April 5th...

ocscottie
Edited Date/Time 4/5/2020 6:53pm
The Day That Music Died...So did my Cat

Today will forever go down as a day where my heart aches. April, 5th we lost two talented musicians that were able to reach out and touch my soul. It is crazy to think and hard to understand just how much impact their music left on my life...

Their music got me through hard times when I had no where else to turn, i know that sounds crazy, but its true. Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) and Layne Staley (August 22, 1967 – April 5, 2002) both left an indelible mark on my life that i could never repay. Still to this day their music touches my heart and soul like no other. Here's to you Kurt and Layne, may your music continue to touch peoples lives long after you are gone, you are surely missed.

Not only that, i have to put my cat Ty down today. He was 20yrs old and my bro from Day 1, the last few days have been really really tough, I kinda feel selfish asking him to make it to April 5th so it would match Kurt and Layne. But i will remember this day the rest of my life....I owe those two musicians so much, its like they knew what i was thinking and sang to my soul. I still listen to AIC Unplugged EVERY single say, its cheaper that a therapist.

GodSpeed Layne, Kurt and my homie Ty

|
newmann
4/5/2019 9:28am
Hate to hear that about your furry friend, Scottie. Cats are best.

I thought my Johnny O' was going good making it to 16, but 20 is a hell of a run! RIP Ty...Sad
Casting
4/5/2019 9:30am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2019 9:32am
Sorry for your loss. Pets are like family. Ty looks like he was a good companion.

Helped my dad put down his cat of 23 years in February... not easy. He renamed her "Tank" like 10 years ago when she continued to be energetic after all those years lol.

Thoughts and prayers, my friend.
Motox627!
4/5/2019 9:33am
Sorry to hear about you cat, losing a pet is never easy.... April is a shit month for my wife and I as well. She lost 2 close family members in April and now on the 14th we are burying my Grandpa. Would like to skip this month all together if i could!
ocscottie
4/5/2019 9:35am
Casting wrote:
Sorry for your loss. Pets are like family. Ty looks like he was a good companion. Helped my dad put down his cat of 23 years...
Sorry for your loss. Pets are like family. Ty looks like he was a good companion.

Helped my dad put down his cat of 23 years in February... not easy. He renamed her "Tank" like 10 years ago when she continued to be energetic after all those years lol.

Thoughts and prayers, my friend.
"his cat of 23 years"

Holy crap! that is incredible, i have never heard of a cat making it past 20. I did a google on cat years vs human, at 20, Ty would be a 138yr old human!

Blows my mind, he has been the best cat i have ever owned, Its been rough but i just keep remembering what a great, and long life he has had.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

The Shop

ProKawi24
4/5/2019 9:38am
Sorry to hear that bro. I can definitely relate - not only are we both in wheelchairs from MX but same admiration for Kurt & Layne. The unplugged version of Nutshell and Down in a Hole seem to hit me particularly hard. Been a long time since I had to put down my best friend but I still think about my pup all the time.
All the best.
ocscottie
4/5/2019 10:00am
ProKawi24 wrote:
Sorry to hear that bro. I can definitely relate - not only are we both in wheelchairs from MX but same admiration for Kurt & Layne...
Sorry to hear that bro. I can definitely relate - not only are we both in wheelchairs from MX but same admiration for Kurt & Layne. The unplugged version of Nutshell and Down in a Hole seem to hit me particularly hard. Been a long time since I had to put down my best friend but I still think about my pup all the time.
All the best.
"I've eaten the sun so my tongue has been burned of its taste..." Down in a Hole is my anthem, i think he have talked about this before, I have to listen to Down in a Hole at least once a day. We have so much in common bro...let the hard days roll off ya, and charge hard on the good days!

Hoping for the best brother. ?
G-man
4/5/2019 10:32am
So sorry to hear about how this day affects you Scottie and the loss of your Cat Ty.

He looks like a GREAT cat and I remember seeing pics of him on your TV.
I'm sure you gave him a great Life for 20 yrs and he is forever grateful as he crosses the rainbow bridge.

RIP Ty
Kenny Lingus
4/5/2019 1:14pm
I'm not a cat person but losing a pet that you have had that long is tough. Keep your head up and look forward to listening to "Down in a hole" tomorrow.
ocscottie
4/5/2019 1:18pm
" I remember seeing pics of him on your TV"

It was my monitor before flat screens, in the winter he would lay up there where it was warm. After i got my first flat screen he went to jump on it and fell off the backside! lol

Look at my desktop, RC, i changed it every week while he was on a 24-0 run. And my Pilot in the background.FUCK i loved that cat...........

ocscottie
4/5/2019 1:28pm
Well, i just said my last good-bye.....damn. I didnt want to let him go, but i know i had to.

GodSpeed Ty
herbs906
4/5/2019 6:55pm
https://youtu.be/V5Ok7_KFuZw

Just lost a VERY close friend of mine....35 years old literally drank himself to death liver failure....yea layne has helped out with life with kurt a close 2nd! Sorry about your cat shits hard fight the good fight! shit now im crying again. this song hits home with the substance abuse shit
ProKawi24
4/5/2019 7:29pm
ProKawi24 wrote:
Sorry to hear that bro. I can definitely relate - not only are we both in wheelchairs from MX but same admiration for Kurt & Layne...
All the best.
ocscottie wrote:
"I've eaten the sun so my tongue has been burned of its taste..." Down in a Hole is my anthem, i think he have talked about...
"I've eaten the sun so my tongue has been burned of its taste..." Down in a Hole is my anthem, i think he have talked about this before, I have to listen to Down in a Hole at least once a day. We have so much in common bro...let the hard days roll off ya, and charge hard on the good days!

Hoping for the best brother. ?
I know what you mean. It's been 19 years since my accident. People don't understand the struggle we go through...every morning waking up and getting in this chair. Getting in and out of my truck, going to the bathroom at work and some asshole is using the handicapped stall just cus he likes the extra space. Dealing with bowel and bladder problems, always worrying about an accident happening when I'm not at home. Luckily I found an amazing woman who is now my fiance and who's a paramedic so she understands, but I had many dates where they straight up told me the chair was too much to handle. I get it. People like you and me are in some weird way our own society. We want and try to be as normal as possible and want to be treated as such, but we can't help the physical differences that set us apart.

I've had to put down 2 dogs that I had for many years, that is an emotional pain many can relate to. The emotional pain of dealing with our lifelong injuries is more acute. In some ways it's made me more callused, almost cold-hearted. But losing a pet still digs deep and tears you apart in your soul. My dogs never treated me any different or looked at me different for my chair. They always loved me unconditionally and always cheered me up when feeling down, when nobody else could.

One of my favorite bands ever is A Perfect Circle and especially the song "Orestes"....there's a line in that song that says "Give me one more medicated peaceful moment". I think of that as the moment right before they put me under for yet another surgery, or the pain pills I got hooked on for years after. All I wanted was 1 more "medicated" moment of peaceful bliss that let me forget about all my pain and suffering. That moment before going under when I almost hoped I wouldn't come back alive. I wanted to drift off into a dream-like world where I could once again ride my bike and not be in this chair or worry about bowel/bladder accidents or worry about life itself.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been there and still am there. If you ever want someone to chat with please feel free to reach out to me. I was never the type to want to talk to anyone else about how I felt because I didn't think anyone would understand, but I do understand. My facebook is www.facebook.com/carlmadsen24 or you can PM me and I'll give you my cell.

RIP Ty. I'm sure you had one hell of a great life and were loved dearly.
4/5/2019 7:30pm
Sorry to hear about that, we had our cat for 20 yrs too. It was with us for so much of our lives..wife had her when we were just dating,then when we rented our apartment together for a few years, then our house..eventually our kids..and then the kids getting older and all the things in between..amazing to think of it all and it is a hard loss.
Kurt’s suicide hit me especially hard too,we are about the same age,loved his music and can relate to the music holding you together as it was me at the time. I was also in a dark place at the time..way to much drinking and hit my bottom that summer. Could and should have lost it all but was given a second chance . Changed my ways and little by little things got better, take care my man
TXDirt
4/5/2019 7:56pm
Sending good vibes your way tonight, brother.
ocscottie
4/5/2019 8:17pm
herbs906 wrote:
https://youtu.be/V5Ok7_KFuZw Just lost a VERY close friend of mine....35 years old literally drank himself to death liver failure....yea layne has helped out with life with kurt...

Just lost a VERY close friend of mine....35 years old literally drank himself to death liver failure....yea layne has helped out with life with kurt a close 2nd! Sorry about your cat shits hard fight the good fight! shit now im crying again. this song hits home with the substance abuse shit
Stay strong brother! That song is another one that really kicked me in the ass WAY back in the day when i was a mess, it actually kept me clean for quite some time, but the demon dust pulled me back in...i was hanging by a thread and if it wasnt for the SWAT team taking us down, i probably would not be here today, kinda heavy shit to share on the forum but its the truth. That was many years ago now and its pretty crazy the shit i have been through in my 49 years of life, would love to write a book someday. "Slow suicides no way to go....." Like i said, be strong brother!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, certainly feels like something is "missing" without my buddy. Love you guys!
4/5/2019 11:00pm
Sorry about your loss...it's tough for sure. The best thing to do might be to get a kitten...start the next chapter with a new buddy.

And, Layne Staley is the best voice of all time...
herbs906
4/6/2019 5:56am
herbs906 wrote:
https://youtu.be/V5Ok7_KFuZw Just lost a VERY close friend of mine....35 years old literally drank himself to death liver failure....yea layne has helped out with life with kurt...

ocscottie wrote:
Stay strong brother! That song is another one that really kicked me in the ass WAY back in the day when i was a mess, it...
Stay strong brother! That song is another one that really kicked me in the ass WAY back in the day when i was a mess, it actually kept me clean for quite some time, but the demon dust pulled me back in...i was hanging by a thread and if it wasnt for the SWAT team taking us down, i probably would not be here today, kinda heavy shit to share on the forum but its the truth. That was many years ago now and its pretty crazy the shit i have been through in my 49 years of life, would love to write a book someday. "Slow suicides no way to go....." Like i said, be strong brother!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, certainly feels like something is "missing" without my buddy. Love you guys!
You too my man! Slept on it feeling better new day!
4/6/2019 7:50am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 7:51am
I’m sorry for your loss, it’s always hard losing our pets because they become a part of the family. We rescued an older cat about 6 months ago after her elderly owner passed away. Sweetest cat in the world, and I accidentally killed her because I turned the dryer on without knowing she was in there. She had never slept in there before so I was quite shocked and felt horrible that I had done that. We had her cremated and got a paw imprint in plaster. She was around 15 years old.
ocscottie
4/6/2019 11:04am
Last night was pretty tough...the wine helped, but getting up for my midnight snack and not having him coming to get a bite felt weird, and lonely. Luckily the dogs came, they dont miss out on a bite LOL

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the support.

herbs906 feel free to PM/email me anytime! ocscottie at hotmail dot com
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
4/6/2019 12:29pm
I'm sorry Scotty, I lost Fuzzy in December. ..

I sure loved that little guy, I know you feel the same about ty...

They say it gets better with time....I ain't feeling it.
ocscottie
4/6/2019 1:43pm
"They say it gets better with time....I ain't feeling it." I agree! I lost my service dog 20 years ago and im still not over it, wont ever be, he was like losing a child.

Thanks for the support buddy. ?
shuggs
4/7/2019 11:19am
Sad news Scottie, hope you get another as they all have their own personalities & traits.

For tunes, this voice is amazing, she was born just 10 mins from me
shuggs
4/7/2019 11:27am
This surely is a voice touched by god as S Connery claims

ProKawi24
4/7/2019 2:02pm
The pain never goes away, you just learn to deal with it, manage it. You learn to put on a fake smile or to pretend like everything is ok. Life still has its joys and pleasures, but you're never whole again.

We live life 1 day at a time. We find happiness and pleasure in the simple things. Today is a beautiful day, the sun is shining and the breeze is cool. I thank God I'm alive to feel this. Someday we won't be here anymore. Someday I won't wake up next to my fiance. Even though I wake up feeling intense pain in my back and shoulders, I'd rather feel this than nothing at all.
We choose to get out of bed each morning. We choose to move on and hope for better things. We choose not to give up. The good days far outweigh the bad. I see people around me die from cancer or other ailments. You cannot know pleasure without first knowing pain, you cannot know achievement without first knowing defeat, and you cannot know joy without first knowing sorrow.
ocscottie
4/5/2020 9:08am
Today is the 1 year anniversary of Ty's death and the passing of Curt and Layne...so much going on in my head...gonna rock out to them all day long!!
Deja New
4/5/2020 1:22pm
He’s to hoping you get through the day in a good mind set. Take care Scottie.
hubbardmx50
4/5/2020 5:06pm
Scottie, sorry to hear about your cat. I have two and they bring me so much happiness it’s pretty crazy. “Down in a hole” live on MTV Unplugged is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever heard. Love Alice In Chains! Layne was gone too soon. Condolences from Tigger.

Post a reply to: April 5th...

The Latest