Anyone else having issues with USPS packages?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2020 7:01 AM

I have typically had pretty good luck with USPS besides a couple instances but now I currently have 3 packages that tracking shows as "Arriving Late," or are scheduled for delivery tomorrow but haven't shown any movement since initial scan and I have the sneaking suspicion will also notify me soon with the "Arriving Late" message. USPS contacted me and said with corona and holidays this is to be expected, which I understand to an extent. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same delays?

|

12/4/2020 7:06 AM

Just yesterday. Tracking my package, it was in my city then, it went through four different cities way north of me. Later that night, it came back with an unknown delivery date.

|

12/4/2020 7:19 AM

Bull blown lost my package last month

|

12/4/2020 7:52 AM

been happening for the last month or so. I hate to pay the extra for UPS, but on some items it's worth it.

|

12/4/2020 7:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2020 8:03 AM

They stuffed a package so tight in the mail box I couldn’t get it out without destroying the package. Last week. But mostly no issues...

I worked for 3rd largest ups hub in US and at the time largest brand new FedEx in the US IN Toledo, Ohio in college. Had two jobs in the summer since it was 4 hours a day part time for both places. And hands down ups has the best process in my opinion. Stayed with ups for 7 years. Stayed with FedEx for duration of summer.

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/4/2020 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2020 2:51 PM

I was expecting a USPS package here in NC today. Tracking shows it sitting in KY since wed. ☹️

|

12/4/2020 3:28 PM

I'd say that the cuts to sorting machines and services that were made this past year are more to blame than anything else.

They closed our mail sorting facility, but the tech staff there reconnected some machines and public outcry got it to open back up. It was "closed" for 2 days with all workers still being paid and officially it was never going to open back up again. Usually those types of closings are announced well in advance, personnel transferred, unions negotiate severances, etc.

Bizarre circumstance.

Tacoma, Wenatchee postal workers go against USPS orders, reinstall sorting machines

By Nick Bowman
August 24, 2020 at 12:31 pm

On Monday, U.S. Postmaster General Louis DeJoy reiterated his position on not reinstalling mail-sorting machines removed at processing facilities across the country in recent weeks. In Washington state, though, some facilities are restoring them anyway.

Seattle-area postal workers ‘don’t see a plan’ to fix machines

Roughly 40% of letter-sorting machines in the Seattle-Tacoma area postal service processing plants were decommissioned prior to DeJoy pausing a series of changes he had enacted to the USPS.

According to a report from KUOW, five of those machines at a Tacoma plant were restored last week, while two others were repurposed to boost sorting capacity for other functioning machines. A machine in Wenatchee was also reinstalled. Both facilities took action against orders from USPS head of maintenance Kevin Couch to leave decommissioned sorting machines as is.

Facilities in Tacoma, Wenatchee, and Dallas appear to be the only ones defying the order to not restore mail sorting machines. USPS machines are capable of sorting over 20,000 letters in an hour, and are roughly the size of a city bus. Without them, postal service employees tell KUOW that it “would take a crew of 20 to 30 people hand-sorting the mail all night to do what one of these machines can do in a couple hours.”

Despite messaging from DeJoy and Couch indicating no plans to reinstall these machines, Gov. Jay Inslee had previously heard from Seattle-area USPS management that they “intend to replace what they broke.” He also spoke to workers, though, who informed him that no such plan had been put into place.

|

12/4/2020 4:14 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

Just yesterday. Tracking my package, it was in my city then, it went through four different cities way north of me. Later that night, it came back with an unknown delivery date.

I get that every once in awhile, it will get to Redding Post Office then shoot back down to Sacramento, then back up to me. Few months ago it was really bad, seems to have gotten better lately.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

12/4/2020 4:24 PM

Its not just USPS packages, Fedex and UPS are already getting backed up and the collaborations like smartpost and such that use both fedex and the post office to move a package really makes it a cluster. If you want it in time for xmas you may be in for a rude awaking. blush

|

Ed Johnson

12/4/2020 4:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2020 5:00 PM

Taotech wrote:

I was expecting a USPS package here in NC today. Tracking shows it sitting in KY since wed. ☹️

Had that happen ... pkg sat in Forrest Lake usps for 3 days ... note ... I've been to that facility to pickup and I could've stopped by one of the days it was there ... was 12min away ... oh well

|

12/4/2020 7:38 PM

Chance1216 wrote:

ocscottie wrote:

I get that every once in awhile, it will get to Redding Post Office then shoot back down to Sacramento, then back up to me. Few months ago it was really bad, seems to have gotten better lately.

It’s a bit frustrating honestly. Intercepting Christmas gifts so the wife doesn’t see is next to impossible. I saw the package was in Tacoma (the next city over) out for delivery when I got home from work and now, the delivery date is unknown. Even today LOL.

|

12/4/2020 7:53 PM

I’ve always had issues with USPS. If I have to ship anything of importance I always go UPS. The postal service made it necessary for me to pay 100% of my bills online as I could not rely on them to get my checks to creditors/utilities on time. Letters/thank you note to relatives.friends less than 100 miles away would take 5-7 days to get there.

It’s amazing a company like Amazon can figure out how to get me just about anything I order within 24-48 hours and USPS hasn’t figured it out after all these years.

I would imagine with all of the online shopping thanks to retail stores being restricted to in person shopping, this holiday season will see a lot of gifts not being under the tree in time for Christmas.

|

12/4/2020 9:03 PM

I'm surprised this thread was only started 14 hours ago. I started experiencing USPS slow downs of packages I was sending and receiving last May thru the summer.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

12/4/2020 11:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2020 11:11 PM

I work for USPS....without going into all the details if you are sending/receiving something you are at this time better off using UPS/Fedex. There are major issues going on depending on what distribution hubs they pass through.

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

12/5/2020 3:22 AM

Chance1216 wrote:

ocscottie wrote:

Chance1216 wrote:

It’s a bit frustrating honestly. Intercepting Christmas gifts so the wife doesn’t see is next to impossible. I saw the package was in Tacoma (the next city over) out for delivery when I got home from work and now, the delivery date is unknown. Even today LOL.

I have anything I don’t want the wife to find sent to my work address cause they’ll fuck me every time on the delivery date.

|

12/5/2020 7:16 AM

Vet57 wrote:

I work for USPS....without going into all the details if you are sending/receiving something you are at this time better off using UPS/Fedex. There are major issues going on depending on what distribution hubs they pass through.

Fug

|

12/5/2020 8:08 AM

KennyT wrote:

I’ve always had issues with USPS. If I have to ship anything of importance I always go UPS. The postal service made it necessary for me to pay 100% of my bills online as I could not rely on them to get my checks to creditors/utilities on time. Letters/thank you note to relatives.friends less than 100 miles away would take 5-7 days to get there.

It’s amazing a company like Amazon can figure out how to get me just about anything I order within 24-48 hours and USPS hasn’t figured it out after all these years.

I would imagine with all of the online shopping thanks to retail stores being restricted to in person shopping, this holiday season will see a lot of gifts not being under the tree in time for Christmas.

If you send your bill payment via UPS, it’s about 17 times as expensive than USPS......

The USPS has generally done a very good job with what they do, which is why it’s so hard to understand why the actions to hurt their abilities were taken. Without the bizarre pension funding requirement that no other “competitor” has, they’d be in very solid financial position. At least self supporting.

The routing nightmares like you described were not caused by the career experts in the field, but rather by appointees (of any political party) that come in via a rotating door based on administration changes and fail to look at long term effects.

The Seattle area is a good example. There were some consolidations of sorting centers over the last 15-20 years that were justified by a promise of reduced costs. What actually happened was a net increase in costs, and a lengthening of delivery times that were also promised not to happen.

The USPS is far from perfect, but overall they do a pretty good job with the restrictions and hindrances that they’ve been given by people without a long term stake at best, or even a conflict of interest at worst.

|

12/5/2020 8:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2020 8:45 AM

reded wrote:

I have anything I don’t want the wife to find sent to my work address cause they’ll fuck me every time on the delivery date.

I thought about that but, I try to minimize my presence at the office. The last thing I want is to stop by there after plumbing all day in dirt then, get asked a bunch of dumb questions about my project by people who don’t even know what their looking at when they’re on the job site.

|

12/5/2020 8:29 AM

KennyT wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

If you send your bill payment via UPS, it’s about 17 times as expensive than USPS......

The USPS has generally done a very good job with what they do, which is why it’s so hard to understand why the actions to hurt their abilities were taken. Without the bizarre pension funding requirement that no other “competitor” has, they’d be in very solid financial position. At least self supporting.

The routing nightmares like you described were not caused by the career experts in the field, but rather by appointees (of any political party) that come in via a rotating door based on administration changes and fail to look at long term effects.

The Seattle area is a good example. There were some consolidations of sorting centers over the last 15-20 years that were justified by a promise of reduced costs. What actually happened was a net increase in costs, and a lengthening of delivery times that were also promised not to happen.

The USPS is far from perfect, but overall they do a pretty good job with the restrictions and hindrances that they’ve been given by people without a long term stake at best, or even a conflict of interest at worst.

I would never send a bill UPS. I do all my bills online now and have for several years. I’m talking packages.

USPS has had a very long history of a inability to do a simple job. They should be shut down. Any other failing business would never be allowed to perform so poorly, lose money and yet still stay in business. Hopefully we not be dealing with them too much longer

|

12/5/2020 2:12 PM

Among other things, USPS has not done a great job of keeping up with online retailer growth. This has been happening every year for the last decade and seems to get progressively slower each year.

|

12/5/2020 6:36 PM

Amazon isn’t the greatest either. They like to leave my boxes in wierd places to get destroyed by weather. I got a wrap around porch. No need to do that.

|

GP740
Since 1987