name too. But guess what.....Girl scout's will not and do not have to accept boys.

I can literally mention 100 things in here that " That specific group " has destroyed.......but what's the point? Until people grow a spine and start strait up saying " Fuck you! ".........that group will keep walking over everyone. Because their feelings mean more than yours.

I will say it, its fuckin' liberals screwing everything up. I cannot believe theyve destroyed the Boy Scouts. I mean, seriously, What The Fuck?

After I get a few more beers in me I will elaborate further. Evil
JRT812
5/4/2018 5:11pm
Always will be Indian to me
m121c
5/4/2018 6:27pm
I really don't even think it's the Indians that find it racist or give a shit.

More like the PC police and regressive left that have an issue with everything. Being you live in California, I would see you getting heckled at a stop light by some beta male or green haired "feminist".

Just flip the bird and carry on your day. Someone somewhere will be offended by something, so it's best not to care what others think.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/4/2018 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 6:44pm
Well I guess why I wanted opinions is because I have no doubt that it will be an issue if it’s not already. I just saw a player from the Redskins who was released tweeted that it’s nice to leave a team with a racist logo. And that logo is not much different than the bikes. I’m pretty sure this Indian bike/logo is not suitable for others taste and that’s why I’m wondering if that’s part of the reason they are rare, in a area where bikes are all over the roads. So Cal has a LOT of native Americans and my rides take me through their territories

And yes they were bought by Polaris but to me that’s a good thing. Polaris builds good quality machines and the Indians are getting exceptional reviews
jeffro503
5/4/2018 7:09pm
KennyT wrote:
Well I guess why I wanted opinions is because I have no doubt that it will be an issue if it’s not already. I just saw...
Well I guess why I wanted opinions is because I have no doubt that it will be an issue if it’s not already. I just saw a player from the Redskins who was released tweeted that it’s nice to leave a team with a racist logo. And that logo is not much different than the bikes. I’m pretty sure this Indian bike/logo is not suitable for others taste and that’s why I’m wondering if that’s part of the reason they are rare, in a area where bikes are all over the roads. So Cal has a LOT of native Americans and my rides take me through their territories

And yes they were bought by Polaris but to me that’s a good thing. Polaris builds good quality machines and the Indians are getting exceptional reviews
Kenny , I do know that in the past , Indian made some incredible bikes , and I bet they still do today. To me it seemed they just haven't had a huge following , but I don't think that has to do with the name. They compete against the Harley crowd , which we all know has a huge following , in many different cultures. And guys on the sports bikes , tend to lean towards the Jap bikes. I think Indian was some how caught in the middle , with not much wiggle room.
jeffro503
5/4/2018 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 7:13pm
One more thing.....I'm really digging that Scout Bobber!

KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/4/2018 8:13pm
jeffro503 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/04/259269/s1200_MainImage.jpg[/img]
Yes the scouts are badass bikes. At my age I’m looking more for the comfort of the baggers but it sure would be nice to be able to have one of each.
JRT812
5/4/2018 9:02pm
But aren't they really a Polaris ?
Indians from days past is what I love.
jeffro503
5/4/2018 9:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/04/259269/s1200_MainImage.jpg[/img]
KennyT wrote:
Yes the scouts are badass bikes. At my age I’m looking more for the comfort of the baggers but it sure would be nice to be...
Yes the scouts are badass bikes. At my age I’m looking more for the comfort of the baggers but it sure would be nice to be able to have one of each.
You know Kenny , I've been a dirt bike nut my entire life. The street bikes are something I myself have been looking into for the future. My dad rode Harley's for 30 years , and used to go on 2 - 3 week trips with some buddies. My little brother has been into them for the past 20 years , and now his son is into them. until tonight , I never really took a serious look at the Indian's. I'm more of a sporty fan myself ( Love the Harley 48 style ) , as I want something light and nimble to go bomb up and down a lot of the back roads here in the NW. But I'll tell you what.....I'll be taking a serious look into the Indian's before buying something. Really digging that Scout Bobber. Kind of style I was looking for anyways.
5/5/2018 9:30am
JRT812 wrote:
I still have my second bike ever, 1969 Indian 50cc Boy racer. It is more Italian and Czech ,than Indian.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/5/2018 9:50am
JRT812 wrote:
I still have my second bike ever, 1969 Indian 50cc Boy racer. It is more Italian and Czech ,than Indian. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/05/259342/s1200_001.jpg[/img]
I still have my second bike ever, 1969 Indian 50cc Boy racer. It is more Italian and Czech ,than Indian.
That thing looks good.

I think it's pretty rare for someone to keep a bike for all those years. Most sell them after the kids outgrow them, get little use, take up space, etc.

Pretty cool.
APLMAN99
5/5/2018 10:07am
JRT812 wrote:
I still have my second bike ever, 1969 Indian 50cc Boy racer. It is more Italian and Czech ,than Indian. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/05/259342/s1200_001.jpg[/img]
Didn't Indian sell mini bikes that were rebranded Italjets for awhile?
APLMAN99
5/5/2018 10:15am
KennyT wrote:

I haven't really seen any objections to Indian motorcycles, or the use of the word "Indian" either. The folks who take issue with the related brand names/logos seem to be focused on more negative (to them) terms and symbols.

Even with the Cleveland Indians complaints, the objection sounds more based on the Chief Wahoo symbol than calling the team Indians.
5/5/2018 11:54am
JRT812 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
Didn't Indian sell mini bikes that were rebranded Italjets for awhile?
After Floyd Clymer passed away in 1970, his attorney, Alan Newman took over the rights to the name and production. He had a factory in Taipei ,Taiwan where the small Indian two strokes were produced until 1976.

My bike is one of the last of the Floyd Clymer manufactured Indians.

I believe the remains of the Clymer / Newman Indian operations were absorbed by Italjet.

Post a reply to: Are Indian motorcycles racist?

The Latest