April 5th, the real day the music died...

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2018 8:41 AM

Posted this on my FB page, figured i would share it here.

Today will forever go down as a day where my heart aches. April, 5th we lost two talented musicians that were able to reach out and touch my soul. It is crazy to think and hard to understand just how much impact their music left on my life.

Their music got me through hard times when I had no where else to turn, i know that sounds crazy, but its true. Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) and Layne Staley (August 22, 1967 – April 5, 2002) both left an indelible mark on my life that i could never repay. Still to this day their music touches my heart and soul like no other. Here's to you Kurt and Layne, may your music continue to touch peoples lives long after you are gone, you are surely missed.

Photo

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

4/5/2018 8:57 AM

Nirvana = maybe the most overrated band in history.

|

4/5/2018 8:58 AM

I play AIC, Nirvana, Chris Cornell, Neil Young and Corey Taylor songs on acoustic daily. Glad i have never even seen heroin except in some ecstasy pills back in the 90s. The ones lost had a lot more talent to share. Sucks.

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

4/5/2018 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2018 9:01 AM

Nirvana influenced and changed all music overnight. Top artists all agree.

|

4/5/2018 9:04 AM

FLmxer wrote:

I play AIC, Nirvana, Chris Cornell, Neil Young and Corey Taylor songs on acoustic daily. Glad i have never even seen heroin except in some ecstasy pills back in the 90s. The ones lost had a lot more talent to share. Sucks.

Same here man, only drug i never touched expect for like you said, in some X back in the 90's. Sad what it does to lives.

Both their MTV Unplugged concerts are in my rotation still to this day weekly, Its like therapy for me, still get chills every time i watch them.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

4/5/2018 10:09 AM

Firefly47 wrote:

You must be too young or too old to understand why they are so highly regarded.

|

4/5/2018 10:27 AM

Firefly47 wrote:

early wrote:

I'll be 52 this year and while I can certainly acknowledge their impact on music I personally never got it. Alice in Chains on the other hand ....

|

4/5/2018 10:28 AM

|

4/5/2018 10:29 AM

Big Nirvana fan. No doubt a lot of his songs are wrist cutters.

|

4/5/2018 11:08 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

I'll be 52 this year and while I can certainly acknowledge their impact on music I personally never got it. Alice in Chains on the other hand ....

Yeah, Nirvana probably was responsible for killing your preferred music style since you graduated high school in 85? AIC had their roots in metal/hard rock more than punk/alternative (same with STP and Soundgarden) but that doesn't detract from the quality of music that they produced, they were just more accessible to the metal guy whose music wasn't being played as much anymore.

Anyway, Nirvanas breakout kinda paved the way for a rock music that could blend genres from metal/hard rock/punk/new wave/pop. I believe that this has had an impact where popular rock music of the last 20 years (post grunge era) has to a degree been somewhat homogenized such that style changes have not been as drastic. For example from 1975-1995 there were 3 distinct rock genres (stadium rock, hair metal, grunge rock). From 1998 -2018 we haven't seen such distinct styles dominate the musical landscape. There are definitely other factors that come into play also in that time period, and it's entirely possible this would have happened without Nirvana. Some people will say this has led to crap music, but there is music being made to satisfy almost every specific taste and it's easier than ever to find it. And even if you don't like Nirvana, at least they were better than the pop boyband bullshit that came later.

Anyway RIP Kurt and Layne, you are missed.

|

4/5/2018 11:32 AM

early wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

early wrote:

Yeah, Nirvana probably was responsible for killing your preferred music style since you graduated high school in 85? AIC had their roots in metal/hard rock more than punk/alternative (same with STP and Soundgarden) but that doesn't detract from the quality of music that they produced, they were just more accessible to the metal guy whose music wasn't being played as much anymore.

Anyway, Nirvanas breakout kinda paved the way for a rock music that could blend genres from metal/hard rock/punk/new wave/pop. I believe that this has had an impact where popular rock music of the last 20 years (post grunge era) has to a degree been somewhat homogenized such that style changes have not been as drastic. For example from 1975-1995 there were 3 distinct rock genres (stadium rock, hair metal, grunge rock). From 1998 -2018 we haven't seen such distinct styles dominate the musical landscape. There are definitely other factors that come into play also in that time period, and it's entirely possible this would have happened without Nirvana. Some people will say this has led to crap music, but there is music being made to satisfy almost every specific taste and it's easier than ever to find it. And even if you don't like Nirvana, at least they were better than the pop boyband bullshit that came later.

|

4/5/2018 11:33 AM

I was playing the "Singles" soundtrack for my 12-YO daughter last night. I told her that I hope there is a similar revolution of some kind for her to enjoy while she is in her younger years, because it sure was awesome for me to be in the prime of my youth when the Seattle scene happened.

Oh man, I can't believe it's been 16 years since Layne died. sad
Nearly a quarter century since Kurt. shocked

And now, how many grunge pioneers are dead? Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell..... please Eddie Vedder, stay with us!

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/5/2018 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2018 11:43 AM

Falcon wrote:

I was playing the "Singles" soundtrack for my 12-YO daughter last night. I told her that I hope there is a similar revolution of some kind for her to enjoy while she is in her younger years, because it sure was awesome for me to be in the prime of my youth when the Seattle scene happened.

Oh man, I can't believe it's been 16 years since Layne died. sad
Nearly a quarter century since Kurt. shocked

And now, how many grunge pioneers are dead? Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell..... please Eddie Vedder, stay with us!

Not necessarily grunge or anything specific. But just some good talent not around anymore.

Scott Weiland with STP
Shannon Hoon with Blind Mellon
Bradley Nowell with Sublime
The Rev with Avenged Sevenfold

|

4/5/2018 11:52 AM

Blind Melon, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Tool, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Oasis, Rage Against the Machine, The Smashing Pumpkins, Primus, Bush, Collective Soul, Radiohead, Candlebox, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Cranberries, Hole, No Doubt, Garbage, Green Day, Filter, The Offspring, Nine Inch Nails, Jane's Addiction, etc.

The 90's is right up there as one of the best decades ever for music.

|

4/5/2018 11:55 AM

Firefly47 wrote:

I'm with you but I think it's just the 2 of us hahaha. There is no denying their influence but as a band, I thought they were way overrated.

|

4/5/2018 12:05 PM

early wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

early wrote:

I never said it was crap just that I didn't care for it personally .....Talk about an overreaction
laughing I fully understand their place and impact in music. Anyway sorry Scottie for bringing negativity into this thread.

|

4/5/2018 12:15 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

I never said it was crap just that I didn't care for it personally .....Talk about an overreaction
laughing I fully understand their place and impact in music. Anyway sorry Scottie for bringing negativity into this thread.

My bro's close to your age and blames Nirvana for killing all the good music and he's not alone, but most of that music wasn't going to survive anyway. My wife is 5 years younger than me and just doesn't understand the way rock music changed. I was just talking out loud, nothing personal.

|

4/5/2018 2:22 PM

There is no Nirvana without the Pixies

|

4/5/2018 3:50 PM

Firefly47 wrote:

MXD wrote:

I'm with you but I think it's just the 2 of us hahaha. There is no denying their influence but as a band, I thought they were way overrated.

Count me in too. Hated Nirvana then, still do today.

|

4/5/2018 4:17 PM

Any other 90’s bands you all hate!! lol

|

4/5/2018 5:01 PM

TXDirt wrote:

Buncha phags! laughing

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"

4/5/2018 5:20 PM

TXDirt wrote:

ocscottie wrote:

Buncha phags! laughing

Earth Wind Fire was transformational!!! lol. silly

|

4/5/2018 6:09 PM

Firefly47 wrote:

early wrote:

Perhaps you are too young to understand "The day the music died" reference.

It was a really big deal when that day happened.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

4/5/2018 6:42 PM

TXDirt wrote:

ocscottie wrote:

Buncha phags! laughing

Not everyone was a sad, whiney, doc martin wearing emo back in the day.....and that makes a phag? Ok

|

4/5/2018 7:20 PM

TXDirt wrote:

ocscottie wrote:

Buncha phags! laughing

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

Not everyone was a sad, whiney, doc martin wearing emo back in the day.....and that makes a phag? Ok

So you were Vanilla Ice fan? And you are better...

Just messing with you.

I think he was just poking fun. No harm no foul. Don’t take it personal. I liked Vanilla Ice too!!

You still got Sir-MixA-Lot in the play list???? smile

|

4/5/2018 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2018 7:37 PM

Got them both and it was all about the Beastie Boys for me back in the day.

|

4/6/2018 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2018 6:02 AM

Different tastes. No need to bash things we dont prefer. This is not Facebook. I couldnt name one rapper from these days but i know every word of NWA. I like Stevie nicks and Slipknot.
I love all music. I dont ever turn on country or rap but i get invited to a lot of weddings and i will dance to and enjoy any musical effort. Its called an open mind, its a neat concept. Try it.
wink smile cool

|

4/6/2018 10:00 AM

The irony is that Nirvana got big from an MTV video. I really doubt they would have had that career without the video of the Goth cheerleaders. And MTV helped AIC big-time with the Unplugged Album, which is insanely good. AIC blows Nirvana away in the musicianship/songwriting/vocal department.

I was reading how Neil Peart of Rush wanted Nirvana to open for them back in the day but Nirvana turned them down because Rush was not an "alternative" band. Just shows how bands that break down barriers become the new status quo.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

4/6/2018 12:27 PM

SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Perhaps you are too young to understand "The day the music died" reference.

It was a really big deal when that day happened.

You mean the plane crash? Yeah, I'm aware of it. I have a broad musical knowledge. Everyone has their own version of it. For some it was Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper, for others it was Lennon, Elvis, Hendrix, Marley, Garcia, Jackson or any number of others.

Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Nirvana, I can't think of another time aside from the mid 50s and the rise of rock and roll that a particular style went from being the biggest thing around to old and dated almost instantly. Nirvana has always gotten alot of shit because of that.

|

4/6/2018 3:45 PM

Nirvana rode the coattails of bands like The Pixies, Green River, even Squirrelbait and Bitch Magnet. What elevated them to stardom was Butch Vig's production and a really cool video. Butch made grunge "shiny" and doubled the market overnight with songs that appealed to females. Once chicks started bobbing their heads to "Teen Spirit", it was all over...

|

"You can't resist the louder pull..."