Anyone with seasonal allergies?

TXDirt
4/10/2022 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2022 8:35am
Every year around spring time I get hit with seasonal allergies. Feels like the flu at times. This year it hit me hard. On Thursday I was at my sons baseball game for two hours with 30-40mph sustained winds. Woke up Friday feeling like crap. Pushed through the weekend. My throat was hurting so bad this afternoon I actually had to go to the urgent care tonight. So you know it’s bad when I have to leave the house to see a doctor or nurse.

Tested negative for step, flu, and Covid.

This is one of the worst times my throat hurts. I’ve takin zyzol(sic) for allergies. Wonder if Tylenol cold/flu medication would have been better. Taking 800mg of Ibuprofen for severe body aches.

Hope everyone is surviving allergy season.
|
borg
4/10/2022 7:32pm
You're reading my mail.
This shit is bad right now. As I get older, it seems to change. Now, it's mostly my eyes. The other day on the golf course I had left my eye drops in my truck. In a matter of about 30 minutes, my right eye itched so bad that it swelled up almost closed. Luckily I was almost done but couldn't finish the last hole.
Your throat issues kind of confuse me. What kind of pain? From coughing?
TXDirt
4/10/2022 7:49pm
borg wrote:
You're reading my mail. This shit is bad right now. As I get older, it seems to change. Now, it's mostly my eyes. The other day...
You're reading my mail.
This shit is bad right now. As I get older, it seems to change. Now, it's mostly my eyes. The other day on the golf course I had left my eye drops in my truck. In a matter of about 30 minutes, my right eye itched so bad that it swelled up almost closed. Luckily I was almost done but couldn't finish the last hole.
The throat issue is from the drainage from my sinuses. Then I take medication like zysol and ibuprofen and it dries it out too much. Roof of my mouth and throat are so agitated and feel burned almost. Hard to explain. But very painful.
borg
4/10/2022 8:01pm
borg wrote:
You're reading my mail. This shit is bad right now. As I get older, it seems to change. Now, it's mostly my eyes. The other day...
You're reading my mail.
TXDirt wrote:
The throat issue is from the drainage from my sinuses. Then I take medication like zysol and ibuprofen and it dries it out too much. Roof...
The throat issue is from the drainage from my sinuses. Then I take medication like zysol and ibuprofen and it dries it out too much. Roof of my mouth and throat are so agitated and feel burned almost. Hard to explain. But very painful.
I'm trying to compare it to my throat issues and yours sound a bit different. Mine are persistent coughing from the pollen. My throat is permanently damaged from radiation therapy so it gets irritated easily. Yours sounds different but your point is that these allergies can be brutal and I'm down with that. Wish I could help. I use OTC stuff mostly and I'm able to cope but you have something a bit more serious.
4/10/2022 8:22pm
I never had allergies until I turned 50 . It gets pretty bad my eyes swell up really bad, feels like itching inside my head, sinuses blow up get a lot of fluid in my ears, really dry throat. I can’t take anything because it creates a false positive for meth. Having a CDL sucks there a ton of stuff we can’t take.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
4/11/2022 3:28am
Mine started when I was 28. Now at 43 the yellow pine pollen doesn't bother me as much as the unseen pollen that proceeds it (what ever that is?).

I've put local honey in my coffee months before the pollen shows up, it seemed to really help. I got away from that the last couple years.
Gworm
4/11/2022 3:34am
Have you tried a sinus rinse? They help me a lot through allergy season.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
4/11/2022 3:45am
I got hit with cedar fever right after Christmas. That sucked. Lost my voice for almost 2 weeks. Thought for sure it was the flu or the rona. Negative on all those. A lot of the locals here in central Tx are sayin this is the windiest spring they can remember. I take zyrtec religiously however this weekend it didn’t seem to matter… or maybe it would have been worse without?! Haven’t bothered to wash my truck because it’s covered in pollen every morning.

JBecker 72
4/11/2022 3:48am
I get it bad through April and part of May. I take Claritin D 24 religiously this time of year. It works pretty well for me and doesn’t make me drowsy.
ElliotB16
4/11/2022 3:59am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2022 3:59am
I’ve always dealt with allergies this time of year. Being a hay farmer it’s hard to avoid! Zyrtec once a day seems to help.
borg
4/11/2022 6:28am
I never had allergies until I turned 50 . It gets pretty bad my eyes swell up really bad, feels like itching inside my head, sinuses...
I never had allergies until I turned 50 . It gets pretty bad my eyes swell up really bad, feels like itching inside my head, sinuses blow up get a lot of fluid in my ears, really dry throat. I can’t take anything because it creates a false positive for meth. Having a CDL sucks there a ton of stuff we can’t take.
The eyes are the worst for me too. Try this.
Allergies
It knocks it right out in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it shows up in a blood test.
DaveB771
4/11/2022 6:46am
Have any of you tried Flonase or generic fluticasone? It was a real game-changer for me.
alphado
4/11/2022 7:08am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2022 7:08am
Flonase every day for me. Sinus rinses work well too.
Ted722
4/11/2022 7:57am
The allergies are kicking my ass this last few weeks. The high winds in Northern California the last few days haven't helped! A little rain today should provide a little relief. Over the years (last ~40) they show up for me about April/May.

One of these days, I'll finally address, but a little Benadryl allergy seems to knock the edge off (provide a little relief). I've worn a mask doing yard-work and it really helps too.

Titan1
4/11/2022 9:58am
i'm allergic to pretty much everything (every tree, grass, weed..) Flonase...ever...single...day...

Clariton D works for me, but I can't sleep when I take it...
mpy
4/11/2022 10:21am
I've been allergic since I was 16. And the usual antihistamines, don't help me much. However, I found a solution... wear a face mask! For me it helps me out a lot, especially on windy days. Better to be outside with a mask, than suffering...
APLMAN99
4/11/2022 11:10am
I'm one of those who didn't have serious allergies as a kid, but it seems to be getting worse as I age. I worked on the orchard as a kid and never had too much issues, although I did/do have very dry eyes when I get around any blowing wind or in cars with AC, etc.

I have started taking the OTC AllerClear (Claritin) tabs from Costco every morning and they do a fair job, but most importantly is taking a small dose (1/2 tab) of Benadryl before bed. Without it I get so stuffy that I can hardly breathe and feel dead to the world all the next day.

4/11/2022 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2022 3:05pm
You need to block all your h1 and h2 receptors.

Xyzal (levocetitizine) 5mg once day at night works well
Fluticasone nasal spray 2 puffs each nostril morning and night.

Corticosteroid nasal spray as well.

Gotta get a full blockade so the pollen or whatever you’re allergic to doesn’t get a chance to attach to those receptors.

Especially in the spring I full blockade so I’m not behind. I also do interleukin-17 (singulair) but that now has a black box warning. Wouldn’t recommend it if you’ve ever had depression or mood disorders……a foot allergies If you’re getting symptoms your body already dumping histamine. Basically close the allergy door and they can’t get through to make you miserable.
borg
4/11/2022 3:37pm
DaveB771 wrote:
Have any of you tried Flonase or generic fluticasone? It was a real game-changer for me.
Yes. I use a generic and it works every time. Between that and the eye drops i'm pretty much good to go.
DaveB771
4/11/2022 5:00pm
The only good thing about the meth epidemic is that when the states limited the purchase of Claritin-D and other OTC meds with pseudoephidrine I broke down and went to an allergist. They started me on flonase (back when it was prescription only). I no longer had to decide which day of a 31 day month I would chose to not be able to see or breathe and I could sleep a little longer at night.
sandman768
4/11/2022 5:26pm
Dealing with it right now! Scratchy eyes, running nose, sinus congestion… we have a lot of the yellow pollen where I am also. Claritin’s seem to help a bit…
TXDirt
4/11/2022 6:24pm
I’ll try some new things next time. Thanks for all the input guys.

So what happens is I get congestion on night 1 and go to sleep. Because of the drainage I start to get a sore throat next day.

Night number two I take zyzol and maybe ibuprofen. I’m still having drainage but those medications dry me up. But I sleep with my mouth open.

So when I wake up next day my throat is just hammered. So dry and almost feels burned. This is one of the worst sore throats I’ve ever had. Pain level is like 8/10.

If I breath through my nose it feels better. But breathing through my mouth just compounds the pain and slows the healing.

And since I sleep with my mouth open at night it just takes forever to heal up.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. I need to try something different next year. This go around has really set me back with my throat pain.
JBecker 72
4/12/2022 3:02am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2022 3:02am
DaveB771 wrote:
The only good thing about the meth epidemic is that when the states limited the purchase of Claritin-D and other OTC meds with pseudoephidrine I broke...
The only good thing about the meth epidemic is that when the states limited the purchase of Claritin-D and other OTC meds with pseudoephidrine I broke down and went to an allergist. They started me on flonase (back when it was prescription only). I no longer had to decide which day of a 31 day month I would chose to not be able to see or breathe and I could sleep a little longer at night.
I really need to go see an allergist.
Sawfish
4/17/2022 7:21am
Zaditor eye drops, Zyrtec, fluticasone nose spray, and breathe right strips on my nose (clean your nose off with some alcohol first so they stick on there decently).

If I remember to do all this stuff it Kind of helps. I’ve never found a full solution. The worst for me is my eyes. I got lasik surgery years ago and they have been extremely sensitive since.
4/17/2022 7:53am
I never had allergies until I turned 50 . It gets pretty bad my eyes swell up really bad, feels like itching inside my head, sinuses...
borg wrote:
The eyes are the worst for me too. Try this. [url=https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Eye-Allergy-Relief-Antihistamine-and-Redness-Reliever-Eye-Drops-0-5-oz/10324540?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2609&adid=2222222227710324540_117755028669_12420145346&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9031092&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=10324540&wl13=2609&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAjwo8-SBhAlEiwAopc9W5baWPCixmfq1cG274Cz0pSMu0hqTeAsVuqcaayLhBozh2CQjJS5HRoCKs0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds]Allergies[/url] It knocks it right out in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it shows up...
The eyes are the worst for me too. Try this.
Allergies
It knocks it right out in about 5 minutes. Don't know if it shows up in a blood test.
I,ll check it ou,Thx. I take the dg stuff daily it doesn’t work real good but better than all the rest. The nasal spray burns my nose . Only getting a shower every 2 weeks sucks. You clean your sinuses out pretty good showering. It’s snowing in Ohio, shouldn’t hv much allergies today. A few days ago SC was 85 and muggy I never saw so much plant explosion. They where cutting tall grass in ditches. I,m like no way even the grass every bush and tree was blossomed. Horrible
Jeremy A.K.
4/17/2022 8:35am
I use flonase or on really bad days i take advil cold and sinus.

Post a reply to: Anyone with seasonal allergies?

The Latest