Anyone 3D printing

Jeremy A.K.
Edited Date/Time 11/18/2022 3:46am
Long story short ,I was given a megazero 2.0 . I'll end up watching YouTube videos for more info. Just curious what programs to use for designing or programming. I'm not new to cad or programming CNCs ,I just assumed these were slightly different. I also have access to a Farro scanning arm that will be fun to work with once I get further along.
|
SEEMEFIRST
9/1/2022 10:59pm
The difference is they use slices like a topographical map. Or simple printing.
Z is different.
Jeremy A.K.
9/2/2022 4:07am
I went down a decent youtube rabbit hole last night before bed . From what I can tell you go from a cad file to a slicer program then to the machine. I'll probably just end up getting a copy of fusion 360 and curaslice and go from there. I'll be printing useless trinkets in no time lol.
lestat
9/2/2022 7:34am
My buddy just started printing and he has settled on using Fusion360 and the Prusa slicer . He has been getting good results with that combo so far .
Searights
9/2/2022 7:52am
What are some practical applications for the layman?

I’m intrigued by the technology👍

The Shop

JM485
9/2/2022 1:51pm
As a lot of guys here know, I run my 3d printing company 3DP Moto on the side, so I'm knee deep in FDM style printing almost daily. I would highly recommend Fusion 360 for your home CAD program, it's plenty capable and it's what I use for any modeling that I do at home, and even some at work when I can sneak it in. As far as slicers go, I've been most happy with good old Cura, it's pretty easy to use but packed with a lot of useful features and parameters. I've dabbled with Prusa Slicer and really don't like it at all, however Ideamaker from Raise 3D was actually my go-to for a while so if you don't like Cura that may be a good option.

Keep in mind that different materials (and even similar materials from different companies) will require vastly different settings. I print mostly with a firmer durometer TPU for a lot of my parts, but also get into the more exotic carbon infused filaments on occasion depending on what I'm printing. Feel free to shoot me a message through the 3DP site if you run into any snags or have any questions, the PM system here never seems to work for me.

Jeremy A.K.
9/2/2022 2:52pm
Searights wrote:

Some guys turn it into a business ,I'm more interested in just tinkering and getting my kids exposed to that line of thinking . I have a couple projects I'd like to play around with for attaching a paracord to my bow for pulling it up in the tree.
SEEMEFIRST
9/2/2022 8:33pm
Searights wrote:

Some guys turn it into a business ,I'm more interested in just tinkering and getting my kids exposed to that line of thinking . I have...
Some guys turn it into a business ,I'm more interested in just tinkering and getting my kids exposed to that line of thinking . I have a couple projects I'd like to play around with for attaching a paracord to my bow for pulling it up in the tree.
Any name brand will get you on track. Prusa seemed pretty simple, but I've been playing with solid works for 20 years.
I suppose once you understand what you are telling the machine to do, it becomes easier .

Your question maybe should include your experience in CAD/CAM.
SEEMEFIRST
9/2/2022 8:38pm
Oh, we're still using Prusa just because it came with the unit, and it talks to solidworks.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
9/2/2022 8:48pm
Like mentioned, you can basically use any CAD system, then a slicer like Cura, then to machine. I use Creo but dialing in the bed, heat and nozzle are going to be more important. CAD only plays a big part if you find software limitations handicapping geometry you want to create.
SEEMEFIRST
9/2/2022 9:25pm
seth505 wrote:
Like mentioned, you can basically use any CAD system, then a slicer like Cura, then to machine. I use Creo but dialing in the bed, heat...
Like mentioned, you can basically use any CAD system, then a slicer like Cura, then to machine. I use Creo but dialing in the bed, heat and nozzle are going to be more important. CAD only plays a big part if you find software limitations handicapping geometry you want to create.
Copy.
With the little things we do it doesn't matter.

Sorry I thought you were less advanced.
Searights
9/2/2022 9:53pm
Searights wrote:

Some guys turn it into a business ,I'm more interested in just tinkering and getting my kids exposed to that line of thinking . I have...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Any name brand will get you on track. Prusa seemed pretty simple, but I've been playing with solid works for 20 years. I suppose once you...
Any name brand will get you on track. Prusa seemed pretty simple, but I've been playing with solid works for 20 years.
I suppose once you understand what you are telling the machine to do, it becomes easier .

Thank you all! Once again, I’m outside of my element and I appreciate the info before I made a needless foolish purchase. I’ll leave the expertise to those of you in the know. If you have the means, I’d love an RM125CWink
SEEMEFIRST
9/2/2022 10:24pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Any name brand will get you on track. Prusa seemed pretty simple, but I've been playing with solid works for 20 years. I suppose once you...

Searights wrote:
Thank you all! Once again, I’m outside of my element and I appreciate the info before I made a needless foolish purchase. I’ll leave the expertise...
Thank you all! Once again, I’m outside of my element and I appreciate the info before I made a needless foolish purchase. I’ll leave the expertise to those of you in the know. If you have the means, I’d love an RM125CWink
Standard color?
Jeremy A.K.
9/3/2022 5:33am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2022 5:36am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

I started with cadkey 97 in 2000 ,switched to mastercam in 2003 til last year when I switched to Tebis. I have my journeyman papers in plastic injection mold building . Between cad and melted plastic I have a decent understanding . I was hoping the learning curve would be small. I just realized yesterday that my laptop is no where close to being able to run cad or a slicer program lol. I should probably start another thread about laptop recommendations next .
Searights
9/3/2022 8:16am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

Searights wrote:
Thank you all! Once again, I’m outside of my element and I appreciate the info before I made a needless foolish purchase. I’ll leave the expertise...
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Standard color?
Yes please! Lol
Jeremy A.K.
11/18/2022 3:46am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2022 3:51am

Got my first project done ,printed ABS. We ended up going with grabcad for programing . Printer is a stratasys F370. The dual extruder heads is super trick. One for modeling material and one for support material. After the build is done it goes in a high PH water and the support material disolves.

Post a reply to: Anyone 3D printing

The Latest