Anyone bought a house lately? Down payment?

Pirate421
Transferring for work to a small town in Kentucky and there is a possibility that we will only be there 1-3 years. I would really like to rent something, but the rental market is all but non existent there.

We are starting to talk to real estate agents but not moving until June. Has anyone bought recently and are comfortable sharing what their out of pocket costs to buy were? I’m trying to figure out how much we may be looking at putting down and then how much roughly other costs were out of pocket if anyone wants to share their experience.

I know there are a million different things to take into consideration like credit scores, down payments, lawyers fees, inspections and interest rates but I just want to get a gauge for what kind of out of pocket money we may be looking at. The houses we are interested in are in the $200-$225k range.

Also if anyone has had a house that they have had to sell within a year to few years, how big of a hit did you take? Thanks this is our first house and I’m stressing all these things!
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/30/2020 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2020 4:14pm
That's a huge can of worms, but here's what I know:

Banks like to see 20% equity. In other words, 20% down. If you cannot meet this requirement, you'll most likely have to get Private Mortgage Insurance. You pay for this coverage, but it actually insures the bank against you defaulting on the loan. Crappy, right?

You can also get by with 3% down on an FHA loan. I believe Bank of America is also offering $0 down loans now. I don't know for sure, but I would guess they are raping you on the interest rate or fees with those loan products.

Also, keep in mind that home prices have been soaring for a while now. In my opinion, a little too much, at least here in CA. I don't know about KY. There is bound to be another adjustment soon and hopefully it doesn't tank the whole economy like what happened in 2008/2009. Just be careful what you buy and for how much. If you are planning to sell in the short-term, you're probably OK. In the near-to-mid-term (3 years or so,) I'd be worried. Ten years or more, you're fine.

Finally, if this is your primary residence, you can sell it after 2 years and avoid paying capital gains tax. If you sell it before then and make money, Uncle Sam wants some of it.

Other posters, chime in if I'm missing something.
Pirate421
1/30/2020 4:19pm
Thanks. It will be our primary residence. I am aware of the pmi and my wife and I both a
Have VA loans that we can use as well. It’s a little harder getting realtors who are well versed in those.

The market correction is something that is definitely worrying. We found one rental house that has a nice garage and 17 acres which would be awesome ( track? Haha) but it’s way over what we want to pay. We get a housing allowance of about $915 to help but the rent is around $1800 so I don’t want to be house poor.

Wife and I have been really good about saving money and staying out of debt, but with this recent transfer we weren’t quite expecting to have to buy so soon, and then possibly have to move. If we were guaranteed to be there 4-5 years I’d be much less stressed.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
1/30/2020 5:46pm
Whatever you do...don’t let your in-laws move in to save money..Falcon left that out from “what he knows”..Laughing

The Shop

Mx286
1/30/2020 7:36pm
What part of KY are you going to? I’m in the western part of the state in Owensboro.

The market here is up. We bought a town house in 2015 for 89k, and sold it back in November for 119k.

If your getting a housing allowance of $915 from your work or wherever I would buy a 150k house. That would put you around the 1k a month mark for total payment. Use their money and not that much of yours. Do a few upgrades yourself and if the market stays the same you’ll be able to sell it for the same if not more. Don’t put any money down save yours, use that allowance, and damn near live there for free.
1/30/2020 7:42pm
Are you near a military installation ? Consider renting it to military after you leave....rates historic lows. Good opportunity....
JM485
1/31/2020 7:49am
I’m dying laughing at these housing pricesLaughing You want to buy a small house in CA near a place with work, you’re not touching one for less than 500k right now. . .
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/31/2020 8:30am
Brad460 wrote:
Whatever you do...don’t let your in-laws move in to save money..Falcon left that out from “what he knows”..Laughing
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. Sick

FML
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
sleeve1
Fantasy
1966th
1/31/2020 8:48am
I used my VA loan to buy my house through Quicken Loans. They made very easy. Hope this helps.
Titan1
1/31/2020 11:01am
If you are in rural kentucky...you could probably purchase with a USDA Rural housing loan. No money down, have your agent negotiation to have the sellers pay all your closing costs...walk into the house with no money out of pocket (seriously).

These loans have very low rates, and very inexpensive mortgage insurance (they call it an "annual fee", but for all intents and purposes its private mortgage insurance).

If you aren't in an area that is eligible for a USDA loan...if you're a veteran, get a VA loan (no money down, no private mortgage insurance)...if you aren't a veteran...then you'll be looking at a 3% down conventional loan, or 3.5% down FHA loan (which is best for you depends on credit score...the higher the credit score the more financially beneficial the conventional loan is).

Most states/counties have various down payment assistance, grant programs...I don't know about Kentucky though...those could be used to help cover your down payment and/or closing costs.

Closing costs will depend entirely on the rate you pick. Rates and fees are like a "teeter-totter" on a play ground...as rates go down on one side...fees go up on the other...and visa versa.

So you can have a lower rate with higher fees....or a higher rate with literally no fees (your lender will pay them for you)...or some place in between. If you won't be there long (less than 3-5 years) then take the higher rate and pay no fees. It's cheaper to pay a .5%-.75% higher rate for a few years than it is to pay thousands in closing costs.

I hope that helps!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/31/2020 11:34am
One more thing: if and when your home will appraise for 25% more than the loan balance (your loan balance is 80% of the home's value,) demand that the bank drop the PMI. Most times, they will. The other times, you refinance and tell the bank to suck it. Wink
Titan1
1/31/2020 11:44am
Falcon wrote:
One more thing: if and when your home will appraise for 25% more than the loan balance (your loan balance is 80% of the home's value,)...
One more thing: if and when your home will appraise for 25% more than the loan balance (your loan balance is 80% of the home's value,) demand that the bank drop the PMI. Most times, they will. The other times, you refinance and tell the bank to suck it. Wink
Yes!

Unless you have a government loan (FHA, VA, USDA)...the mortgage insurance is permanent on those...so you have to refinance to a conventional loan to get out of PMI.

Most mortgage servicers will make you pay PMI for at least two years...but after two years, and/or your mortgage balance is less than or equal to 80% of the value of your home (whichever comes later) call your mortgage servicer and ask them what it takes to get rid of the PMI.
Pirate421
1/31/2020 2:40pm
Ok thanks for all the insight! We will most likely use a VA loan. My wife and I are both eligible for one so we will use one here.

I’ve heard a lot of different opinions On whether to put money down or not. We have down payment money set aside but if it doesn’t really matter because we’ll only have the house a few years maybe we’ll do 3% and save the rest.
Titan1
1/31/2020 2:55pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Ok thanks for all the insight! We will most likely use a VA loan. My wife and I are both eligible for one so we will...
Ok thanks for all the insight! We will most likely use a VA loan. My wife and I are both eligible for one so we will use one here.

I’ve heard a lot of different opinions On whether to put money down or not. We have down payment money set aside but if it doesn’t really matter because we’ll only have the house a few years maybe we’ll do 3% and save the rest.
If you're doing a VA loan...you don't have to have any money down, unless you want too.

On a VA loan, if you can get to 5% down, it will save you some money on VA's upfront funding fee (that they just roll into your loan), and you'll finance less money so you'll have a lower monthly payment. That is the only benefit of putting money down.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
1/31/2020 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2020 4:04pm
We just sold our first house and bought our 2nd in November due to a job transfer.

1st house after just over 2 years of ownership would sold it for 6.5% more which would have just covered the realtor fees. I was fortunate, work covered realtor fees for selling the house and some other stuff so we did pretty well but would have broken even more or less when it was all said and done if we sold purely on our own. Be picky on your realtor, one told us we wouldn't make what i wanted on the house, had 2 full price offers almost immediately when i told my realtor what i wanted to sell it for (above her recommendation).

We put 20% down both times. Went from a 15yr mortgage to a 30yr on the new house (bought a house larger than an apartment this go around) and actually ended up with an even better interest rate surprisingly. Think were at 3.25% for a 30yr.

You need to see if your work covers a lot of this as that'll provide some comfort in your decision making. We have a stop loss program that they'll make up the difference if the market takes a crap when they transfer you again. Some companies have a lot of perks, but you need to know them to take advantage. Ask your HR if you haven't already.
Pirate421
1/31/2020 4:18pm
1983YZ125 wrote:
We just sold our first house and bought our 2nd in November due to a job transfer. 1st house after just over 2 years of ownership...
We just sold our first house and bought our 2nd in November due to a job transfer.

1st house after just over 2 years of ownership would sold it for 6.5% more which would have just covered the realtor fees. I was fortunate, work covered realtor fees for selling the house and some other stuff so we did pretty well but would have broken even more or less when it was all said and done if we sold purely on our own. Be picky on your realtor, one told us we wouldn't make what i wanted on the house, had 2 full price offers almost immediately when i told my realtor what i wanted to sell it for (above her recommendation).

We put 20% down both times. Went from a 15yr mortgage to a 30yr on the new house (bought a house larger than an apartment this go around) and actually ended up with an even better interest rate surprisingly. Think were at 3.25% for a 30yr.

You need to see if your work covers a lot of this as that'll provide some comfort in your decision making. We have a stop loss program that they'll make up the difference if the market takes a crap when they transfer you again. Some companies have a lot of perks, but you need to know them to take advantage. Ask your HR if you haven't already.
Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. Unfortunately work doesn’t cover any of that but I have a small amount of control over how long we stay, for example I could delay a promotion for a year that would get us close to 4 years there if it really comes down to it ( hopefully not).
1/31/2020 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2020 4:25pm
Rural Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia I believe are the best bang for your buck. You can get a lot of land and square footage in the 200s.

I think to get a compareable place to mine in California id pay like 1-3 million depending on location. California is insane!! I’d imagine you’re making more out there though. Not sure.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
2/1/2020 6:28am
Another thing i would recommend as your looking at houses on zillow, trulia, etc is see how the house prices have trended. At the bottom of most of these sites for the house you're looking at, you can see when it sold, how much, etc and see how the price of the house has increased/decreased over time and in the last few years, and i found the recommendation, at least in my little experience to not be that far off. Not perfect, but gives an indication at least.

I suspect with the move to be during summer time, a lot more will pop up for you to choose from and potentially some rental options that you don't see now. We started looking in July as i thought i was getting transferred and ton of awesome houses, when we finally did lock down a transfer in mid September most of the houses that fit our criteria had dried up. We only looked at probably 3-4 houses we were actually interested in (around a HUGE part of Houston), the rest were fillers just to see if maybe we were willing to consider a neighborhood, smaller yard, etc.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
2/1/2020 10:05am
Falcon wrote:
One more thing: if and when your home will appraise for 25% more than the loan balance (your loan balance is 80% of the home's value,)...
Nope...since 2013, if your loan requires PMI, which all FHA loans do...PMI can never be dropped for the life of the loan. To do away with PMI you have to refinance into a loan which does not require it. That's why I wont refinance my loan again. Can;t get a decent rate on a conventional, and I don't pay PMI anymore
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/1/2020 10:57am
Falcon wrote:
Nope...since 2013, if your loan requires PMI, which all FHA loans do...PMI can never be dropped for the life of the loan. To do away with...
Nope...since 2013, if your loan requires PMI, which all FHA loans do...PMI can never be dropped for the life of the loan. To do away with PMI you have to refinance into a loan which does not require it. That's why I wont refinance my loan again. Can;t get a decent rate on a conventional, and I don't pay PMI anymore
With an FHA don’t you pay the mortgage insurance up front? If I recall when I was in my younger 20’s we built a house and had an FHA loan and had to pay a couple thousand up front. We sold the house a couple years later and got a partial refund on that mortgage insurance we had paid up front.

For a conventional loan (as we know) you have to pay PMI if you don’t have 20% down...that being said it won’t automatically drop off until your loan reaches 22% equity.
Pirate421
2/1/2020 12:07pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like right now we will most likely use a VA loan. I believe instead of PMI they charge a fee (I’ve heard 1-2% maybe?) instead of the PMI but I’m not positive on that.
Titan1
2/1/2020 5:37pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like right now we will most likely use a VA loan. I believe instead of PMI they charge a...
Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like right now we will most likely use a VA loan. I believe instead of PMI they charge a fee (I’ve heard 1-2% maybe?) instead of the PMI but I’m not positive on that.
Yes...VA charges an upfront “funding fee” it can be as high as 2.5% depending on how many times you’ve used your benefit and your type of service. It’s automatically added to your loan.

No monthly insurance at all.

Post a reply to: Anyone bought a house lately? Down payment?

The Latest