Anyone see stocks today?

thesadguy
1/24/2014 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2014 7:55pm
Dow, S and p, and nasdaq have all dropped a lot the past 2 days. Dow has dropped about 450 or so points in the past 2 days. Does anyone here know about this stuff? I don't but this can't be good..
|
Titan1
1/24/2014 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2014 12:20pm
I'm no expert...but I saw this coming...with the dow at record levels and steadily climbing most of '13...a massive sell of was bound to happen.

This was seemed to have been tipped off by the weak employment numbers earlier this month (and I thought I heard something about China's economy slowing down as well)...

thesadguy
1/24/2014 12:22pm
I hear the fed is going to cut their pumping by 10 billion next week.
Titan1
1/24/2014 12:27pm
thesadguy wrote:
I hear the fed is going to cut their pumping by 10 billion next week.
I believe that is the plan (to Taper QE)...didn't they cut $10B last month as well? Or is that when they just announced they were going to do it and it starts next week?
thesadguy
1/24/2014 12:30pm
Im not quite sure. I was in class while I was reading that so I only quickly glanced through.

The Shop

1/24/2014 2:35pm
Does anyone know anybody that thinks QE is a good idea?

It's a complete funking ruse.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
1/24/2014 3:47pm
thesadguy wrote:
Dow, S and p, and nasdaq have all dropped a lot the past 2 days. Dow has dropped about 450 or so points in the past...
Dow, S and p, and nasdaq have all dropped a lot the past 2 days. Dow has dropped about 450 or so points in the past 2 days. Does anyone here know about this stuff? I don't but this can't be good..
Market goes up and the market goes down, after periods of record growth there is always a market correction, the trick is knowing when its going to correct itself.
philG
1/24/2014 3:53pm
its printing money out of fresh air that you guys have to pay back at interest ........ been the same ever since they dropped the gold standard... A bubble cant just keep growing, at some point its gonna go POP..
Tim507
1/24/2014 5:23pm
philG wrote:
its printing money out of fresh air that you guys have to pay back at interest ........ been the same ever since they dropped the gold...
its printing money out of fresh air that you guys have to pay back at interest ........ been the same ever since they dropped the gold standard... A bubble cant just keep growing, at some point its gonna go POP..
You hit the nail right on the head..........stealing from the serfs with money from nothing. Wait and see the rate of interest when and if inflation steps in and what the dollar will not buy!!!!!!
1/24/2014 5:34pm
TripleFive wrote:

It's the ONLY idea. They have no choice. They can talk about tapering all they want. Ten billion is just a coin thrown into the pool to test the waters.

Look, they are NOT going to quit doing this - not for any length of time. They just can't. What are they going to cut? Unemployment? Welfare? SNAP & EBT? School lunches? Defense? What? There will be riots in the streets if they cut any of the entitlement programs.

In a debt-money, fractional reserve banking system, there is no other choice but to print and spend at this point. The time to be responsible "ship" has sailed. My advice? Gold is on sale right now. If you can afford it, buy as much as you can. If I could load up a dumptruck with it, I would. One of these days the truth will come out about what has been going on with our banking system and the government's collusion in not only destroying the dollar, but suppressing the price of gold. When that happens, gold is going to be no less than $5000 an ounce. In the meantime, turn as much of your fiat into gold, silver, toilet paper, gasoline, tools, food, whatever floats yer boat. Real, tangible goods have value that cannot be manipulated by central bankers - not forever. They are going to try forever, but like ALL before that have tried - they will fail. They are not smarter and better than past empires. They think they are (perhaps) but paper money always finds its true value - zero.

Stamp it.
1/24/2014 9:40pm
It's the ONLY idea. They have no choice. They can talk about tapering all they want. Ten billion is just a coin thrown into the pool...
It's the ONLY idea. They have no choice. They can talk about tapering all they want. Ten billion is just a coin thrown into the pool to test the waters.

Look, they are NOT going to quit doing this - not for any length of time. They just can't. What are they going to cut? Unemployment? Welfare? SNAP & EBT? School lunches? Defense? What? There will be riots in the streets if they cut any of the entitlement programs.

In a debt-money, fractional reserve banking system, there is no other choice but to print and spend at this point. The time to be responsible "ship" has sailed. My advice? Gold is on sale right now. If you can afford it, buy as much as you can. If I could load up a dumptruck with it, I would. One of these days the truth will come out about what has been going on with our banking system and the government's collusion in not only destroying the dollar, but suppressing the price of gold. When that happens, gold is going to be no less than $5000 an ounce. In the meantime, turn as much of your fiat into gold, silver, toilet paper, gasoline, tools, food, whatever floats yer boat. Real, tangible goods have value that cannot be manipulated by central bankers - not forever. They are going to try forever, but like ALL before that have tried - they will fail. They are not smarter and better than past empires. They think they are (perhaps) but paper money always finds its true value - zero.

Stamp it.
It's not the only idea.

1/24/2014 10:41pm
TripleFive wrote:
It's not the [i]only[/i] idea. [img]http://www.capinstitute.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Revoltion_Egypt2.png[/img]
It's not the only idea.

I was referring to the central bankers as having only one choice - PRINT. Smile
borg
1/25/2014 7:35am
QE was the last arrow in the quiver. It's not just central bankers that think it's the right thing to do. Most of Congress, the White House, Wall St., and a consensus of economists also believe that it's what the doctor ordered. To me, that's the problem. I tend to pay some attention to the contrarians. Not the foil hat crowd but the economists who challenge the whole idea of Keynesian economics. It's too easy to get people to go along with a fairy tale. It's much more difficult to get them to suck it up and accept that the government cant make the skies blue for everyone all the time. When most people believe that something is true, that's the time to take a closer look. For example, if you say that oxygen is highly flammable, most people would nod their head in agreement. Well, they are all wrong, it's not highly flammable, in fact it's not flammable at all but most people think that it is. Why? I don't know why but it's a great example of why I am suspicious of conventional "wisdom."
1/25/2014 8:43am
borg, while some no doubt believe QE is the way forward, surely the smarter ones can see that this will end badly. Plus, as I noted above, it's not just that some think it is the right thing to do. It's the ONLY thing they can do. Given the consequences of stopping QE, what do you think they will do? There's more QE coming. I will go out on a limb and say "much more."
borg
1/25/2014 7:33pm
borg, while some no doubt believe QE is the way forward, surely the smarter ones can see that this will end badly. Plus, as I noted...
borg, while some no doubt believe QE is the way forward, surely the smarter ones can see that this will end badly. Plus, as I noted above, it's not just that some think it is the right thing to do. It's the ONLY thing they can do. Given the consequences of stopping QE, what do you think they will do? There's more QE coming. I will go out on a limb and say "much more."
It's true that QE is the only thing they can do because it's the last arrow in the quiver. At least for the Fed. They think that the consequences for ending completely would be dire. Of course they would. They operate under a feeling of self importance. The problem is that the self importance wasn't self imposed, it was imposed by Congress. It's Congress that has the real problem of undeserved self importance. It was Congress in 1977 that gave the the Fed the mandate of pursuing full employment. Up until 1977, their mandate was stable prices and low interest rates. That requirement was met 5 years ago and if it were not for the employment mandate, QE would have never happened. I am for taking that mandate away from the Fed but like I said, they dont have the votes in Congress. A person running for Congress with that as a main platform goal would put their potential voters to sleep with their stump speeches. I don't have an answer for that problem so yes, we will get more QE. We will also get more undeserved, self important Congressmen and women. I honestly don't know what to do about that.
KMC440
1/26/2014 12:20am
QE has been the only thing to keep the current "Emperor " in his clothes. If the money to prop up the market would have never been spent the last years would have ... well those that said gold at 5k would've been pretty close to right.

The market slowly stabilizing {without QE it would be but not growing} is the trigger to start the vomiting of cash into the market slowing. But as the QE slows it will only do so at the rate the government can handle.

Which means the manipulative hand congress has to be re-elected will have a hand in how the QE goes in the near future.

The market is largely cyclical .. go out 7 to 8 years and you can expect a correction, some greater than others. 2000 to 2001 bad ... then 2008 enough crap there killed the market, now you can see another one coming in 2014 to 2015. Nothing bizarre just the way things work.

If you're worried about a 401k wait till the fall then move your money into a safer investment and wait out the winter. "Winter" meaning the correction that is indeed due. By the way this one won't be nearly as big as the one in 08. They wanted a scape goat for that one and they had Bush.
borg
1/26/2014 7:52am
KMC440 wrote:
QE has been the only thing to keep the current "Emperor " in his clothes. If the money to prop up the market would have never...
QE has been the only thing to keep the current "Emperor " in his clothes. If the money to prop up the market would have never been spent the last years would have ... well those that said gold at 5k would've been pretty close to right.

The market slowly stabilizing {without QE it would be but not growing} is the trigger to start the vomiting of cash into the market slowing. But as the QE slows it will only do so at the rate the government can handle.

Which means the manipulative hand congress has to be re-elected will have a hand in how the QE goes in the near future.

The market is largely cyclical .. go out 7 to 8 years and you can expect a correction, some greater than others. 2000 to 2001 bad ... then 2008 enough crap there killed the market, now you can see another one coming in 2014 to 2015. Nothing bizarre just the way things work.

If you're worried about a 401k wait till the fall then move your money into a safer investment and wait out the winter. "Winter" meaning the correction that is indeed due. By the way this one won't be nearly as big as the one in 08. They wanted a scape goat for that one and they had Bush.
There have always been cyclical market corrections like you said but all of them don't necessarily coincide with an economic recession. Mild market corrections are necessary to a strong market. Weak hands get nervous and sell, strong hands buy and create a solid support level. What happened in '08 was a major economic reset. It was a damn good start at bringing reality and equilibrium to our economy. It's too bad that it wasn't allowed to play out completely. It was interfered with by government to protect their wealth and the wealth of their benefactors. The original stabilizing of the banks, TARP, might have actually been necessary. A complete failure of the banking system would have brought unnecessary pain to Main st. By that I mean more pain than was already brought by the recession.

As to the 401k, I left the market in August of '07. Other than some day trading during the 500 point daily swings at the bottom, I was gone for good. I have no intention of getting back in. Getting in now would be asinine. Look at a chart of the S&P and you see the collapse of the '07 real estate bubble. What is causing this current bubble? QE? There are some glaring anomalies in this market run up. For example, we have blown right past the '07 top in terms of stock values but we are millions of people behind in terms of employment. Just that makes this market seem a little hollow.
KMC440
1/26/2014 9:34am
I was under the impression you were in the market. That being said the mid term elections are coming and the current admin will want to keep the economy propped up as much as possible till after it. Then they'll let it drop to make the opposition look bad and be the cause if the Rep's win seats or just say the correction was due if the Dem's win seats and distance it from themselves.

Either way it's a petty sophomoric situation but that seems to be the way things go anymore.
philG
1/26/2014 2:15pm
Just a suggestion, but if you're not reading here every single day, you're missing out.
I'm following the german gold reserves story on there...... kinda funny really, FED says , yes , of course we have all your gold, but you cant see it , maybe in 3 years or so .... unbelievable
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
1/27/2014 7:17am
So what is a good move for a young guy with 20k to invest in at this point? What would be the best option?
IWreckALot
1/27/2014 7:41am
FLmxer wrote:
So what is a good move for a young guy with 20k to invest in at this point? What would be the best option?
FLmxer, I don't know what to tell you. I've been dabelling in a Blue Chip fund. Blue Chip companies have significantly outperformed all the other funds I've looked at recently but I don't know how it will do when/if the government shuts down again. Blue chip companies are your more well known companies. They offer a more steady rate of return but usually at a lower rate. But reviewing the different options that I had, the Blue Chip has grown the most consistently and by more than other stocks. . .

Before February, the treasury will run out of it's borrowing limit so we're going to have another round of negotiations. The house has already said that they expect compromises from the senate, and the senate has already said absolutely no compromises. . . If we shut down again, there will be another credit downgrade and the market will drop significanly.

I'd hate to be a financial advisor right now with this wishy washy government we have right now.
1/27/2014 9:04am
Buy gold bro. Don't expect to get rich over night, but a year or three down the road you'll be sitting pretty.
silver753
1/28/2014 9:08pm
thesadguy wrote:
Dow, S and p, and nasdaq have all dropped a lot the past 2 days. Dow has dropped about 450 or so points in the past...
Stocks go up and down, in cycles, but overall they go up. Just like the housing market. Don't get scared when they drop a little, or a lot. If you are absolutely positively sure that the market will collapse, and not just talking forum trash, then go online or to any local broker and bet your life savings on the market crashing or going down. This is called a "short". Basically, if the market crashes, you get rich, the farther it crashes, the fatter your pockets get.

Now go put your money where your mouth is.
silver753
1/28/2014 9:13pm
FLmxer wrote:
The best option, hands down, without a doubt, is go to a professional broker. Any professional broker will give you better advice than 99% of the "brokers" on a motocross forum. I take 90% of the advice my financial advisor/advisors give me and then make a few tweaks, but I definitely don't take any advice on investing my hard earned money from a MX forum.

Would you take suspension advice from your broker?
silver753
1/28/2014 9:24pm
TripleFive wrote:

It's the ONLY idea. They have no choice. They can talk about tapering all they want. Ten billion is just a coin thrown into the pool...

Stamp it.
Stamp it? Really? Sorry Backmon, not specifically calling you out, but I don't think this will happen, and to prove it I put my money where my mouth is. I invest in mutual funds, index funds, a little in stocks, and a tiny fraction in precious metals. And of course, a small paper stash.

If you really believe what you wrote is going to be the real deal, did you dump everything and put all your money in gold? I have an old acquaintance who took his new wife's ENTIRE retirement and put it in gold, right around 2008 or so. Horrible, horrible move, and mostly based on FEAR. He no longer has his new wife. I have a feeling you did not.

Again, not calling you out as a fear monger, but it just sucks to hear people living in fear financially from what they hear on the local news or internet websites and no real education on how the financial system works. And I'm talking financial system locally, nationally, and globally.
1/29/2014 3:06am
Depending on when your friend bought into the gold market in 2008, he paid somewhere between $775 and $900 an ounce. The price today is $1258. How is that a "horrible" investment?

I do have a substantial amount of savings in gold and silver - physical gold and silver.

You don't have to prove anything to me. I don't care how you invest your money. Go head and put your savings in fiat. We'll see how that works out. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

As for your advice about taking advice from an MX forum, I can't say I disagree. Folks should do their homework and invest or save on a level they are comfortable with.
1/29/2014 3:07am
And by the way, I sleep very well at night. I have no fear of anything this world can throw at me.
borg
1/29/2014 7:09am
IMHO, gold is the bet you make on the way to armageddon. Profit on the fear so to speak. If it actually happens, you better have gotten rid of it. It will be worthless.

Post a reply to: Anyone see stocks today?

The Latest