Anyone watch the documentary on Netflix called, “A Gray State”?

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/26/2017 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2017 1:42pm
I thought it was very interesting.
|
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/26/2017 2:20pm
Whats it about?
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/26/2017 2:59pm
A former war soldier gets back home and starts making a movie about governmental control. In the meantime, he, his wife and daughter are found dead. It really isn’t much of a conspiracy theory but the downward spiral that ensues.

Tried not to give too much away, but it isn’t really the typical PTSD aftermath story.
JRT812
12/26/2017 3:03pm
Will check it out tonight
early
Fantasy
2139th
12/26/2017 3:16pm
Dont know if im in the mood to get into that but ill keep it in mind.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/26/2017 3:24pm
^^^I can understand that.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/26/2017 3:25pm
JRT812 wrote:
Will check it out tonight
It is a doc that builds w/background info first, then the meat of it comes.
Mr.E
12/27/2017 7:42pm
Started watching it last night - fell asleep. Gonna try again tonight lol.
FolkLoar
12/28/2017 7:17am
Watched it a few weeks ago. Wasn’t what I thought was going to happen based on how the previews sold it. Pretty interesting nonetheless. That guy was an intelligent soldier (to start with). Pretty sad how it all ended up.
APLMAN99
12/28/2017 8:23am
Watched it.

Seemed like a glorifying tribute to a narcissistic, murdering psychopath after I finished it.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/28/2017 9:10am
Yeah, it didn't quite end like a conspiracy theory, like I came to believe it would have been about. Crazy deal. Sad.
APLMAN99
12/28/2017 9:28am
kzizok wrote:
Yeah, it didn't quite end like a conspiracy theory, like I came to believe it would have been about. Crazy deal. Sad.
The documentary didn't even really hint at any sort of conspiracy, but it definitely seemed to (intentionally or not) paint him as a sympathetic figure who was a victim of something, without defining what that something actually was. Not a "physical" something, but more of a victim of some sort of "fate" of his own genius.

I watched it first, then did a little searching on the web about the story. Amazing the stretches that were made to not accept that this guy was basically just another failed film maker who put all his eggs in one basket. He was great in his own little circle, just like hundreds or even thousands of others who want to make films, but when he got turned down at the end he had nothing left to offer, at least in his mind. Sort of like the above average athlete who dominates in high school, does really well at his local college, then gets cut in rookie minicamp when it comes to the pros.

Thankfully, almost none of those guys kill their wife, their young child, then themselves.

I do feel some sympathy for the guy. I certainly wish that he could have received some sort of help or counseling that would have helped him deal with rejection over his failing film project, his marital issues, and what sounds like his probable PTSD issues. Maybe he had these resources available and just didn't take advantage of them. Either way, I do wish something would have headed off the actions that he took.

I think that the documentary spent more time than it should have talking about his "genius" and what a great guy he was, and not enough time pointing out his murdering his wife and daughter.......
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
12/28/2017 3:17pm
^^what I meant about the conspiracy part is that is how it is “advertised”, if you will. Agree with your points. Good observations.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2729th
12/29/2017 6:06am
kzizok wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
The documentary didn't even really hint at any sort of conspiracy, but it definitely seemed to (intentionally or not) paint him as a sympathetic figure who...
The documentary didn't even really hint at any sort of conspiracy, but it definitely seemed to (intentionally or not) paint him as a sympathetic figure who was a victim of something, without defining what that something actually was. Not a "physical" something, but more of a victim of some sort of "fate" of his own genius.

I watched it first, then did a little searching on the web about the story. Amazing the stretches that were made to not accept that this guy was basically just another failed film maker who put all his eggs in one basket. He was great in his own little circle, just like hundreds or even thousands of others who want to make films, but when he got turned down at the end he had nothing left to offer, at least in his mind. Sort of like the above average athlete who dominates in high school, does really well at his local college, then gets cut in rookie minicamp when it comes to the pros.

Thankfully, almost none of those guys kill their wife, their young child, then themselves.

I do feel some sympathy for the guy. I certainly wish that he could have received some sort of help or counseling that would have helped him deal with rejection over his failing film project, his marital issues, and what sounds like his probable PTSD issues. Maybe he had these resources available and just didn't take advantage of them. Either way, I do wish something would have headed off the actions that he took.

I think that the documentary spent more time than it should have talking about his "genius" and what a great guy he was, and not enough time pointing out his murdering his wife and daughter.......
Excellent post. I especially focused on the fact that they portrayed him as a great dad. Then he goes and shoots his daughter.
NorCal 50+
12/30/2017 10:18am
I watched the trailer- I will have to check this out.
What is funny when I read about this guy, is anybody presents a theory that is different than a police report or a government report automatically becomes an "alt-right conspiracy theorist."
The term "conspiracy theorist" is nothing but a meaningless label and way to marginalize people's opinions.There is no separate and distinct group of "conspiracy theorists"-- they are just people.
1/3/2018 1:11pm
I remember when the trailer originally came out, I was excited to see the actual movie. I do remember hearing that the creator and his family were dead but didn't expect to hear the rest of the story.

It sounds like him and his wife fed off of, and in to each others emotions. Them cutting ties with friends and family meant they had no safety net of people around them. I have a few friends that have come home from our deployments who are no longer around. Some of them we had no idea their end was coming, and others literally had to fight through all of those who were there to stop them... Every year before our holiday break, we get told to watch out for each other, to check in on each other and that if you're having a hard time to call someone... It only works if that person lets people in. The holidays are known as a time this stuff is more likely to happen. Had his brother actually shown up for Christmas eve, this could have had a different ending.

As far as gray state itself goes, it's interesting, and it's easy to see the world heading this way. The UN is corrupt, the man child in parliament here is exactly what is wrong with the world leaders (and the people that are blinded by nice hair and fancy socks) and the technology we have welcomed in to our lives as a form of freedom has conditioned the younger generation to trust whatever the "mustachioed" man has to say... (Yes, I'm in the middle of reading 1984 at the moment).
kkawboy14
1/4/2018 8:40pm
This thread is way to political for me!

Post a reply to: Anyone watch the documentary on Netflix called, “A Gray State”?

The Latest