Anyone familiar with Cleveland?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2020 6:05 AM

I'm heading there for a week in May for work. I'll be taking my family with me as a little mini get away vacation thing as well. My kids are young (6 & 2). Basically, I'm looking for info on whether to stay by the airport or stay in the Parma area. Those are my only two options as I dont want to get too far away from my work thing. Are both areas safe for the family to walk around during the day? Which is better as far as accessibility to family friendly things? Does either have decent shopping districts where they could walk right out a hotel and go shop at stores, get lunch etc? I would like to stay somewhere they can get out and do things while I'm at work. I plan on taking them to the zoo, aquarium, and a few other family oriented places in the evenings.

Any help, recommendations etc would be greatly appreciated!

|

2/9/2020 7:41 AM

Strongsville isn't too far away from the airport and Parma and is safer than those 2 areas. The southpark mall and the other suburban chain restaurant/shopping places are accessible by sidewalk although it is a bit of a walk from the Holiday inn or super 8 on the other side of I71. Its your basic suburban parking lot district not really city-like.

|

2/9/2020 7:43 AM

Cedar point

|

2/9/2020 7:47 AM

crowe176 wrote:

Cedar point

That's an hour and 15 minutes from my work. While we may consider heading there with the kids one day, I certainly wont be staying anywhere close to there.

|

2/9/2020 7:54 AM

early wrote:

Strongsville isn't too far away from the airport and Parma and is safer than those 2 areas. The southpark mall and the other suburban chain restaurant/shopping places are accessible by sidewalk although it is a bit of a walk from the Holiday inn or super 8 on the other side of I71. Its your basic suburban parking lot district not really city-like.

Looks like I'm only about 15 minutes from strongsville. I cant seem to find any hotels there though. I'll be at the Cuyahoga community college if that helps at all.

|

2/9/2020 8:05 AM

agn5009 wrote:

Looks like I'm only about 15 minutes from strongsville. I cant seem to find any hotels there though. I'll be at the Cuyahoga community college if that helps at all.

|

2/9/2020 8:06 AM

crowe176 wrote:

Cedar point

agn5009 wrote:

That's an hour and 15 minutes from my work. While we may consider heading there with the kids one day, I certainly wont be staying anywhere close to there.

It’s worth a day. It’s the RedBud of amusement parks!

|

2/9/2020 8:21 AM

crowe176 wrote:

Cedar point

agn5009 wrote:

crowe176 wrote:

It’s worth a day. It’s the RedBud of amusement parks!

I've been to that area I believe. Is that in Sandusky? I've been to Calahari resort before. We may have to take them to Cedar Point on the weekend. They would definitely have a blast

|

2/9/2020 8:31 AM

agn5009 wrote:

I've been to that area I believe. Is that in Sandusky? I've been to Calahari resort before. We may have to take them to Cedar Point on the weekend. They would definitely have a blast

Yes Kalahari is near there. Honestly, Cedar Point is incredible if you ride roller coasters, but the experience there will probably not be as good with kids that are 2 and 6.

|

2/9/2020 8:57 AM

In the words of the famous Yakov Smirnoff: Every country needs a city to make fun of. In America, you have Cleveland. In Russia we have Cleveland.

|

2/9/2020 9:02 AM

early wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

early wrote:

I hate sounding like this, trust me. But I doubt my wife will stay in a $50 hotel room lol.

|

2/9/2020 9:43 AM

agn5009 wrote:

early wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

I hate sounding like this, trust me. But I doubt my wife will stay in a $50 hotel room lol.

Yeah, that price seems crazy low. The area is actually nice although I have never actually seen those hotels up close.

|

2/9/2020 9:58 AM

My wife and i went there last year to see Tom Segura ,the place is a fucking dump . We walked to the mall and got swarmed with people asking for money . The night of the show ,the uber driver told us DO NOT walk away from the venue afterwards because it was a shitty neighborhood . The venue was the cleveland masonic theater. I had the best burger of my life at a little bar called johny's little bar ,it's just like the name states ,it's a small bar/restaurant under a large restaurant and they use the prime cuts from the restaurant to make their burgers .

|

2/9/2020 10:02 AM

JeremyK wrote:

My wife and i went there last year to see Tom Segura ,the place is a fucking dump . We walked to the mall and got swarmed with people asking for money . The night of the show ,the uber driver told us DO NOT walk away from the venue afterwards because it was a shitty neighborhood . The venue was the cleveland masonic theater. I had the best burger of my life at a little bar called johny's little bar ,it's just like the name states ,it's a small bar/restaurant under a large restaurant and they use the prime cuts from the restaurant to make their burgers .

I've been to Cleveland before and I agree most of it is a dump. By the Cleveland clinic is a dump.

|

2/9/2020 10:04 AM

agn5009 wrote:

I've been to Cleveland before and I agree most of it is a dump. By the Cleveland clinic is a dump.

We stayed not far from there ,you could see the browns stadium from our hotel. We uber everywhere when visiting a new city . We visited that big farmers market ,that was worth the trip.

|

2/9/2020 10:11 AM

JeremyK wrote:

We stayed not far from there ,you could see the browns stadium from our hotel. We uber everywhere when visiting a new city . We visited that big farmers market ,that was worth the trip.

East side of Cleveland is...rough. Aside from University circle where the museum's and Case University are.

|

2/9/2020 10:12 AM

JeremyK wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

JeremyK wrote:

I've read online that Parma is a safe city. I have heard Olmstead and Barea are also nice areas. But I dont know if theres much for the family to do in those areas as far as them being able to walk to some shops, restaurants, stores etc.i also cant seem to find any hotels in those areas. Parma and the airport seem to be the only places close to where I want to be with a good amount of hotels around.

|

2/9/2020 10:22 AM

agn5009 wrote:

I've read online that Parma is a safe city. I have heard Olmstead and Barea are also nice areas. But I dont know if theres much for the family to do in those areas as far as them being able to walk to some shops, restaurants, stores etc.i also cant seem to find any hotels in those areas. Parma and the airport seem to be the only places close to where I want to be with a good amount of hotels around.

Our 4 year stayed with the in laws that weekend we were there ,i don't recall seeing anything and thinking " Archer would would enjoy that "

|

2/9/2020 10:39 AM

JeremyK wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

JeremyK wrote:

Our 4 year stayed with the in laws that weekend we were there ,i don't recall seeing anything and thinking " Archer would would enjoy that "

Yeah, we'll be taking them to the zoo, aquarium, trampoline park, chuckie cheese etc to eat up their time. They'll be excited to just swim in an indoor pool at the hotel. I get to travel under works dime quite a bit and anytime I go somewhere theres a few things for the kids to do I like to bring them along. Pittsburgh, Hershey (a great one for the family), NYC, Poconos, Columbus and Cincinnati have all been cool to bring them along. Then I get some places like Lancaster and Indiana PA where theres literally nothing to do so they stay home.

|

2/9/2020 1:52 PM

A lot of hotels off I-71 in Berea. Not a ton to do there but it's safe and a good jump off point to start from. Your kids are young but you guys may want to check out the Natural History Museum (my kids loved it at those ages, dinosaurs and other cool history), same for the Great Lakes Science center. Your wife may enjoy the Rock Hall of Fame. All easy to uber too/from or you can run up to the airport and rent her a car for a day or two.
In May, the Cleveland Metroparks system is very nice. Lots to see and do, hike etc. Check it out.

|

2/9/2020 2:13 PM

I’ve stayed around the airport/IX expo center and I’m not a fan. If you get a chance have lunch at Slyman’s Restaurant and Deli. It’s worth it!!

|

2/9/2020 5:43 PM

AHRMA361 wrote:

A lot of hotels off I-71 in Berea. Not a ton to do there but it's safe and a good jump off point to start from. Your kids are young but you guys may want to check out the Natural History Museum (my kids loved it at those ages, dinosaurs and other cool history), same for the Great Lakes Science center. Your wife may enjoy the Rock Hall of Fame. All easy to uber too/from or you can run up to the airport and rent her a car for a day or two.
In May, the Cleveland Metroparks system is very nice. Lots to see and do, hike etc. Check it out.

It's weird that I cant find any hotels in Berea on google or any of the hotel websites. Theres just one bed and breakfast that I see.

|

2/9/2020 7:47 PM

|

2/9/2020 7:52 PM

Any AirBnBor VRBOs in the area? Worth a look.

|

2/10/2020 1:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2020 1:53 AM

Ive lived in Cleveland nearly 60 years.

Berea is a college town...close to the airport, tons of hotels.

Cle is split into East and West (Cuyahoga river is the dividing line)
Like AHRMA 361 said Our Museums are all in the University Circle area and are a great trip as they are all in one area.

BUT...so is the not so safe areas off Chester (coming from downtown) so dont stray off that road at night.

Your base camp is perfect for day trips.
Sandusky - Cedar Point, the Lake Erie Islands..must see.
County Fairs...google ohio county fair schedule.
Local motocross, Smith Road and Amherst Meadowlarks are 45 mins (check schedule on pitracer.com
Summit Motorsports park, Wed nite fun drag racing ($12 gets you in and race your rent a car) dont forget to visit the food court and get a pound of the best ice cream you will ever taste, Tofts for just a buck.
Metroparks walking, trails and bicycling....miles upon miles of paved paths...nature centers
Cuyahoga Valley National Park miles of trails and things to see. You can rent bikes in Penninsula and go many miles on the towpath trail.
Tribe game.....park at Brookpark station, take the train to downtown ( it will be PACKED on a game day ) beats the $30 event parking.
Downtown Church Architecture....Daytime driving in the Downtown area on weekdays you will find tons of churches
https://www.pctbus.com/events-tours/custom-tours/church-tour-cleveland/
Cleveland zoo.
Cleveland Lakefront.... Rock Hall of fame Great Lakes Science Museum, again daytime trvel on the train from Brookpark station to town then the lake line to the rock hall gets you there safe and free of trying to park.
Travel on the train is pretty safe on weekdays, I just would avoid late nites, but going on the red line (west) is pretty safe overall. East of Cle I would avoid on the train.
There is the USS COD submarine tour http://usscod.org/
William Mather ship tour https://greatscience.com/explore/exhibits/william-g-mather-steamship
And on any given nite there is a concert going on somewhere in town. Jacobs Pavillion.com
The West Side Market http://westsidemarket.org/
Best Mexican chow Nuevo Acapulco in Fairview Park.
Cleveland.com to see whats happening

In the end Cleveland is a safe place to visit (dont stray off chester from Downtown to University Circle)at night.
Berea is close to any type of shopping you desire (strongsville mall, great northern mall, croker park in westlake ...coach store for the wife
with the trains and easy highway system you can get most anywhere fast.

have fun !!

|

2/10/2020 5:12 AM

|

2/10/2020 5:14 AM

|

2/10/2020 5:17 AM

ohiomotoxer wrote:

Ive lived in Cleveland nearly 60 years.

Berea is a college town...close to the airport, tons of hotels.

Cle is split into East and West (Cuyahoga river is the dividing line)
Like AHRMA 361 said Our Museums are all in the University Circle area and are a great trip as they are all in one area.

BUT...so is the not so safe areas off Chester (coming from downtown) so dont stray off that road at night.

Your base camp is perfect for day trips.
Sandusky - Cedar Point, the Lake Erie Islands..must see.
County Fairs...google ohio county fair schedule.
Local motocross, Smith Road and Amherst Meadowlarks are 45 mins (check schedule on pitracer.com
Summit Motorsports park, Wed nite fun drag racing ($12 gets you in and race your rent a car) dont forget to visit the food court and get a pound of the best ice cream you will ever taste, Tofts for just a buck.
Metroparks walking, trails and bicycling....miles upon miles of paved paths...nature centers
Cuyahoga Valley National Park miles of trails and things to see. You can rent bikes in Penninsula and go many miles on the towpath trail.
Tribe game.....park at Brookpark station, take the train to downtown ( it will be PACKED on a game day ) beats the $30 event parking.
Downtown Church Architecture....Daytime driving in the Downtown area on weekdays you will find tons of churches
https://www.pctbus.com/events-tours/custom-tours/church-tour-cleveland/
Cleveland zoo.
Cleveland Lakefront.... Rock Hall of fame Great Lakes Science Museum, again daytime trvel on the train from Brookpark station to town then the lake line to the rock hall gets you there safe and free of trying to park.
Travel on the train is pretty safe on weekdays, I just would avoid late nites, but going on the red line (west) is pretty safe overall. East of Cle I would avoid on the train.
There is the USS COD submarine tour http://usscod.org/
William Mather ship tour https://greatscience.com/explore/exhibits/william-g-mather-steamship
And on any given nite there is a concert going on somewhere in town. Jacobs Pavillion.com
The West Side Market http://westsidemarket.org/
Best Mexican chow Nuevo Acapulco in Fairview Park.
Cleveland.com to see whats happening

In the end Cleveland is a safe place to visit (dont stray off chester from Downtown to University Circle)at night.
Berea is close to any type of shopping you desire (strongsville mall, great northern mall, croker park in westlake ...coach store for the wife
with the trains and easy highway system you can get most anywhere fast.

have fun !!

Wow thank you for all of this. When you say lots of hotels near Berea, do you mean the airport area? Heres a pic. So, any of the hotels to the right of Berea should be good as far as safety and things for the family to do?

|

2/10/2020 6:21 AM

The Berea hotels are all off of Bagley Rd. and it's just one exit south of the airport.

ohiomotoxer pretty much nailed it with all he mentioned to see and do.

|

2/10/2020 6:49 AM

tcannon521 wrote:

I’ve stayed around the airport/IX expo center and I’m not a fan. If you get a chance have lunch at Slyman’s Restaurant and Deli. It’s worth it!!

I’ll second the recommendation for Slymans Deli. Great food!
Also, I don’t drink, but Johnny’s Bar on Fulton has awesome steaks. Kind of in a sketchy looking area, but I don’t think it’s too bad.

|