Anyone recommend a good full-size truck for towing?

braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
7/4/2021 11:00am
I bought a 2021 GMC half ton with the 3.0 duramax straight 6 in it. There is not a better engine in a half ton right...
I bought a 2021 GMC half ton with the 3.0 duramax straight 6 in it. There is not a better engine in a half ton right now. It gets incredible mileage and has 460ftlbs of torque. And max torque is at 1500 rpm. It’s a wicked engine and drivetrain package.
This is the truck and engine I’ve been looking at. Is the fuel mileage close to the claimed 22/26 mpg?

I’ve had Ram 2500’s with the Cummins and currently own a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.2 Hemi. I don’t pull big trailers much anymore so I wanted a more comfortable ride with better MPG but still have the ability to haul stuff.

The Cummins will pull almost anything you want. The 6.2 Hemi pulls real well for a gasser even with 37” tires. MPG is about 10/15 unloaded with the big tires.
bernnet
7/4/2021 8:45pm
Thank you! It’s a 2019 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi
Nice choice. I have a 2014 F150 3.5 EB and it tows very well. Our trailer is 6500lb GVWR. I'm planning to get air bags from 4wheelonline to support the weight while hauling stuff in the bed also.
7/7/2021 11:31am
ZOSICK wrote:
I have a 2020 GMC Sierra with the 5.3. and 3.23 gears. It tows five bikes in an enclosed trailer just fine. I get 9-10 mpg...
I have a 2020 GMC Sierra with the 5.3. and 3.23 gears. It tows five bikes in an enclosed trailer just fine. I get 9-10 mpg doing 75 mph so that sucks. Honestly, I wouldn't tow your trailer with a gas powered 1500. Maybe the 3.5 Eco/Powerboost. To be honest, my next truck will be an F150 with the Eco/Powerboost. More power for towing and better gas mileage imo. I wish I would have gotten the 6.2L in my truck but it's not an option.
I’ve been towing our trailer quite a bit and I honestly can’t feel it back there. My wife and I are heading to Tahoe at the...
I’ve been towing our trailer quite a bit and I honestly can’t feel it back there. My wife and I are heading to Tahoe at the end of the month. The Fords are very nice though, I originally test drove one but the RAM is so luxurious inside
ZOSICK wrote:
Not calling bullshit but....lol. The trailer I tow usually has two full sized bikes and two 85cc bike's along with gear and tools ect. I'm pretty...
Not calling bullshit but....lol. The trailer I tow usually has two full sized bikes and two 85cc bike's along with gear and tools ect. I'm pretty sure it weighs much less then what you're towing. I can definitely tell I'm towing lol. Not sure how you can't tell you're towing that big ass camper lol. I do have the smaller 5.3 and crappy 3.23 gears but I can tell I'm towing none the less. My friend has a Tundra and it's the same as my truck. Honestly, I should have gotten the F150 with the 3.5 TT. Much better to be honest. I almost got a Ram but the one I was looking at was too expensive. That being said, it was much nicer on the inside than the Ford or my GMC. Nice truck btw! Looks glean!
My trailer is pretty light around 4,000lbs dry and fully loaded around 5,000lbs. I haven’t had any issues with power or stopping. If I were to get anything bigger id probably get a 2500 but for our needs, this setup is perfect.

We test drove new trail silverado, f-150 but the RAM was just much smoother and nicer inside.

We’re going to Tahoe at the end of the month so that will be a real test and I’ll update you guys
7/7/2021 10:43pm
I bought a 2021 GMC half ton with the 3.0 duramax straight 6 in it. There is not a better engine in a half ton right...
I bought a 2021 GMC half ton with the 3.0 duramax straight 6 in it. There is not a better engine in a half ton right now. It gets incredible mileage and has 460ftlbs of torque. And max torque is at 1500 rpm. It’s a wicked engine and drivetrain package.
braaap wrote:
This is the truck and engine I’ve been looking at. Is the fuel mileage close to the claimed 22/26 mpg? I’ve had Ram 2500’s with the...
This is the truck and engine I’ve been looking at. Is the fuel mileage close to the claimed 22/26 mpg?

I’ve had Ram 2500’s with the Cummins and currently own a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.2 Hemi. I don’t pull big trailers much anymore so I wanted a more comfortable ride with better MPG but still have the ability to haul stuff.

The Cummins will pull almost anything you want. The 6.2 Hemi pulls real well for a gasser even with 37” tires. MPG is about 10/15 unloaded with the big tires.
Yes. I have a 1/2 ton with the X31 package in elevation trim. I get a solid 25-26 US mpg on the highway. That’s doing like 70-73mph. They are extremely easy on fuel. Quiet and powerful. So far I am totally impressed and I don’t impress that easy. If it’s reliable it will be a slam dunk purchase.

The AT4 gets a mile or so less per gallon due to bigger tires and a factory lift.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Anyone recommend a good full-size truck for towing?

The Latest